Whats holding you back from slapping a turbo, supercharger, nitrious or rebuilding your engine right now?

>Whats holding you back from slapping a turbo, supercharger, nitrious or rebuilding your engine right now?

I don't have garage space so no way of re-building the car since no garage or work space at all

I'm at work, from 0500 to 2300, the whole week

No garage space, no tools, complicated inspections for better or worse.

Money.

1400 for the block
400 for the heads

not to mention all the new accessories I need to complete the swap.

I've got about 2k aside for it right now, I'll probably jump on it when it gets closer to 3k.

only money
i can barely afford gas

The older I get the more I want to start wrenching on cars again

I used to work on my car constantly, hang out at car clubs and I've taken a few years off from this hobby

These days, I'm looking for a reason to get back into it but so much has changed I moved a long distance and now have no garage and most of my tools are 2k miles in another state

Damn, this desire to start wrenching is real though

>inb4 mid life crisis

Your Veeky Forums sign the poster is a complete poser

"Just drop a - in there"
"Slap in a turbo"
"Awd swap"

Sad.

It already has a tarbo and doesn't need a rebuild.

Because I think the guys in Modena did a good job on the engine and I'd rather not fuck with it.

I like turtles

Got my engine rebuilt and thanks to this little bit of surface they fucked up, #6 cylinder went from 150 psi to 20 psi on a compression test and half of my lifters were leaking by. So fucking mad, had to bring the engine to get my money back and they traded me engines for one that actually worked, all this in one 3 day weekend. Engine swapping is tiring man.

Military?

...fucking disgusting

wat respectable shop would let that leave in that condition?

Its missing two valves aswell

A bit of my soul died. The shop manager was cool about it though. Said he owes me a big one and that he was gonna kill one of his guys

I'd be fucking heated, assuming you already swapped it in, and had it running and driving

I'd rather just save my money and try finding the model of my car that came with a supercharger

No garage to have a project car to wrench on
I'd sell my bike to buy a e30 325i and work on it for a weekend each month

> Cost
> Insurance costs
> Lack of technical knowledge
> Lack of a need for that crap anyway

I have a plan for going faster already. It involves a much smaller engine and weight loss up to and including half the wheels and most of the chassis.

I'm a poorfag

And my 2.5 i5 is an open-deck block so what the fuck is the point of boosting that thing anyway

I care about longevity, tyvm

i'm stupid and don't have the tools to begin with

>2.5 inline 5
VAG? There's a turbo variant of that thing that can make pretty great power in the RS3 and TTRS, bottom ends are basically the same between the turbo and NA version.

>VAG? There's a turbo variant of that thing that can make pretty great power in the RS3 and TTRS, bottom ends are basically the same between the turbo and NA version.
Yes but I have the open-deck N/A model of that engine.

I mean maybe if I actually got off my fat ass and enlisted in the .mil, then maybe I'd pay to swap in an RS3 engine or something but then at that point I might as well buy an R32 or a Golf R so I could put power down to all four wheels

Apparently the blocks between the NA and turbo variants are the same thing, unless there's an open-deck variant the internet doesn't know about.

Is it even worth it to slap a tarbo on that thing just so I can make an extra 20-50WHP? I mean it's a FWD """"""hot hatch""""""

In turbo form they make like 360hp, stock. Plenty of power potential there, 250 shouldn't be hard to achieve and should still be somewhat controllable in terms of torque steer.

What engine are you using? What plans do you have for it?

Dohc/sohc?

it's already got a turbo and at 15k miles it probably doesnt need a rebuild.

nitrous is shit, so I went WMI.

Have no money for a tarbo or a B18C swap, which are the two biggest things that I want to do.

>t. Acura Integra LS

Right now? Researching a bunch of options for a future build, which is basically a nice way of saying I don't own a car and am basically just "benchbuilding" if you will.

My car is an old rusty piece of shit econobox with a 1.6, and somehow it only has 160,000km and a timing chain, so besides a little oil getting past the rings when I'm hard on the gas, it needs nothing besides a front strut.
With the money I'd spend grenading my engine with a turbo, or saving an extra $5 a month on oil by doing a rebuild, I could just buy a nicer car.

Trying to figure out what to do with my car. Just did konis, balljoints, bushings last year, and pieced a 6.0 ls together a couple years ago. Some dick pulled into my lane after 2 weeks on the road with the new parts and I creamed him.

Trying to decide whether to put it back together as-is or lighten it up, slap a couple turbos on while the front end is off of it, and relegate it to weekend duties. Drove it (firebird) for 14 years, daily, and love it. Just put the parts in it for another 300k miles and really don't want to part it out after all the work I've done to it.

Nothings really stopping me, just need to make up my mind.

It has two turbos on it to begin with.

>tfw don't know shit about how tarbos work

>exhaust gas goes in one side
>hot, under pressure, spins turbine
>turbine is connected to shaft
>shaft has compresor wheel on the other end
>compressor spins, compresses fresh air
>fresh, compressed air is fed into engine intake
>engine now takes in more air than it would naturally aspirated
>engine can now burn more fuel per cycle
>engine can now make more power

Tarbos in a nutshell.

Knowledge and time. I know how everything is supposed to work but have never torn anything more than a valve cover apart. Want to put nitrous on one of my shitboxes. Mainly just beacuse I dont want to attempt making a custom manifold

taking on great burdens and overcoming them gives life purpose and meaning. as we experience the passing of time we seek to do more with the time we have left, more meaningful things

the typical deplorable "mid-life crisis" is the idiot that gets hit with this phenomenon and can't make out what is happening, so in a misguided attempt to make his life more purposeful he takes out a $100,000 loan to hop into a brand new performance car and drive it around. the high from this lasts about a 1-4 weeks, then hes back to purposelessness and $99,500 more debt

you are on the right track user. take on the great burden of a project car, spend your "leisure time" building something greater than the sum of its parts. then enjoy the ultimate glory and fruits of your labor for the next 20-30 years after its complete. you will always be reminded of the challenge you set before yourself and conquered. then you will be poised to overcome greater and greater challenges, until the absolute challenge presents itself - facing death and meeting your maker

procrastination

>Modena
pretty sure you mean Maranello

CARB

Do what I should have done earlier but did pretty well anyway. Get your equipment together and have it mobile. Things like LARGE toolbox casters, hand trucks and other mobility aids make life easier with or without a shop. I have a shop now but I built most everything to be easily rearranged (somewhat like a welding and fabricating job site).

Garages are overrated unless you live in frozen hell. If you can place a shipping container they make fine workshop space and only require a railroad tie under each end for support. Enclosed trailers are nice too but use a removable tongue hitch like Bulldog make so you can pull two bolts and make the trailer much harder to steal. Where there's a will there's a way. Supply the will.

Trapped in an apartment? Modern heavy duty plastic carts won't fuck up your home and can be wheeled indoors easily. Northern Tool and Harbor Freight have decent carts.

When I got stationed in Kunsan I didn't bring a car (to save money) but I brought a couple of large ammo cans worth of tools. I fixed other G.I.s cars and they'd take me where I wanted to go. Real mechanics don't give a fuck. If Syrians can make usable petrol in fucking Aleppo from used engine oil and plastic scrap, the rest of us have no excuse for pussing out.

Motorcycles are more fun than cars and considerably more convenient to wrench on.

Have to remove AC to fit a super charger. I never use AC but I don't want to remove features for power.

I can't rebuild my engine because I have only /onecar/, I would need to buy another engine and work on that instead. It is probably better this way since I can take my time and do a bunch of machining to it.

>I never use AC but I don't want to remove features for power.

what are you gay?

If I did any of that fun stuff, my diff would do this.

Why'd you get an entire motor if you only needed a head?

i just bought the car and I haven't been able to drive it that much. I think an engine rebuild would be in order soon just to maintain the toppest power. That and some velocity stacks for the ITBs.

my car has a turbo stock, and I want to keep the warranty

my bike makes 170bhp from the factory which I think is enough for now

money

no, just a nerd

It already has a turbo. Check 'em.

Currently rebuilding my thousand, so it would be on my only working DD ride.

military, woohoo $600 a month after paying all my bills

Cut the fuck out of my left hand and have a fucked up tendon right now

n/a for life

Well hopefully this check I'll be buying the motor. Should be fun.

It has 480 km on it.

Can't go inside while working on car or shit gets stolen. Management doesn't give a shit about either the work or the crime.

Money and i just had a baby. Damn engine blew a coolant seal a month before the kid got here and all my spare cash has to go to getting the kid set up.

I only have one car and can't afford a 2nd one. U don't have the money to even do it half decent.

Money is the concern.

Could literally install my nitrous kit right now but it would be on my work truck which I don't want to blow up so I am waiting until the right shitbox comes along to slap it on instead. Seems like it's going to be a while until that happens..

Yup. I want to swap a diesel into my XJ Cherokee, but the more I think about what I need to do it, the less I want to.
>accessories
>vacuum pump for booster
>gearbox and tcase swap
>new driveshafts to fit
etc etc

already got two on my engine

nobody really does this stupid stuff to their cars dude, they just talk about it online
get a car that works rather than a car that's in the garage 24/7

Dont do this user. The 4.0 is gud enough in a XJ. Diesel swapped jeeps is strictly magazine bullshit tier faggotry.

I don't have a car.

This

I have no money also I'm retarded

>his shitbox isnt AWD twincharged from stock

Because the engine is the only reliable part on my bike.
Don't want to ruin it.

My engine has a 11.0:1 compression ratio.

I don't want to put any F/I on it.

i have an alfa 33, no turbo for that

no skills, no tools, no space.
and its got rust and ding dents that i want repairing first before i upgrade the engine.

Crippling depression. Also I'm broke.

California

Because I am not allowed to do car maintenance in my drive according to my housing agreement.

I was going to pay someone to do something though. I don't suppose any of you might know how much it would cost to have somebody do an engine swap, one that would require a full conversion?

I like a car that works. Want a turbo? Buy a car that comes with one.

new house doesn't have a garage, plus no time :/
I don't even change my own oil changes anymore.

I do not understand.

Money, lack of garage, no aftermarket for my car, and needing a daily.

Hybrid engine makes it impossible to do anything.

This, but add money.

Oh I see. I guess I'll save. I have a pretty ancient but rather lovely '92 Rolls Royce. Obviously can't afford a new one but would love to stick a bimmer engine in it to make it have better numbers in all ways. It does around 10mpg currently so I end up driving my Golf all the time. I want to be able to use the Rolls as a daily driver.

>I want to be able to use the Rolls as a daily driver.
Godspeed, you glorious madman. I hope you can pull it off.

>f/I
Open deck block
>nitrous
Cast pistons
>rebuilding
Already done, sorta. New headgaskets and all new seals 9000 miles ago.

Just gonna swap in an EJ205 since it bolts right in and I already have the merged wiring harness, which is the nightmare part of the swap on Subarus.

that's how you know your mods are working

I daily my car, so no mods. The engine has only 60k km on it so why would I rebuild it.

House remodel. Most of my stuff is crammed in the garage. Once that's over I will reclaim the garage space and do my Integra b20 swap. I have some covered carport space. I could probably do it now but I'd rather not leave shit out where xenomorphs can steal it.

do people have any idea how fucking complicated a decent turbo setup is?

superchargers are easy and you can't really go wrong unless you fuck up installation or run too much boost.

turbos you have to worry about BOV's to prevent compressor surges and wastegates to manage boost. Then there's intercooling, oiling, piping, sensors, and a custom exhaust manifold that has to mate with the turbine housing inlet, and an exhaust to mate to the turbine housing outlet.

>just slap on a turbo