Meme or savior of the internal combustion engine?

Meme or savior of the internal combustion engine?

It can make it into mainstream production and Veeky Forums will still call it a meme because it imagines all electronic manufacturing and quality control as still stuck in the 80s.

>Rubber seals are so futuristic and fail proof

How is it timed?

Electronically. I believe it's a pneumatic solenoid that is activated by the ECU that is set to each individual valve.

Savior? Not likely.

Extend the life? Sure. Also depends on how Democrats want to cuck cars.

its a meme till GM develops a push-rod version

ICE will never die
abiogenetic petroleum is real
lynch the oil execs

its the most important tech

CPS probably

but why? timing is good enough for up to 6000 RPM

Enough efficiency improvements to ditch DI, crazy high RPMs.

>savior
>of the internal combustion engine

Delusional.

Renault did it in the 80's for Formula 1.
Not new. No one care.
I hope it eventually makes it's way to shitboxes though.

As do I.
>no more timing belts, ever
>conversion head for Geo metro, car now survives well over one million miles without breaking a sweat

>Charles von KingKong will never camlessly actuate his benis in your butt

If it gets rushed, the electrical gremlins will be horrible.

Electronically controlled independent valves should have been in shitboxes 20 years ago, but
>muh cost cutting

Literally the only reason this isn't commonplace is corporate greed and profit margins and they could keep getting away with not doing it. I had this idea when someone first explained how engines worked to me when I was fucking 12.

Or maybe because cam actuated valves have been refined to perfection after a century of use.

Who cares? Why bother with more perfecting when something better comes along? The moment there existed a linear actuator capable of lifting a valve fast enough, they should have been lifting valves in an engine.

I hope you never run a business

>Everybody uses something meaning everybody knows how to fix it there's replacements everywhere every manufacturer can make it perfectly etc etc
>LETS NOT USE IT

Wait til a sensor goes out, interference happens, and you have to replace every valve in that motherfucker. Hugely expensive teardown for something that's basically a crank position sensor.

Big deal I could do it with an arduino and some copper wiring.

>Wait till a belt snaps, interference happens, and you have to replace every valve in that motherfucker. Hugely expensive teardown for something that's basically a rubber band.

Free valve can still be built fail-to-close, anonkun. Engineers aren't that stupid.

You will never reach the response time a a valve required for firing a solenoid that quickly and powerfully with home equipment.

Thread

Imagine how much more complicated and expensive it would be to fix those valves than ya know... normal valves...

>belt

No, I have a real engine.

>close-on-failure

Well yeah, you'd think so. I was thinking more along the lines of opening at the wrong time as opposed to staying open...

The low end of a lawn mower with the top end of a rotary.

Very. But you don't have to pay for the camshafts, pulleys, stem ends, and the actuators that make mechanical vvt possible.

Devil is in the details. Direct injection was a thing long before it was ubiquitously implimented.

Fair enough. Most cars on the road still use belts.

I see what you mean about opening at the wrong time. That would more of a software issue than a sensor problem - most sensors I've worked with in engine controls (MechE fag here) hardly break on a way that still reports values that a little off - they usually just stop reporting.

Either way, you can mitigate the issues on software with fail checks. It just depends how good your developer is...

>electronics
>failing

nice meme

My crank shaft position sensor began to fail, instead of the ecu trying to guess and squirt fuel and fire plugs it just said "fuck it, i aint doing shit without a signal" I imagine that is how freevalve would fail as well.
It would probably be easier and cheaper to fix... sort of. The actuator will probably be kind of expensive, but to replace you would remove valve cover (unit). remove control unit and replace individual actuator.
Things you no longer have to worry about: cam(which rarely has a problem), lifters, rockers, timing chain, timing chain guides.

Yeah if you cant get readings on the crank position, you're engine doesn't have a clue of what is going on in the grand scheme of things. That's for the best.

For free valve, I'd imagine they would still use springs to keep the valves closed without input, but if a solenoid did fail, it would probably just shut the affected cylinder off while keeping another valve open to prevent it being like a Jake brake.

Dems will cuck cars but they'll force the adoption of hybrids first. When that happens, engine swaps will become much more routine as the "connection" into the vehicle won't be physical gears, but power cables.

Make the engine bigger problem solved and it has more horsepower.
Duh

go back to /pol/