Hello Veeky Forums. I recently bought a 74 Nova swapped with a 350. It runs but it's a project...

Hello Veeky Forums. I recently bought a 74 Nova swapped with a 350. It runs but it's a project. My next step is to get a new carb. My current 600cfm edlebrock spits gas and is beyond my expertise. I'm thinking about a Holley 650. What do you guys think

If you can't figure out the quadrajet/edlebrok you won't be able to figure out the Holly

get someone who knows what he is doing to help you

>spits gas
What? Vapor locks? Floods the engine?

mom says carbs are bad

she says they are the reason men wont touch her

Yeah bro, it's time to go to a mechanic.

i bet he means front fires

Literally leaks gas onto top of intake manifold sometimes

And on top of that it occasionally doesn't spray gas at all, real hit or miss

efi swap it

Then get a new gasket, and a rebuild kit for new gaskets for the unit ya dingus

Sounds like you need a rebuild. It's not that hard.

I took it to a mechanic and he said id be better off throwing it away

mmm yes rebuild me daddy

>I took it to a mechanic and he said id be better off throwing it away

buy a new carb and have someone tune it for you then

If the thing is a leaky mess you should not really need a mechanic to tell you that it's a leaky mess though... just saying

Post a picture of your Edelbrock... I'll show you mine ;)

What kind of cam do you have?

How much horsepower do you think you are making?

My guess is you don't need a 650, you are just going to waste gas and cause slow throttle response

I took it to him for another issue but opted for a second opinion on it- rebuild or new

Umm this is the carbonator right? ;^)

The edddy is a fine carb and IMO better for lower powered engines than a Holly, I would get a 500cfm new eddy and sell the one you have on ebay, some faggot will buy it to rebuild

are you running headers? What kind of cam and heads do you have? Automatic or manual?

where did you get the engine?

I was told mild cam by the guy I bought it from but haven't verified what it is exactly. I'd say somewhere in the 300's

Well it definitely needs a cleaning. I recommend boiling in a solution of 1 part lemonade and 5 parts distilled water and then drying with compressed air

>I was told mild cam by the guy I bought it from but haven't verified what it is exactly. I'd say somewhere in the 300's

What about the heads, what kind of heads are you running and is it manual or auto?

I srsly doubt you need more than 500 cfm, are you running headers?

what is the compression?

people always put carbs that are way too big on engines like that

That's the kicker. Was originally inline 6 with 3 on the tree but was swapped along with some other upgrades. Previous owner was pretty useless and I had to find out most of this

yassss clean it daddy

>That's the kicker. Was originally inline 6 with 3 on the tree but was swapped along with some other upgrades. Previous owner was pretty useless and I had to find out most of this

What did you find out? Again, what kind of heads are they? Is it auto or manual?

When you nail the throttle does it seem to take a second to react and "catch up" ?

Th350 auto shifts real smooth, relocated to the floor with ratcheting shifter. throttle response is instant when the carb is running good. Not sure about heads or comp ratio yet. Only bought her a few days ago

Get it compression tested and have someone who is knowledgeable tell you what kind of heads and flow you have going on there and if you have headers or not

pay for a dyno pull or a pro tuner to suggest a carb

there is a huge fucking difference between a 500cfm carb and a 650, don't just throw on a 650 without knowing the makeup of the rest of the engine

It would be stupid to replace it. It's not difficult to do. What's the point of a project car if you are going to give up on a tiny issue and throw a part at it? Going to be a long and expensive road if that's your plan. A rebuild kit is $30 and you will learn a bit about how your car works. Nothing wrong with that Edlebrock carb you have.