Everyone knows v8 is the greatest engine configuration of all time, but which is the worst?

Everyone knows v8 is the greatest engine configuration of all time, but which is the worst?

v6 or i4?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YQmKRVEriKs
youtube.com/watch?v=7_veTPEXgW4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fpbp

V6, although compact it is inherently unstable.

flat 8 is better than the v8

Flat engines are worse.

AWESOME thread OP

>newfags can't into sage

nah

No-one ever acknowledges the existence of the 3 cylinder engines on this board

I3.
No balance at all, and the odd number of cylinders makes it a bitch.
Closely followed by the V5 and the Wankel rotary.

The best is C12, followed by the Deltic.

*blocks your path*

360 degree I2

These posts, really.

>VR5
the absolute mad men

I own one. It's alright. Vibrates like your mom, but it's all a part of the charm.

Worst is probably long (so inline) with an odd number of cilinders.

Probably the inline 7.

If you're only considering stuff that's actually been mass-produced, then the VR5 has to take the cake.

V6 is actually a lot better than I6. It packages so much better that it improves CoG and polar moment of inertia. Also, they're lighter. Sure, they're imbalanced, but we fixed that quite a few years ago by not making them 90 degrees.

Three cilinders are brilliant though. They're the best compromise for city cars, and they're great fun in bikes.

Flat 6.

Horrible sound.
Basically cucked to 4 liters unless you want a plane engine.
Can barely reach 4 figure power levels without massive turbo lag .
The engine is flat but it's big as fuck length and width wise and weighs as much as a alloy block LS.

You get all of the charm, but none of the retardedness, by simply buying a Volvo or Audi inline 5.

Those sound like an inline 4, this sounds like an unequal header V6 crossed with a two stroke.

Troll post is trolling, but I'll humor you.

>Horrible sound.
Opinions.
>Basically cucked to 4 liters unless you want a plane engine.
Not really. It's just that the architecture of the current Porsche flat six, which is the single example we've got right now, can only go to 4L. If they had planned ahead, and allowed for a bigger bore, it could've gone beyond that. Besides, going well over 650cc/cilinder isn't done nowadays except in big V-ates.
>Can barely reach 4 figure power levels without massive turbo lag.
So will most of anything that doesn't have 6+L of engien to generate the exhaust volume you need to spin a 1000hp turbo without any lag. Antilag exists.
>The engine is flat but it's big as fuck length and width wise and weighs as much as a alloy block LS.
It's exactly as long as a V6. It's wide, but it's also low. Any 6 cilinder with two DOHC banks will weight about the same as a (pushrod) LS.

youtube.com/watch?v=YQmKRVEriKs
Doesn't sound like any inline 4 I've ever heard.

Arent flat engines shorter than v engines because you can overlap bore diameters?

cuckold; the post

It's relative, and I was thinking of Audis and Volvos made in the same era, or later.

youtube.com/watch?v=7_veTPEXgW4

See, they sound way more even. The VR5 only sounds like a 5 cylinder above 4000RPM.

There's more of a rumbly edge to the sound of most inline 5s that you don't really get anywhere else (except V10s for obvious reasons).

You mean like siamesed bores? You can apply that to all engines, even V's.

All else being identical (bore spacing, crank, etc. etc.) a flat 6 will be as long as a V6.

They don't cough and sound quite so edgy, but yeah. It's all relative, every engine configuration can have edge and rumble. VR5 is edgier than I5, to the point you're not sure if it's running quite right, but the power delivery is smooth and the feeling is glorious.

You're right, I was thinking of inline vs v. No coffee today.

B

NA i3, followed by NA flat-4.

V10. It's like you wanted to make a V12 but you ran out of budget.

spinning triangles

Fittingly only complete runts used this configuration in recent history. Namely Derdges, Ferds and Italian superVAGs.

i3's can be god tier though

You what now

>n/a I3
Basically the perfect intermediate supersports configuration.
>n/a flat 4
But that's the best packaging for a cheap sportscar.

But it's not bad. Could be worse, it could be a W10, which is retarded V5's strapped together.

>implying V10 F1 wasn't best F1

You fucking what now

What's wrong with VR engines? In my mind they're like inline engines, only better packaged.

You take that back right now

>implying up to 12 cylinders F1 wasn't best F1
F1 got overregulated and died in 2000. Sorry to hear you're too young to have witnessed the '90s.

>In my mind they're like inline engines, only with a retarded head, port and cam design
ftfy

Their packaging is only slightly better than a V6, but they're objectively more shit due to their head flow. Uneven runners, hotspots, bad chamber design, impossible to implement independent VVT/VVl, you name it.

You have 10 seconds to explain why these cars didn't use a V8 or V12.

>V6 is actually a lot better than I6. It packages so much better that it improves CoG and polar moment of inertia. Also, they're lighter. Sure, they're imbalanced, but we fixed that quite a few years ago by not making them 90 degrees.

You are stupid... your credibility, nonexistent after a stupid statement such as this...

I know for a fact the Carrera GT and M5 use and engine originally designed for F1. Not sure about the LFA, but it's probably because of similar reasons (we still had this racing engine laying around so might as well use it in our new flagship).

>Porsche
Because F1-derived
>BMW
Because V12 wouldn't fit in the E90 chassis, and a V8 would've been too similar to the then-current M3.
>LFA
Because wail, and because fuck you, it's an engineering exercise. Actually, that applies to all three.

toyota outsourced the engine for the lelfa

the block in ferrari f50 was F1 based too

>You are stupid... your credibility, nonexistent after a stupid statement such as this...
Anyone denying the superiority of the V6 over the I6 is quite stupid.

A V6 is lighter, shorter, and more square, which is better for packaging. The better packaging allows it to be mounted closer to the CoG of the vehicle, which improves handling, as does the shorter length.

Imbalance is completely irrelevant to power nowadays. We can make a V6 spin to well over 15K RPM. And with that, the only downside of the V6 is gone.

Now, if you've actually got an argument except ''You are stupid'', bring it on.

>The LFA's engineers selected a V10 engine over an equivalent displacement V8 engine for its ability to rev higher,[43] and over a V12 for its lower reciprocating mass,[14][43] allowing for more rapid engine response.

trump

There aren't any bad engines, just bad engine manufacturers.

>no argument

V8

what?

Not to mention a 2.8 vr6 weighs as much as a alloy block LS.

Iirc a DOHC (4v) iron block VR6 is heavier than most LS engines.

>the greatest engine configuration of all time,
"greatest engine ever made" reporting in