Economics class

>today

>professor says "one of the government's roles in the economy is to create a legal framework for business, and in some cases, also create the physical framework for business. For example, the government creates roads which give businesses access to a large supply of potential customers. It is impossible for any private business to create roads, but nearly all businesses benefit from the existence of roads. So the government creates the roads which are then used by businesses to conduct activities for profit. The government then taxes that profit and uses it to maintain the roads.

What is the ancap counterpoint to this? Defend your meme-ideology.

>Defend your meme-ideology
>he said expecting anyone to respond to his thread with anything except for memes

I will accept memes as legitimate answers.

ancaps are a tiny minority of retards/trolls

This is why developing nations have issues with inviting businesses.

They basically have to do the equivalent of stucking your ass in the air yelling "please FUCK ME" to just about any human who passes by. At that point you'll have to deal with a person who's willing to fuck a man who's showing his ass to the public.

more autism balls

>trusting the same government that commits atrocities on a daily basis, even against its own citizens

Not even an ancap.

We have privately built, privately maintained roads and highways here. The reason that private companies do not generally have an interest in building roads is because government already has a monopoly on them. Private roads have to use visible tolls in order to make money, but government roads just increase the tax burden, making their tolls invisible.

>Trusting anyone, even yourself.

Are you posting in /tesg/? Someone kept spamming "BUT WHO WILL BUILD THE ROADS?" there.

Tolls tend to slow the exchanges down and thus the economy. Taxes are more efficient.

For instance, the industrial revolution happened partly because tolls were removed in favor of free market.

I didn't learn anything new from this post but it put what I already knew in a fresh perspective.

>TL:DR nice post

Private buisnesses could build roads but not highways. That project is much too big for any private business to be interested in it.

That's what electronic tolls are for. You purchase the radio ID device, keep money on your toll account, and pay out of that account every time you pass the radio ID sensors.

>it is impossible for any private business to create roads.

Is it really impossible for a private construction company to go to a bunch of local businesses offering to build a road that would lead to their business from where the people live and have that build a road.

Do you think that road maintenance can't be paid for by things like advertising space (billboards, even on the road paintings) that companies may bid for like TV?

>these memes

Good shit good shit, this is nice

Do you use /tesg/ instead of glorious /tgesg/?

I'll be sharing mine. Wish we had more ancom memes like , cause they're getting a free pass they don't deserve

Ofcourse, anarcho-capitalism is way funnier.

>it is impossible for private businesses to create roads

I guess two things, your professor doesn't know what impossible means, and that he also has never been to Florida or Maryland.

getting some nice digits

No no no, clearly the 10 point average IQ difference is the explanation for all third world problems

They id so because the state was so inept at doing so they (private business) were forced into doing so out of sheer desperation and pissed off at the state circus show I-i-i mean politics.

>IQ as a valuable measure of anything

Why would a collective farm inevitably fail?

Did you ever take human nature into account?

Think that's satire

Define human nature.

>Why would a collective farm inevitably fail?

Because without exception they always do.

Lazy people force other people to work harder and become demotivated aswell to work.

>he doesn't do seasteading

>/tgesg/
Traditional Games Elder Scrolls General?

Human nature = capitalism
duh are you stupid or something? Don't you know anything? How about you take an economics class.

Think that could work?

Yeah, lore and shit. It's dope, no waifufags allowed. >>>tg/tgesg/

There is no reason roads couldn't be privately owned. Especially nowadays with electronic payments, it would not be too difficult to implement a toll system. Or perhaps a flat or tiered subscription service to a larger road company.

>but muh monopoly, muh price gouging

An overpriced road would lower the value of adjoining properties and thus the road itself, not to mention provide a clear opportunity for those adjoining properties to compete. In practice the mere threat of this would keep prices reasonable.

Furthermore, paying per usage of roads would simply encourage businesses and private individuals to be more efficient in their travel, similar to how paying for electricity makes people be more efficient with their energy usage. Few people find electric bills burdensome when used reasonably, yet the fact that you have to pay for it means there is much less wastage.

>The FDA, an agency made up of an appointed board of directors formerly and currently employed by big agra/big pharma have our best interests at heart, truly.

>mere threat
Do you seriously not know what economic barriers are? They've been documented since Adam Smith first wrote about market economy.

I didn't know it existed. I just posted there.

I only visited Veeky Forums for the first time in over a year last night. I had no idea you had an elaborate 40K alternate history thing going on.

>Chaos, Chaos everywhere
Not a fan desu.

Do you?

>assuming I'm American
America IS the anarcho-capitalist dystopia we make memes about. Ofcourse I don't trust the FDA.

Why are so many of the people who hate big pharma also the ones who tout homeopathy and crystals as not complete bullshit? Why do the people who hate big agra the ones who are afraid of GMOs simply because they have a sciency sounding acronym that hurts their brains?

What scenario do you imagine (that is so obvious you don't feel the need to say it)?

Apparently ancaps think that with electronic, the economy will magically not shrink because of the tolls.

Truth is, an anarchist capitalist world is possible, you just have to let economic growth and prosperity become memories from the past.

>Why do the people who hate big agra the ones who are afraid of GMOs simply because they have a sciency sounding acronym that hurts their brains?
This guy knows what's up. I fucking hate faggots who unironically say shit like 'I only eat organic and without chemicals'

Take a chemistry course, hippie cunts. Learn what chemicals and organic really means. And stop paying triple price for a label that says 'biologic', it doesn't mean shit either.

Do you think that roads are free now? Do you think no one pays for them? No, the taxpayer pays for them. i.e. the payment is isolated from the usage, which creates externalities, which creates economic inefficiency. But go on, call straightforward economics "magic," I'm sure it must seem that way.

Without pesticides is good. Asides from that I don't give a fuck about GMOness

I cringe every time I see a cereal box or what have you that proudly proclaims "No GMOs". When possible I avoid purchasing such products.

It's as rational as this gluten free fad but with the added "bonus" of being anti-progress.

I also cringe at the word "organic", but that's a completely different and relatively inconsequential problem.

Explain 2 me pease?

Ironically, a lot of people saying GMOs are great think we can engineer DNA the way we want to get better seedlings, and not just make these immune to poison so we can wash entire fields with it without killing the plants.

My niggers.

Organic, GMO free, biologic, gluten free, no chemicals etc. are all labels to peddle food that isn't necessarily of higher quality for triple prices to retards.

>Decide To Solve The FDA
>Appoint board with zero pharma experience
>Nobody knows what to do
>They all hire staff with extensive pharma experience and delegate

You literally cannot escape this problem in an advanced society with technical specialties.

Just wash your veggies though.

Pesticides help food stability, and food stability is VERY important to humanity. GMO pest resistant corn has the benefit of not require as much external use of pesticides, which both helps prevent pesticide resistance and the local environment.

Actual gluten intolerant here
Kinda makes me asshurt how hipsters are trivialising gluten free food
That said, gluten free food is always easier to digest than its counterpart regardless of you being intolerant to it or not

You gave me an idea.

>easier
Easier how? Because, I mean, sugar is easier to digest than complex carbohydrates.

Pesticides still heavily harm the environment.

Yes.

Economic barriers are a general principle. Going a long with 's big pharma example, daraprim. As a lifesaving drug demand is very inelastic. A small shift of the supply curve left or right has dramatic effects on price. There is no current patent for it, one could in theory make a generic version. A virtual monopoly was obtained by securing contractual rights to distribution as a legal agreement between private corporations. This allowed a price hike in excess of 5,000%.

So you're wondering if you take a commodity that is already profitable, but you can raise the price 5,000% and people will still buy it, what wouldn't there be competition? There's the obvious barriers like FDA approval for manufacture, they'd still have a monopoly for several years. Then you need to invest in manufacture and distribution, which all have high up front costs. And when your generic finally hits the market, what happens then is you compete and Daraprim quickly falls back to the original price. Because they have already paid off the investment on sunk costs and have better economies of scale, they have a competitive advantage and out compete you. You never see a cent of those 5,000% profits.

At this point there's two possibilities. Your business fails because they out compete you with their competitive advantage, you pull out of the market to cut losses and they jack up the price 5,000% again. All you've done is hurt their profits while making no profits of your own.

The other is you keep with it, inject more investment, and try to keep competing by lowering margins and just trying to not go deeper into the red. Your competing company survives, and it keeps prices down, but your profits are also awful.

Since those are the two possibilities of investing in competition, losses or very low profits, there's no motivation to compete. The competing company will not see a cent of high profits. Either way, competing is a poor return on investment.

More memes

I don't buy organic, but I think pesticides are a problem, like overuse of antibiotics. Food stability is important. That means having pesticides that work in the long term and don't have negative effects in other parts of the agriculture industry are also important. Pesticides should be regulated or taxed to discourage usage and offset negative externalities.

Food stability is much more important desu. Do you know when humans care the least about the environment? During war. Do you know what is a sure fire way to cause violent conflict? Foot shortages.

Overuse of pesticides is bad for long term food stability. It's not that pesticides are inherently bad. It's that they're good and you want to make sure they stay good.

It takes less complex/strong enzimes to break down gluten. That's why someone with problematic bowel movement could probably benefit a gluten free diet. Just as much as anyone could benefit eating more fibres for the same reason

>Pesticides should be regulated or taxed to discourage usage and offset negative externalities.
That's fair. Monsanto would love that too. Roundup isn't a pesticide and pest resistant corn would be in high demand if it became much more expensive to spray fields with pesticide.

That's fair. Same with DDT in Africa. Bad for spraying thousands of square kilometers with, maybe good to spray around the edges of homes to prevent malaria.

Forcing this meme

>. Roundup isn't a pesticide

Herbicides are pesticides, pesticides are herbicides.

>Herbicides are herbicides, pesticides are pesticides.
FTFYF

>seizing her means of production for years
Oh that got me good.

Kek.

Really praise kek with that post.

i've got more
ancap is funny as it allows everyone's perversions to be legalized, ancoms don't really exist outside of chimpouts

Bathtub vodka was illegal in Communist Russia? That doesn't sound true.

>Defend your meme-ideology.

There aren't any actual ancaps on Veeky Forums. Most postpubescents consider it a useful insult when talking to loud libertarians.

>anarcho-communism
Isn't that pretty much the ((((REAL)))) communism every tankie naps about?

>muh communism is a stateless blablabla

No state = anarchy

its ancom not the ussr

If it's not referencing anything and it doesn't make sense why home made vodka would be illegal then it's a shitty caption.

Are wars between different communes warranted under ancom philosophy?

Goddamn. Your such and autist complaining about cartoons.

Home made vodka would be illegal because it's ancom scenario you nunce
Yes it is you nunce so what

the bathtub vodka is a "means of production" the owner is hoarding for himself

>Home made vodka would be illegal because it's ancom scenario you nunce

So because it's communism anything home-made is illegal?

Just abolish the FDA and the DOA

More or less:

Are you smart enough to make your own medicine or figure out which manufactured one doesn't have hidden arsenic in it?

No, but the free market is

>It is impossible for any private business to create roads
literally what the fuck am I reading

Explain market failures.

Or the time before the FDA when you could buy feces in a bottle that claims to be medicine.

Or explain how the free market is going to not take bribes from monopolies so they agree that this medicine doesn't contain arsenic.

That's silly though. Communism is only concerned with the exploitation of workers through the onwership of the means of production. Someone who produces something without hiring someone else is not a violation of that philosophy. Even if they had other people working on it it still wouldn't be agains ancom philosophy if they all owned an equal share of the meas of production of the vodka.

Some caps are good. Some are bad. This one is bad.

I like the rope factory being closed down though. That made me chuckle.

Explain government failures, like any of the times a drug had to be recalled by the FDA after passing through supposedly rigorous testing and killing scores of people

It's private property which would not be allowed.

I'd also wouldn't share my bathtub vodka unless I got something in return

>It's private property which would not be allowed.
No, that's not how it works. Ancom can produce and own things. They just can't exploit workers. Every should have a share of what they produce. It's just not fair when 1000 workers are building cars but most of the money goes to one dude who does relatively nothing.

Are you retarded? If there was no FDA you would have thousands of prescriptions drugs that would do jack shit. Half of them would have chemicals hazardous to your health.

Capitalism motivates people to make money no? It does not motivate people to do the moral thing. Self interest does not mean interest of other people. If you aren't a autist you have to agree.

That is the point of these an-cap cartoons. Life under an-cap would be shitty because people would try to fuck everyone else over to the best of their abilities (though if I had a personal army I'd be fine with it).

In the 1800's before the FDA you could be by shit that claims to cure everything but had arsenic in it. It was legal.

Are you claiming that shit didn't happen, because it did.

If your drug doesn't work and is full of arsenic, the market for it will evaporate. Try selling semen flavored pudding, let me know how it works out.