ITT: Your favourite Gods and Deities

ITT: Your favourite Gods and Deities

Other urls found in this thread:

principiadiscordia.com/downloads/Principia Discordia.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Artemis because this is my fetish.

Valisystem is real

That Poseidon statue is more likely Zeus. In the national archaeological museum in Athens the little plaque says that it could be either but most likely Zeus and then 2 meters to the right is a much smaller version found in the sea (I think along with it) pretty much the same with a thunderbolt. Most professors at the University in greece say Zeus as well

Ares
God of War.

The cutest one i.e. Antinous.

The statue does look as though he's hurling a thunderbolt down to earth rather than throwing a trident so i agree that it's zeus

Are was a dick. even the Greeks hated him.

>Your favourite Gods and Deities

THE TERM "GODS" IS A MISNOMER; THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD.

MY FAVOURITE DEITIES ARE SATURN, MINERVA, AND MARS, IN ALL THEIR MYTHOLOGICAL ITERATIONS.

>got rekt by Athena
>got rekt by Heracles
>got rekt by Diomedes
>got rekt by Hephaestus

>le screaming tripfag, ruiner of threads.

Was Hephaestus a NEET?

He was employed as hell. You can be a neckbeard loser without being NEET

>Then the bard struck the chords that began his sweet song, and told of the love of Ares and Aphrodite of the lovely crown, how they lay together in secret in Hephaestus’ house, and how Ares gave her a host of gifts while dishonouring the Lord Hephaestus’ bed.
>When Hephaestus had heard the sour tale, he went to his smithy his heart set on evil, and set up his huge anvil on its block, and forged a net of chains, firm and unbreakable.
>When he had spread his net over the bed, he pretended to leave for Lemnos, that well-ordered citadel, dearest of all the islands, to his eyes.
>When Ares entered and took Aphrodite's hand and spoke to her: ‘Sweetheart, come, let us to bed, and take delight in mutual love. Hephaestus has left, for Lemnos no doubt, to visit the barbarously spoken Sintians.’
>Then clever Hephaestus’ cunning net fell all around them, and they were unable to move or raise themselves. They soon realised there was no escape.
>He [Hephaestus] came home, troubled in mind, and as he stood in the gateway a terrible anger seized him. And he cried out fiercely to all the gods:
>‘Father Zeus, and all you other blessed and immortal gods, come, see something laughable, and intolerable, how Aphrodite, daughter of Zeus, scorning me for my lameness, makes love with hateful Ares because he is straight-limbed and handsome while I was born crooked. My parents alone are to blame for that: I wish they had never made me! Look how these two usurp my bed and sleep together, while I am filled with pain to see it. Yet they won’t want to lie like this much longer, I think: no, not for an instant, however much they are in love. They’ll soon lose their urge for bed, the net and its links will hold them instead till her father repays me all the gifts I gave him while wooing this shameless hussy, a beautiful daughter indeed but faithless.’

He enjoys and revels in the fact that he could get wrecked, if he couldn't get wrecked what would be the point in fighting in the first place

Athena was the angry faggot of olympus

Priapus.

>and he cried from his aching lungs I SHALL NOT BE KEKED

Me

inb4 vikinboos and their pagan shit.

Norse mythology is actually super cool if you look past WE WUZ VIKINGS shit
Not only did they believe that the gods could die and that some already had, they took it further and said they were all gonna die.

Jesus.

Anything else means you will burn in hell, pagans.

>Dionysos
Went from a wild rural god of drinking to an austere cosmic savior figure that would serve as the template for Greek savior gods, culminating in JC

>Persephone
Queen of the Underworld, her name was considered so sacred that it was never spoken, to the extent that all we have of it as euphemisms like "kore" (the maiden) and "persephone" (the keeper of the garden).

>Ogmios
Celtic god of eloquence, depicted with silver chains connecting his tongue to the ears of his listeners.

>Empedocles
Magicians, mathematician, early pioneer of atomic theory, proved his divinity by leaping into an active volcano. Can't get more metal that that.

>THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD.
Prove it.

>mfw statues were the old form of mirin gains

no homo

Athena

best god
best girl

Fun fact : That myth marks a conjection of all the planets, with Mars and Venus in the middle.

We know from that what year the Dorian invasions happened.

Aphrodite cuz she's a bad bitch. Hephaestus cuz he cares about his niggas.

If you don't think Dionysus, the god of wine, festivities and (!) drunken rape (!) was the greatest of all the greek pantheon, then you're a confirmed fag.

Athena is pretty baller as well. Easily better than Ares, no questions asked.

Me? Oh, I'm more of a Priapus kinda guy.

LIGHT IS NOT PROVEN, BUT PERCEIVED; ONE CANNOT "PROVE" LIGHT TO A BLIND INDIVIDUAL.

you you've got some baller taste, friend

I think the far-worker is a little underappreciated. He never really carried on into the later hellenistic period with the weird savior religions.

Does Apep even count?

YHWH, the One True God.

YHWH IS A DJINNI/DEMON, NOT GOD.

God you are boring

Funny enough you too are blind, Gnostic heretic.

Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
Acts 17:31
Do you scoff at these words?

Hail Eris, All Hail Discordia.

principiadiscordia.com/downloads/Principia Discordia.pdf

"Do not reject these teachings as false because I am crazy. The reason that I am crazy is because they are true."

edgy

>Went from a wild rural god of drinking to an austere cosmic savior figure that would serve as the template for Greek savior gods, culminating in JC
euphoric

Lord KEK, source of all memes, master of the dark before the dawn, bringer of magic and dubs.

Note that the certainty of Ragnarok is hotly contested and could very well be a Christian introduction(at least the way we understand it). I tend to think of Ragnarok as something extremely distant and far like the heat death of the universe.

Note that an offering or invocation is not worship like the christcucks think

>nordic pantheon (thor in pparticular)
>KEK
>cu culain
>superman
>I AM THE BEAST WORSHIP
>ziggy stardust
AWWWW SHIT I'M FEELING IT

Ixtlilton is the black face in the obsidian mirror. His ink is the health and a writer his home.

We wuz

YOU ARE IGNORANT; YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHO YHWH, GOD, ARE; THAT QUOTATION REFERS TO GOD, NOT TO YHWH.

>"... WHO YHWH, [OR] GOD, ARE..."

The Word, who arose from the dead, came in the flesh.

YOUR REPLY IS A NONSEQUITEUR.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
John 1:14

Also, he looks like a Transformer in the thumbnail. 10/10 would sacrifice my Oxen to.

AND?

>was made flesh
B-but i thought the material was evil?

Brahman.

gonna need more details

APPARENTLY, YOU ARE INCAPABLE OF BEING NECESSARILY COHERENT TO HAVE A DIALOGUE; REPLYING WITH NONSEQUITEURS MAKES YOU SEEM IDIOTIC.

I in general like underworld as well as trickster deities. Especially the latter.

Coyote from the Native Americans. Anansi the spider. The Monkey King. Prometeus. Etc.

As for underworld: the wolf Fenrir and Sobek + Seth.

I also like Artemis because of the Spartan theology that surrounds it.

Odin as like a wandering old dude is such a comfy image.

Prometheus is also another cool figure.

Father, Son and Spirit

>Out of the surface of Durga's forehead, fierce with frown, issued suddenly Kali of terrible countenance, armed with a sword and noose. Bearing the strange khatvanga, decorated with a garland of skulls, clad in a tiger's skin, very appalling owing to her emaciated flesh, with gaping mouth, fearful with her tongue lolling out, having deep reddish eyes, filling the regions of the sky with her roars, falling upon impetuously and slaughtering the great asuras in that army, she devoured those hordes of the foes of the devas.

Anyone who doesn't feel drawn to this is dead iside.

Guess

What I really like about what are commonly called "pagan cultures", is that the gods were often mutually understood to be local. So your neighborhood's gods, even if not your own, can and do come "visit". IIRC some Greek myths explicitly acknowledge Egyptian deities.

If you like tricksters you should check out huehuecoyotl and tezcatlipoca.

Týr/Tiwaz

Prometheus

Shiva/Shakti

Not a god, but Metatron.

Too bad Mexicans stopped worshiping them.

I'm trying to make a art of Mitecahuatl the godess of the original Dia de Los Muertos

Yep I heard that Greeks and Romans just assumed other Gods to be their own or indeed added them.

And in the book 1491 or 1493 and a book on the Aboriginals (the greatest estate on earth) the indigenious people complained that when they told their stories to the Christians and the Christians their stories to them, how the Christians would insist that only their stories were true. If I remember correctly (possibly not) either the Aboriginals or Indians, maybe both, just wanted to share the stories and believed both to be true.

It actually made me kek because how autistic that must have been having Christians tell you that.
Will do. I read the book "Trickster make this world", which was a bit of a hit and miss, but no mention of any Aztec deities.

I read a book on Aztec philosophy it was interesting.

Mfw no Boreas god of winter. Comfy deity op

Eris, goddess of sick bantz

sry m8 but apollo was a downright cunt

Buddha.

Like an embassy consisting of "That Guy".

Patron deity of Veeky Forums

My nigga

That's also the reason the Romans had such a hard time with the Christians and Jews. Religion was a part of the social order for them, and the Abrahamic rejection of any/all Gods other than YHWH/Christ just didn't make sense to them.

Hell, Trajan tells Pliny the best way to find out if someone is Christian is to see if they will pray to the State gods.

>and the Abrahamic rejection of any/all Gods other than YHWH/Christ just didn't make sense to them.
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense to me too. But hey it worked.
Were the Abrahamic religions the only who did this?

How was the spread of Buddhism?

Zoroastrianism in general is one of my interests

Christianity grew for three major reasons-
1) Its community leaders did a lot for the poor and treated people equally
2) Despite the rumors of "cannibalism" and "incest," most people saw its followers were very moral and good people
3) It gives a pretty detailed description of the afterlife it promises you, and it is an afterlife that is open and available to everyone.

You have to remember that at least half of the Old Testament is "our God is better than your gods." Especially Exodus and Samuel.

While Christianity denied other Gods, that doesn't Christian Theology doesn't pick up a lot from other religions. And the holidays thing was just the Romans trying to keep public holidays in order after the conversion.

Buddhism, as I understand it, spread a lot like Christianity in terms of small communities adopting it. And then you had Ashoka renounce violence after his wars and encourage its growth while he was King.

>1) Its community leaders did a lot for the poor and treated people equally
They did a hell of a lot more for them than the pagans ever did, who were content rounding them up in chains and shipping them off to die in profit wars when they weren't imposing crushing taxes on them.
>2) Despite the rumors of "cannibalism" and "incest," most people saw its followers were very moral and good people
That was imperial propaganda. Emperors often needed a scapegoat for the massive array of problems they faced and Christians made a convenient one
>3) It gives a pretty detailed description of the afterlife it promises you, and it is an afterlife that is open and available to everyone.
Religions had been doing that since the Old Kingdom of Egypt. What Christians did differently was promise true equality under God, a new conception of human ethics based around the golden rule. This was a radical departure from previous pagan narratives which stated that if you were wealthy and successful it was because the gods favored you and if you were poor and desperate it was because you weren't faithful enough. A Christian saint is someone who serves their fellow men, where the heroes of pagan legend were ones who murdered them efficiently.

>Buddhism, as I understand it, spread a lot like Christianity in terms of small communities adopting it.
Interestingly enough, all the major world religions emerged around roughly the same time period in each of the major civilizations of Eurasia, and they all were a variation of the same theme: humans have to cooperate and get along with each other in order to make larger and more complex societies possible

>Interestingly enough, all the major world religions emerged around roughly the same time period in each of the major civilizations of Eurasia
i'm assuming you're treating all Abrahamic religions as one entity for the sake of this argument, so which time period are you referring to?

>Gnostic literally BTFO

>so which time period are you referring to?
The aftermath of the Bronze age era dynasties through the mid iron age.

Buddhism (483 BCE) Confucianism (479 BCE) Taoism (specific date unclear but around the same time) Zoroastrianism (ancient origins but emerges in the historical records around the mid 5th century BCE) Christianity (33 CE) and Islam (early 6th century CE) are all religions with profoundly different ethical traditions than the primitive polytheistic traditions that they emerged from. A few faiths, such as Judaism, Hinduism, and Shintoism are outliers who preserved and adapted their ancient traditions to the new reality, while all who refused to adapt perished.

I keep a statuette like this on my shelf

it inspire's me to push my limits

What's with Hindus and these crazy women gods.

>What's with Hindus and these crazy women gods.
Pure misogyny.

Can someone recommend me a book about Aztec gods?

Ek Chuah, once the War Chief, once the North, once the Black, once the Star, once the Guide, once the Scorpion's spear, once the Underworld's reach, once the Fertility trail, once the Return, once the Trader of traits, once the Traveler carrying the souls of the fallen.

>Burning_Man_aftermath800BC.jpg

>no cute and cuddly elephant friend to speak to.

>crazy goddesses.
they are all aspects of 1 goddess, shakti.
Also the primal force of the universe.

You have durga which is pretty much athena. Parvati who is a nice maternal goddess.

Then you have kali who is doomgal.

>bhairavi devi
my patron deity desu

hera and athena

DAILY REMINDER HERA WAS CONSIDERED THE MOST BEAUTIFUL OF ALL, APHRODITE WAS MORE "SENSUAL" AKA SLUTY

>HERA
If that was true then why did Zeus cheat on her on the daily?

cos he was a stud, if i were king of the gods id fuck everyone i could as well.

I also like Minerva and the Demiurge.
I mostly view divinity as something feminine.