/cath/ General

Talk Catholic feels, Catholic ideologies, Catholic practices, etc.

>tfw His Eminence Timothy Michael Cardinal Dolan, Archbishop of New York is saying mass at your small hometown church tomorrow

Other urls found in this thread:

nypost.com/2016/04/22/pope-francis-reneges-on-offer-to-take-in-christian-refugees/
catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/05/17/pope-francis-hails-election-of-sadiq-khan-as-mayor-of-london/
youtube.com/watch?v=sDQQ0U8FHAE
thecatholicthing.org/2016/01/28/you-dont-have-to-like-a-pope/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a Jesuit, a Franciscan and a Dominican walk into a bar

I guess I should've made this thread while the Irish, Italians, Poles and Iberians were awake.

>tfw diddled a kiddy
feels good

>one pope had orgies in the vatican
>another pope is literally named 'Warrior Pope' because he led troops in to battle despite being, you know, the pope
>one cardinal genocided La Rochelle
>numerous bishops were known for being pimps and/or involved in secular governance
>you're not allowed to speak about any of this because the RCC is infallible
>now don't forget to go to mass on [insert arbitrarily created, completely unBiblical holiday] or you'll go to hell!

Wouldn't make a difference, since only cholos follow Catholism thanks to Pope Francis "Viva la Raza" Ferdinando with his hip latin-spicy modern multicultural ideas.
I used to repsect you guys when you would actually have a fire inside burning about fighting for your Lord and Saints but now I won't even want your devşirme.

Pity bump

The fuck you talking about protestant? The Church acknowledges bad Popes and priests, we're a Hospital of Sinners.

Note despite these terrible Popes, not one ever tried to pass heresy as dogma. That's protection of the Holy Spirit if I ever saw it.

>openly marxist
>openly pro gay
>openly pro open borders
What respectful person would call himself a Catholic i this day and age?

Lying is a sin my heretical friend.

>you can do anything you want and nobody can say shit unless you do this one thing, but if you do do that one thing people will be able to declare you invalid and get rid of you
>nobody with the political savy to get into the position did that one thing
Yeah, real miracle you have on your hands. Almost as impressive as the bread with the red mould on it.

>In 2014, addressing a question raised on the family, he argued that church doctrine can change over time, and "doesn't depend on the spirit of time but can develop over time." "Saying that the doctrine will never change is a restrictive view of things," Marx later clarified at a Vatican press conference. "The core of the Catholic Church remains the Gospel, but have we discovered everything? This is what I doubt."[12]

>We have to respect the decisions of people. We have to respect also, as I said in the first synod on the family — some were shocked, but I think it’s normal — you cannot say that a relationship between a man and a man, and they are faithful, [that] that is nothing, that has no worth,

>He said it was up to the state “to make regulations for homosexuals so they have equal rights or nearly equal . . . but marriage is another point,” adding that the state “has to regulate these partnerships and to bring them into a just position, and we as church cannot be against it

>The history of homosexuals in our societies is very bad because we’ve done a lot to marginalize [them],” he said, adding that as a Church and as a society “we’ve also to say ‘sorry, sorry.’

> Bergoglio
> La Raza
He´s no less italian than most of the previous popes

>In April 2012, the election of a young gay man who was living in a registered same-sex partnership to a pastoral council in Vienna was vetoed by the parish priest. After meeting with the couple, Schönborn reinstated him. He later advised in a homily that priests must apply a pastoral approach that is "neither rigorist nor lax" in counselling Catholics who "don't live according to [God's] master plan".[38]

>Schönborn is a member of the Elijah Interfaith Institute Board of World Religious Leaders.[31]

>Elijah Interfaith Institute is a nonprofit, international, interfaith organization which was founded by Rabbi Alon Goshen-Gottstein in 1997.

>A Christian brother and sister from Syria felt blessed to have been among the dozen refugees selected to start a new life in Italy — but now say their savior, Pope Francis, abandoned them on a Greek island, according to a report.

>Their dreams were shattered when they were informed the following day that they would not be traveling to Rome. Instead, three Muslim families were taken.
nypost.com/2016/04/22/pope-francis-reneges-on-offer-to-take-in-christian-refugees/

>Pope Francis has hailed the election of London’s first Muslim mayor in a wide-ranging interview with a French newspaper.

>"When I hear talk of the Christian roots of Europe, I sometimes dread the tone, which can seem triumphalist or even vengeful. It then takes on colonialist overtones," Pope Francis said.
catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/05/17/pope-francis-hails-election-of-sadiq-khan-as-mayor-of-london/

How do you do fellow catholics? Dont mind the white skin or anything that seems strange I am a fellow catholic too

>thread is now about bashing catholics
Come on now guys, let him have his little circlejerk and prayer study about when it actually ment something to be a Catholic, cause the Pope certainly wont let him have it.

Board /osman/ is all about respecting the beliefs of others and their historical heirtage, even if they are balkan.

>german bishops

Opinion disregarded

Thomas Aquinas: whosoever worships at the tomb of Mohammed should be killed.
"Saint" John Paul Second: *kisses the Koran*.
???

>Thomas Aquinas: whosoever worships at the tomb of Mohammed should be killed.

Gonna need a source

But yeah St. John Paul II shouldn't have kissed it.

I have written a reading list for Christian use. Do you find it useful, /christian/?

>GENERAL

The Bible (Ignatius Study Bible Recommended)
The catechism of your denomination

>accepted English versions of Bible
NABRE
Douay Rheims
RSV

>THEOLOGY

>novice

Introduction to Christianity by Joseph Ratzinger
Scholastic Metaphysics by Edward Feser
The Last Superstition by Edward Feser
The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
Mere Christianity
CATHOLICISM by Robert Barron
The Orthodox Way by Kallistos Ware
Outlines of Moral Theology by Francis J. Connell

>intermediate

God: His Existence and His Nature by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange
Natural Theology by Bernard Boedder
The Spirit of Medieval Philosophy by Etienne Gilson
Against Heresies
City of God
Christianity for Modern Pagans

>advanced

Apologia Pro Vita Sua
Summa Contra Gentiles
Summa Theologiae
On the Incarnation
The Didache

>SPIRITUAL LIFE

>novice

The Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales
Story of a Soul by St. Therese
The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton

>intermediate

The Interior Castle
Spiritual Exercises by St. Ignatius
Dialogues by St. Catherine of Sienna
True Devotion to Mary
True Devotion to the Holy Spirit

>advanced

The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross
The Desert Fathers
The Philokalia
The Ladder of Divine Ascent
New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis

PART 1/2

>HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL

Little Flowers of St. Francis of Assisi
Rome Sweet Home
The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day
After Virtue
Christendom I: Founding of Christendom
Theology and Social Theory by John Millbank
Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy by Bernard Williams

>FICTION

Don Quixote
The Divine Comedy
Paradise Lost
Silence by Shusaku Endo
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Faust
Les Miserables
The Canterbury Tales
The Man Who Was Thursday
The Brothers Karamazov
A Man for All Seasons
The Pillars of the Eartht
The Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia

>/christian/

Whoops. /cath/ rather.
Taking all criticisms and suggestions though.

>The Canterbury Tales
Is that really appropriate for /cath/ considering the portrayals?

I see no reason to see it as portrayal of the church itself or it's priests or monks innately but representative of those who corrupt it or appealing to common worries of corruption at the time.

Fuck you all.

Just because you're Catholic doesn't necessarily mean you have to agree with the Pope.

The portrayals were historically accurate. He's not criticizing the Catholic faith, just corrupt clerics and friars. There is also at one good one in there if I recall correctly. But I wouldn't really call it 'Catholic literature' anymore than I'd call Shakespeare Catholic or Anglican literature just because he has religion and priests in his work.

Not anymore, anyway But after the full consolidation of the Pope's power in the late Middle Ages, up until about the 1800's, agreeing with the Pope was a matter of course.

Why do Catholics hate him?

>openly pro gay
That's not close to true

>>openly pro open borders
What do you think 'Catholic' means?

>I guess I should've made this thread while the Irish, Italians, Poles and Iberians were awake.
Reporting in.

Forgod bic :DDDDD

>working during Mass hours tomorrow
Ahh shite

Are all the best saints Irish?

>tfw Latin American
>ftw we stole catholicism from Europeans
What are you gonna do now?

We can share pham

I have to know, for my own peace of mind: Do Catholics hold to the same set of beliefs as the Orthodox concerning Hypostatic Union and how it impacted the birth of Our Savior?

>saints are without sins

Is it true that the Catholic church founded and promoted Islam to kill non-Catholic Christians and Jews in the Middle East? Thanks.

yes but Barack Obama, a Protestant, founded ISIS

>Turn me over, I'm done on this side!

Is he the most badass saint?

Jesuit orders some fruity drink, Dominican orders a beer, Franciscan orders a beer for someone who forgot their wallet.

Bartholomew's more badass

What does the Church say on why Catholics apparently don't need to follow all the laws of the OT? I feel like I remember reading something in Acts that mentioned this, but I don't really remember.

Hell I could be completely wrong on this assumption and just talking out my ass.

The short and sweet of it is that all of the laws can be divided into 3 very rough categories. There are laws for the kingdom, laws for the temple, and the's laws for all time and places. It's not true to say that Christians don't follow all of the laws of the old testament because we do still follow the 10 commandments for examples since those were clearly meant for all time and places. It wouldn't make much sense to follow the laws given of the kingdom or the temple since the kingdom and temple no longer exist.

Here's a video that explains this better than I could.

youtube.com/watch?v=sDQQ0U8FHAE

Yes
F
Veeky Forums as fuck

Catholic art has so much more dynamism than orthodox art

Joan of Arc is the most badass saint

>Honour, glory, and riches shall be the reward of your pains; but above all, do not fail to rid the country of those scoundrels [Anabaptists and others] , who stir up the peoples to revolt against us. Such monsters should be exterminated, as I have exterminated Michael Servetus the Spaniard. (emphasis mine)* -Based John Calvin

Hereticbois can't compete

let nuns say mass desu

no

lmfao

The church doesn't have the authority to change what Jesus established.

c'mon
I'm not talking about holding high positions in the church
and I'm not talking about acting as confessors or anything

no

Romanism is heresy
Repent and believe the gospel

You think one bad pope is gonna set all catholics out of our way? We had bad popes before and we do by no means need to like him.

So by your logic; if you were a bus driver for ages, all your life. And then this one dude that is the bigger and better bus driver drives over a kid. It's your fault, and he is the single embodiment of bus drivers? No. Catholics do by no means HAVE to like the pope. Alot don't.

Don't you see the Pope as the successor to Jesus?

>Stole a universal bloody religion
>ok

No, the successor of St Peter. But just because he is the successor of St Peter and the Vicar of Christ does NOT magically turn him into St Peter or Christ for that matter.

thecatholicthing.org/2016/01/28/you-dont-have-to-like-a-pope/

We had bad popes before.

Don't Catholics think Peter was the successor of Jesus?

"The Roman Catholic Church considers him to be the first pope, ordained by Jesus in the "Rock of My Church" dialogue in Matthew 16:18" is all I can give you on it.

>tfw let calcuttan lepers die in their own feces
>tfw canonized because of western guilt
Feels good, man.

And gays should apologize to Bill Donohue. Therefore, the church should apologize to Bill Donohue.

Don't they see the Pope as the only man the Spirit of Truth can infallibly speak through?

>calcuttan lepers die in their own feces

The fuck?