Will putting 93 octane in an engine designed for regular 87 octane gas make any noticable difference in performance?

Will putting 93 octane in an engine designed for regular 87 octane gas make any noticable difference in performance?

Other urls found in this thread:

kbb.com/car-advice/articles/premium-gas-when-and-why/
youtube.com/watch?v=cfhTTuxF6Mk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FJ_Cruiser#Powertrain
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

use whatever the engineers told you to put in your manual

Not without a tune to take advantage of it.
On an NA engine you most likely won't even see a performance increase with a new tune, just slightly lower fuel consumption because it can run leaner.

increased weight reduction via lighter wallet

No.
You can advance the ignition and get a bit more performance when you map for higher octane fuels.

Pretty sure if the car has been chugging along for a long while 93 can give the engine a bit of a clean out with some high revs, carbon build up and shit.
This is mom science though, someone else can verify or disprove me.

Ive also heard this

>93 octane
>87 octane
No this is not a manual. Petrol prices in the EU are higher but you will not find any water diluted shit petrol. The cheapest is "Euro 95". This is Americrap

>he doesn't know Euro 95 is equal to 91 octane in the US

95 octane EU is the same as 91 octane US I think. There different rating systems. The gas isn't any different

No.
Octane is not a measurement of energy and does not denote calorific value.

>People here STILL don't know RON and AKI are different

>people are still this stupid
STOP

It can result in higher HP output if the vehicle is designed to use it.

I have a 2011 engine, and they tuned them to run on everything from 87 to 93. If you run 87 you get lower HP than the factory figures, but if you run 91-93 you're putting out the full 260HP.

The engines were originally designed to run on premium though, so they really just de-tuned them to run on regular if needed. I've never run premium in mine, it's too expensive and the vehicle already puts out more power than the factory nips suggest. I think they lied to squeeze it in with some backdoor import loophole.

There are additives you can buy that do a better job than just running premium. Some people will buy a tank of premium and tell themselves they're "spoiling" their car but yeah that's probably mom logic.

- Higher-octane fuel requires more energy to burn, but releases more energy.

- Running higher-octane fuel in a car tuned for regular will technically lose a small amount of power because it can't burn the premium as effectively as the regular it was designed for.

No

Are you retarded?

No, I got an A- in "organic chemistry for mechanical engineers" and have tuned a car on my own.

Octane is literally "resistance to knock" and higher-octane gas is harder to burn. Remember, the engine is powered by burning - not technically exploding - the gasoline and the way it burns is important.

wrong
no
wrong

The caloric value of the fuel doesn't change with the octane rating. It's the same between all grades of gasoline. Usually, so are the detergents the EPA mandates in the mix.

The octane rating is the resistance of the fuel to autoignition (knocking, igniting before the spark plug fires). It's supposed to be hard to ignite, that's why we atomize the fuel then hit it with a 20+kv spark. Nothing in an ignition system is modified for different octane ratings other than the timing curve.

>Will putting 93 octane in an engine designed for regular 87 octane gas make any noticable difference in performance?
Nope
>Not without a tune to take advantage of it.
You're not going to be able to make noticeable gains with higher octane by changing the ignition timing/fuel map on a modern car without running the engine into the ground, so no correct
Complete nonsense
Your engine is 10:1 compression, will not make any more power on higher octanes, and is DEFINITELY not some secret engine the Japanese secretly snuck in, great wishful thinking though

It's quite amazing how many self proclaimed "car guys" think that a higher octane fuel in any way is "cleaner," "smoother," or makes more power on it's own.

Some actual sources
kbb.com/car-advice/articles/premium-gas-when-and-why/
youtube.com/watch?v=cfhTTuxF6Mk

Use what your manual tells you, use the money from "occasional premium fillups" on doing more important and effective car maintenance.

No!

Depends on the car. Mine says it gets better performance with 93 octane, but you can use 87 just fine.

Interesting, so it merely allows you to run higher compression / advanced timing and that in itself gives you more power. I guess I was making assumptions on where the increased power came from. Thanks.

>water diluted shit petrol
I aint exaktaly one um dem der NASAW rokit ship syntests but im preddy durn shur dat ms dayze from the thurd grade tawt us dat oil n wotur downt miks

it will make your engine hotter and fuck up your sparkplugs.

93 burns hotter than 87

t. Retard

Is it summer already?

[citation needed], this sounds like bullshit, it only affects the compression at which it burns, not the temperature

It would seem both of you dumbfucks are wrong, actually.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FJ_Cruiser#Powertrain

>The FJ Cruiser uses the 4.0-liter 1GR-FE DOHC V6. For the 2007 to 2009 model years, the engine came with single variable valve timing (VVT-i) which produces 239 hp (178 kW) at 5200 rpm, and 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) of torque at 3,700 rpm on 91 octane fuel.[26][27][28][29] For the 2010 model year, the FJ Cruiser's engine gained Dual VVT-i technology which adjusts timing on both intake and exhaust camshafts resulting in 259 hp (193 kW) at 5600 rpm, and 270 lb·ft (370 N·m) on 91 octane, in addition to slightly improved fuel economy on 91 octane fuel.[26][30] For model year 2011, these figures rose to 260 hp (194 kW) at 5600 rpm, and 271 lb·ft (367 N·m).[31] The 2011 onwards engine meets stringent LEV II/Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions certification[32] Both versions of the 1GR-FE engine run normally on 87 octane fuel[26] though they produce less power thus Toyota recommends premium fuel for demanding situations such as towing, off-roading, and driving at high elevation.

The engine runs most efficiently on higher octane fuel, but the Dual-VVTi retards valve-timing to compensate if you run 87. As a result of this, it produces less HP and slightly less torque.

Honestly heartbreaker you're so full of shit sometimes, I wish a group of horny Toyota engineers would gang rape you.

fef

>Your engine is 10:1 compression, will not make any more power on higher octanes

But....you're wrong.

91-93 gives a more complete detonation, meaning more power is produced from every charge of fuel and air. Thus, horsepower and torque figures would be higher.

Keep in mind, this is only if your engine was DESIGNED to run on premium, which no one here is debating. But you're trying to argue that there's no functional difference between the regular and hi-grade, and you need to know that there is. Compression ratios are only a single factor in the equation.

tripfag BTFO

>Your engine is 10:1 compression, will not make any more power on higher octanes

It will make less on lower octane, you fucking dingus. Therefore, it will make more on higher octane. Higher comp ratio typically means higher octane rating is needed to prevent knock. Using lesser grade fuel will cause incomplete combustion, resulting in less power.

What part of this do you NOT understand?