Gap year

Senior in high school currently contemplating taking a gap year. Can someone tell me about the advantages/disadvantages of taking one and whether it'd be in my interest to take one?

I have decent grades (3.5 GPA) from a strong private high school with good college connections. I'm looking to double major in math/Econ since math is my strongest stem skill and I've always liked Econ.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HLJIpBexKhQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't do it. Your brain is plastic, taking a year off will make it that much harder.

Highly recommend Econ/math major. Econ here, wish I did more maths.

Is a gap year one year off? Why would you do this if you already know what to study?

I made this decision, trust me, don't do it.

Go straight to college.

Gap years are only good if you don't meet your graduation requirements, or you honestly don't have any idea what you want to do with your life in college at all.

If you know you want to go into Econ/Math, then go into Econ/Math.

You can take less of a courseload if you want in college, 3 instead of 5, or w/e.

Anyways,

>DO NOT DO A GAP YEAR.

I did one gap year... now I'm on my "THIRD" gap year.

Just don't do it.

In the same position, JUST now am I finding my direction again. I should've just gone to school with my friends

Take a gap year then start taking business classes at community college.

Don't go to college, you'll start life off 50k+ in debt. Going to college is one of the dumbest things you can do if you want to be rich. Colleges do not educate you anymore. Gone are the days where going to college meant you can make a decent living. So many people are going to college now that the job market is too competitive. Even people with stem degrees are having a hard time getting a job now. Unless you get your masters you'll be working a trade in a matter of years after graduating.

I took two years off and then did two semesters at community college taking business classes.

What you should do is take some business classes at a community college, (you can go for free in most places around the US) and work full time. I recommend delivering pizzas full time in a nice area because you can easily make 600-700 a week in tips. Save as much money as you possibly can. After you finish taking business classes at community use that money to invest in your own business.

A good way to start is with what I like to call a "starter" business. I started my first business for $5000. I built a website myself, designed my logos myself and all the advertisements myself. Work on your Photoshop skills. Also, get a nice dedicated camera, the Sony A6000 with the kit lens is an amazing value for the performance it gives(real cameras will always take better pictures than your phone, I don't care what Apple tells you).

My first business I ordered stuff from Alibaba and had it branded with my logo, I sold survivalist stuff because it's stupid cheap. I then marketed the shit out of to create a brand image and loyality(advertising works, especially if you have marketing skills). I now contract with a warehouse that handles shipping for me. Aside from ordering stuff from China and making advertisements, it's 95% passive income.

I'm now one my 4th business, planning a 5th

Yep, I wish I had, it sucks, they have like 1-2 years left before they graduate university.

The only benefit those who took 1 gap year may have is they're more mature and won't fuck around in university because they'll realize how important university is to life

CONT.

While you're working you need to start thinking of products you can sell. You don't need to find an amazing business idea, you need to find an item that people are buying and get in the market. I recommend starting with a market you're familiar with. I was really into backpacking and hunting so that's where I started. Try staying away from seasonal items with your first business, I made that mistake. People usually hunt and backpack in the south year-round so it wasn't a total loss. I also still delivered pizzas full time while running my first business. I could ship out yesterdays orders out in the morning before I'd leave for work at noon.

You can sell fucking anything, but it has to do with brand building and advertising more than the products you're selling. Although I do recommend selling high quality products because it helps with brand building. I now advertise almost exclusively on google and facebook, it's stupid cheap. I get make about $2000 for every $50 I spend in advertising. They know how to direct your ads with pin point accuracy. You want to sell knifes? They will only show your advertisements to people who are in the market for knives.

To counteract what some are saying. There's some reasons why you may want to wait:

- You want to save money
- You want to improve your grades
- You don't feel mature enough for university yet
- Your parents will pay for you to travel/suck dick/fuck women/etc.

Other than that, it's pretty silly. Like others have said, your mind does forget how to work as hard as it did in HS, so if you're not a natural hard worker, or you don't naturally want to learn about things, then you should take advantage of the fact that you're already in the 'mojo' of school.

holy fuck this ^

youtu.be/HLJIpBexKhQ

i dropped out after first semester back in october 2016, now i am memeing for a living and looking to start my own business endeavors

Don't listen to this guy. Unless your parents are loaded and it is entirely paid for there is literally no reason to go to university. Unless you are in the top 1% of your class university will hardly do anything for your job prospects.

Make as much money as you can and then invest it in a business. I was originally planning to go to school for computer science but now I'm making 3 times what I would in that field. On top of that I only work about 15-20 hours a week. most of what I do is look for new products and order stuff from Mexico and China. I can also do all of my work from my laptop so I essentially travel all the time and work. Currently I'm in Pittsburgh looking at buying a robotics startup. Next week I'm going to Playa del Carmen, Mexico to meet with executives that own a factory I order products from.

I'm a community college drop out.

Look, if you are interested in learn there are TONS of amazing resources online to learn from. I also recommend reading a book a week. After awhile you learn to read quickly enough that you can read a ~200 page book in under 2 hours.

There's literally no reason to take a gap year unless you are going to be in some kind of structured year-long internship or volunteer program.

Don't do it to work some mcjob or fuck around. And you probably won't be successful at starting your own business, which you'll probably have to abandon once you get to college anyways.

Plus when you are sitting around at home or wherever and see all your friends partying and making new friends at college, you will feel left out.

In 99% of all cases I would advise going straight to college after high school. If you want to take a gap year in order to take a "break" from school, then you aren't cut out for college anyways.

There is no reason to take a break year. You just run the risk of being a fuck up

Someone got shit grades in highschool

If you get debt by going to college in 2017, you're a fucking moron who didn't apply to enough scholarships or went to a meme out of state school

If he was going to be a fuck up he'd be a fuck up whether or not he took a gap year.

>And you probably won't be successful at starting your own business, which you'll probably have to abandon once you get to college anyways.
Starting a successful business is easy, you just have to work your ass off. I paid my dues in my twenties when I was working 80-90 hour weeks

I'm not going to claim to be a straight A student, but I by no means got shit grades in highschool.

>I recommend delivering pizzas full time in a nice area because you can easily make 600-700 a week in tips.

Nigger you can pull in $600+ in tips on a weekend shift at Applebees. Get tipped jobs working near liberal colleges. They compete to see how much of their money they can give away.

Gap year right out of highschool is a surefire way to fail in life

Go to a community college or safety school for a year or two if you're such a clueless plastic bag drifting through the wind
Halfway through you're degree ask yourself if this is really what you want to do, look at you're peers around you, see what the fruits of their decisions are yielding
If you need a gap year, do it in the middle of college (either a quick 1 semester break where you are working or volunteering to get some perspective, or a quick 1 semester break to research what major you are switching to once you're break is done)

A gap year is done to help you get a new perspective on life, to take a step back and see if you really are on the right path to your dreams

That new perspective is wasted/useless if you haven't even started down a path yet

If taking a gap year after highschool was really a good option, you would know it, you wouldn't be hesitating and asking others for validation (this thread, that's all this thread is), you would already have an internship or once in a lifetime offer on your doorstep

The fact that you're unsure if it's a good idea or not is the proof that it is not, don't throw away you're life because you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, you haven't even entered the tunnel yet

Take it from a 20somethibg bachelor student who knew dozens of people who took "gap years" after highschool, all it ended up doing was make them less focused, more in debt, and makes you the oldest person in your class by a consistent 3-4 years

The only person I know of who ended off better after a "gap year" was someone whose parent's business payed him to take an internship in England for a year, which is hardly the yearlong vacation that you're hoping for(especially since he signed up for college classes a year in advanced before he left anyways)

i already resigned, i am 19 working on crypto projects. moved to houston and got apt. I am glad I did not fall for the college meme

do not go to college OP

I'm a car guy and have always loved driving so a delivery job was a good fit for me. I also lived in an area with some really great roads to drive on. The place I worked had a free meal policy and we were always allowed to take home a medium pizza at the end of the night for free if we wanted.

I know servers make a good bit of money so if that's a good fit for him then I wont tell him not to. I liked making deliveries because it made the day go by faster because I could get out of the store. If one of the annoying managers was working I was able to get away from them for awhile. It was a fun job and made working excessive hours tolerable.

If being a server appeals to him then I encourage it, he can always switch jobs if he wants.

Actually this is some really good advice. I'm against college, mostly because tuition puts people in debt before they have a chance learn the value of money.

However, if you go to community college and you feel college is a good fit for you, you can always get an associates and transfer to a university. However, you have to make deans list if you want to transfer to a university so don't fuck off. The good news is that community college is easy as hell and you have to be a really big fuck up to, well, fuck it up. I went to a really nice highschool so community college was actually easier for me than highschool was.

Sub-A's is shit tier with how easy highschool (even AP and dual credit courses) classes are.

I quite literally cannot comprehend someone making a sub-3.5 GPA in today's schools (straight A's with a few A-'s and the odd B+).

>t. Full ride to good state school from not being a mouth breathing retard

>I quite literally cannot comprehend someone making a sub-3.5 GPA in today's schools (straight A's with a few A-'s and the odd B+).

I completely agree, but I graduated in 1998 before the American education system went to shit and teachers actually cared about challenging their students. Education was more about how to find, retain and use information rather than passing standardized tests.

Actually, I do understand why people fail in schools today, the teachers don't teach people how to teach themselves.

Go to /qst/ and roleplay there.

Look, I get it, success doesn't come easy to people. Tons of people are uncertain about their future and are struggling to get ahead.

I come here so 1) I can get ideas to further my success and 2)share what I did to help other people be successful.

It's like people are surprised the business oriented people come on Veeky Forums. It's like being surprised to find ponies on /mlp/

what