What does Veeky Forums think about police motorcycles?

What does Veeky Forums think about police motorcycles?

I'm finding it hard to see the point when they're as big as cars.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M
youtu.be/3n8KrdixvZc
youtu.be/LrJR9680v8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=FYoHWFoE9Q4
youtube.com/watch?v=9N1iw5Vdim8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

milage, easier to hide from drivers, faster for less money
though in a chase they're useless because they are basically made of glass.

they haul serious ass. what else is there to consider?

Aren't police these days mostly prohibited from doing high speed chases anyway? Plus that'd only be an advantage (vs a police car/truck) if chasing a sports car or bike.

Believe it or not, they are actually more agile than sport bikes. They have an insanely raked front end which means their turn radius is much higher and steering not nearly as stiff

The big sports tourers and cruisers I see police riding would be shit / impossible for weaving through traffic (eg when it's backed up), which would seem to be the main advantage of a motorcycle for the police.

yes, many places aren't allowed to do high speed chases. however, you might still need blocking power and speed to corner someone who runs.

In most large cities, yes. I live in Dallas, and the policy here is they have to call it off if they lose sight for more than a few seconds. And that's supposedly an outdated policy compared to the rest of the States

contrary to what you seem to think, they can get through traffic very quickly
police here use them in the city for traffic shit and i usually see them out in the mountains/backroads to chase down hoons

well they are certainly wider so they are limited horizontally on certain things, but for low speed maneuvering they are superior

have you seen how well those fuckers can ride?

Much harder to shoot as suspects while driving a car (skip to 2:00):

youtu.be/3n8KrdixvZc

Holy fuck South African cops are badass

youtu.be/LrJR9680v8Q

youtube.com/watch?v=FYoHWFoE9Q4

also use em for catching dickheads on their phones in traffic

lots of PDs use SUVs so they can look down into the lap of a driver and see if they're hiding their phone use.

They ride much smaller bikes in my country.
youtube.com/watch?v=9N1iw5Vdim8

You have to in account length too though. They're typically half to 3/4's the length of your average car and can merge into spots where a car couldn't.

>they are actually more agile than sport bikes.

At low speeds yes but that true for most cruisers and tourers, at high speeds they're tanks though and will understeer in a corner.

On a motorcycle you're typically sitting above a normal car driver.

Here in Netherlandistan, police bikers are serious business. They have several bikes, FJR1300, R1200GS, F800GS and F650GS. Maybe also others.

I commute to my uni with a dorsoduro 750, a part of it is a 70 kph road. Whenever I see a police biker, they wave for me to follow them in the left lane and go 100 kph-ish. Despite the weight and size of some of their bikes, I've seen them do twisty shit that would make plenty supersport rider shit their pants. Once or twice a year, there's a possibility to go and do a few rounds around the police training track. I've seen them on R1200GS's overtaking supersports during a corner whilst taking the outside line.

Most supersport riders are all show no go, they'll only cut loose on a perfectly straight highway when they know they'll win against a Civic or some shit or when running from the cops

They have sirens it's easier for a car in traffic to pull over slightly for a big police bike than it is for a police car

They look utterly cool though.

They do!

They can get through gridlocked traffic much faster than a car could and squeeze through side streets easier.
Most police have dirt bikes too for off road searches or patrols