/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=97Qud1HxxVM
youtube.com/watch?v=8ak2EduZ-JI
blog.playism-games.com/the-fan-art-of-alicemare/
youtube.com/watch?v=bVAt5e5AY4Y
steamcommunity.com/games/94300/announcements/detail/493549917884025552
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Who said dealing with nobles was risky?

Nice.
I'm gonna go play more Rain World.
In other news, since /igg/ is still deader than the Rimworld General, I'm also now idling 50 Hours as Titan to dig up their 2 Artifacts in Realm Grinder. R27.

How small is too small to be rolling around for early game stuff?

I'm dead set on ironmanning, so I'm total party wiping a lot...

I stopped playing realm grinder mostly when they did the graphical update, and there's only been like...2? significant content updates since then.

Dragons were kind of interesting but the new shit doens't seem interesting enough for me to go up 2 Rs to 60

Uhh oops, I mean party size, if that wasn't obvious.

>decide to finish a naked shovel run
>also got credit for not buying a damn thing
>somehow also managed to speed run it
As much as I give the default mode crap for being basic, it's not bad, it's just the other two modes just have so much more going for them.

They actually went and added dragons? I stopped playing just before the graphical update, and ave no intent on returning. What do the dragons actually do?

To each their own, I suppose. And yeah. Lineages at R60, extra Research Slots at R70+.
Dragons are the equivalent of Dwarf/Drow, but for Neutral Factions. They have ridiculous grind requirements that take weeks at a time to do for max potential.

Well there's the minimum recruitment limit for the first mission. 8-9 is a good starting party, just fill it up with cheap beggars and give them each a crappy round shield. You'll loot armor off bandits. I wouldn't take the get 12 members ambition early on since it becomes a bit high on upkeep but you can push 10+ if you're in a nice cluster of cities with lotta contracts going on.

They're neutral prestige, like everyone and their mother expected.

Their gimmick is their unique spell can do 1 of 5 things, but it's supposed to combo with spell tiers (they added spell tiers, you can unlock casting multiple of the same spell at once) and let you do better shit.

It was sort of interesting but I'm not really into it anymore.

Whoops. I forgot to attach the image of my slugcat in the Leg about to embark for Underhang once more.

i need more pearls
where are the pearls

oh
i haven't found the trash yet
i went from outskirts to industrial to cathedral
it's very dark here

Can you get A (or S?) tier guns in shortcuts? I think I've got a pretty good set of guns and I don't want to re-reoll if this is the best tiers I'll get

it was a joke about steven universe
i don't even know what game you're talking about

Lol. He's making a Stephen Universe joke.
Anyway, there's 12 of them. 1 per area.

oh
i thought you needed, like, three any time you wanted to make friends with scavengers
i sure hope that dude i gave one to at the entrance to cathedral was a dude i needed to give one to, twelve is not very many

Are there `generic` pearls you can give to the scavengers without having to steal them back later, or are there strictly 12?

>Play a hunter run to just play the game normally
>0 key drops
>even MORE key doors

>OH. Pearls in general.
Yeah, there's dozens of Pearls in various places. There's only 12 unique Pearls which hold special lore that Moon can tell you about after getting some Neurons back.
You need to give her 4 Neurons for her to be able to full read some Pearls.

>he actually thinks playing more floors puts him at a disadvantage
>he doesn't go for master rounds
>he doesn't see how having a bigger pool of better guns would make spawned enemies less of a problem
>he's fucked

>>he doesn't go for master rounds
I do, and you get 1 hit of health, which is gone soon.

Not to mention that every other item in the game that gives you a heart container doesn't give you an armor as robot for some reason.

Even if you've got good guns you're still likely to get hit on you're way there, so why not just cut out the middle man.

I've gotten close too, it's just that he KEEPS SPAMMING KNIVES

okay. feel free to keep "cutting out the middle man," not like I've ever beaten this game or anything. you've clearly got this whole thing figured out. after all, that's why you posted right? to show that you've already learned enough to beat the game every time you play? or did I miss something?

Sorry mister king of the gungeon I'll remember to personally felate you next time I post about the game.

Going through the game without getting hit is possible yea but I don't really want to play an even worse version of blue baby in a game where you're even more likely to get hit. It's a shitty class and I don't really want to play as him outside of killing his past.

>Dance just out of reach of a yellow lizard for like 3 minutes
>Eventually nabs me in a shitty tunnel
>Drags me back
>Gets eaten by the giant blue death tentacle demon
>Also eats me instantly
>Tries to eat an orange passing by
>Flings it into the abyss below
>Then flails about, clinging to the platform from below
>Before flinging itself into the abyss
Alright then.

no one's telling you to go through the game without getting hit once.
you assumed that, frankly because you're a fucking idiot who doesn't know how to play.
floors are resources.
you are willingly abandoning resources.
resources are how you win, until you are ACTUALLY good enough to never get hit while using basic guns, AKA use shortcuts. And even then, shortcuts eliminate your chance at being boosted. Why the fuck are you playing the game if you don't enjoy playing it?

Quit being a faggot and try the resources available to you. Shields drop from room clears, brown chests, and master rounds alike. They still show up in shops. If you weren't SKIPPING FLOORS you'd have money for them, or for guns and passives to get you so boosted you don't need them.

>1 hit of health, which is gone soon.
toxic attitude, enjoy your lost hits. your vision becomes your reality.
there is no difference between having 1 hit and having 10 hits if you are playing properly. keep this in mind, dry your salty baby tears, and play well until you get your shields back like anyone else. You have the single best starting pistol of anyone in the game, fucking use it.

>it's a shitty class
how about you save your opinions on things until you know how to use them, friend?
everyone hates robot until they win a run with him and realize he's the most rewarding character in the game. if you wind up disagreeing with that ok cool but at least you won't be talking baseless shit anymore.

>that gif
>he KEEPS SPAMMING KNIVES
please make sure to focus the knives. I know. It hurts not to focus the dragun. But the knives are what's fucking you, not the lizard. Kill the fucking knives dude.

>toxic

>>that gif
>>he KEEPS SPAMMING KNIVES
>please make sure to focus the knives. I know. It hurts not to focus the dragun. But the knives are what's fucking you, not the lizard. Kill the fucking knives dude.
That gif was from la few days ago, and I wasn't complaining about the spamming knives part there. I'd show you the footage I was talking about (where I focus the knives and they are then immediately replaced) but I deleted it and I don't know if this is in recycyle or not.

iirc what I was trying to do in the gif was just keep one of them alive so both wouldn't spawn, and it was going good for a while

> Shields drop from room clears, brown chests, and master rounds alike. They still show up in shops. If you weren't SKIPPING FLOORS you'd have money for them, or for guns and passives to get you so boosted you don't need them.
I would if the drop system in this game wasn't mostly fucked, even without playing robot. I tried doing normal runs for a while and they were all shitty. I'd have to get something amazing like clone and junkan or something.

>how about you save your opinions on things until you know how to use them, friend?
>everyone hates robot until they win a run with him and realize he's the most rewarding character in the game.
please explain to me his upside, because outside of a better than average starter item (and a +5% damage boost from junk, which you probably shouldn't even go for most of the time) he has no upside (battery bullets are a joke, as is the bottle of water)
or do you just mean "rewarding" as in "Woohoo I beat a game with the worst character!"

also
>Why the fuck are you playing the game if you don't enjoy playing it?
i enjoy the game a fair amount, i however don't enjoy playing as robot because he makes the issues I have with the game so much worse

Found the footage

The "keep spamming knives" run I was talking about had him throwing knives, me focusing them, him throwing them again 15 seconds after I kill them, and then throwing them again immediately after I killed that pair

Man, the battle was going so fucking well until FIVE(5) friendly units including the knight all decided to go hit this footman's shield.

drop system has more nuance than you're giving it credit for. the biggest problem I see in people playing this game is not utilizing their resources to the fullest. this may not be isaac but there is still a degree of gaming the system needed.

>fully explore every single floor
>LEAVE ALL KEYS ON THE MAP UNTIL YOU REACH THE SHOP (you can stop doing this later to game the system harder but for now just make it a habit)
>search for secret rooms, at bare minimum in preferred locations like shops, floor exits, chest rooms, and dead ends
>familiarize yourself with drop tiers so you know which chests you actually value for your playstyle
>hammer into your brain that the two main chests of each floor will always be a Gun and an Item
>start abusing this and aggressively breaking any chest you can justify not caring about. this is good on every character, and only better on robot. a key you don't use on cracking open a blue gun because you found a passive from the green chest is a key you can use on the red chest next floor. plus junk.

I seriously cannot talk up robot's gun more. it's amazing. that clip is fucking enormous. appreciate how much the very act of having to reload so often hampers your DPS on other guns and start getting the beautiful one-clip screen wipes you deserve.
you also underestimate your coolant and battery bullets. More damage will always make you safer. Use your coolant throughout the first couple floors on hordes of enemies or high HP targets like Gun Nuts. The more you force yourself to use it, the more useful you'll realize it is. Just bear in mind that like ALL starting actives, it's meant to be replaced. It's not supposed to feel like an endgame killer. It's an extremely useful tool for the first couple of weak floors to ride on until you find something better.
Nothing discourages you from getting hit like a massive, obnoxious BWAAHHHH that can't be regained with hearts every time you take damage

and there we have it. Personally had to kill a sergeant and both of their knights while my side fucked around. Torhelm and Alvar aren't huge loses. Reinhold can get replaced. Gisbert hurts. Hilderich was my sergeant so now I have to find someone with high resolve to recruit and be standard bearer.

oh and every last one of you STOP THINKING CLONE AND JUNK ARE THE ONLY FUCKING GOOD ITEMS

jesus christ there are so many run-breaking items to get in this game and you people focus the rarest most ridiculous shit for no reason. you don't fucking need a clone when you save up 200 shells, get a demon door, and buy four passives, two guns, and a shot at Winchester's game.
>speaking of which it should be obvious but
>money is worth more in your pocket
>spending money cements unknown opportunity costs
>be fucking judicious about spending it so you don't hate yourself next floor

I've played the game for 65 hours dude, and while that's not ages I know all of the common knowledge.

One of my main grievances with the game is that it's a crap shot as to whether a chest is a gun or an item, and items are almost always better than guns of the same tier (and often of a better tier).
I know it's not common, but I have come across a floor with a gun in each item room chest twice.

Like I said his starting gun is pretty good, and battery bullets is less bad since I looked it up and it increases accuracy by 50%, so I guess it's around as good as military training, which to be fair is pretty good.

I hardly ever find actives, for the second part. I've gone through so many marine runs that I forgot he even has an active because I never use it (or never find another active), Pilot's is fairly decent, and convict's pretty good too.

>STOP THINKING CLONE AND JUNK ARE THE ONLY FUCKING GOOD ITEMS
I didn't say they were the only good items calm your pants I was just giving examples of very good items that would make robot less obnoxious to play.

Winchester is farely rare and demon faces are even rarer.

Junkan should not be as hard to find as he currently is. He starts as a 20% drop from junk which is actually too high to just stroll along normally and get him but if you dedicate a run to just getting 10 junk you should get him just by even getting that far without any items and most likely some mediocre guns.

Did I just step back into a den of concentrated autism?

also key doors should be much rare than they are, because I'm lucky to not get a key door on the shopkeep or something else

i thought maybe it had something to do with curse but most of the time I don't even have any curse

there's one gungeon user who's usually kind of a sperg about it but beyond that it's pretty normal

So who were these guys? Backgrounds, I mean. And who you got right now?

which one's the sperg, though

>Backgrounds, I mean
I don't remember their backgrounds really, just what they did on my team. Everyone I've got left is level 11(soft cap)
The three original brothers are still alive along with my two best linemen and the two billmen.

Another full party wipe...

Guess I'll take a break for awhile.

>buy FTL since it's on sale for $2.50 and wanted to play it for a while
>play on Easy to get used to ti
>maximum comfy
>move to Normal
>shit kicked in regularly
I feel kinda bad but I might just stay on Easy, I need the comfy more than the challenge right now

youtube.com/watch?v=97Qud1HxxVM

have any of you guys tried DEADBOLT? i've got to say, it's one of my favorite indie games. it's by the anons who made Risk of Rain and it plays kind of like a mix of Hotline Miami and Gunpoint.

you're the grim reaper and you kill the undead to collect their souls so you can send them to the afterlife. you've got a magic lighter which lets you turn into ash so you can go through pipes and ventilation shafts

it's got an amazing soundtrack and great art too

>anons
1 user.

I'll correct that. Thank you for pointing it out.

Are there places on Veeky Forums that aren't autistic?

>I have come across a floor with a gun in each item room chest twice
You'll forgive me for not believing you without proof. Not saying you're lying, just not going to accept something that flies in the face of both common knowledge and 200 hours of playtime off of hearsay.

Actives are definitely a bit rare compared to other things, but they're still relatively common as long as you're gaming your chances properly. Sure, sometimes you crack the gun chest first, but there's really a lot of keys. You should be able to eat the few times it doesn't work out. Pilot's is dope yeah, but even still is the same as the rest: useful, but nowhere near enough to be worth picking over most other active items. It's the type of shit you're trying to replace with a Relodestone.

It's the internet, I can hold shift to yell stuff for dramatic effect without my pants being rustled. It's just an extremely common sentiment around here that devalues the hundreds of win-worthy items I'm happy to get instead of the ONE clone I've gotten or the TWO junkans (not counting the guaranteed encounter). You really don't need them to win, and considering that clone's literal only use is giving you twice as many chances at getting the items you need to win, it seems a bit ironic that you place so little value on the overall loot from each floor.

Junkan's encounter rate from junk is 5% once you've unlocked him because he's an item. Finding him instead of a piece of junk is mainly just to meet him, not get him. After that it's just a happy accident if it happens again. If you want a higher chance at finding him, focus blue chests. Hell, even bosses can drop him. 5% is 1 out of 20. Even if you get 10 junk in a run that's still enough of a statistical improbability to never bank on it, and that's the intended design.

I see Winchester a lot desu but I meant the one that's always past the demon face. Idk if your funds affect spawn but I've ONLY found faces when I was rich or getting there.

>Hush for the first time
someone (possibly multiple someones) looked at this and thought 'yes this is an enjoyable gameplay experience, i would not only want to do this again but also like a dozen fucking times at the bare minimum'

literally fucking how

I could possibly have the footage still around but I don't think I do and I don't really want to look for it. My memory's not always the best so I could have possibly confused it for another chest in the room, but I'm pretty positive that it was the two chest room chests.

I was pretty pissed off too, because again, items are generally better than guns.

>Sure, sometimes you crack the gun chest first, but there's really a lot of keys. You should be able to eat the few times it doesn't work out.
That's the thing though. I know you're bound to get shit runs and all because that's the nature of random generation but I've had relatively few key-plentiful runs and much more recently runs where I not only don't get any keys, but the shop (and other) doors are key locked.

I was mostly saying clone for extra master rounds and drops, but again I wasn't saying they were the only good items, I was just saying they're good.

I do focus blue chests, but again, no way to tell item/gun.

>Even if you get 10 junk in a run that's still enough of a statistical improbability to never bank on it, and that's the intended design.
I don't know about banking on it, but if you get all the way through forge without items (or maybe some items if you get a good shopkeep or earlier with extra chests) I think you should at least have a higher chance of getting him than 5%. I'm mostly just a bit upset they have him as a 20% chance to get, so when you're shit at the game and can't even be carried by him you get him, but then you're unlikely to see him again.

I understand the reasoning behind "Boss forces a gun drop if you didn't get a gun" but god does it annoy me the majority of the time.

Now imagine that fucker with the lost, the keeper, and then move on to delirium which is an even lazier and terribly designed fight.

>I understand the reasoning behind "Boss forces a gun drop if you didn't get a gun" but god does it annoy me the majority of the time.
Now there's something we can both agree on. If I knew a better way to game that than "pray you've found a gun already" you can be damn sure I already would be.

Ultimately I don't have a problem with item distribution in this game because it feels appropriate for value. Guns are a dime a dozen, and common as fuck. You'll have some good ones, some bad ones, and more importantly, CHOICES. Because the nature of guns as equipment allows for that. Passives are a bit rarer because if you've ever balanced something you know infinite stacking is fucking ridiculous. Opportunity costs are sometimes the only way to keep things in games from being OP, and passives have NO opportunity cost. They just stack with each other, infinitely. So yeah I understand them being rarer than guns. Finally, how fucking mad/bored would you be if you just got every active every run when you only have one* active slot to keep them in?

I'd probably like it better than getting a series of mediocre guns, but iit'd be annoying yea. Unless I've got a lot of guns and/or good room clearers most of the time I just use stock, or clear out big things and then finish kin off with stock. I think a rebalancing/changing of the rarity system itself would be good for the game (lead skin is D but jar of bees is C, somehow) but I don't really think that'd happen.

I thought the point of the blessed runs was "cycle through the guns and you pick up passive/tiems and it's fun" but no it's the opposite of fun.

Not only do you have the mediocre gun drops, but now they are literally non-existant so boss drops and half of all chest drops don't exist. They have the decency(?) to remove guns from the shop pool, why not the item pool in general.

i have to go to bed i'll talk more later

Afaict every single alternate mode is just meant to be a different challenge. This game was never designed to be comfy.

When it comes to the tiers, I honestly believe things like what you mentioned were an intentional choice on the part of the devs. For the most part, tiers are roughly indicative of something's usefulness once you're good at the game, but there are items thrown into each tier that convince me the devs also at times just wanted to keep all tiers relevant. Try looking at the contents of the tiers while keeping balancing thoughts in mind like:
-Keeping certain items out of the same tier as each other.
-Making you reach into other tiers for certain items instead of having a clear "best chest" that simply gives you all the items you're looking for.
-Keeping chest tiers from being a be-all end-all. Game wouldn't be very fun if only the best chests were ever useful. You'd just be like "wow there's a brown chest those aren't used for anything, why are they in the game at all?"
-Sometimes having worse options is actually good for a game. Generally speaking, players enjoy the experience of discerning for themselves whether something is good or not.

Also, important note:
They do NOT remove guns from the shop pool.
They remove your ability to BUY guns from the shop.
You will see a little "Out of Stock" marker on every slot in your shop that was wasted by a gun spawn.
They're just kind enough not to let you waste your money on it too.

>This Specter Knight final boss
fucking radical
I just realized this is probably the best 2D sonic game I've played in the last decade

Indies?

Indies.

Being poor is shit, you guys ever get that itch to give a lot of money to good indie devs?
I get that feeling everytime I see the store page of Devil Daggers yet I can't even buy it.

>it's an 'Brigand Marksman one-shots your rookie replacements three times in a row during the first round' re-run episode

Could it possibly be a first round bug because fuck me I've had this happen.

youtube.com/watch?v=8ak2EduZ-JI

14/? is a hell of a drug. Neat little game. Kind of like an exploration game or a walking sim. 14ch Eternal Gomez makes some pretty neat games.

According to his Twitter he was kind of surprised to see 14/? and 14/??? appear in the "Depth of Obscurity" image that gets posted every so often. Like right now!

Back in my day, Sonic was good.

nice to see one of these images I'm not in the deepest helldepths of

Should I be concerned I dip down into "The Pioneer" section?

In Underrail, which system is generally more recommended, the Oddity xp system or the Classic one?

How about adding The Dream Machine final chapter to upcoming?

How is Has Been Heroes?
Any good?

blog.playism-games.com/the-fan-art-of-alicemare/

Bump before bed

Bump while sleeping.

Oddity.The game is designed/balanced around oddity.

It's a fun system that encourages exploration and allows all playstyles to gain XP at roughly the same rate rather than forcing you to be a typical murderhobo.

Classic is only an option because it was used before Styg came up with oddity and wanted to leave it for those who prefer it for some reason.

It's pretty inbalanced right now, you will level and hit the cap far too quickly.

The Last Remnant is Oldfag tier?

The oddity system is sweet.

It's real painful finding repeats sometimes, though.

Don't pay attention to /v/charts.

No, it's trash.
Source : I played it.

>It's real painful finding repeats sometimes, though.
It's either that or you would be forced to murderhobo/open literally every container in the game for optimal results.

Which oddity is supposed to prevent in the first place.

Well, sure. I know. I get that.

But I still get butthurt.

>Wowwwww I haven't seen this neat looking oddity before. Level time bitches!
>*plonk*
>Oh. I have. And it's a 1-oddity max type.

You post that image, but deep inside you know that your collection is no longer complete. Stop lying to yourself.

I wish Lethal League was popular

It was never complete to begin with, I'm missing

the dice from Rail Crossing (and supposedly the gambling house if Styg added one there, no idea if he did though, I didn't check)

2 logs from I have no idea where

one quad damage module from industrial bot RNG

one black eye from DC since it wasn't there yet

and 2-headed mutant eye

I wish I was popular

I wish my girlfriend was less popular.

I too wish she was less popular.

Bitch's vagina is like a motel 6 and as loose as a hanging noose, except that unlike the nooese, it doesn't get tighter when you put your dick in it.

I wonder why people don't implement Bloodlines XP system more often

VtMB XP system doesn't really work outside of VtMB game format.

in VtMB the only source of XP is resolving quests, but the entire game consists of nothing but a series of quest hubs you visit one after another.

game?

>No Paradigm or THimbleweed Park
Come on, step it up!

Um, Snake Pass is pretty boring

did you play it or watch it? it's one of those games that looks super lame at a glance; it's more about having the controls in your hands and working them out.

if you played it idk sorry you didn't enjoy friend. I like bein snek

I played two levels, and it was pretty fun, but after that I already felt the repetitive-ness sink in.

youtube.com/watch?v=bVAt5e5AY4Y

Only one month left till the final chapter FINALLY!

steamcommunity.com/games/94300/announcements/detail/493549917884025552

Try just getting keystones and working your way through levels instead of collecting everything. See if you don't enjoy it a bit more once they feel comfortable spiking your difficulty a bit. Game starts off slow.

Personally, I've just been enjoying playing a level here and there and beating it at whatever pace that sets. I like the experience but it's not a game I'd sit around and play for hours

Hmm, I'll give it another shot

Battle Brothers