New rider help thread/general

So I decided to buy my first bike at the end of the summer, but I don't know jack shit about bikes so I was wondering if you all could give me some help.

I like cruiser bikes like pic way more than sport or other bikes so please don't bother suggesting them.

So this is what I have found so far,
1. 2000 Yamaha V star 650 with 10k miles, never dropped, no rust no mods $1700
KBB says its worth 1400, Id pay max 1500 for it.

2. 2001 Yamaha V star 650, 4500 miles, some rust on chrome but not too bad. also 1700 but comes with saddle bags and a handful of parts

I really like the Vstar 650, from what I heard its a good beginner bike, is this true?

What questions should I ask when I go to see the bikes?

I'm taking a friend that currently rides to test it out when we get there to make sure it runs fine.

Any general suggestions of other similar bikes (Preferably over 500cc and VERY similar looking)

Thanks guys

I should mention I'm only looking to pay about 1500 ish. I have friends with machine shops so I'm not worried about minor repairs

forward controls are shit
get a standard.

suggestions of other cruisers in that price range then?

If it's your first ever bike you may want to lower your expectations of getting and handling a 500 or over cc. 500 is pushing what you might be able to handle but if you're confidant, know what to do and not be a dumbass like I am with my grom you'll be fine, the Vstar is a very nice and good bike and is good for a beginner if you can handle it.

Yeah I don't plan to try to do wheelies or ride aggressively I just want to go back and forth to work. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to handle it. Its my frst bike but ive ridden 4 wheelers and other off roaders so though I haven't ever rode a bike I'm not completely new

Honda CB1100

I was under the impression that for a beginner, cruisers can go higher than standard/sport cc's (500cc rule) because they are meant to be smoother and not so aggressive

>meant to be smoother and not so aggressive

That is an interesting way of saying 'they are pigfat and need the power to be able to move'.

If anything, look mostly at the weight of the bike. Lighter = better for beginners. There are lots of beginner bikes out there under 400 pounds. Most real cruisers with bigger engines will be 600+

That's true but if you don't know how to ride all that well 500cc is still a lot for someone unknowledgeable (no offense we were all there once) even if it is a cruiser

Yeah and that period lasts maybe a week. Take a course and start on a 500, 650, or bigger depending on the bike (vfr, f800 are okay, gsxr750 or fz9 no)

Normally I'd say this, but since it's a cruiser it will be low and gutless so not such an issue.

600+ starts to get pretty spooky with sports bikes because they're so fast, and dual sports because they're so tall and unwieldily. But cruisers unless you're talking a huge bagger I wouldn't worry so much.

I think where it holds it's weight is more important. A 650 cruiser should be easier to balance than say a DRZ400, DR350, or even a 250 dual sport because the weight is up so high on those.

I mean yea if you ain't a bitch this works too

I bought a Vstar 650 classic 3 years ago as a first bike. It's 600lbs and 40hp. It is a fat and slow but stable bike. It can do everything you need. It will hold it's resale so when you want something faster you won't be out anything if you sell.

I bought it mostly to commute and it's decent for that purpose. It also hangs just fine with my Harley riding co-workers on the weekend.

In the fall I'll probably buy a Burgman to commute with. Dat milage, wind protection and no shifting really appeals to me in a commuter. I might keep the Vstar around for weekend cruising.

if you want to start out get something you can thrash on don't get something you want to keep. If it's an old piece of shit 250-300 and it's going to end up in the scrapper anyway you can learn on it and you WILL drop it.

Also get proper gear don't say " I'll just get a helmet I don't need a jacket," You do need a jacket that shit will literally save your skin. also get decent pair of gloves.

For a beginner I would suggest the Yamaha Virago then.

400 cc, it will cruise around town and highway no problem and its not some monster that goes to 150mph. Also, because its not a really powerful bike, it will be good on fuel economy. Really nice smooth torquey V twin engine, don't be fooled by the low bhp as it will pull like mad from a stand still and thats where the excitement comes in.

Lowe seat height and not heavy so its easy to manoeuvre or push around and out of your garage.

really for a beginner that has his eye on a cruiser I think its perfect.

>cruisers

>buy adventure bike
>never go of road

you're even worse.

sports tourers are the way to go

big adventure bikes are scarcely designed to go offroad.
that's just a marketing gimmick.
they are comfortable touring bikes.

>sports tourers
the worst idea ever.
sporty seating position is inherently uncomfortable on long journeys.

idk why i'm even in this thread i'm a carfag but holy shit this thing makes me want to get a bike desu

get it then, you won't regret it.

So's sitting bolt upright with all your weight on your tailbone.

Sports tourers aren't as leant over as sportbikes and the wind helps prop you up as well at high speed.

>So's sitting bolt upright with all your weight on your tailbone.
yeah, it's almost like sitting in a chair or something. how uncomfortable.
carrying my weight through my wrists is much preferable.

you are literally retarded.

If you're carrying all your weight through your wrists you're doing it wrong.

Adventure bike on road>cruiser on road