I downshift instead of putting it in neutral when approaching stops

>I downshift instead of putting it in neutral when approaching stops

>I hold the clutch in while leaving the gear engaged as I approach stops

Why the fuck would you put it in neutral? Are americans really to retarded to drive manual or is this just bait?

install gentoo

I unironically do this

Why is it bad?

>downshifting into first

i never understood the autism of people downshifting to a stop instead of just neutral braking, it's not fucking bad at all. Brakepads are not expensive. And remember automatics rely entirely on doing this.

downshifting puts unnecessary wear on your transmission and clutch

tfw to intelligent too drive manual

wears clutch release bearing a bit. Not much though. only if you're revving the engine like an idiot with the clutch in

Sames

No, that's the proper way of doing it. He's just meming

>revving the engine like an idiot with the clutch in
rev matching?

no, not rev matching

just plain old revving the fuck out of your engine in neutral

It's not unnecessary - you have to do it to select a lower gear.

>I downshift instead of putting it in neutral when approaching stops
>"RAOFL! You should hold the clutch in instead!"
>"You plebian of african decent! You should just put it into neutral!"

So what is the correct way to stop a car?

Well excuse me for achieving the same result slightly differently.

Many cars have the release bearing contacting the pressure plate fingers at all times. So no, not even that is an issue.

Whatever, just make sure you have the lever ready to go into second or something

Some people want a smooth engagement if they have to get going all of a sudden so they downshift once or twice

>light changes back to green
>already in gear and flooring it past 60 while you're still fiddling with the stick

r e k t

>pull up to you at the next light
>look down into your miata doing my best smug pepe impression

I'm asking because depending on the situation I either just downshit a gear or two if there's plenty of distance to whatever I have to brake for, and other times I just hold the clutch and brake, and shift down to the appropiate gear.
But some people go rabid depending on what they prefer, but can never actually tell me why it's wrong.

Lol in my country you fail your driving test if you don't downshift

I put it into neutral right before I stop/when the rpm goes below 1k. How wrong am I doing it?

You're doing it right f.a.m.

More like
>your bus pulls up next to mine
>we do our best to avoid eye contact

Seems situational to me:

Coming up to a light that has been red for a while: downshift so you can keep going should it turn green

30m out from a stop sign: pop that shit in neutral

Is rev matching for downshiting an advantage when braking? I don't do it while I'm braking, because I can't heel toe and it also helps stopping the car

No, thanks

is putting it in neutral the same as holding clutch down?
can you just do that before u decide which gear to downshift to?

>hurr what is engine braking
Fucking burgers I swear to god stick to your autotragics.

>i never understood the autism of people downshifting to a stop instead of just neutral braking
because leaving it in gear is movement without expending gas.
Additionally, it's makes braking even easier.
Not really, like at all.
Your bearing will probably outlive your clutch anyway.
>just plain old revving the fuck out of your engine in neutral
Well then it's not even an issue.
All it does is minimize the wear on the clutch as you match the engine and transmission speed instead of the clutch.
Heel toe is for faggots that can't take off without rolling back and doing it won't make you an indycar driver.
fuck off yuro, some of us can afford both.

it really doesn't matter, at all, what so ever.

i heel and toe because i like to.
if you like throwing it in neutral, go ahead, why would i care?

>Hurr durf downshifting approaching a light / stop sign
>I enjoy putting unnecessary wear on my engine and clutch to make my $20 brake pads last a bit longer

This is height of retardation

>All it does is minimize the wear on the clutch as you match the engine and transmission speed instead of the clutch.
false. if the revs are below wheel speed when downshifting it puts additional drag on the drive wheels as you lift off the clutch.
rev matching minimizes any unwanted forces through the driveline, and keeps the car stable.

>false. if the revs are below wheel speed when downshifting it puts additional drag on the drive wheels as you lift off the clutch.
Yes, by using the clutch.
Ergo, wear on the clutch