Why does Scotty hate modern car technology like push button start?

Why does Scotty hate modern car technology like push button start?

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2016/03/study-finds-24-car-models-open-unlocking-ignition-hack/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oldfag, resists change like oldfags do.

because it is gay
uniquely homosexual

>and the car even has cold air coming out of the cabin air vents! HAH! UNBELIEVABLE! what a money pit!

Think about it, it's such a ridiculous replacement to the original key start ignition.

The original electric starters from 1912 were pushbutton.

Hard to work on.

I rather enjoy my smart key.

Funny...I can pull the button out and put a key in mine if it stops working...

Scotty didn't cover that, because you do that in a Mercedes-Benz, and apparently at some point in the past, a Mercedes-Benz raped his dog while a BMW held him down and made him watch.

hes a dumbfuck boomer

Pretty sure thats standard, you can do it in a 300C

Keyed ignitions are so hard to repair that people just buy a new ignition entirely, and either rekey it and get the ECU reprogrammed for the new keys, or put in the matching ECU

I'd rather have something easy to fix like a literal fucking button

>button wears out
>2 minutes with soldering gun
>OH FUCK THIS NEW (ACTUALLY VERY OLD) TECHNOLGOY

What's next, some stupid nu-tech fuel delivery device for low cost applications that's essentially air flowing over a bowl of gas with a little hole in it? Man it would be so fucking hard to work on!

Because when it breaks, it's a pain in the a$$ to fix. Bells and whistles are great when they work. But they all eventually break.

Same reason I hate it; it's unnecessary and stupid. I had to spend $200 on a fob recently because mine stopped working, fucking unreal. I hate this shit.

>What's next, some stupid nu-tech fuel delivery device for low cost applications that's essentially air flowing over a bowl of gas with a little hole in it? Man it would be so fucking hard to work on!

I see what you did there

His brain is full of boomer plaque buildup. Probably agent Orange exposure. His anger at new technology is an outward expression of his literal inability to understand it. Boomer cognitive dissonance.
>I grew up in the age of rockets and Steve Jobers
>But keyless ignition eludes my understanding
> So it's stupid
Boomer ego saved. One more night of restful sleep before I die.

Keyless ignition is dumb tho.

Another thing to go wrong and it will cost way more to fix.

Just getting a new key fob cost around $800 for some pcb

This.
He didn't criticise pushbutton, but rather the programmable key fobs and the associated costs of getting a new fob

>has push button start
>still need a fuck huge key fob

It's more the RFID or whatever aspect of them that bothers me. A physical key will never run out of battery and is cheap to have copies made of. Not that user.

So do I.

t. thief

REVETE THIS

And why is newer technology a good thing?

SURE IT'S COOL AND ALL, BUT YOU'LL SPEND A FORTUNE ON FIXING IT WHEN IT INEVITABLY GOES WRONG!

yeah it couldn't be because it's more bullshit to have go wrong

i bet you think CVTs are cool too

>a$$

>these posters are absolutely fine with the way car companies are cucking everyone out of simple repairs with new bullshit tech

hmm...

Because he's an old-timer who can't bring himself to study high-school level electrical theory or electronic design, so he keeps himself perpetually in a bubble of ignorance, trying to convince others that this "computer stuff" is beyond their understanding when it's literally the same EE shit you have to deal with on old cars, just smaller and self-contained.

What he's saying is this: = "This stuff is beyond me. I am a fool who decided he was done learning in 1985."

it's only bullshit because you're an ignoramus.

sure thing bub

That's an excessively broad question. Newer technology tends to be better because it's built on the foundation of the technology that came before it. Stuff that comes out of left field usually needs work before it's perfect.

Before computers there were mechanical adding machines that basically did the same thing as today's calculators, operating on mechanical switches that today have become microscopic transistors. The function of the machine has not changed, they have simply grown larger in scale while shrinking in physical size and taking advantage of concurrent technological developments to add capabilities that are controlled by the exact same principles of physics as every manmade device that's ever had an electric charge passed through it.

A microprocessor is merely a rock that humans have tricked into thinking. Are you dumber than a rock?

yeah, they don't do a bunch of absolute bullshit in modern cars now, nuh uh. charging hundreds of dollars for an AC motor resistor? nah that always happened, we're all just oldfag stooges.

Thanks busrider, you sure got us!

read the thread, cuck

>goofy youtuber who has worked on cars forever says keyfobs suck because you replace instead of repair anything that goes wrong with them, and they're just more shit in a car to go wrong
>the thread is full of people agreeing with him
>detractors in the thread are spouting "muh boomer" bullshit instead of coming up with a decent defense

yeah great thread

Mine has the ranged transponder (e.g. Leave key in pocket), and then a passive rfid chip in the key so you can press it to the start button should the battery die.

>standar keys aren't broken
>"LETS MAKE EXPENSIVE SENSOR SIGNAL THAT MAKES IT SO THAT YOU STILL NEED THE KEY BUT USE A BUTTON TO START THE CAR FOR NO REASON! LETS MAKE IT EXPENSIVE TO FIX TOO!"
>"GREAT IDEA!"
>people saying that scotty is a boomer

No he's fucking not. Anyone with half a day of wrenching knows that computers rely on sensors and sensors break quite often. Specially on low end cars, but high end cars replacements cost a shit ton. He doesn't even bitches about new tech all the time, he explains how to fix it using computers and all for diagnostics and how useful it is to be able to use modern diagnostics systems

>he's old and likes old cars so he must be a boomer

I hope you don't sperg in public.

kek

Lmao he lives in Houston, sounds brutal

seriously this, my friend's dad has a lexus from 2008 and the car key is a credit card fob. You can fit it in your wallet. How fucking hard is this to do? I might actually like the keyles entry if it meant not carrying around a fucking massive fob everywhere but the engineers are too fucking stupid to do anything about it.

Nice counter argument.

He's a massive retard about electronics.

More importantly the reason why push button start is a bad idea is because the range is such that you can easily be MITM'd.

wired.com/2016/03/study-finds-24-car-models-open-unlocking-ignition-hack/

Systems in the early 2000s didn't have these issues because the central locking system was possible to MITM but the immobilizer was a short range RFID system so you couldn't easily intercept these things. Now that the immobilizer is also long range wireless it's trivial to hijack cars with keyless entry.