Yes, yes, well done, Pope Julius, well done

Yes, yes, well done, Pope Julius, well done...

...HOWEVER!

Why does this make me laugh so hard
Goddam venetians

I laughed.

How often has Venice switched sides in a war?

>be pope
>wage worldly wars using your holy capital as a base
>get pissed off when enemy mercenaries sack your holy capital

>the jew
>the venetian
>the anglo

Why are commerce oriented states so perfidious?

smart people are generally amoral

read Machiavelli, Thucydides and Nietzsche

[citations needed]

P.S.: Proper experimental studies, not some guesses from 500 years ago.

In that war? None. It was the pope who switched sides to fight France (against whom Venice was already at war), and it was the HRE who threatened to invade Venice if he wasn't given Milan and half of the venetian mainland for no good reason (well muh lombard league, but that isn't really a valid reason), which caused Venice to go over to France after the pope supported the HRE over Venice.

Wouldn't you need to find objective morality before attempting to study who follows it?
You can call smart people amoral simply because it's easier for them to wiggle around and make what they do seem moral to the people around them.

You do, but you require both the concept of morality and the test whether smart people really are not adhering to that generally.
One or the other doesn't suffice to make the claim true.

the dutch are pretty chill

>the pope switched side
Wasn't he supposed to be Christ's representative on earth or something?
Sounds pretty unchristly to me.

In his defense, Spain and the HRE had ignominously bailed on him, and handing all of Venice to France was a very scary prospect.

As a whole maybe but as individuals, I can assure you they are greedy, sneaky cunts.
t. belgian whose town is swarmed by dutch tourists every summer

Almost like if Jesus would have preferred his represantive to only hold religious power rather than fabricate a land ceding and get into this sort of situations

Yeah well, why should the pope give a shit about what jesus wanted? A guy dead for 15 centuries wasn't high on the list of people Julius listened to.

True, almost like if the Catholic claim to authority is pure bullshit

>a claim backed by force of arms and legions of adherents
>bullshit
I call that a very strong and righteous claim user, certainly not bullshit.

Yeah, that's right
Just like Muhammeds and John Smiths claims were rightfull and legit.

Unless you're referring to Joseph Smith of the mormons, you've lost me here. Was there any heresiarch named John Smith I never heard of?

I am refering to John Smith of Americas original inhabtians (mormons)