/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh (embed)

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur
>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

stellaris.smods.ru/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for dead genre

>he likes playing whack-a-mole on upgrades

>OP pic

>fanatic spiritualists
>ever

What the fuck am I reading?

You know what would be great, having Golden Years in Stellaris

Each year without war gives puts you in a Golden year that drastically increases research rate, but it also pisses off all your neighbors making them jealous

This kills two birds in one stone; 1. The AI is far more likely to attack you so your midgame isnt just passive researching 2. It still lets players still shoot through research

So basically it changes nothing, except saving the player time because you still research at a faster rate for a shorter time and gives you a reason to not be a pacifist.

Reminder that Stellaris is shit and Distant Worlds is based.

>Early war my neighbour so I can baby cage him
>The shitter has 6 systems with double digit mineral/energy/research production from stations
>Post war research gets slingshotted massively
>Within a couple of years I'm near fallen empire tier compared to other races
>Blob 1/4 of the galaxy without warring anyone else
>Spend the next 50+ years terraforming and colonizing hundreds of planets
>No other race in the galaxy is a threat to me. Could wipe out all of their fleets with a few corvettes.
>Realise I'm just wasting time until there's a crisis, that I'll probably be able to end before it even begins.

Its a hollow kind of comfort.

do you guys like elite?

Please rate my faction.

I want to roleplay a sort of ideal society for me, which got to start fresh by accident on a new planet. I'm considering dropping Xenophile and going for Fanatic Materialist. Should I do this? How do my traits look?

Bio:

>When an AI-piloted, human colonist ship from the UNE malfunctioned before reaching its destination, the emergency override systems activated and awoke the crew from their cryosleep. The ship crash-landed on an uncharted world with no casualties and few injuries, given the courageous efforts from the commander and pilots who took over. Since all communication functions aboard were irreparably damaged in the accident, these humans were completely isolated from Earth. The ship's AI - which held in its archives vast amounts of information on Humanity and its accumulated knowledge - was salvaged however, which made it the perfect teacher for new generations. The mentoring and guidance from this AI was vital for these humans to prosper on their new home, bootstrapping a scientifically oriented society in a matter of a few centuries.

listening to the music with the game on max speed while chewing through the remaining techs and creating gaia worlds is pretty comfy desu

elite what

You just got like 10 replies of people saying DW is shit

This isnt going to change anything

>megastructures
>still no way to build titan-class ships
Also how do they manage to make everything so barebones? Is it just one intern working on the game?
>wow cool you can be a hivemind
>no difference other than some numbers bonuses
>wow cool you can play as synths
>no difference other than some numbers bonus
>wow cool genetic ascension
>some extra traits and few new traits
Psionics is the only one they actually bothered to add anything for.

>when you're a fanatic purifier but you're maxing unity points for sweet ascension perks and you max out diplo because you can

>I want to roleplay a sort of ideal society for me
so one where you get laid?

>>still no way to build titan-class ships
They have to save something for the Military Expansion.

Im not kidding by the way, they've already said its happening.

Five bucks say the titans will be less interesting than the ISB ones

i might feel the same way but the 20-30 fps gets to me in the endgame, and i have no desire playing with less than 30 empires on a 2000 star map

Without a doubt. It's pretty amazing how they manage to make anything they touch underwhelming. sci-fi is a pretty fleshed out genre too. They literally have an endless amount of interesting things they could build around but they don't.

Civ VI
Pro: Less AI snowballing.
Con: Early game can be downright impossible at times.

Utopia/Banks breaking most of muh mods reminded me something pretty important.

I don't love Stellaris, I love heavily modded Stellaris.

Not helped by the generic tech tree shared by every ethos.

You would think a warlike race would develop better weaponr than some pacifists? Nope. Exactly the same. They just get some building instead.

We just need to wait 5 years for the espionage, military, diplomacy, religion & kitchen sink expansions.

Is there any way you can set what kind of star or star system you want for your start in Stellaris?

I'm kind of tired of having to re-hit new game over and over until I get one I like

I have no doubt that internally the Stellaris dev team is hated by the rest of Paradox, its probably a skeleton crew which is why they cant get much done.

I mean could you imagine you spend years making these history games then a small part of the team goes off and makes Stellaris that shits all over the other titles? Must have driven them mad with jealously. Its why stellaris got kicked out of /gsg/ at least.

Oh fuck oh shit guys I've never been in a war before and my fleet power is shit what do I do aaaaaaaaaa help me ;_;

>You would think a warlike race would develop better weaponr than some pacifists? Nope. Exactly the same.
Except thats false you utter faggot. Militaristic empires get a huge bonus to the chance of getting military techs.

Sit your fleet by your space station. Build more corvettes.

Once you beat his fleet, go kill his stations and you win.

Just re-watched Event Horizon.
Fuck that film is a piece of shit.
Gets the imagination running though, which is something.

Your first mistake was not immediately preparing for a potential war.

When you meet your neighbors, pay attention to what their personality is and their opinion of you. If they dislike you then time to start building up your military and preparing for the worst.

Start building up military ships, make sure their components are up to day with the tech you've got. Rely on your spaceport, it's still early in the game and that thing can provide you with a big fat advantage in combat.

>Set FTL type to "Warp only"
>Commonwealth of Man with their wormholes spawns in-game anyway

What did they mean by this?

Non-Telvanni Dunmer are extremely religious, just not evangelistic. Telvanni are distrusted by all the other factions because in addition to being ancient insane wizards they also border on atheistic, which is a big No-No in traditional Dunmeri society. Dunmer are big on respect for the dead, so it makes sense that colonizing Tomb Worlds would piss them off, too. I do think your pick of Materialist for the Telvanni works, though, but they really are atypical Dunmer.

Can a synthetic species turn aliens into more synthetics?

Would xenophobia kick in if so?

I can't even play Stellaris without mods, they just add so much to game.

>piss off fallen empire after colonizing tiny gaia world
>how hard can it be
>they march 88k worth of armies into my space and start a siege on my planets

What mods did you particularly like? I'm trying out the Alpha Mod right now and can't say I care for it. Adds too much useless shit that doesn't make the game any better or more interesting.

So I've noticed since banks hit the AI seem to go super wide at an extremely rapid pace compared to before.

I have no idea what mods to get, the master list in the megaupload isn't exactly useful and i can't use the workshop because i'm a dirty poor

Not the point I was making.
Also not especially noticeable.

I was meaning, every ethos ends up with the same tech choices.
There is NOTHING unique, except a couple of buildings, and maybe a couple of +% buffs.

Where are the militarist exclusive stormfire lasers & plasma missiles? Shit like that you double N'wah

The only ethic-exclusive techs that I know of are the Psionic ones which are reserved for the Spiritualist factions, who are also unable to research Droid/Robotic techs. Weirdly, they can research Self-Aware AI. Just not robots. They also get a unique Ascension perk in the form of Consecrated Worlds.

Once again, Spiritual/Psionic is the only ethic that Paradox bothered adding anything unique to.

>Not the point I was making.
Yeah, because you were making a wrong point you utter faggot
>It doesnt matter
Its a fucking HUGE difference, its x1.5 chance of getting all military techs. You can see the difference this causes in game by just looking at player and AI empires tech supremacy differences.

Locking techs to certain empires is absolutely fucking retarded. Different empires will have different priorities, but just because one is a pacifist doesnt mean they cant figure out how to lob a mass of metal through a railgun.

stellaris.smods.ru/ TRUST THE RUSSIAN HACKERS

Alright, but fuck I don't want to lose all my mining stations and shit.
I should have prepared yeah they're fanatic xenophobes and hate my Imperial ways and declared rivalry on my like a year after meeting me I'm fucking stupid

How does the War Demands system work? Anyone have any idea what I should be going for?

Just do the lowest score, which is humiliate, will let you end the war sooner

Pretty much what I mean.
And even then its only a couple of techs. Either robots or temples.

The only other one is the EXTREMELY weak slavery system from authoritarian/egalitarian. So pointless outside of RP purposes it might as well not exist.

Just have to wait for the good goy dlc.

Well, what the fuck's worth grabbing?

I like Ethics&Government Rebuild, but it needs to be updated. Aside from that I generally like mods that add more ship classes, ship parts, traits, and events. It's also a good idea to get the Multiple Crisis mod.

In general I just suggest you browse the workshop and see what sort of things catch your interest. Or search for things you feel are lacking in the game.

They've got 1.1k fleet power jesus fucking christ ;_;

>new update for stellaris
>new 20 dollar dlc
>still no key mapping
reee

Lazy faggots

Not counting stuff like shipsets (Sins of the Prophets and Downscaled Ships are a must get) or UI mods (I find Stellaris unplayable without the 1080p overhaul and Folk's tiny UI mods),
>Improved Space Battles, Doomsday Weapons & Ships is essential. Balance and Graphics are great, Living Systems is nice but will make your rig beg for death, I don't care enough about Micro Jump but it might be really useful
>No Clustered Starts
>Fallen Empire Expanded
>LEX (bring lube)
>Relics of a Fallen Empire
>Utopia Expanded, especially if you like ringworlds
>War Name Variety
>Crystallis Ship Modules Expansion or That Feel When's Bunch of Ship Parts. I prefer the former
>Harder Invaders
>one of Kolyn's titan weapons mods. Titan Weapons + one of the titan laser mods is a good choice. The Zenith of Fallen Empires seems like some really fun times but I have yet to try it out
>If you enjoy making your navy retardedly good and breaking the balance, Elite Militaries is an old one that should still work post-Banks and too hilarious not to try at least once
>Gods and Guardians
>Spurdo Species

Bump.

Can I assimilated aliens into my synthetic empire?

They've taken my one other planet and are offering peace.
Do I take it or do I keep the war going and hope they get crushed by my station?
I'm almost done researching a derelict shipyard and I'm praying to the fucking Mantle it shits out some decent ships. I can't get enough minerals fast enough to build up my military and the two other civs I've encountered are fanatic xenophobe isolationists and honorbound warriors who both refuse to trade with me

Improved space battles is great just because it speeds up the slow early game immensely

>capitulation to squids

don't even think about it user

Wellp this is what it shat out.
Maybe I have a chance, the enemy uses only lasers and all my corvettes have 80 shield strength so.
Alright user, to the death it is.

And gives you some fun toys in the late game
>tfw activating a Sun Crusher in a long time rival's home system

>>still no way to build titan-class ships
just download a ship class mod. I had one with different carrier types, battlecruisers, frigates, dreadnoughts and massive flagships.

They've got Destroyers ;_;
They're just cruising around my outer systems, dismantling my mining stations and crippling my economy and they keep fucking reinforcing.
All I can do is cower in my home system and wait for the inevitable

When the wiz finally gets his ass around to implementing full exterminatus stuff to the game I could see that being locked behind militarists and xenophobes on the grounds that completely ending the biosphere of an inhabited world isn't the kind of thing anyone else would really do even if they could on a technical level.

Oh thank FUCK you lifesaver I might be able to afford some actual fucking ships now

First 20 hours in. Should I just do random empire + hard and just figure out different play styles? I hate playing too easy and learning bad habits. I would rather be punished. Maybe I could compound this with smaller galaxies, I don't want to play on a huge galaxy and wait too late to realize my military is on my wifes sons level.

Oh for fuck's sake what the fuck is every goddamned race in this galaxy a fucking xenophobe?

Hey guys, newfag with a problem here

Recently installed Civ4 (from Steam) and all expansions. However, whenever I try to launch the base game or any expansion, the launch loading bar freezes at the "Init Engine" step and gives me pic related.

Google gives me old threads and none of the solutions I've found, such as changing stuff in the init file, have worked.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, did you manage to fix it?

I cut the ones that no longer work

Well thats just like, your opinion man.

better than xenophiles who will inevitably build a giant federation and team up against you

Problem is that if you just go random you might end up with fanatic pacifist xenophile and learn tactics which are irrelevant for all other playthroughs.

You will probably learn the most from xenophile / militarist /authoritarian, giving you all of slavery, multispecies management, and robot mechanics to play with.

WHY
FUCKING WHY

Alright guys they've pretty much locked me into my home system and they're not doing anything.
My fleet still has much lower fleet power compared to theirs but they primarily use lasers and armor compared to my autocannons and shields, do I try and push out or do I keep hiding?

>do I try and push out or do I keep hiding?
you're about to get raped

Make blueprints for cheap corvettes, the cheaper the better.
Mass produce them.
Try to kite an enemy fleet next to your star base and have your fleet hit their fleet while they are fighting the base.
Once enemy fleet is kill, go to nearest planet, bombard its defenses and land troops.
Once invaded,, pull troops out, fly to the next system, rinse and repeat.
Continu till you have enough war score to force a peace treaty/take a system.

This is my current Corvette design, should I strip it off all except weapons and spam them? I'm already at max fleet capacity.

Also, I've got deflector IIs on the way and I've shoved all my research power into physics to get it there faster.

1) Build a defence platform with a snare module next to your spaceport
2) Build more defence platforms until there's enough guns to defeat their fleet
3) Wait for them to attack, win the defensive battle.

>new game
>1000 stars
>max civs
>discover two civs about 5-7 stars away from me
>one is evangelizing zealots
"Oh, that's a shame; whatever, I can deal with them"
>other is fanatical purifiers
Fuck me

Ah cool I will try out that recommendation. What I had the idea of was emergent learning, like understanding "oh I can do to this strat cause of this SPECIFIC component of my empire", Fitting the pieces together and apart and then being able to look through how enemy nations are built up. I play dominions and that game each nation has a million unique moving parts and to understand your nation you simultaneously have to understand the specifc nose hairs of your neighbor as well, as opposed to treating every playthrough the same and getting angry at different results.

But I see you are reccomending a grabbag nation that can do a lot of mechanics, as opposed to a min/max

Well, the third I just found are friendly enough hegemonic imperialists; hopefully the zealots will distract the purifiers.

>This is my current Corvette design, should I strip it off all except weapons and spam them? I'm already at max fleet capacity.

Just make a new design, leave the current design so you can upgrade them later. If you have missiles unlocked, a cheap corvette with literally just 3 missiles and a power source can tear through opposing corvette fleets without point defence.

Do colony bases suppress minerals, energy, or science?

Guys, please answer these; I need to know if synthetic ascension is worth it.

Stellaris suffers from a problem that there are no significant differences between nations and the only victory condition is getting groß, so every playthrough is mostly the same.

But it's not *quite* that simple, in the sense that 90% of builds will function almost identically, but then in the remaining 10% you've got Hive Minds, Fanatic Pacifists, and Fanatical Purifiers, all of whom radically diverge from the mean and if you'd accidentally selected one of them you WOULD learn bad habits.

For that matter when you're on trait selection don't go for any of the lifespan adjusting ones, or thrifty, or industrious.

Lifespan is a subtle resource to get to grips with so it's best if you don't mess around with it while you're learning, and avoiding industrious/thrifty will encourage you to practice economic restraint.

Alright, how's this? I don't have any missiles unfortunately.
Plus, at only 7 minerals a month my economy is fucking crippled so it'll take a while to build enough

Welp, this is the longest I've lived so far, and it happens to be with my ferengi spider people. I've given out thousands of energy credits just to delay war. I got into one war somewhat early on, and the guy had 4x my military power, he bombarded a planet then just sat on it and did nothing, not even send over troops. I finally built up my own military to somewhere near close his (this went on for like 10 years), then he just sends a flat out peace offering cause it went on too god damn long. Now my territory has gotten huge and I'm wondering where to go next. I'm going to make at least one more outpost for the time being, not sure what else after that.

I've got destroyers now but I'm not sure how much help that's gunna be.

>taking a screenshot while the game is running on fast
M A D M A N
A
D
M
A
N

>destroyers
are a meme. not useful at low tier fighting.

is your captured planet being guarded? You should probably go recapture it otherwise you're going to lose eventually

>pirates about to blow up my energy station
>fuck, corvettes won't get there in time
>bro imperialists suddenly jump in out of nowhere with a 10stack
>wipe the pirates for me
>I send them a defensive pact invitation right afterwards
BROS
FOR
LIFE

>getting kicked out of /gsg/
That's for the best. It's kind of sad how bad /gsg/ is.

Are the Hann'Felir xenophobes?
If so, don't build an outpost to the southeast for gods sake

>destroyers are a meme
get a load of this baddie

>Stellaris that shits all over the other titles
whoa hey easy there bud, i mean i like it too but i'd still say CK2 is better
at least until Stellaris has also had 5 years of updates

I think he meant saleswise

Never underestimate the cash allure of casualisation.

Saia or Maelstrom? I'm trying to cheat those purifiers out of the most shit.

The only meme ship is the corvette
>M-Muh evasion

Wellp.
I did that, sent my navy out to bombard it and some transports to cap it.
Immediately after this happened.
They melted my snare station in two seconds and then melted my shipyard in five.

are distinguished admiralty or other fire rate bonuses worth it or is this a meme civic

You could upgrade your starbases to level 3, for additional defensive power and additional fleet cap.
But dnt bother with the destroyers, they are just more expensive shits that ultimately do nothing at all to help.

My gut says, Maelstrom.

Many brave Dawylia lost their lives in a fruitless but valiant defense.

that's just cause sci-fi is more fun than history

My does too; let's hope we're right