[ D a i l y B i k e T h r e a d ] - /dbt/

[ D a i l y B i k e T h r e a d ] - /dbt/

I don't speak Japanese, I don't know what it says in the pic edition.

>Motorcycle Questions & Answers
>Motorcycle Routes & Meetups
>Motorcycle Dating Advice
>Motorcycle Gear & Accessories
>Motorcycle Rating
>Motorcycle Adventures
>Motorcycle Stimulating Conundrums
>Motorcycle Hookups
>Motorcycle Pics & Boring Webbums
>Motorcycle Hot Opinions

Motorcycle ergonomics simulator:
>cycle-ergo.com/

Check your helmets score:
>crash.org.au/

/dbt/ gaydar:
>google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1YwqbzbdRjMAItdOZPktcND3Nr98

Noob? Git gud:
Webms with sound:
Previously, on /dbt/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n31j2_dkaCo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

time to replace my seat. found this outside of a store last night.

>brakes feel a little wooden
>hmm pads look fine
>let's bleed the front
>no fluid coming out of left bleed valve
>pull the bleed valve
>clear
>ok
>take apart left caliper
>pistons sticking, caramel brake fluid sludge
>clean and order new seals
>hmm let's check the line while I'm at it
>caramel sludge in both banjo fittings
>caramel sludge in the junction
>gotta get new lines
>gotta clean the junction somehow
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You motherfucker.
I'm jelly OP.

buy a new junction

Pic not mine, you mongrel.

I'm stuck in a 3rd world country myself.

>six weeks until SEM
>can't decide whether tires are good until next year or not
>can't decide if I should change oil before or after
>need to decide now if I want to get it done by then
Damn.

fuck are you srs

>honda made over 60 million super cub
>cant find a single good condition one in the US
>feelsbadman.jpg
im saving up to import a mint condition one from asia

>order new master and slave for clutch system
>get a call 20 minutes after ordering
>the part is in some warehouse in japan, it will be over a month before i get it
>tfw no overnight parts from japan
I really wanted to ride this week dammit

I feel it senpai

>evens ride
>odds hit the gym

Dubs = ride to the gym

Yuss, bye weebs

Id say thats a good idea, but my gym is in my basement..

I might be misunderstanding. Describe what the junction is?

I mean the metal dingus with one hose coming in from the master cylinder and two hoses coming out, one to each caliper. My dad claims it's called a "camel."

>tfw I was gonna ride this weekend and now I can't
>tfw I was gonna ride to work Monday and now I probably can't do that either.

Yeah, just fucking replace it. It's just a proportioning block.
Why are both your brakes on one lever?

Actually honestly it shouldn't be hard to clean. Chuck some pipecleaners in a drill and fucking go for it or get one of those bendy brushes.

>Why are both your brakes on one lever?
aren't both front brakes usually on one lever?

still gonna have to replace the lines though, I take it

post bikes

Yes, provided you took the time to describe your bike as having double fronts.

Like if I had come on describing the squeaking my brakes make, then went 6 posts before saying (typing) the word "drum."

my bad senpai I thought it went without saying

anyway, what do you think--replace the lines?

Yeah. Easier than cleaning, longer lasting fix.
On my econobox, I take every replacement opportunity to upgrade the part and whatever's attached to it.
Maybe treat yourself to new calipers if you've got the cash, too.

I call this baiku by the lake.

4-bangbros report in

why did you post that again?

Why?

>what is backpressure

>YAMASHIT
confirmed

plan
>get my dinner
>wank
>go to sleep
>get up at 12 for some midnight exploration
thoughts

Do it

But make sure to post pictures

>midnight exploration
Sounds fun

will do, I'm in gmt so 00:00 is 4hours away. Also open for requests if you want to see anything in particular (that isn't my dic / boi puss).

>get bike inspected
>fails, needs tires
>bike shop only stocks a small variety of dunlops
>buy tires online, new bridgestones
>bring tires in to get mounted
>NO
>shop only installs tires you buy from them even though they have no variety
>mfw
>tell him that makes no sense
>manager literally laughs at me
>says it'd be like bringing your own eggs to a restaurant and asking them to cook them for you
>I tell him that's dumb
>leave

this bike shop literally has service in their name

and the kicker is, I just called up another bigger shop/ dealer and even though they stock a wide variety of tires they said they could install whatever tires I bring in.

Literally a complete and utter detriment to performance in all but two-strokes but memed as necessary because of mongoloids who installed straight through exhausts without any tuning, lost performance, and swore that backpressure was good for power.

Some shops are just retarded

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on a "cafe racer" as a first bike?

Or any old bike, really. In my country, if I buy something pre-1987 insurance is about 95% cheaper (yes 95%) compared to something post-1987. A Ninja 300 is around $1800 a year for me to insure, at which point I'd be writing it off every three years. That doesn't really feel like an option to me.

For reasons I can explain later, I recently sold my car because I don't really have any need for it, or any form of transport for that matter, and couldn't motivate the costs that keeping it would incur.

I've been debating buying a motorcycle instead, because while I don't need one I really like being propelled along by setting fire to prehistoric plants and animals, but is a veteran bike a good idea? The riding would be limited to afternoon or evening rides on sunny days whenever I feel like it, and possibly an 80 mile ride on country roads to my summerhouse. There are no highways/freeways to it.

I've heard V-twins make good first bikes because of their power delivery; what about a Yamaha Virago 500 or 750? For a little more money, I could get a BMW K100, but I have no idea how on of those behaves.

1) Are the brakes as shitty as people say on old bikes?
2) Are old bikes generally as unreliable as the word around the web seems to suggest?
3) Are old bikes (with old suspension geometry/components) a lot more difficult to ride?

My dad has let me ride his Honda Deauville (650cc, V-twin) which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I didn't kill myself, so there's that. We use 50cc off-road bikes for transport around the summerhouse, I've been riding those for years. I have some riding experience, but not with old/veteran bikes.

>A Ninja 300 is around $1800 a year for me to insure
What the fuck

well i finally texted a seller and will head out to inspect a bike for the first time in a couple of hours
wish me luck with my anxiety br/o/s

so basically
if you had 2 sets
summer and winter tires
and you bring them with the bike in to change
they'd want you to buy a new set of tires every summer/winter because they don't want to use the ones you already own?
that's probably the most retarded thing a shop might do

It's because I'm 22 years old, once you reach 25 I've heard the cost of insurance goes down a lot.

But yeah, it's pretty fucked up. And that's a basically brand new 300 with ABS.

what country?

Probably canada

Well you suck then!

Sweden actually. So it's much worse than Canada...

anybody got experience with fuel system cleaner additives?

Does this shit really work or is it just occult tuning?

I know your feel, not even in a bike related way.
>Mazda made over 1 million RX-3's
>Absolutely 0 for sale in the US
>Last one that sold was riced and clapped out in New York and they were asking 20k

>are the brakes as shitty as people say?
That's down to the speciifc bike and how it's been maintained. Even old TLS drum brakes can lock the front wheel. That said, I had a 1993 kawasaki where you could pull the brake lever to the handlebar and it couldn't lock the wheel. The lines, pads, and rotors were all shot.

>are old bikes unreliable
Only if they haven't been maintained properly. But they fail differently to new bikes. New bikes will have a pattern failure of one weak part, for example bmw k1600s are chewing water pumps. Whereas old bikes will have random failures because you are past the design life of the bike.

>are old bikes more difficult to ride?
no

Find an autist selling an old UJM in good condition and you won't be disappointed. CB550, GS850, XJ650, nighthawk, XS650 are all good bikes to dip your toes in. I wouldn't recommend a k100, the design philosophy doesn't match your intended purpose. Happy riding.

Have a 500R with a yoshimura pipe. If I remove the baffle, that won't cause enough of a difference to require a remap/tune, correct? Sounds awful with the baffle in and wanted to see if it might be a bit better with it out.

>remap
>on a 500

wat

Am I retarded? I just got this, had a 600RR before, which required a remap with a new exhaust.

man it never rains but it pours
just noticed this got posted a few hours ago - both cheaper and closer to me. here's hoping the guy checks his email, let's see if i can make today a twofer

When I ran a shop, if I were busy I would not pull someone off of a Job that makes good money to, barely make the rate and that's a on a car where you can zip wheels and tires of very quickly.

Lets say they charge $10 bucks a tire and make $50 on each tire we sell, so a total of $120 profit all said and done. If the mechanic does it in under an hour the job is ahead (assuming my local insane 100 an hour rate) $20.

If we did the same job but didn't sell the tires, and it still takes an hour. We are now behind $80.

On a slow day I'll take 20 over nothing, but on a busy Saturday when that same mechanic can make atleast 80 more in the same time span, why would I?

I know it is inconvenient, but you MIGHT be able to get a better price if you bring them just the wheels and tires, hell they might even just ask you to tip the mechanic since that part is the quickest if you have a good tire machine.

I'm not saying you have to push asides other jobs to do it, but refusing to mount tires because you didn't buy them there is retarded
>hell they might even just ask you to tip the mechanic
wat

So I just replaced the oil and filter after buying my first bike a few months ago, and though the bike is in extremely good condition for its age, I know there's the whole mantra of replacing/checking a bunch of stuff after buying used, even if the seller said they'd done it all, so my question is in addition to oil, what else should I be looking at checking/re-doing? Coolant? Bearings, at least re-packing (if that's even a thing on motorcycles)? Mine's a shaft drive, so I'm guessing drive oil too?

brake fluid

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. I somehow got the idea that all older brakes were terrible, glad that's not the case.

Since I won't ever *need* the bike as such, unexpected failures and (possible) waiting times for parts or for having it in a shop won't be as big of a deal as if I was going to ride it to work every day. That's my thinking anyway, and makes me feel a little more comfortable with the idea of buying an older bike.

>CB550, GS850, XJ650, nighthawk, XS650 are all good bikes to dip your toes in.
This is great, I've got some reading to sink my teeth into for the night. Thanks again.

stop cafe'ing CX500s

>those wheels

this must ride like absolute horeshit

also as an owner of a classic japanese standard my CX was extremely reliable. I bought it after it sat for 4 years in a shed for 800 dollars, put a few days of work into it, and immediately used it as my only vehicle for a year and 13000 ish miles.

There's a few things you are going to have to live with, like >carbs, old worn out suspension and usually a heavier bike than the contemporary and old parts that are starting to get worn out.

G Ü L L E P U M P E

p much. I kind of miss that bike though, even if it was shit it was my first real bike and it faired well.
>day I got it

It's a very interesting bike, that's for sure.
All the bikes I'm looking at seem to have carbs, I guess multiple carbs is just something I'll have to learn how to deal with.

What's your opinion on shaft vs chain? People claim shafts are "maintenance free" but in my experience there's no such thing. Heavier but less dirty than chain?

Shafts are pretty much maintenance free.

About to start biking and thinking about my first bike myself. CXs would've interested me but they seem a little old and frail, so now I'm thinking about a Hawk/Revere or a Magna.

Shafts can go a long time without maintenance, compared to a chain that needs attention every 1000ish kilometres, depending on how lazy you are.

why does my bike kill batteries every 2 months?
it wont start (and it's kickstart only) and the dash is blank.
I had to wire it to the car to start it and as soon as I removed the cables the rev counter was falsesly displaying the highest rpm possible and it didnt run very well, it was very smokey
battery is kill, but it was new, wont recharge

It was an excellent bike. if you get an 80-82, it will be as stout as any bike. Like I said I beat the shit out of mine, literally did backroads blasts every 3 days for a year straight, the thing never missed a beat.

It is not the lightest bike, but the handling was pretty sweet and it had a decent amount of torque for a first bike. Nice thing about the bike is it is super easy to do maintenance on if you want to learn, and things like shaft drive and nut and screw rockers make it fairly maintenance free.

pretty maintenance free all things considered. maybe change the gear oil every 15-30k miles but you literally don't do much.

carbs aren't /that/ bad all things considered, just knowing how exactly to clean them makes a world of a difference. Once the carb is dialed though, if you use the bike regularly and keep fuel flowing through it you won't run into any issues.

yes but mantaining a chain is far simpler
plus it's lighter
plus no rocking forces
plus better torque transfer
plus less complex
plus less expensive

but you can still get a shaft if it stops you from whining because you have to put some oil and tighten it up every once in a while

maintenance on shaft drive
>drain oil
>flush oil through
>fill to desired level
>forget for 4 years
gee, so much effort billy.

You want my 2015 rustbucket?

no, gib honda win

Alternator is fucked

>Veeky Forums here

will this bike get me laid? this bike would look soo cool in my living room.

>PÖPEL
>PÖPEL
>PÖPEL
i have no idea what this comic was about except maybe fuel efficiency or fuel pumps but it's euro as fuck and i like it

Actually, Bauer Horst's manure pump broke so they hooked up the CB500X's water pump up. The rider wasn't happy about it but he's a cast wheel cuck so he didn't do shit.

You're probably gonna need bigger bait.

I kind of liked the comstars

and cb500x is a cucktier numale motorcycle

basically the germans referred to the CX500 as a liquid shit pump for some reason. Germany is a strange place.

kek

That your's, Kit Kat?

>sports bike
>male
>under 25
Yeah, it actually is super ridiculous. Re-roll your class and stats:
>cruiser
>female
>26
>$70 a year

Get a Shadow, a V-Star or Virago, whatever v-twin cruiser you can find for a good price. Don't listen to the literbike memers or the "first bike 250cc or less" folks, 600 to 750 cc range will be more than enough to transport you short and long distances with cargo or passengers as needed, without feeling the upgrade itch after your first year. Jap parts cheaper than BMW, I'd go for the Virago.
Old Hondas are fun. Old bikes aren't that harder to ride, new bikes just have random comfort things you don't need. They're not unreliable depending on the bike either, just download the shop manual for them and keep it handy. Yamaha are quality as fuck. Harleys are meme bikes that rattle apart at speed and need constant repairs; did an 8 hour trip to Denver and my 600 Shadow was braaappping with wide open throttle working as hard as she could past the speedo's 90mph, while my friend's 1200 Sportster vibrated to a point of extreme discomfort above 70; we had to tighten down shit on his bike at half the gas stops, headlight cables rattled out and shit.

If you get an older bike, shit will break sometimes, but it's easy to fix. Get a small tool pouch for your forks; I keep one on my Shadow with some wrenches, spare plugs, a little jump pack, zip ties, random electrical shit. I rarely need them.

it was when I lived in oregon. I have an FZ6 now.

It's actually not that Germany referred to the CX as a slurry pump and the joke got adopted by the comic author, it's that the comic author made the joke and Germany adapted it.

The author's name is Brösel and at the time he was drawing the hugely successful comic and animated movie series Werner. The guy is an oldschool chopper guy and he could not take the CX with its liquid cooling, electric starting and shaft drive with all its futuristic dohickeys seriously at all, so he made it the subject of comical jokes on more than just one occasion, but the poop pump comic strip is what stuck to the minds of people.

>ninja 300
>sport bike

It's just a German onomatopoeia (written sound), assumingly of what the author thinks an undersized V2 sounds like.

that's actually pretty interesting. The hondas I have owned (other than my SL125) all seem to have been loaded with tech that was ahead of its time. My 85(6?) VT700C had shaft drive, electric start, the stupidest electrical fuel pump system (but it helped keep the bike really narrow), over drive, dual plugs and a bunch of other goodies.

Here's Werner visiting the inspections to get his new "sausage indicators" approved:

youtube.com/watch?v=n31j2_dkaCo

Absolutely essential Werner.

>basically the germans referred to the CX500 as a liquid shit pump for some reason. Germany is a strange place.

its because the CX500 is water-cooled which some might consider bad engineering being a small engine and longitudinal V-twin as well.

I mean the entire point of that engine design is better airflow for cooling.

>can't decide if I should change oil before or after
do it before

gotta love Werner

I guess I will, it'll only take a day anyway.
The tires though, I just can't decide... it'll take longer and be fucking expensive.

it also was good for shaft drive being longitudinally mounted. in reality they went, "we make a moto guzzi-uh and improve it"

I audibly kek'd

If they need changing soon anyway I would do it before the tour. Would really suck having shitty worn out tires in the mountains.