opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/172496196/#172565405)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reminder that there's no good Godot games

>gogem's loli jam ends tomorrow
>his '''''''''game''''''''' still has no gameplay and no art
>his '''''''''game''''''''' is also the only entry
lmao

i changed the character and i'm also going to make my level backgrounds in blender now after the mess i made of trying to draw perspective

I want to C++ dev, is SFML any good?

Affirmative

here is the test i made of a blender background

>trying to draw perspective
When did you try?

>top down pixel art game
>perspective
You're doing it wrong.

here
well that's what this general told me to do and i'm in too deep to stop now

I'm assuming you realize that doing it this way you're forced into static screens. Also, to maintain the perspective you are forced to implement a system for scaling your game objects depending on where they are, which you don't appear to be doing.

>inb4 I won't do that
Then might as well drop the perspective nonsense

Your first mistake was listening to /agdg/

This. If you put perspective, you also have to make the player get smaller or bigger depending on its position. Otherwise there's no point in having the perspective at all and it will just look bad.

actually loli jam ends on the 15th.

>go to googumproduce.com
>last post was 14 days ago
Why don't you make a devlog on your loli game?
Also, why is it called loli sim if you don't play as a loli?

>I'm assuming you realize that doing it this way you're forced into static screens
yes
>Also, to maintain the perspective you are forced to implement a system for scaling your game objects depending on where they are, which you don't appear to be doing.
like anyone will notice or care
>you also have to make the player get smaller or bigger depending on its position.
nah it'll be fine, isometric games used perspective without having scaling characters
>Otherwise there's no point in having the perspective at all and it will just look bad.
the screen will look nice and the character won't i guess

>isometric
>perspective
user please

The only way you would not notice is if the perspective change is small, in which case the no point in doing it. The example you posted is pre-rendered 3D. Don't be a pretentious fuccboi and either double-down or drop it.

the characters are isometric, the backgrounds aren't

just look at the baldur's gate screenshot i posted, it's a 3D render with perspective

Pick one and stick with it
Isometric and perspective are complete opposites

>isometric games used perspective
Isometric is a projection. It's different from perspective.

The lack of scaling could *maybe* be ok if you're being very conservative with it but at that point you might as well just use a projection like isometric. You can quickly run into issues like this, for instance if you have a staircase or ladder close to the viewpoint and a similar staircase or ladder far away, the size of your character relative to this object can vary greatly. Since it's something the character interacts with directly it certainly matters. There's also the fact that you'd have to walk diagonal in order to walk straight in the context of your backgrounds.

Blender can render in different projection modes so why don't you just use those?

Just tried to post this image

because agdg demanded i post progress only in the thread or it doesnt count as progress. (source: boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/172496196/#172565405)
because the simulation genre names the thing being simulated, not the actor on the simulation (eg Sim City not Sim Mayor).

Hey man I just want to say that I like the look of your game. Sometime's agdg gives poor advice and sometimes the are right but I'm glad you are still working on it and I'm looking forward to playing it. even though you copied Dong Lord's sprites

See the difference?

>The example you posted is pre-rendered 3D.
and i just said that i was switching to prerendered 3D
>Don't be a pretentious fuccboi and either double-down or drop it.
no fuck you i don't have to do this
the backgrounds are obviously not isometric and the characters obviously are
> You can quickly run into issues like this, for instance if you have a staircase or ladder close to the viewpoint and a similar staircase or ladder far away, the size of your character relative to this object can vary greatly. Since it's something the character interacts with directly it certainly matters.
if it's a staircase then it will just look a different size
>There's also the fact that you'd have to walk diagonal in order to walk straight in the context of your backgrounds.
have you looked at what it actually looks like
>Blender can render in different projection modes so why don't you just use those?
but we're talking about resizing the character as it moves through the room, why would projection help this

i'm using gamemaker
ty man
yeah but the character is waaaaaay smaller than that

also if i don't use perspective autists tell me it looks like shit, no one is seriously going to complain hurr durr my character doesn't resize

>the backgrounds are obviously not isometric
Okay, I'm done. Get some glasses

>and i just said that i was switching to prerendered 3D
So far you've just been using blender to make the same shitty backgrounds, which could be hand made if you understood perspective. That's barely prerendered 3D.

>no one is seriously going to complain
No one can complain if no one plays it

>but we're talking about resizing the character as it moves through the room, why would projection help this
Because you don't want to resize the character, and using something like isometric would mean you wouldn't have to.

Reminder, if you make a sequel look at what the fans liked/disliked about the old game and ignore what people want in the new game.

1000 posts and 250 images you double nigger

Better dye your hair pink and start boasting about how progressive your game is going against the oppressive norms of perspective.

Here's why your approach is retarded: in the picture you posted the viewer estimates the bottom and top entrances to be approximately the same height due to, you know, the fucking perspective, but once you'd walk to the top it would be 2x your size, where as at the bottom it would be 10x. Now, -I F- you used that inconsistency as a gameplay mechanic, it would be excusable, but now you're just being a piece of shit with your 'nobody will notice'.

The bump limit is 750 posts

>159 filename
what the fuck

the background in baldur's gate 2 isn't isometric what am i missing
>So far you've just been using blender to make the same shitty backgrounds, which could be hand made if you understood perspective.
firstly fuck off

secondly it's easier and faster to use blender which is why i switched
>using something like isometric would mean you wouldn't have to.
but then people will complain that it has shitty perspective

you people don't know what you want
oh wow gamergate is here to trigger me
>but once you'd walk to the top it would be 2x your size, where as at the bottom it would be 10x.
from where in your ass are you pulling these numbers
> but now you're just being a piece of shit with your 'nobody will notice'.
actually the character isn't going to walk to the bottom of the room as the exits are at the bottom of the top wall and top of the bottom wall so they won't notice because they won't get that far

if you were talking about the character movement being off that would be excusable but so far you're taloking about hypothetical whattaboutery

How can you fail this hard at the fundamentals of art?

>it's easier and faster to use blender
Because you're an awful artist
I could understand if you were doing complex background such as cities or forests. But you're just doing rectangles.

compiling in visual studio opens up the ue4 project browser, instead of the project itself
what the fuck did i break

>How can you fail this hard at the fundamentals of art?
i'm not an artist i'm a gamedev
>I could understand if you were doing complex background such as cities or forests. But you're just doing rectangles.
every game using the same perspective uses prerendered backgrounds anyway

>i'm not an artist i'm a gamedev
>but i will still argue about perspective for 100 more posts even though multiple people are telling me i'm wrong

Listen to those people, for fucks sake.

Made a cool zone based shader
Want to eventually have it like creep in starcraft or natural selection

>every game using the same perspective uses prerendered backgrounds anyway
First, no
Second, they do it as an artistic choice, not because they can't do it by hand.

>but i will still argue about perspective for 100 more posts even though multiple people are telling me i'm wrong
i am arguing against it because you're telling me to either do something i can't do (resize the character ingame) or scrap all the work that you fucks told me to do
>Second, they do it as an artistic choice, not because they can't do it by hand.
i can do it it's just easier to do it this way

just like technically age of empires could have been hand drawn but it's easier to render shit

>i can do it it's just easier to do it this way
You just proved you can't >173868359

nevermind, i accidentally the launch params

yeah but that looks like shit
shut up

do you lot actually think the character looks bad moving around
or are you just talking about hypotheticals here

>i am arguing against it because you're telling me to either do something i can't do
Why not? Are you this bad? It should be a simple fix.
>or scrap all the work that you fucks told me to do
Nobody told you to do anything, plenty of people told you you're wrong though.

>do you lot actually think the character looks bad moving around
Well, it fits with the theme. Everything looks like shit.

>hypothetical whattaboutery
>if your character moves on a position on the screen
Are you trying to become a meme?

>nothing except the main path is vanishing
what is this fucking heresy?

My point is that you can use 3D models to have isometric orthographic graphics
Also
>that looks like shit
because your game doesn't? lmao

I don't see a big deal with the perspective both the new and old version look fine to me and I doubt the average gamer will care that much. Just focus on making good game play man.

SquareDev
Are you sure the green tile works? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't see when it consumes two steps.

There is a lot of shit tier art flying around, you are not exception. Nobody would care if your "art" wasn't Journey ripoff.

Buried in options.
>Tools > Options > Source Code > Code Formatting > C# Source Code
>C# Format tab then Edit button
It's a pain to do though since it's set up as a long list of checkbox/drop down lists.

Yeah, check at 0:04, it consumes 1 step when you're about to land, and another one after you land on it.

>Why not? Are you this bad? It should be a simple fix.
no you're telling me to resize the character ingame
>Nobody told you to do anything, plenty of people told you you're wrong though.
i don't mean now i mean before
>Well, it fits with the theme. Everything looks like shit.
you probably hate everything anyway
moving to a position you might not even be able to go

i think that's the fix, not allowing the player to go places where this perespective shit happens
what the fuck are you talking about
>My point is that you can use 3D models to have isometric orthographic graphics
and it looks like shit
>because your game doesn't? lmao
well i guess it doesn't matter what i do then does it :)
you angry slav

>shut up
great argument

telling me that i'm shit at art when i've already admitted that i'm shit at art only warrants a "shut up" from me

is this autism?

it's replying to all the people who have replied to me

>no you're telling me to resize the character ingame
I know what i'm telling you, again, how is this hard?
>i don't mean now i mean before
Nobody gives a fuck man, what do you think that if someone told me "user, your game is shit, go make it completely different" i'd listen to any of that bollocks? If you got roped into some idiotic scheme on a kambodian slave devving imageboard, then you're the only one to blame, you dumbass. Man up, grow a pair and start listening to costructive critique.

>I can do this
>you already showed you can't
>shut up
wew

>what the fuck are you talking about
this you inbred
HOW do you function?

In the time you've spent shitposting and being convinced that your art being shit doesn't matter, you could have opened a book and started studying.
Too bad you don't have any priorities.

So yes

learning animations is fun
>game play never ever

m8, just stop now.
The second you start insulting, no matter whos right, you still lost.

Also
>character moves under that structure on the right
>shadow disappears
>but the character himself doesn't receive the shadow
It's shit

you should ignore those haters man, it just makes you look bad. I am looking forward to your game btw.

Also the character's shadow is a circle while everything is projected towards a direction.

>Samefagging
Wew lads this is painful to watch

>reeee stop listening to constructive criticism!
>bad goy don't make a good game. only shit games allowed!

Since I decided to make textures for my game, I ordered a tablet yesterday and got it today, and this is the first texture I made with it. Way easier than using a mouse

>I know what i'm telling you, again, how is this hard?
because it's fucking gamemaker
>If you got roped into some idiotic scheme on a kambodian slave devving imageboard, then you're the only one to blame, you dumbass. Man up, grow a pair and start listening to costructive critique.
the last group of people said they were giving me constructive criticism too
some of it uses perspective with vanishing points and shit, just not all of it
some of it uses perspective
rly makes you think
exactly what a nodev would say
now that's a nitpick if i ever saw one
ty man
most AAA games don't even have shadows for their characters you hack
that guy isn't even me
it's not constructive criticism you angry racist

I didn't enter any competition

looking nice

maybe u can reuse the wood texture for a wooden chest or something

If you have a hard time doing perspectives you should take a look at zelda a link to the past or binding of isaac.

>reeee how dare you give me constructive criticism
>I just want to make shit games, how is being constructive going to help me make shit games???
>NOT CONSTRUCITVE!!11

That's pretty good my man.

I wouldn't use the same one, but I'd use the same workflow.

>some of it uses perspective with vanishing points and shit, just not all of it
yes, that's called not being able to do it
>some of it uses anatomy with proportions and shit, just not all of it

>some of it uses perspective with vanishing points and shit, just not all of it
but that's not how perspective works for fuck's sake you either do it or you don't
and in your case you definitely shouldn't, because you obviously don't even know how to pull off fake perspective

>it's not constructive criticism you angry racist

Oh you're a tumblrdev, please fuck off and never come back

>If you have a hard time doing perspectives you should take a look at zelda a link to the past or binding of isaac.
but those games look like shit
i cannot change the character size ingame and i am going to be using blender to make perspective

i am also not going to let the character go places where it looks like shit
so i'm going to use 3D now so i don't have to learn perspective, what's the issue here
angry angry racist

>tfw the only interesting thing about my game is an asset
>I'm still going to sell it anyway
I'm a hack.

>I want an artstyle
>I don't want to actually make that artstyle work
lel

Flying into an autistic rage over criticism (right or not) and writing 10 angry replies per post is not a recipe for success as a game dev, familam.
You need to learn not to take criticism and shitposting personally or at least be able to take a deep breath and count to ten before deciding who to respond to and how.

You're just making a fool out of yourself right now and you're not going to get anything out of it other than a sore bum and a bad reputation. If you took this sort of approach to PR on twitter or steam you would turn away customers.

>so i don't have to learn perspective,
But I thought you said you can do perspective, now you say you'd have to learn it?
>what's the issue here
You're changing the artistic direction based on your incompetence instead of it being a choice.

Okay, I see, you're a troll. Please leave
>>/reddit/

cannot wait for monster girl gamu!

You guys are both idiots. On the one hand it's kinda amusing to see people try to argue about things that you don't understand in the slightest. On the other hand, the things you make are grotesque.

One day [namefaggot PHI] it would be nice for you to show someone who has an understanding of what a projection is as being completely apart from an understanding of linear perspective.

>because it's fucking gamemaker
image_xscale/image_yscale
>the last group of people said they were giving me constructive criticism too
perspective doesn't work that way. Your perspective is all over the place. You don't even know how to construct an argument since you post an image from Baldurs gate where they use orthographic projection and just move the camera on one plane.

Just fucking draw your scene in full perspective and see how better it would look like.

What's so special about it?

I'm not him if that's what you are implying
He tried to fix it but wasn't skilled enough, so at this point it's not helpful any more.

fuck off

Little storytime from the last thread, didn't realize it was about to die when I wrote my post.

Doesn't fit into one post, so here are the links:

How much should an artist charge for a pretty static UI with about 6 buttons with unpushed and pushed states?

500$ per button

Every time you bloody idiots try to talk about art in here.

nothing he's literally advertising that shitheap here and on /v/ periodically with that gay quote
you know what to do about blatant ad spam, right?

Thanks, user!