/sthg/ Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ #732 - Greenish Hill Academy Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews and General InterestsGame Development InfoNew Info and Leaks on Mania and Sonic Forces

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gnBlHfc4Lh0
youtube.com/watch?v=0_V3zmjBj5Q
discord.gg/5AnRd
dl.humble.com/teamcherry/Hollow_Knight_NoDRM_Win_x86_1.0.2.8.zip?gamekey=z8ysvUrBhyb7XHBV&ttl=1492222137&t=c2a4dbbf457e68ae5c78b290306087fd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fast

Claimed in the name of Wave.

>No Hill Top Zone

Not an argument.

Make way for best fox.

>tfw no bf to play sonic games and maybe hide the pickle with.

Screw that, thread theme starts now.
youtube.com/watch?v=gnBlHfc4Lh0

>no green hills
>no mecha green hill

>Feralshit

No!

>Green Hill Zone's
>Some of them aren't even called Green Hill Zone
Evening, reddit.

>You notice Green Hill Zone gets worse and worse in every game after 1 sans Generations.

Wow, the Green Hill Zone from Forces looks like shit compared to the one from Generations-- judging from comparing screenshots, anyways.

Reminder that there is something coming from Sega Japan about Sonic Forces within the next 14 hours.

Shit girl with a man's body.

That's why I let them slide in and called the edition "greenish hill zones" , cause I am a needy goat and want my favorite levels to.

And I would have gotten away with it to if it weren't for you meddling anons.

Fine, have this one instead.
>tfw I clearly and knowingly have an unhealthy attachment to a fucking cartoon, mutant, 8 year old fox.

If you're gonna put in Splash Hill, why stop there? Where's Seaside Hill, Windy Hill, Sky Road and Sunset Hill? Also, you forgot Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax's stage.

I'm in full defeatist mode and think it'll be insignificant and change nothing.

>Greenish Hill Academy

Fuck. You. OP. Thanks for reminding me of that fanfic.

Isn't it the SJW drama Sonic fanfic?

> mfw playing Sonic Heroes for the first time

For some reason I completely forgot about those ones while I hurried this edited compile.

I have failed as a OP.

>tfw absolutely fine with green hill trope

They are gonna annouce that all the Classic stages are going to be rehashes, but with slight differences in the background. Since we got Green Hill but will Sand instead of water, we're probably going to get something like Mystic Cave, but it's not in a cave. Or Sky Chase Zone but the Clouds are grey and heavier, leading to occasional drizzles.

Better than nothing. At the very least, they'll just give a recap of everything in the direct. It's probably not worth getting excited about, but definitely worth at least a peek.

>Read about 41-42 chapters of it because of those threads talking how off-the-wall it gets.
>I'm slowing losing my sanity because of it.
>But I continue to read.

This general is a bad influence.

Having a OC generated 3rd character in Sonic Forces makes total sense from a business standpoint.

When Sonic Adventure 2 was released, fan characters rose to an all time high, thanks to the introduction of Shadow, and the game's darker, more serious storyline. SA2's lifetime sales are over 3 million. Most of those sales are to children and teens, who found and fell in love with the Sonic fan community. And what's the first thing you do to become a part of that community? You create your own Sonic fan character.

This has become something that is passed down, throughout these years, to each generation of children. Even now, there are kids creating and posting pictures of their Sonic fan characters, while looking up to old, popular fan characters of the past. It's basically a tradition at this point.

16 years later, those kids who were there for the peak of all this are now adults, with their own disposable income. So how do you attract those potentially millions of sales back, and get a whole new generation interested at the same time? You give them the chance to finally make their dream come true:

Their very own fan character helping Sonic save the world from Eggman's dark dystopia in a CANNON Sega game.

It's genius.

Oh yeah? From whom specifically? If it's Iizuka then I don't want to hear it. That plumber-obsessed cretin is probably the one who put that boost pad in front of that loop.

Watch as it's going to be fucking nothing.

gotta let that boost pad go desu

Reading that in Patrick's voice killed me

I thought about the name first without the fanfic, then remembered it was from a fanfic, then immediately put it in as the edition for keks, aint I a stinker?

Yeah I know, wasn't this game developed for 4 years now? I would have thought their first levels would be top notch.

I really could have used these thoughts last thread I made, really nice scenarios you got there.

Now do it with Squidward voice, and add at the end "Nya ka ka ka ka"

This general is not responsible for your illusion of sanity, but rather, for dispelling it. You're welcome.

>hide the pickle
What did he mean by this?

ALL WITHIN THE SPEED OF A LIGHT THAT ONE WILL FIGHT TO COMMAND

No. Fuck you. There's no reason for it. Boostpads are the thing killing Sonic. They are the reason slope physics and momentum no longer exist. They are a scourge upon the franchise and they need to be wiped out with extreme prejudice.

DON'T STAND DOWN, BREAK THROUGH

>They are a scourge
The hedgehog?

They've been "killing Sonic" since 1998. The Dash Panels and Speed Boosters don't really matter all that much.

That was my reaction to playing Werehog stages for the first time.

If they're going to add an OC creator in Forces it better be at least decent.

I don't want to just make red and green Sonics, let me choose races as well. I want something along the lines of the Lego Games or Xenoverse at the very least.

Kek

>No. Fuck you.
R-rude!

A complete non-issue. It helps guide the player which can help straighten out players in 3D. And while it's silly and relatively pointless in 2D, it doesn't harm anything.

>They've been "killing Sonic" since 1998.
Exactly.

>They are the reason slope physics and momentum no longer exist.
Other way around mate.

I miss when Salt was around, making casually saucy stuff.

How don't they harm anything? They hand speed to the player on a silver platter, perpetuating the "Hold right to win" mantra that's become so popular with the "Arin Hansons" of the world. Thank god for Mania.

While, yes, players need to be directed while running around in a 3D space, it should not be done with Boost Pads. It should be done with actual level design like, say, a golden collectible of some kind? It's one thing to tell the player where to go. It's another thing to MAKE them go.

Oh, my mistake.

They are the reason momentum and slope physics no longer exist.

Better?

correction: 1992. Lest we forget.

Correction: Sonic was dead on arrival.

Correction: Sonic was dead the moment he was even drawn.

Correction: Sonic was never alive. He is a cartoon character.

>It helps guide the player which can help straighten out players in 3D.
If you can't do that with actual level design then fire everyone responsible and hire people who aren't incompetent.

>They hand speed to the player on a silver platter
No worse than the spindash.

RIP Sonic
1991-1992

>Momentum and slope physics no longer existing are the reason boost pads are so over used.
Fixed that for you user. It's an honest mistake, so I don't blame you for it.

In Classic Sonic's case they have the boost pads to make Sonic go fast because Sonic Team can't be assed to make momentum-based physics well. Remember how fucking DIMPS got more accurate Classic physics in Generations 3DS?

I bet even the loops are still scripted like they were on the normal Generations.

youtube.com/watch?v=0_V3zmjBj5Q

This video gives me life, maybe all of you need a listen.

DELET THIS

>Hold right to win mantra

No one's ever said this. No shit going forward in a Sonic stage helps you beat the stage. The meme was "boost to win," stupid.

At the bare minimum:

>Bois
>Grills
>Hedgehogs
>Foxes
>Birds
>Cats
>Rabbits
>Squirrels
>Simple clothing/accessories

What would be nice to have:
>Bears/Pandas
>Dogs & other canids
>Mice & other rodents
>Other felidae
>Raccoons

Absolute madmen wish:
Echidnas

discord.gg/5AnRd

>No one's ever said this. No shit going forward in a Sonic stage helps you beat the stage. The meme was "boost to win," stupid.
You've clearly never been on /v/ Sonic threads (not that you should ever want to be on them, the only time they're not shitty is by either miracle or if it's storytime threads with comic issues).

There's always, ALWAYS that guy that will proclaim to his very last breath as if he only exists for this purpose that Sonic is "hold right to win". It's not even bait usually, it either descends into insults or they genuinely go out of their way to provide arguments and counter-arguments about every single potential thing they can to bitch about Sonic being too easy and baby's first platformer.

If this is what ends up happening, I might excuse the classic Sonic gameplay.

dl.humble.com/teamcherry/Hollow_Knight_NoDRM_Win_x86_1.0.2.8.zip?gamekey=z8ysvUrBhyb7XHBV&ttl=1492222137&t=c2a4dbbf457e68ae5c78b290306087fd

Better game then Sonic Forces/Sonic Mania will ever be.
Sonic should have a Metroidvania esque Adventure game someday. Probably never @ this rate

>Sonic being too easy and baby's first platformer.
That's Kirby, and Kirby is a good series, if not Nintendo's best series.

>Giving an honest to god fuck what /v/ thinks about Sonic
>Ever

There's the problem, user.

You posted this last thread. No one cares.

>Zelda pic
>Metroidvania
I don't know which is worse.

It's ironic since the video is mocking valid complaints.

>There's the problem, user.
It's not so much that I care as it is that I come across this shit and see just how vehemently people hate Sonic that they create complex debates and hop through elaborate mental gymnastics just to complain about something others like. Not to mention how many people get hooked into these debates.

Then again, it's /v/ so I guess that's not exclusive to Sonic.

At least the Spin Dash is something that I consciously do of my own accord. This is a video game. Even if you assert that the Spin Dash gives the player speed, at least I have to press a button to do it.

Same goes for Boost. People complain that the Boost is the thing killing Sonic for giving you instant speed, but at least I'm pressing a button on purpose to do it. Boost Pads can't even boast that much.

Also, sorry. Didn't mean it.

>trying to disprove legitimate complaints by reciting them with a silly voice without bring any counterpoints to the table

This is the worst thing ever actually

The best thing about Boom Sonic not being in Forces is, the Boom franchise will die off and not sully the main series.

>tfw it's back
Suffering.

Worst I've seen all day, at the very least.

>still no Sonic/Amy NWF pic
Drawfags pls

The only thing Boom related that should stick around is Sticks.

>no avians or reptiles anywhere on the list

cmon son

This legit made me feel anger. Fuck.

>At least the Spin Dash is something that I consciously do of my own accord
>b-but
So you're defending what's essentially the same thing but can be abused rather than being stationary.

Can we get this with Bump and user?

But I did list birds. You're right about reptiles though, given how we have Vector and Espio. And how could I forget deer.

How? No one was expecting Forces to be "Sonic's triumphant return".

Sonic Cycle has only applied to Unleashed and maybe 4, otherwise it's still the same tired bullshit.

>Can we get this with Bump and user?
>implying user would turn down bump advances

Y-yeah, no one

Not dunkey

So it's actually this one instead then.

I SWEAR i was gonna say cervids next. Fuck man, you're a mind reader.

Though aquatic animals would be good too, like that one bottlenose dolphin that was floating around the past few threads

Someone really needs to add "Denying the Sonic Cycle" as part of the cycle.

>Complaining about shoe buckles

Explain to me how Colors, Generations and Mania fit into your faggoty 2008 meme, then.

And now people are bitching about how only Sonic is playable, and potentially one new buddy.

This one seems more likely, honestly. Boost pad about as bullshit of a complaint now as shoe buckles.

>green eyes
>blue arms
same fucking principle.

Not all true. People was expecting Forces & Mania to bring Sonic back from the shit ROL & mediocre LW. So far, it looks promising, but it's gonna be an all-time great Sonic game. At least based on what we've seen, because who knows? The final product could be amazing.

>implying your inplications

Not him, but it was broken during colors. Hence user saying the Cycle is back.

The Spin Dash is different because of the simple fact that, when the initial burst of speed is done, the player is in ball-form. This means that Sonic's momentum is entirely dependent on the terrain for the few seconds after the Spin Dash is complete. What's more, you must stop in order to perform the move, thus there is a give and take when it comes to performing the move. This is also why the Super Peelout is, at least, somewhat forgivable.

With a Boost Pad, it gives you instant speed regardless of your state. You hit the Boost Pad while running and you can keep running afterwards. This is a case where there is absolutely no give and take. You enter it with either a little speed, or no speed at all and you exit it with a static, defined amount of speed.

This is the difference between the Spin Dash and a Boost Pad.