What would car culture look like today if Initial D and F&F didn't exist...

What would car culture look like today if Initial D and F&F didn't exist? Would it just be old boomers doing Chevy v Ford until they all die

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NwZfSDaZ9pI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

while this popular culture may have influenced many of Veeky Forumss car people. Don't assume everyone gets their hobbies from some 7/10 movie and a weeb show

I doubt it. 90's Japanese shitboxes are charming enough of their own.

Actually it would look a lot like it does now. The impact of F&F and ID has waned.. 15 years ago EVERYBODY had a civic with a fart can and body mods, or they did a JDM build (Initial D or Wangan Midnight understated style).

Now, except for the hoonigan douches, people are leaving their cars alone unless they actually like modifying them. The fad shit is mostly over and done with.

yeah those just magically invented car culture

it didnt have any influences from the real world those damn writers are so imaginative

if not for them people would have never modified anything other than American muscle

initial D had almost no impact. all the featured cars were already very popular. the only car that might have benefited with a boost in popularity is the ae86.

ITT: Denial

FF stemmed from this car culture, not the other way around.

Holy shit you're retarded.

>fast and furios
>7/10

JUST

Here, have an image of a 1992 cover of Sport Compact Car.

initial D and F & F are entirely based on existing car culture of the time

If they didn't exist then some other movie/series would have been made about it eventually

The AE86 was already popular. Your think a corolla from the 80s is overvalued because of an anime?

Last I checked a yellow trans am is still easy to get

I live in Los Angeles and grew up loving to drive. I never cared about straight line times, always loved the canyons. Never seen fast and the furious or initial d. It was a natural occurrence.

SWEET CHRIST. Look what they did to it. Can't people let Honda Civics just have a little bit of dignity?

No because the 80's and 90's Japanese sports cars were and still are fucking awesome. I am collecting them for my Gran Turismo Garage, in real life.

thats just the shitty American car scene of the time

everything got billet and shitty paintjobs during the period

meanwhile in Japan

Much better.

Mk 4 Supras would be less expensive.

>yeah but user it was popular before then movie
>yeah but mid night
>yeah but epic Ferrari duel DID actually happen

Shut the fuck up, Supras are ONLY expensive because of FNF. Not buts.

I have been into Japanese cars before I was into anime, and desu never cared for F&F movies, so I'm sure I'd be fine.

yeah youre wrong about that

Look 4 gud kar online
>shit but functional supra oldass corrola driftbox no purple glitter paint
>no half installed coilovers
>TFW not paying meme tax

Pretty generous in my opinion

This. Literally no one in the west had heard the Supra name until F&F

Speak for yourself kid
I remember seeing supras rolling around the city as a 5 year old long before fnf was a thing

Lol sure you did

Wtf? Those movies came about because of the culture. Their influence is negligible.

Sure they came about because of the culture, but the movies took that page and wrote a book with it.
Prices for key cars in the movie skyrocketed overnight, despite their already prevalent footprint within the culture.

I think if it wasn't for fnf the majority of people who modify Japanese cars would still be Asians and mexicans.

I know younger people deny this but pre fast and the furious the majority of people who modified Japanese cars with plastic bumpers were minorities and white guys tended to be into American v8s.

JDM styling only started to take off around 2005.

What was the owners name?

I'd put money on him not having a white guy name as cars like civics weren't typical white guy cars until after the fast and furious.

I remember them being sold in the local trading post for about 2k when I was a teenager and begging my father to let me get one.

I watched them become over priced... I know for a fact they weren't always this expensive.

Have you seen what they are doing to civics in Japan at the moment?

chrome 17"s are coming back into fashion among Japanese civic owners.

Also the fact that a soarer is basically the same car and it's a worthless shit box.

These movie popularised modern Japanese cars among young people and made a subculture more mainstream.

In the early 2000's modified cars were like fidget spinners... a youth fad.

Over Rev would be more popular and weebs would just be fapping over AW11's rather than AE86

I hate people that only know the supra from FnF. heh I learned about it from playing gran turismo 3

yeah that must be why hellaflush and kanjo style are popular over there atm

d a t s u n
1 6 0 z

It's hard to tell, I mean, we're in it now.

Every car movie had its influence imo. What I know is that most of my car dreams are made of a clean AE101 20V build, and a AW11 restomod, so at the end of the day, I don't see how these movies had any influence on my tastes. Sure I learned about a few models and so on from various movies, but that's about it.

If anything, they help me finding out what I don't like about cars and car people.

The car culture would be driven mostly by pic related

like it pretty much is if youre a boomer or gen xer

It'd be way less cancerous.

The only thing ff did was raise the price on the Toyota supra. Now Dodge is trying to cash in

More than one trend can be popular at a single time.

Actual photo of what's japanese people are doing to civics at the moment.

The FnF came from the car culture, not the other way around.

For a company that engineers their cars so excellently, Honda has the most retarded enthusiasts.

Yes but it helped popularise something that was a lot more niche.

Wrong. My first real car was a 1985 corolla GT-S. I think we got it for like $1500 in 2000. Those cars were cheap as shit back then. My second car a SUPER clean s13 coupe in like 2002. Got it for a grand, 60k miles.

I don't know why retards believe that every car in Japan is a stripped out touge machine.

The Supra was always expensive. They didn't make that many. My buddy bought a 300zx in 2001 (a 1995) for $11k. A supra at the time was well over $20k.

yeah some niche guys imitating 30 year old US trends is a big movement hell you can still find cars like that in the US

but hey its cool that you call people retarded when youre dumb as hell yourself

HAHHAHAHAHA no they weren't. I remember being 16 in 2000. There were hundreds, literally 200+ people lining up at every car meet in the city to race. Then the FnF came out, and it just fueled the fire. Car tuning was HUGE already, the FnF just brought spics and normies into it with shitty del sols and stripped out civics.

No it didn't. How young are you? The car scene was HUUUGGGEEEE before the FnF.

I could find several more cars with large early 2000's from Japan like this.

It's quite popular and It's not as niche as you'd think.

but apparently one guy liking a few images is more telling of a nations car scene than events that center around said scene

Born in 1990.. My dad was a drag racer at the time the movie came out. I saw the changes.

Before fnf it was more soics and Asians.
That's the whole reason why there are characters like Hector and Johnny Tran in the film.. Because at the time modern Japanese cars were a thing popular with mexicans and Asians.

thats not even 2000s style

thats 80s-90s style mexican style seeing as how theyre parked with lowriders it makes sense

and if its as popular as you act youd think more of the cars would show up to meets

Maybe if you live in Commiefornia or Florida. There was a whole big world out there Jr. Also, you were 10 when that shit was poppin off. You don't know what was happening. I still have old tapes from my camcorder of those days, the scene was insane.

I bet you I could find over 100 photos pf all the hondas with big chrome wheels that are becoming popular in Japan now you meme beliebing retard.

Post them on youtube and link them here?

(You won't because those tapes don't actually exist)

and I could find over 200 stanced Hondas in Japan

so what bruh

Street racing in Japan has withered away, look at Japan in the mid nineties and it would look a lot like Initial D but now it's all about showing off and street racing isn't as prominent as it used to be. Initial D was a product of Japanese car/street racing culture itself and influenced it in return.

The Mid-night Club that was formed in '87 and ended in '99 due to a major accident was a one off, it'll never happen again.

>go spend hours and hours converting tapes to digital so I can see what it was like when I was 10

Yeah no. Go to youtube.
youtube.com/watch?v=NwZfSDaZ9pI
There's a start for you.

If you people who were not old enough to remember the modern japanese import scene prior to 2001 were to dig up old media.

You would realise that a lot kf the people into them before that movie were minorities...

you learn that white people ruin everything eh

That's okay. I know the tapes don't really exist.

You would actually notice that Mexico has had a spic problem for way longer than you realized.

They were around for that long? I only thought they were about for 1-2 years

Even Stephen Papadakis is greek.

>ignores plenty of proof on the internet
>just so he doesn't have to anonymously admit he was wrong online
Are you sure you're 27 and not 12?

Try the old import tuner magazines. It was big in the mid 90's we were all building Hondas Datsuns and vw. like look up vintage Jap rims like the shark stars. ff had nothing to do with creating a car culture.

Yeah that's because it's a magazine about an interest.

You can find magazines about almost anything it doesn't mean it's popular.

Initial D and F&F didn't invent car culture, they were just media depictions of existing car cultures.

Sure people wouldn't be talking about 2gay runs in the west, but we'd still be hooning in the mountains. Or as faggots call it"canyon carving"

Just go look into old footage of the import scene prior to fast and furious and you will realise it was dominated by minorities.

Even the guy interviewing the people in this video is Italian.

>cali
>full of minorities
WOW, what a shocker.

The old japanese wheels like star sharks didn't really become popular outside of Japan until 2005 maybe later.

I remember back most of my friends who had star sharks and ssr mk3s were being asked ehy there cars had funny little wheels.

I would even bet nobody here can did up a photo of a car in America with starsharks on it taken in the 70's, 80's or 90's.

Imwould be happy to be proven wrong though.

In the 90's even most of the girls modelling in import magazines were minorities.

>"do my google for me."

Why not just ask, faggot.

LJ Garcias Civic was that goood shit

Google it if you want. You won't find any cars in America rocking star sharks back in the 70's, 80's or 90's.

One of the most famous cars of the time and it was built by a minority.

This kinda helps with the point I am trying to make. Thank you.

>Just go look into old footage of the import scene prior to fast and furious and you will realise it was dominated by minorities.
It still is.

Why are you too stupid to realize that all these companies were in Cali (magazines too). Which is full of spics and asians? Houston, Detroit, NY, Chicago, Colorado all had scenes just a big full of white people. There were also plenty of white people in the culture in Cali. You're an idiot who has to justify his brownness with lib logic. Rope your neck.

>5 dollars for a magazine nearly 20 years ago
Fucking what

Aside from the wheels I think it looks ok.

people would get hooked on Wangan Midnight, and everyone would want to become second smokey nagata.

maybe it would be better that way, and tuning scene wouldn't consist of kids with corny bodykits and all this "stage" cancer then.

It's got nothing to do with lib logic.

It has to do with reality.. To deny modern Japanese cars in the 90's were a minority thing is silly.

Would you try deny that the American lowrider scene is dominated by blacks and mexicans?

Also why do you think media and business focused on modern import cars was so heavily based in a place with lots of minorities?