Wine

So my brother is a big wine drinker and he explained to me some of the intricacies of wine.

There are specific places, soils, temperatures, climates, grapes, blends of grapes, etc., involved in wine-making. There are wines specifically made the way Napoleon, king [X], liked it. There are wines worth a month's wagecuck salary. There are wines there aren't even sold, but only given as gifts to important and rich people. There is a wine manufacturer that if the crop didn't come out exactly the way they wanted that year, they will not sell it that year. And so on and so forth.

When and why did wine making and consumption become so sophisticated and richfaggy? You could easily be as picky and specific with coffee, beer, chocolate and really any other food product... Were the Romans like this as well? How was wine in Medieval, Ancient and Biblical times? I've heard that in the Middle Ages they mixed water with wine.

General wine thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>You could easily be as picky and specific with coffee, beer, chocolate and really any other food product...
And people is.

No comparison.

Wine is ok, but does anyone else getting sick from drinking too much of it and not hungover? The sugar content must be through the roof

Anyway, in the west I suspect the earliest would be around the 16th century, with the Northern Renaissance, and the Mediterranean-oriented classicism that followed. The rise of French/Parisian culture as "cultured" society probably really helped. Roman and Greek wines likely tasted completely different, and that's before they water it down and added spices and honey; modern sommeliers would probably consider the average Roman Patrician an utter pleb in taste.

Wine is overrated, especially by fedora-type people who think it'll make them more classy.

How can you be so sure?
You just learn about wine from your brother!
Had he been a heavy beer drinker you would have make the same thread about beer hombrewing.

That reminds me, in the Wealth of Nations Adam Smith writes about wineries and vineyards, and that even in his time they were almost entirely owned by the wealthy as a leisure pursuit on their estates. He claimed that the demand for Wine was entirely met by these estates that were already mostly owned by people that were independently wealthy and not dependent on the profits

Wine was also associated with Mediterranean cultures during the European bronze age, plenty of wine drinking vessels have been found in Northern and central European burial sites in the period. Wine must have always been seen as foreign and associated with more cultured societies in these regions

in roman times it was nasty to drink wine alone. you mixed it with water or you were a barbarian

I can't be arsed to resume the entire thing, so read this mildly entertaining informative pophis book on the subject matter.
You can find it online pretty easily.

Friendly reminder that Jesus was not a drunkard and didn't turn water into wine. The word for wine in the Bible actually means grape juice.

there was a blind taste test done by professional wine tasters in the 50s and they could barely tell the difference between low mid level wine from California and high level finely aged French Bordeaux

there's a difference between wine you buy at the gas station and something you pay $50 a bottle for but everything beyond that is people making pretend

t. working class pleb that's sampled all kind of wine

p.s. burn the rich and eat their flesh

>there's a difference between wine you buy at the gas station and something you pay $50 a bottle for but everything beyond that is people making pretend
I believe this to be the case too. Expensive wines are just richfags signaling, and it's not even that good anyway. The same with clothes and everything else.

I don't believe you. There are some basic differences (soil type and barrel type) which you can make out easily with a bit of training. A lot of famous wines is just hype though, that is true.

There's a fancy champagne called veuve clicquot, worse thing I've ever had. Call me a pleb if you will, I'd rather have its worth in budweisers.

>There's a fancy champagne called veuve clicquot, worse thing I've ever had
sure, les gouts et les couleurs, etc
>I'd rather have its worth in budweisers
kys you pleb, litteraly drinking mass produced piss

Fucking lightweight you just drink some water before you sleep and you won't get a hang over

>Friendly reminder that Jesus was not a drunkard and didn't turn water into wine. The word for wine in the Bible actually means grape juice.

No it doesn't, it means wine. It is not even ambiguous. Nor would "grape juice" even make sense in context. People didn't drink barrels of fucking grape juice at wedding feasts.

realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html

Wine tasting has been consistently shown to be a fraud meme science the only thing they can distinguish is swill garbage and "decent" wine and even that they fuck up occasionally.

>there's a difference between wine you buy at the gas station and something you pay $50 a bottle for but everything beyond that is people making pretend

That's true but it hasn't always been. The state of the art has just advanced to the point where making the best possible wine (minus the placebo bullshit) isn't that expensive. So now everybody can have wine better than what kings drank in the old days, but the "luxury" tradition still exists. Maybe in a couple generations god tier wine will be $1/liter, but you can be sure "fancy" wine will still exist.

wine is the only thing that makes my vomit taste good

This. Similar studies have been repeated over the years, too. Blind testing always shows that wine tasters don't know what they're talking about and always let price influence them. The last study I read showed Trader Joe's wines consistently placed among the highest rated.

is reading that hard for you? I said it isn't being hung over, it's that Wine can make me feel ill while I drink it the same way I would from consuming candy, so I was guessing that it has a high sugar content