Why aren't you putting a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner in your car before every oil change?

Why aren't you putting a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner in your car before every oil change?

Other urls found in this thread:

crcindustries.com/products/gdi-ivd-174-intake-valve-cleaner-11-wt-oz-05319.html
crcindustries.com/gdi/
ericthecarguy.com/kunena/2-General-Discussion/56519-crc-gdi-intake-valve-cleaner-does-this-stuff-work
crcindustries.com/gdi/#yourcargdi
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>this saves the rotary

*actual results may vary
Tip Top Kekeroni

If Chevron already adds this to their fuel why would you need to add extra?

ChrisFix tested it in his car and was disappointed in its performance for cleaning anything other than fuel injectors. He used a borescope to look inside all six cylinders of the engine before and after and showed the visual results for the audience to decide.

ChrisFix even used the Techron additive at 4X the concentration to see if the stronger dose would shake the carbon loose. It did not.

The main active ingredient in Techcron is PEA detergent. Costco adds the most PEA of the major gasoline sellers (more than Chevron) at 5X the minimum amount required.

>PEA detergent.
Great for preventing deposit formation, but no chemical is good at removing baked-on carbon.

a redline a day keeps the mechanic away

How much does revving higher actually do?
I always people saying that doing so will burn off all the carbon, even for short periods of time.

>tfw pure gas and techron

I like chrisfix but that was a dumbass video. All he did was look at the cylinders. No one buys techron to clean their cylinders, they buy it clean out the fuel system. My car felt way better (more responsive, shakes less at idle) after using it

When I was getting my car tuned my tuner mentioned to only put shell/76 gas because others like chevron and such will throw off timing. Is Shell really the best I thought she'll and chevron are the two good ones

>but no chemical is good at removing baked-on carbon.
ChrisFix showed how to remove the baked on carbon on the piston heads with an over the counter additive. He removed the spark plugs, used a turkey baster to put in a thin layer of liquid over the piston head, and let it soak. He removed the liquid (to prevent risk of hydrolock even though there wasn't much liquid). After running the engine a short while, he rechecked using the borescope. Most of the carbon was gone. He was impressed with the product even though it did require more effort and had some risk if the owner didn't remove the liquid after soaking.

44k shill here.

Dank shit.

I already use top tier gasoline, so no need to buy bottles of diluted Techron. Since most cars are less than 15 years old, they probably use direct fuel injection. That means no fuel (and thus no detergent) gets onto the intake values. That means carbon deposits on the intake values are not cleaned by either Techron additive or by the top tier detergent gasoline.

chrisfix used seafoam to soak the piston heads

>Why aren't you
chrisfix showed techron didn't meet its claim.

>No one buys techron to clean their cylinders
yet chevron puts that as the first pictured reason that people buy it. chrisfix showed the product didn't meet the claimed performance.

Fine, nobody intelligent uses it to clean cylinders. Still useful for flushing the fuel system, which it does.

I don't think anyone has done conclusive experimentation on this but it makes sense if you think about it in terms of physics. The carbon deposits are unable to form because the enormous amount of heat prevents the carbon molecules from even condensing. Rather than cool down and condense into a residue, the molecules are more likely to transition into a gaseous phase.

Isn't seafoam mostly kerosene?

Because my vapemotor is direct inject so there's no fuel mixture spraying on the intake valves

Yeah, I definitely don't think it's boomer lore, I was just wonder how effective it actually is. Would be a pain right in the ass to test though.

Well it also comes from the good old Italian tune up, which actually was a thing.

I have also witnessed it work once with a Alfa 156 that was ran dry on fuel and developed a noisy injector and a few granny'd new diesels that had rough idles.

In those instances there is a long couple mile hill that the boss used to take the vehicles to and went flat out up about 3 times. Things came back running like clocks and subsequent testing proved the ailments cured. Though these were specific situations.

Seafoam is not some new tech concoction. It is a mixture of solvents from back in the 1950's. One of the ingredients is ethanol.

>before every oil change?
Techron existed before direct injectors. So back then it could be useful to clean intake valve deposits. With direct injectors, the need is a lot less. Simply using top tier gasoline would be good enough if you have DI.

>Simply using top tier gasoline would be good enough if you have DI.
Nope, the detergent never reaches the valves. That why customers are having to do walnut shell blasting.

>walnut shell blasting.
What's the typical price for something like this? I think my dealer just sprays something down the intake for the basic cleaning. It doesn't involve any cover removal.

(You) (you)
>Intake Valve Cleaning (direct injection)
>That why customers are having to do walnut shell blasting

CRC makes an intake valve cleaner aerosol spray for GDI engines (gasoline direct injection). It contains their proprietary cleaning mixture called Cozol. It is sprayed by inserting the spray tube past the MAF (mass air flow) sensor as it is not to be sprayed on the MAF. The CRC tech posted that it can be used at each oil change or every 10,000 miles. Spray it and enjoy the exhaust smoke!

Product Description:
crcindustries.com/products/gdi-ivd-174-intake-valve-cleaner-11-wt-oz-05319.html

Product Performance Test Data ($5 rebate):
crcindustries.com/gdi/

Forum commentary:
ericthecarguy.com/kunena/2-General-Discussion/56519-crc-gdi-intake-valve-cleaner-does-this-stuff-work

The aerosol can contains approximately:
35% LPG Long Post Guy (aka Liquified Petroleum.Gas)
25% Diesel Fuel No.2
15% light hydrotreated solvent
15% PEA
7% medium hydrotreated solvent
2% naphtha solvent
Trace of Naphthalene

Should be available at the autozone or o'reillys or walmart.com and have it free shipped to your local walmart retail store. The CRC website has a $5 rebate too.

I have direct injection.

(you)
>CRC intake valve cleaner
What was interesting is that CRC measured the amount of carbon deposits deposited on the valves of various cars tested. That's one way to get a guestimate of how much carbon gets onto DI cars' intake valves.

2008 VW Jetta GLI 2.0L I4 Turbo --> intake values all had more than 350mg of carbon. The worst valve had 620mg carbon.

2011 Hyundai Sonata --> worst valve had 600mg carbon deposits

2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6 non-turbo --> worst valve had 683mg carbon deposits

2013 Mini Cooper Countryman turbo 1.6L --> worst valve had 343mg carbon

It's too bad there aren't any measurements of carbon deposits for various years when a catch can is used.

>Since most cars are less than 15 years old, they probably use direct fuel injection

Ecoboost and Skyactiv are direct inject, how many other engines are? I don't think it's all that common yet.

>muh chrisfix

top fucking kek Veeky Forums

No clue about chevron because we don't have those, but I can confirm shell has good gas.

>Ecoboost and Skyactiv are direct inject, how many other engines are?

BMW, Mercedes, and GM were the biggest fans of strict GDI (gasoline direction injection). Toyota and others wisely limited their use and are going to hybrid GDI that spray some fuel on the intake passage and intake valves to clean them. A list of GDI vehicle models that have carbon problems in their intakes is at:

crcindustries.com/gdi/#yourcargdi

Pure carbon is never gaseous

The term "carbon" is used colloquially and doesn't mean pure carbon.

>put product in fuel tank
>product is injected into the cylinder
>product burns
>product never touches valves

nice shill m8

I am tho

>having a direct injection car
ISHIGGYDIGGY

b7 audi rs4 would be one, got to stem or walnut the heads routinely. some tuning company mocked up a single piggy back injector on the manifold as a cure but never heard much more of it

Now that you mention it, it's been a while since I checked my 13B's valves for carbon deposits. I think I'll do that tonight.

Are you using that bore scope from Harbor Freight?

>Why aren't you putting a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner in your car
It works for throttle body cars and ones that have separate injectors outside the intakes for each cylinder. But direct injection engines lost the main benefit which was to clean the intake valve of carbon buildup. The 2nd benefit of having the detergent fumes swirl on the piston and top of the head is also lost with direct injection. Thus cleaning of the insides is reduced a lot too with DI.

Because gumout is better

Because those people who can make use of it do NOT have direct injection engines.

same, i use walnut shells to clean the valves

How much does a walnut shell treatment cost? Can it be done only at dealerships? Or can it be done at a nationwide auto service chain similar to Bucky's?

Where do you go for walnet shell cleaning?

I put a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner in my car about a week ago. it really improved the throttle response but I honestly worry about it burning or corroding my fuel filter and having chunks of fuel filter in my fuel system

I recommend CRC IVC. I have a 2.4 ecotec that has DI. At 100k mile I started getting misfire codes. Put two cans of this stuff through and stopped getting misfires.

it didnt smoke for me.

There's no way it would be cheap at my Stealership. They add an "examination" fee in front of all repairs. It ranges from $170 to $320. It's a big money maker.