Performing a factory reset on your Chevy?

It doesn't unpair the MYCHEVROLET APP, yes you now have the perfect way to unlock and start a car from your phone, even if it isn't your car. Want a free shitbox? Rent a Chevy with mycheverlet capabilities and pair your phone to it, hand it back then just go and pick it up using your phone whenever you fancy. Sell your old Chevy and pop round to the new owner whenever you need to go for a spin. These cars could rapidly become insurance nightmares.

bbc.co.uk/news/business-40324983

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QUDwM99mNiM
techcrunch.com/2017/01/03/ford-and-toyota-team-up-to-launch-the-smartdevicelink-consortium/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How do you fuck up a security feature that badly? Putting too much money into losing Le Mans?

The idiots in Detroit (although the other carmakers aren't that much better) are absolute retards when it comes to computers. I cringed when they started putting internet-connected computers inside cars, allowing the internal car control units to be exposed to smartphones, etc.

Still waiting on this for Tesla

Tesla will probably give people full access to Autopilot via an iPhone app. I can just see that being cracked when all the passwords default to 1234 and every Tesla in Williamsburg suddenly setting off on a 200 mile one way trip in the middle of the night at 95mph.

>Still waiting on this for Tesla

Here's how to open the Tesla hood from the outside. Tesla hid the emergency hood release outside of the car in case the battery was dead or the electric release no longer worked due to an accident.

Safety response people are told to cut the special link under the Tesla hood to disconnect most of the car's systems from the battery pack.

cue butthurt poorfags coming in and talking how awesome it was to cut a rando's link

It can be limited to certain phones though. Or the first owner can set a master password. No other person will know that password.

Existing GM cars already have that concept with superuser (parent) access versus access by everyone else (child). The parent/owner can set a master password and enable a spy mode that reports on what the car's user is doing, where the car has gone, and even indicate if it has exceeded a reasonable speed limit.

it's not even meant to be cut, you just yank it out and the connector can be replaced.
More than likely the owner can call Tesla and get another one, so it's a minor inconvenience.

if it were me I'd pop the hood and throw some discount supermarket meat or something else potentially smelly and disgusting in there

it feels kinda wrong to see smartphone companion app for car. i think we might be heading in the wrong direction as humanity

>2020
>your car is now broken because droplet of rain fell in the wrong place and wet 64bit 14nm car cpu
>calmly driving around on the highway, suddenly car locks the brakes and almost kills you because you haven't updated firmware to newest version and there was a stupid exploit that allows this 8yo script kiddie from another car's passenger seat to take control over your car

It will become a system where you buy the car but need to pay a subscription service to maintain the security updates on it. If you are more than 3 months behind your insurance will be invalid and the car won't let you drive it and opening the hood will be banned under the DMCA, but you will still be able to buy assault rifles at the local 7-11.

>user why are you still driving a dumbcar?

>17" screen in the car? shiet user, how do you even see the road on it?
well, not like you need to see the road

Never look at the road, the road never hit anyone.

>It will become a system where you buy the car but need to pay a subscription service
The car manufacturers are working on a standard for car apps that will allow car buyers to purchase apps from the car makers and then annual subscription fees for them. The apps would run on the car's computer. It totally gets around android or iOS and keeps all the car's data, travel data, destinations, and usage in the hands of the car companies.

>17" screen in the car?
There are all kinds of technologies competing out there for surface space in future cars. It might not be a single 17-inch screen for that data. Instead, different types of data displays will be located in places to reduce risk of you taking your eyes off the road. Even in my older car, I have display screens in front of me, in the mirror, and of course the main touchscreen and the auxiliary display. Other less dynamic data appears only on the android app that I can install in a tablet or smartphone.

Time to nuke and pave
youtu.be/QUDwM99mNiM

>assault rifles at the local 7-11.
select fire weapons at the gas station? sign me up!

It's still true that a lot of Tesla owners are the asshole type of personality.

aaaaaaaand one firmware update later this will no longer be a problem.

>How do you fuck up a security feature that badly?
Various features already have password control. They will simply add password control to this feature as well. Changing it will require the password to be used again. And limits on the number of controller smartphones can also be implemented. It's not like they can't do it.

Heck, sometime in the next year, Samsung is probably going to send the "You Are Bricked" signal to the remainder of Galaxy 7 phones. That will force them and their bad batteries out of the ecosystem. While bricking a stolen or hacked car can be remotely done unilaterally by the car maker, chances are a software upgrade patch will be issued. Car owners will take their cars in for a patch so that dealers can manually examine the car computer for hacks when their device is plugged in.

Just be careful thieves don't find a scammy way to befriend you so that they can steal your car by linking their phone to your car.

Identity Theft is a bitch when it occurs to you.

>the owner can call Tesla and get another one
How much $$?

>it's not even meant to be cut
But the official tag put there by Tesla shows the cut symbol. Look at the official tesla tag in that picture again. You'll see the symbol of a bolt cutter being used to chop that bright red electric cable.

It will suck when you have to keep paying year after year subscription fees just to keep your car's software going. Sure, you bought the car, but without the software, it's not much good is it?

>my car has an app

I hate you.

>my car has an app
There just isn't yet a common system between all car manufacturers yet. Toyota and 2 others are working on one. I don't know if GM and Ford will join in, but I bet they will. In order for apps to run, they will need approval from the companies of course and pay some fees. There's also value from having the apps send data back to the companies for monetization. Another valuable aspect of apps running in a car is that if the car is parked in a plaza mall, it can conceivably be close enough to your synched up smartphone to track continuity of existence in that area. This is different from tracking location or communicating because continuity only guarantees that the cellphone was in that area (thus the data is not fake data from a different location). But once the phone is close to the car again, the car's app can pull the data from the synched app in the phone and obtain the more specific GPS path and times you spent in each specific shop. That is also worth monetization.

It's the IoT (Internet of Things). It's also good for surveillance and background security checks. That data is worth a lot in selling.

Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Suzuki, and others are onboard as well as some others. The purpose is to have developers able to write one app, not a bunch of custom ones for each make, that will then run on all cars using the SDL standard for apps created to run in a car environment.

techcrunch.com/2017/01/03/ford-and-toyota-team-up-to-launch-the-smartdevicelink-consortium/

The key thing is that SDL will not be a privately owned standard. Ford open-sourced SmartDeviceLink and donated the technology to the GENIVI Alliance.

quoted: “Neither Ford nor Toyota nor individual OEMs will have a controlling influence,” he added, and noted that the consortium itself is truly agnostic as to how OEMs build SDL into their cars and products.

So it won't be be Android or Apple apps that run in future cars. It will be SDL apps. GM already has its own proprietary app system in place.

>There just isn't yet a common system between all car manufacturers yet.
GM has its infrastructure and car lan spread out into so many cars now that it would be hard to abandon for a competitor's product. And the GM product seems to be working well even if it is clunky due to too much overhead.

I've seen how individual panels are separate devices in my car. On the central console are all the buttons for various things from A/C to on/off for the radio. When the system comes on and items go thru some sort of start, I see the LEDs for certain sections come on in order as they receive instructions to brighten or dim.

I've managed to create a few bugs by pressing some command functions mixed with voice commands. They are duplicable. So I don't know if GM will mature some more and fix the problems. It doesn't seem to release patches without a recall whereas BMW will release patches without a recall. So +1 for BMW and -1 for GM. A few times, the on/off button refused to work since the system locked up. All the panel controls were dead and even the control stalk was out. pReTtY ScArY but at least the brake pedal and steering wheel remained functional. Thank goodness they are on separate systems since the power steering seems to be electric (with the engine stopped by software command) I still had power steering on. Please GM, I don't want to sail off a cliff.

Can they really do that? Enter in all the data and VIN to the burner phone. Then convince you to start the car to see how it sounds? Then within the 5 second security time window tap the button on the phone app and it is now linked to the car without you knowing?