What's a fair price for an oil plus a filter change?

What's a fair price for an oil plus a filter change?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

filter 10€
oil 3 liters 30€

half an hour labour 60€

100-120€?

In real money, please.

About $40 and 30 minutes to do it yourself.

I paid 60, thanks, glad to know I didn't get jewed

Most dealers will do it + tire rotation for around $45-50

so about -$100

Since when are you getting paid to sit on your ass all day during the weekends?

5 qt jug Supertech = $11.44
FRAM oil filter = $4.57
Total cost = 16 + 1.36 tax = $17.36
Plus you get the benefit of not finding your drain plug not glued-in with epoxy on next change.

Walmart tire and oil service centers charge $49 for name brand synthetic oil changes in my part of the USA. You can specify a premium metal-mesh reinforced filter such as Fram Ultra to be substituted for the Fram Core filter that is default.

With sales tax, the final price was roughly $60 for Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic oil and the Fram Ultra oil filter. They also vacuumed the car. At JiffyLube, it would be about $112 for the same thing. That's a ripoff.

I don't go to independent places for full synthetic oil because those would use chinese synthetic oil bulk-shipped in 55 gallon drums. I don't trust chinese certifications that it is even full synthetic oil for automobiles.

$23.00 -- 5-quart jug full synthetic Valvoline
$8.67 -- premium oil filter
10% state sales tax (approx)
Free -- Pour used oil into older empty 5qt jug
$0.05 tap water to wash up and clean drain bucket, hands, tool

Jesus fucking christ, do people really pay that much for oil changes?
My local Honda dealership is $60 for oil and filter change, tire rotation, a basic inspection (they give me a nice little report card after), plus they vacuum my car.

unfortunately yeah
since my car is up to date with servicing ill keep it that way to retain resale value for the bmw badegewhores later

little place around the corner does it for 20$ flat. i have no idea how they stay in business. i think they just use the 20$ oil change to sell other stuff like brake jobs.

It's great because I usually go buy the shit on the clock, do the work at the yard, and then clock out. My boss doesn't give a fuck and it's almost like I got it for free.

>he fell for the FRAM meme

>What's a fair price for an oil plus a filter change?
If you go to walmart for their oil change, park your car outside the service center, then walk in and pretend to examine tires or batteries or accessories. But you are really scoping out the staff that is doing the oil changes.

If the staff person in the pit removing and tightening the oil drain plug and filter is an older guy or looks like a responsible guy, then you can get your oil change that day. If the staff looks like a bunch of youngsters supervised by some harried tired old guy, then that is not the day to get it changed there. Angsty youngster trainees aren't what you want to overtighten and strip your drain plug. Or they slap the plug back on at a slight angle and crossthread one or two of the threads before the plug seats properly. A few such crossthread occasions where you lose one or two threads each time and they all add up to a stripped plug opening once you lose most of the threads.

The other thing is you feel a sense of self-satisfaction after doing an oil change.

The place with the best prices for oil is walmart in the FIVE QUART plastic jugs. Individual quart bottles at walmart are not much cheaper than at other stores such as autozone. But the 5qt jugs of full synthetic are way cheaper at $23 to $25 each.

Walmart is able to charge only $49.99 for the full synthetic oil change because of its huge volume and use of oil changes to get the customer to shop at the store while the oil change is being done.

I don't like getting oil changes for a lower price from those other small places because it is going to be generic hydrocracked conventional oil being sold as synthetic oil. And that oil might very well be from china. Even accounting for the shipping of oil from China, they sell many barrels of synthetic car oil.

One local shop told me that the price walmart sells the 5 quart jugs of synthetic oil is less than that shop's wholesale price from their distributor. That's a bit sad. It must be hard for shops to stay in business unless they cut corners by buying chinese oil.

Free.
>buy oil and filter
>do the change
>return both to your local Walmart saying they weren't the right ones
>get money back

I paid $20 for an oil and filter change from Meineke with coupons.

It's much better than paying $200 for an oil and filter change with a shitty inspection and lube job that I got with my Mercedes-Benz before I lost it.

yeah wtf are people doing paying so much

i use the big O early bird 14.95 coupon every time i go

it works on all 3 of their oil changes (basically knocks 15 bucks off)

i go with the synthetic 5k miles one and its 30 bucks

>half an hour labour 60€
>120€ per hour for labour
you let your lawyer change your oil?

youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI

>what are stealership rates
It know it's ridiculous but brand-dealerships usually take 120€/h, free garages 80-100€. Cheapest place I could find quoted 85€ for an oilchange (incl. Oil, excl. Filter) and it's one of those chains that will try to sell new tires and rotors along with it.

It's terrible that businesses charge the same rate for commodity oil changes as they do for services that require vastly more special skills and tools such as engine rebuilds.

my car cost me oil + filter

$8.00

living that geo metro life

>oil + filter
>$8.00
?? What are you doing? Going to Jiffylube's trashcan and yanking out the used oil filter that fits your car? Then filtering out your used oil through a coffee filter, putting 2 quarts of new oil into your car and topping off with the remainder of the used oil?

>3 litres of oil

My 1.6 shitbox take 4.5. Do you drive a 0.9L Fiat?

this is bait right?

I work at a dealership I get bulk motor craft free and like 3 bucks on filters

dexos I get discounted too