Z32

What have you done with yours lately?

Not me but my buddy was going for the stock turbo automatic WHPrecord this weekend. Helped him finish up the auto trans install, tighten a few things etc etc. We needed time to tune it a bit more, but we were running late for the pulls. I think we hit 450whp? Something close to that, it was late I forget.

I sold it.

Nothing as I don't own one yet.

Polished my rocker covers so they look sick under my black plenum

Excuse dumb sideways pic

Wow it's straight this time.

I also saw my turbochargers for the first time when I was trying to fix my reverse light switch (I failed)

nice saturn bro

Lol what a dumb American thing to say. I'm glad we got to live through the golden age of jap imports and didn't have to deal with shitty badge engineered shitboxes like "saturns"

it's just chillin in my back yard, i'm trying to sell it for $1500
it's N/A

Real talk.

How reliable are they? I got a guy at my work that is willing to sell his 1995 300zx to me for $3k. Inside needs a little work and the outside is in good condition, but engine has 170k miles on it. I can swap in the turbo pretty easily, but if this car is known to have a lot of issues then I might steer clear.

NA, super realible if it's been taken care of. Generally if no one has done hte maintenance you need to fix the bushings (sub frame, suspension, and trans). And a 120k kit (SUPER important). BUT an NA will NEVER be fast unless you throw a 500 shot of nitrous in it. No matter what you do, it will be slow. A TT can be maintenance expensive. It was (todays equivalent) of a $100k car. But with proper oil changes, 120k kits, and fixing any little issues with GOOD parts, I've put over 40k miles on my 600whp one. They are good cars, if you have a little money. The problem is, most are beat to shit, then sold. Then the next person doesn't have any money so it gets worse, then someone buys it from that asshole and cry when it needs $7k in maintenance.

That reverse switch is a BITCH. You pretty much have to pull the trans. I've pulled so many at the shop we can pull it and replace it in a couple hours.

Also, the turbo swap isn't "pretty easy". It's a lot of shit to go from NA to Turbo. It's not 10/10 hard but it's not easy.

Thanks for the reply. The guy that I'm buying it from is a mechanic at the Subaru dealer I work for. He tells me mechanically it's solid and I've always wanted an older Z car and for the price it seems like it's too good to pass up. Although your comment about the TT having an expensive upkeep does worry me.
I would have access to a dealers workshop. Is it just hard to tune the turbo or is it just a bitch to put it in?

It's just a lot of shit. It's a drop in. But you need a new harness. The intercooler shit has to be done in the right order. You need the right ECU. You need the TT condensor (good luck finding a good used one). You need a TT bumper. TT exhaust. TT rear diff (not necessary, but gearing is different). Boost controller. Injectors. And various little shit. It's a lot of work. And at that point you might as well upgrade everything and do the 120/60k kit while the engine is out. It's expensive to get one up to snuff, but once it's good, it's good with general maintenance. But A cheap Z turbo can get CRAZY expensive. Think of it as a Nissan 911 turbo. I had an NA that I daily drove (I've owned about 10 Z's) and it was great, I just never worried about "power adders." It's all a waste of money. The fasest NA without nitrous (street legal) was still a high 13 second car with good tires. It just doesn't have anything left. The turbo though, can get to 500whp with a few grand and still be reliable.

>injectors
>e85 conversion
>nistune ecu
>exhaust
>turbo upgrade
>upgraded intercoolers
>boost controller
500whp, reliable.

Nice. E85? I want to stick with stock turbos and 91 octane on mine. 400whp with a fat torque curve would be perfect.

That's a sad looking Z. Too many are neglected into this state of existence
lately.

My other one is NA and has 240k+ miles. It's perfectly reliable, but has had all the proper maintenance done on time since purchased at 100k. A '95 will have the newer injectors so it's already 100x more reliable than older versions.

It takes dedication to own these things. Not everyone can handle it.

Rolled it

Message @hybridz32 if you want to know about boosting an na motor as opposed to doing a full swap. Thats what he did and he makes good power with it.

Well I need to pull it to do the main seal so I guess I may as well do that too

Mine is about 350-400whp according to the forums. It was tuned at 0.9 bar (13.5 psi?) on 98 octane in Japan and it's the fastest car I've ever been in. I don't really think I would want it much faster it would be too scary desu

I have almost everything in 's list except the e85 and the turbos so it shouldn't be hard to do. Oh and the nismo 740ccs.

Hey John.

Do you think Z32s are satisfied with the way their lives have gone? Owned by people with resources like Peter North in the 90s, now they're manhandled by Mexicans and poors who blow their engines and hand them off to others for sloppy seconds every year until the finally reach the trash heap.

Nothing. Previous owner already did all the mexicaning to it.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like as just a side car project this is doable. Thankfully I work with mechanics so if I get stuck I have some knowledgeable friends. I may back off the turbo install though, that might surpass my mechanics know how but it could be a nice learning experience.

Currently selling it to a friend of my brother.
Have the guy on a payment plan.

Haven't done anything to her recently. Next up I need to replace all the weatherstripping. Anyone know any less expensive suppliers than czp?

Find one being parted out

Changed the wipers. Probably change the air filters before taking it to smog then brakes will be needed a bit later.

There seem to be two types. Those owned by the people you described and those really clean examples stowed away in some 50 year old guy's garage. Not much in the middle. Unfortunately you only see the busted ones driving around these days.

Oooo a slick top?
I hate the brakes on these cars. Had to get stoptechs to feel confident in stopping. 11" rotors are simply too small for the car's weight.

really love the advans, what size are they?, i'm thinking of painting my second set silver when they arrive!
i have 2 sets of these in 18", here's a pic of mine
non z32 related but still

Brought new cams, cam gears, springs & retainers, thought fuck it and just brought a 4-2-1 header.
Annoying thing is it's guna take another two months before it's all done and dyno tuned, again.

17x9 +22

I want to get a TT in the coming year and I would like to know how difficult these are to work on. Like is the main problem just the cramped engine bay and it just takes time to take half the engine apart to get to something, or is it just that complicated?

Limited room in the engine bay along with expensive maintenance. If you find a TT in good condition, you're looking at paying anywhere from 8-10k. It's kind of rare to find a TT that isn't beat to hell and back. And if you find one that needs some work, make sure you take it to a mechanic and have it checked out first because when shit breaks on a TT it can get really expensive to fix.

You have a NA 4 cyl in a z32?