What's your stance on restomodding?

Other urls found in this thread:

speedhunters.com/2014/09/raging-heavyweight-pro-touring-camaro/
youtube.com/watch?v=rNsjQCBPUe0
speedhunters.com/2016/11/a-shoebox-ford-taken-to-new-levels/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

upskirt

I mean I'm all for keeping old cars on the road, but for me, period correct is the way to go.
I'm no purist, but 18in plus wheels on a car like this is absolutely haram.

If they're restoring cars that would otherwise end up getting junked, no harm done.

keep the chrome to a minimum

As long as they're stylistically consistent and don't waste valuable parts, I like them.

they can be pretty cool, sometimes they're over done imo

this reminds me why the Catholics burned heretics

Same shit as most car mods and '''customization''', money rarely equals taste. Some are done well, others like op related are gaudy trash but if someone likes it that's nice for them I guess.

don't hate

What a fucking abortion, I hope the next owner treats it right.

boomers wasting money

The best resto-mod vehicles are ones you don't know are resto-mods.

the way i see it, if its an american car
>no more than 16 inch wheels
>chrome on bumpers only
>period correct colors or factory color options
>no super modern engines (unless its like a track car or something)

agreed

>building a car to compete with is bad
fag

>>no more than 16 inch wheels
>>chrome on bumpers only
>>period correct colors or factory color options
so not a restomod then

what do you consider to be a restomod?

thats how id do it if i had a dilapidated american classic

As long as the upgrades improve performance and handling and don't go too over the top with stupid shit like rims or slamming, then it's fine.

What do you mean by restomod? If you daily an old car, you NEED to modify things as you repair them to live with the car. Technology back then was just shit compared to now.

Bumpers, chrome, colors and wheels do not change performance, so you don't have to bother with them to restomod something. There's way more work to be done under the skin of most of these cars.

Only exception would be wheel size, you usually need very wide wheels to compete in conefagging. Still, you don't have to get 20" wheels for that, which ruins the look of most of these restomod muscle cars. Pro Touring is fugly.

You might wanna see what restomod means versus what people think restomod means.

Most modern restomods are adding a whole bunch of random modern shit and donking it for no reason. Like what steampunk used to be versus what it represents now.

You're confusing restomod and Pro Touring. Most Pro Touring cars are restomods, but not all restomods are Pro Touring (thank god).

Most boomers have terrible taste, but the good news is the cars are better wheels and tires away from being pretty nice.
>widearch camaro with tubular k member, all kinds of reworked geometry, modern aluminum block engine
What's not to like?

>If you daily an old car, you NEED to modify things as you repair them to live with the car.

This is completely untrue and is living proof that you neither own a classic car. I daily drive a 50 year old heap and haven't used any parts that weren't available in 1967. it still has points and a mechanical fuel pump. You need to GTFO.

Pic related. 45 miles per gallon.

Done properly, it's just bringing an old vehicle up to spec with modern tech and fashions instead of being a MUH MASS PRODUCED ARTWORK boomer.

How it's usually done, it's just fixing up some rust and making a retarded lowrider/donk/drag car/cafe racer/chopper.

regular restoration is fucking lame

What is it I need to know and buy 10 of them

This thread makes me happy for the things I plan to do with the 65 Mustang I inherited from my grandad.
I'm going to piss so many people off, and enjoy the car I built. It's awesome.

Don't build it to piss people off, build it for you.

Looks kinda like a 600/750.

It's both tho.
It's what I want, which is a bit out of the norm, and I know other people are going to be enraged, especially boomers.
I've only got two things set for now that are apart from full restoration.
The pissing people off is a bonus, and this is a few years in the future when I have the space, money, and time.

fiat 850 sedan

stock cosmetics and THICC tyres > stupid promod style thinass wheel walls and big rims

i prefer it to a classic getting gutted and turned into a "pro street" car so some fat redneck can get on 1320video however the chrome wheels and low profile tyres look stupid imo.

>What's not to like?
OP's image is all fucked with edgy rectangular design features haphazardly slapped onto a classic. Also, wheels too big.

That orange Camaro? Wheels too big, and they went way too big with the arches. Also, that modern aluminium block engine is just another boring LS.

OP's image looks like shit, but the orange camaro is pretty tastefully done IMO. Larger wheels are needed to clear big brakes for heat dissipation, but he kept them in a fairly tasteful design and not full nig.
>boring LS
Oh sure let's just use something not light, proven to be reliable, or with any sort of aftermarket. But it won't be boring!
>arches
They fit the lines of the car well enough. Not full rocket bunny, actually reminds me a lot of Trans Am cars.

>Larger wheels are needed to clear big brakes for heat dissipation
Then why aren't they filling out the insdie of the wheels? Those 20'' wheels are just a stylistic choice - and a wrong one at that.

>Oh sure let's just use something not light, proven to be reliable, or with any sort of aftermarket.
There's plenty of proven, reliable and light options available. Sure, they won't have the aftermarket, but most Pro Touring cars don't use heavily modified examples either. Nothing you can't fix with money, which you need to have to make this tier of restomod.

>They fit the lines of the car well enough.
Your opinions are wrong and you should feel wrong. Instead of going overboard with the arches, they could have tubber it further to fit the same width wheel.

1. They're 18s and 2. The brakes in them are pretty damn big. The rest of the diameter comes to eliminate excess sidewall flex, as the car runs 315s on all four corners. You can't really tub the front, so you need to flare the fenders to keep the track width approximately even front to back.
>plenty of other engine options
Go ahead, name some. I'll wait.
Look over the while overview of the car while you're at it.
speedhunters.com/2014/09/raging-heavyweight-pro-touring-camaro/

>Your opinions are wrong and you should feel wrong.

>Says 20 inch wheels are just a stylistic choice "and wrong at that"

I don't even disagree with you, but jesus dude you sound like the typical Veeky Forums poster who's largest "mods" are bolt on and 100% cosmetic or useless under 60mph

I drive a 41 year old car every day. Congrats on your ugly shit bird doing well on fuel.

OH! so you needed to install pertronix because you can't do points or something? Your comment still makes no sense and the dick measuring by saying you drive a "41 year old truck" doesn't back up your claim of needing to modernize vehciles to keep them drive-able.

I don't drive a truck lel. Points are just garbage so I replaced them. Stock AM single speaker radio was garbage so I replaced it with a Bluetooth unit. Most of my modifications have been performance related so far so very little of the outlandish exterior stuff you see in this thread

>doesn't realize that his vehicle, in 1976 almost certainly came from the factory with electronic ignition.

What do you drive? My first car was a 77 nova. You kinda really took the bait there with the whole points still being used in 76.

Sorry. What I'm trying to say is it's OKAY to not know anything about your vehicle. You just shouldn't talk out of your ass if you really have no clue.

But my vehicle did have points from factory in 76? I think you may need to calm down.

>points werks fine son
>carbs werk fine son
>the slant six is a godengine son makes it to 100k without work!

Boomers and wannaboomers, I swear.

If you want a vehicle that's just "drivable" get a lada.

So what is it you drive then? The fact you can't answer that question really suggests you are just making shit up. The correct response would have been "Nice try faggot, (insert make and model here) still had points in 76" Now quick, go try to find a maker still using points that year.

I never said anything about thinking intake and exhaust ports belonging on the same side of the head.

I also still really feel like being a "wannaboomer" and thinking that 4 door cars are inherently worth less is better than being a hellaflush JDM faggot

>1. They're 18s and 2. The brakes in them are pretty damn big.
Looks like an inch or two worth of clearance to me. Could've used 16s or 17s.

>The rest of the diameter comes to eliminate excess sidewall flex,
Sidewall flex is a manufacturer-reinforced meme. Guess what more wheel and less rubber means? More unsprung weight, and more rotational inertia, and that's more important than sidewall flex. Pic related manages to fit better brakes behind a 13 inch wheel.

The only advantage of a bigger wheel is less sidewall, which is why manufacturers force the meme. Because of safety regulations, they need higher and higher beltlines, which requires bigger and bigger wheels to look good. Don't believe me? Put 15s on a new Merc or BMW. Unfortunately, bigger wheels means more and more unsprung weight and rotational inertia, which is more important to performance. Every. Single. F1 team. Objected when Pirelli tried to go to 18s. Because performance.

>Go ahead, name some. I'll wait.
3rd gen Hemi, D3, R5, SB2.2, any 427 SBF, maybe even a lowdeck aluminium BBC. I can understand the love for the LS, but it's getting stale.

The entire British Leyland lineup had points in 76, as did Subaru's compact car. I'm surprised any non sports car on 76 wasn't rocking points.

Interesting, but besides the point because anyone that thinks fiats are ugly sure as hell doesn't drive leyland and he still hasn't responded.

F1 cars also have next to no suspension travel and thus require large sidewalls to have more suspension, and are open wheel and have all sorts of aero wizardry, allowing for better cooling even with smaller disks. The extra inch or two allows for debris clearance at the trade-off of slightly more curb weight. The larger diameter also allows for more of a slight stretch to clear the fenders without going full stancefag, at the expense of slightly more unsprung weight as you mention.
>Mopar or Ford engines in a Camaro
>big block in a pony car where suspension geometry and weight distribution matters

>F1 cars also have next to no suspension travel and thus require large sidewalls to have more suspension,
Sounds similar to Pro Touring then.

>The extra inch or two allows for debris clearance
If you have debris on track, the track is doing something wrong.

It's not just ''slightly more'' curb weight or unsprung weight. It's significantly more, and could actually mean a 50-60% increase in rotational inertia. Unsprung weight is literally the devil when you're designing a racecar, and normies who want good looks with their dubz should GTFO, or stop pretending to have a proper racekar.

>Mopar or Ford engines in a Camaro
>Caring about sacred cows
Hell, I'd personally consider a Judd V8 instead.

>big block in a pony car where suspension geometry and weight distribution matters
A low deck won't touch the suspension pickup points, an aluminium block will weigh very little over a standard LS.

this style makes my pants tight. ima sucker for widebody+slicks

Neck yourselves immediately.

E
C
O
B
O
O
S
T

Would have been easier to just build a car from scratch.

Leno has had some good examples on
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UonisqLOnXo
youtube.com/watch?v=rNsjQCBPUe0

>it turns out I was wrong
It's ok, who's judging? It's an anonymous message board. It's literally impossible for me to judge you for being wrong.

It can be done right: speedhunters.com/2016/11/a-shoebox-ford-taken-to-new-levels/

>I have a great idea lets take a classic and make it a modern car.

Retards like you make me wonder about the future.

If you don't actively own, maintain and use a classic car I don't think you can criticise people making them more usable

I own two and am restoring a third.

I'd fucking love a Lada. Sadly there rare as shit and the "Amerilada" XJ jeep is still $600 for a running one.

It's fine if it follows the 'theme' of the car.

A 1st Gen mustangs with a 6 speed Coyote and modern brakes, along with original colors and body/wheels would be tasteful, especially if the leather and interior are redone in the same style.

The problem arises when someone sticks a twin turbo LS into it and then gives it 22" wheels, a body kit and chrome everything.

period correct modding is the way to go and restomodding is essentially taking a C7, slapping turbos on it and a fiberglass body of a '60s car.
except they murder the actual chassis and body for their shitty mods.
>making them more useable
>literally cutting the insides out of a classic and replacing everything with modern components that not only cost more than buy a new sports car while the thing is still btfo'd by modern sports cars
it's the most retarded fucking shit ever, fuck off

Anybody who installs Torq-Thrusts in a size larger than 16" should be slaughtered.

Dude still hasn't responded. Was he full of shit? He was full of shit.

please do post pics user
>old cars aren't reliable meme
go away with your fragmentation injectors and turbos, faglord.
what's fine is a 1st gen stang with a '80s 302 / 5mt swap, EFI installation and '80s turbine 15' wheels on phat drag radials with slight dechroming.
Trucks are an exception, user.

>shameless attention whoring
Why not?

>that Olds
>that Dodge
>that 'vair
FUCK
you absolute hero
is that a early 2nd gen firebird in the background?

Numbers matching all original never restored.
Same coat of paint that it rolled off the factory with .

Trucks are NOT an exception.

Also installation of 6-spoke Torq-Thrusts in any size should also be a slaughterable offense.

My brothers new 73 formula
Our family restores old cars, mostly pontiacs and corvairs.
>my 78 trans am i'm restoring

>implying 17' front 18' rear rims with phat tires arent an exception
nigga dont be a faggot I'm not talking about going full negro/boomer
I can't put into words how fucking jelly I am
treat her well
>tfw your dad had a lot of old murican cars but he sold them because he barely worked on them
sad.
I saw your cars in /ccg/ tho, very, very nice collection.

>Mfw turning this abomination of a thread into a namefag attention whore thread

One of the 3 1/2 70 GTO's

Thanks bro its one of the few things i'm proud of.

Well I think I have shit up this thread enough for now.

>A 1st Gen mustangs with a 6 speed Coyote

>1st gen Mustang with a Coyote
Hell no. A Coyote won't fit without going full Kar kraft on those shock towers. You're better off with a 427 SBF.

But I get your idea, and it's right.

nigga you don't be a faggot. you want gaudy oversize wheels on your call that's your call, just don't use Torq-Thrusts. They objectively look like shit at 17" and larger.

That's like saying you want to run 18" slot-mags. That would look like shit too. Or one of the Veeky Forums trips that runs 17" Watanabes on his 350Z. It's terribad.

>let's take a 60's mustang
>lower it and put nigger wheels on it
>and fill it with chrome

restomodding is good when done tastefully. but 95% of boomer restomods are nigger tier trash

>LITERALLY updating a car to be better
>ever not a good thing

>New car bodies keep getting more and more pigfat every year because muh safety
>Drivetrains are forced to become more and more powerful and efficient to feel even halfway sporty because muh emissions
"Restomodding" will soon be the ONLY way to get a performance car without spending $100k+ expect to see it become so much more common that it starts being called something different.

You're a faggot.
>Be 1950s
>Grab 1920s shitbox
>Throw in newer, better engine and bits
>HURR DURR STOP MODERNIZING CLASSICS

skinny tires on a classic is spic-tier
lowering a classic is spic-tier

I say this as a spic myself. Any restomodding should only be done 'under the hood', including dif, brakes, and suspension upgrades. But it's a classic, keep it looking like a classic.

I don't mind it when it's done tastefully, and done on a car that would otherwise never be restored anyways.
I just hate tacky Chip Foose looking shit like the OP.
I like only basic aesthetic modifications, like plain steel wheels, maybe a modest hood scoop and spoiler, stuff like that. Not chrome 20"s and metallic two-tone paint and shit.

>77 nova
sorry to hear it user

I like pro touring cars

I like it when it's done right. It also means another classic car that isn't going to be parted out or melted down.

If it makes the car safer and better to drive, I'm all for it.

its all shit

from Foose style to pro touring to modernized race car