How are they still in business?

How are they still in business?

Who goes to these places?

Other urls found in this thread:

nbclosangeles.com/news/local/You-Were-Robbed-NBC4-I-Team-Exposes-New-Tricks-and-Tactics-at-Jiffy-Lube-Stores-207304771.html
consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube.htm
angieslist.com/articles/beware-these-common-car-repair-scams.htm
consumerist.com/2009/02/14/jiffy-lube-pulls-dirty-filter-trick-on-unsuspecting-customer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because most people don't care to know and are more interested in the convenience.

Normies.

I found out shell owns jiffy lube. And given the massive fraud jiffy lube engaged in back in 2006, that puts shell on my shit list, too. Crazy how many companies exist merely because of ignorant people.

>How are they still in business?
They pick out good locations. So normies go to them. One jiffylube here is next door to costco. So people shop at costco while getting the oil/filter change.

I despise jiffylube. I usually inspect my air filter before I go. One time, the jiffylube guy says I needed a new air filter because mine was dirty. My nice Fram air filter really was dirty as he held it up to show me. But I knew it was perfectly clean and nearly new beforehand. He must have wiped the filter with an oily rag dipped in changed oil. I said no to getting a new filter. Afterwards, I went to walmart and bought a replacement for the one they ruined.

These jiffylube techs working for monthly sales bonuses suck. They are corrupt. Sure, they claim to not be on commission, but having monthly bonuses is basically the same thing just like at car dealerships that also claim no sales commissions. My stealership has monthly and quarterly sales targets, so it's no wonder their service writers try to decline warranty work to rewrite your problem as an out of warranty repair. That is worth more money in their monthly bonus.

My uncle went once he just wanted to get in an out and have an oil change before we went on a road trip. Well they fucking keep coming in saying "oh but your coolant could be flushed while you are here anyway" "oh your air filter isn't brand new want one for 30 dollars" "want to top up your ac" he winds up telling them fuck off leave me alone until my oil change is done
Honestly couldn't believe how high pressure they were. One of the mechanics left his radiator cap unscrewed so it would overheat and spray shit all under the hood. that was the last time myself or anyone in my family has ever gone to one. even though they are the closest option, by miles.
We were just trying to get a quick oil change before a road trip but it wound up being a soul draining experience that left us on the side of the road car all packed for vacation with smoke pouring out the hood

Fuck
This
Place

My jiffylube also tests car batteries and sells replacements.

*drops a few non-foaming antacid tablets into one cell*
"Hey user, your battery is weak. You need another!"

The problem with jiffylube techs sabotaging your car is the reward system they use. Jiffylube has franchisees. And some of these franchise owners are super greedy. So you get shops that will do what they did to your radiator. Or what they do to people's air filters in to convince them to buy a replacement.

Some techs will do anything to make more money. If the reward system rewards them for selling filters and radiator flushes, then the greediest techs will find ways to sabotage your car to make you buy it.

>see two gas stations
>shell
>bp
>shell is 2 cents cheaper
>fill up at bp anyway
>lol that showed them!!!111!!!!!11111

Except that BP / Arco is always vastly cheaper than Shell here.

Apartment losers who don't have space to work on their own cars. Most apartments forbid you from working on your car on their property.

That's what I hate most about those oil change places. They just don't change the oil, They. Fuck. With. Your. Car.

What really? Why?

They are tired of oil spills and greasy parts left around.

Valvoline is pretty similar but not nearly as scummy.
t. Valvoline employee
A good portion of our customers are people who are sick of jiffy lube fucking up their shit, but as its been said, the only people that come here are normies and cucks who just see cars as appliances and don't know how to check their own oil

To be somewhat fair to the landlords, used motor oil can fuck up asphalt in fairly short order, and if someone pisses coolant down the drains or gutters, that represents a liability if it's snitched on by some doo gooder envirowhacko.

I guess you could go Mexican and drive it out to the side of a public street and do it all there, but then the cops might start hassling you over it. There are garages that will rent you space by the hour, but those places are almost as expensive as just taking it to an oil change place.

But I've gotten burned enough by those places that if I was in a similar spot again (thank god I'm not) I'd get on Yelp or something like it and find an independent mechanic to do the oil change and not one of those chain shops. Because a mechanic with a decent reputation is more likely just to change the oil and leave everything else the fuck alone.

>snitched on by some doo gooder envirowhacko.
I know, right? How dare people care about a highly poisonous substance that costs an arm and a leg to clean up.

I go here cause I rent and cant change my oil/don't have a place to dispose of it. they are high pressure but how hard is it to say no? they fill the tires/windshield and an oil change for like 30 bucks in 10 minutes..fuck it

>Who goes to these places?
There's lots of people who don't have tools at home to change their oil. And the reason why they go to jiffylube instead of somewhere else is because jiffylube was around a long time and bought good locations with good visibility for their signage.

It's rare to see a jiffylube by itself. They are usually near a mall or other major store. The additional traffic from those places sees the jiffylube sign and they go get their oil change or eat at the restaurant next door.

>Most apartments forbid you from working on your car on their property.
That's because the environmental protection department for our county usually requires the property owner to pay for pollution cleaning of their property. If you're a homeowner, you know the headaches if people dump trash on your property. You have to pay to clean up the old rotten sofa or mattress they tossed onto your property. The same thing with hazardous waste.

True.

As previously said, normies. So many good looking buys have been turned down because I noticed a Jiffy Lube service sticker.

>There are garages that will rent you space by the hour, but those places are almost as expensive as just taking it to an oil change place.

Those places are hard to find. In my area, there are two good ones. Stews has a $15 rental rate for oil changes (30 minutes). It's a 4 point lift and they provide tools, disposal, one clean rag, washing sink, and advice.

What the rental garages are good for is getting your first lessons in maintaining your car. Instead of jacks and jack stands, the car is on a lift. That helps overcomes the initial fears a lot of first timers have.

>not having a motorcycle you bring in your living room to work on

>Riding your motorbike at 8am in January in 5F weather.

When I lived in apartment I worked on my car in parking lots/ dead end roads at night and nobody bothered me. Fuck jiffy lube.

>living outside the Deep South

>MFW I never went to a Jiffy Lube before because I've been blessed with a problemless oil change place in my town.
>MFW I'm reading this thread and had no idea of how terrible the place is.

Bullets dodged. Thanks m8s.
I despise anyone who fucks with people's cars.

That's what I call the Mexican Option. I've seen mexicans hoisting engines out on the street, dropping diffs out on the street. And around here the cops don't care. But it's not that way everywhere.

Most of the time they don't fuck with the car. They are there just for the job to pick up some experience before moving to a better job at a different auto shop. So they don't upsell unless the manager forces them to in order to have a positive letter of recommendation. After all, the manager's monthly bonus is on the line if any of his employees slack off on upselling.

Google the following:
jiffy lube air filter scam

I don't see anymore mentions of the scams in the past 2 years, so all the negative publicity on the scams must have forced jiffylube to put less pressure on upselling.

From what I've gathered on WIkipedia, the problem has actually gotten worse at Jiffy Lube, from 2003 to 2013. Leopards don't change their spots easily.

>I don't see anymore mentions of the scams in the past 2 years
They are more into threatening legal action for unproven accusations, so forums delete. My local Good Chevrolet dealership in Renton is like that. It scans the web and kills negative posts. It's a clever tactic since there is basically no proof unless a court case provides a verdict.

NBC Hidden Cameras catch Jiffylube:
nbclosangeles.com/news/local/You-Were-Robbed-NBC4-I-Team-Exposes-New-Tricks-and-Tactics-at-Jiffy-Lube-Stores-207304771.html

Plenty of Jiffylube scam complaints for 2017:
consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube.htm

angieslist.com/articles/beware-these-common-car-repair-scams.htm

Consumerist is related to Consumer Reports:
consumerist.com/2009/02/14/jiffy-lube-pulls-dirty-filter-trick-on-unsuspecting-customer/

Solution to pollution is dilution. If you spill a gallon of coolant just run 20 gals of water out a hose and it'll be fine

Tons of people use them. Every time I pass by a Jiffylube, their bays have a car in them.

Ha, plebs not owning a 40'x30' garage with a lift.

Where else do you store thousands of dollars of parts that you forget you have after a month or two, only to find them a year or two later and hate yourself for buying it because youve been sitting on an easy 2 grand in a single turbo set up you could have sold since you sold that car over a year ago and no longer need it

>Ha, plebs not owning a 40'x30' garage with a lift

I like how so many people here have practical suggestions. The ideas are mostly along the lines of "stop being poor and become a billionaire". So yeah, we should all get 40' x 30' garages (or bigger) for our cars. I better look into becoming a billionaire today!

Read the rest of his post, dumbfuck

Why does Jiffy Lube sound like it's a gay club? Who thought that was a good idea for a name?

I wish there was a business you could simply roll your car, lift it and work on it by yourself. Bring your own tools or rent them there. I'm an apartment cuck too and I have to drive to my dad's place to work in my car or risk a fine doing in the parking lot. A neighbour got a warning for topping the windshield washer fluid in the communal parking lot for fucks sake, they posted pictures on the entrance billboard with captions saying "REMINDER THAT WORKING IN CARS ON THE PARKING LOT IS ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED AND COULD RESULT IN A $500 FINE" on which you could clearly see he's just topping off the reservoir.

>I wish there was a business you could simply roll your car
Just google those rental garages in your area.

All these chains sound gay.

>not letting Hitler repair your car

I take my car to a Valvoline in town that I know they overcharge me for but they always seem to do quality work and don't try to oversell me too hard on the bullshit. it's worth it for the time and hassle of doing my own oil change seeing as I don't own many tools/a ramp/lift.

I went about half a year ago, was in a pinch and needed it done. Experience:

>my car had 94k miles
>in waiting room was myself and a young Asian girl
>tech comes in, calls her up to say she's ready
>tells her he found a hammer in her engine
>produces half rusted ball-peen hammer
>girls as that's probably what's been rattling over the last year
>she leaves
>tech comes back to say I'm done
>pay, little cheaper than usual garage
>they put a reminder sticker on my window saying to come back when my car hits 52k miles

Overall 7/10 experience, mostly because of hammer

my retarded friend who's dad bought him a beautiful 03 525i with 40k miles that was owned by an old lady to MR TIRE when his cooling system shit itself
;_; I cry everyteim

>Who thought that was a good idea for a name?
The easy to remember and catchy name wins out over something that is merely practical or accurate.

The two choices are...
>a company known for fucking over the people
>a company known for fucking up the planet

based BP

>based BP

>High quqlity bait

>fill up at bp anyway
>lol that showed them

>Solution to pollution is dilution.
That's what they say at Fukushima nuclear.
It's bad if all the pollution is in just one salmon.
But if it is spread out to a billion salmon, then it's okay as long as a person eats no more than one full salmon every 3 years.

>The two choices are...
With the final result of either choice

If jiffy lube and Mr lube didn't fuck up the industry so bad we would do a lot better.
t.another pro oil employee

>the problem has actually gotten worse at Jiffy Lube
Jiffylube has simply gotten better at forcing deletion of negative comments from public forums. The only ones that stand up to their lawyers are certain consumer complaint forums.

Wtf is mr tire?

He should have either fixed it himself or taken it to a good indy german auto mechanic

Saps like this are where the unreliability meme comes from

>tfw Jiffy Lube I worked at never actually did any of this shifty shit Jiffy Lube is known for but the stigma was still there.

>drive a well taken care of chevy coupe (camaro, monte carlo, etc) into a jiffy lube
>"wow user, this is a pretty nice car. v6?"
>yeah dont care just please help I came here because its supposed to be done in a jiffy
>"it looks brand new, wow. says here its only got 130k miles on it?"
>yup
>"Must be a great car. I used to have one of these supercharged"
>I'm sure you did. Can I get my oil changed now?
>He goes on about a story where his project car had a similar engine and yadayadayada
>it's literally just a basic General Motors 60° V6

Shell in Santa barbara is 1 dollar more than anything near a 1 mile radius...i think it is a money laundering place.

Same here. At a buck more per gallon, it's a tough call to say shell's additives are much better than buying three bottles of techron and pouring them in with each tankful of gas.

>I hate when someone is enthusiastic and shows an interest in my car.

It's called bullshit small talk to get chummy with the customer so they'll buy your $30 air filters.

As long as it isn't a mugger trying to get me to drop my guard, I have no problems talking to other people.

>I hate when someone is enthusiastic and shows an interest in my car.
If it's in the parking lot, I get nervous. I don't want them to key my car if I don't give them the chance to ask for money, so I use the excuse "sorry got to go, I am in a rush to get baby formula to feed the baby".

If it is the walmart parking lot, that gets dangerous because someone will distract you while the other person sneaks up behind. That lot has a lot of problems. I just came home an hour ago after picking up ice cream at the walmart. Yup, another car window broken in the lot. It keeps walmart cleaning crew busy sweeping up those squarish glass rocks the car windows break into when hit by a "window breaker tool".

Oil changes are so cheap by me might as well as just pay someone $40 to go sweat while I chat up the sexy clerk one of the dudes changing my oil is banging after business hours.

Take it from someone who actually works at Jiffy Lube. People go to these places because they're too impatient to take it to the dealer. Which funny enough, most of the problems Jiffy Lube has stems from the way it's corporately ran.

You are forced to sell, district managers will breathe sales down your throat. You are encouraged to find and upsell every little nitpicked thing wrong with a customer's vehicle. Store manager's bonus relies on how much they sell and what their tech's sell. Our oil changes are outrageously expensive in the first place ($90 for a fucking full synthetic, only for the first 5 quarts), district managers expect you to not notice competition around you and to stick to the sales price.

I can tell more if you want, I quit after 3 years on the job because how low my personal morale is been since working there.

They still have good franchises. Not all employees are dishonest about making money. In my opinion, it's the local franchise owners that give incentives to their employees to have dishonest upsells and side service sales.

>someone will distract you
That's why I won't interact with niggers or any other garbage, ever.

Did management even deal you in for all the extra stuff you had to flog to customers or was it "do it if you want to keep your dumbass job and be grateful you have one"