Have you ever owned a rare car, Veeky Forums?

Have you ever owned a rare car, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rRJC--lFPS8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have. MR2 SW20 Turbo.

Slightly more than 23k in North America if I remember right.

I've only ever seen one other than mine. It was a white one with a Kouki taillight conversion. I saw it when I was 14 and at 10 PM, so I didn't get a very good look at it.

*Slightly more than 23k made and sold in NA. There's less than 20k on the road now, probably somewhere around 15k.

I raise your Sony Xplod Focus with my turd brown Kona Focus that I had in high school. Miss that little car everyday.

I'm about to get one of these

RARE

1952 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Convertible

Nice!

What a beautiful car, user

Me and my dad are working on this 1987 Pontiac Mera. Got it from a friend of the family for $4,000. We got a bunch of interior shit to replace, but can easil sell for $15k+. only 88 were made

eh. 23k isnt THAT rare. They only made 30k MR2 Spyders

yes

Someone near me is selling one of these for $5k. Really considering it.

>2013 Focus sedan 5-speed MT with SYNC

Every other Focus in manual I've seen has the crappy stereo from the Fiesta with monochrome screens, or is automatic with either the SYNC non-touch or touch. Never seen a car in my same configuration. I think the original owner opted for the higher end stereo.

worth every penny

That's really not that rare. I had a friend who had an MR2 SW20 automatic imported from Japan. Auto models were never sold outside Japan, so that is what I'd call rare.

Yes, my 2013 F150 w/ the 6.2 (NOT a Raptor) is quite rare. Nobody really ordered the 6.2 in the regular F150 because of the horrible MPG and HUGE cost increase)

In fact, I just checked on cars.com and for the entirety of the United States, there's only TWO trucks for sale with my color and the 6.2 engine.

this isnt rare.

I have a BMW 335is (vert) in Le Mans Blue w/ Coral Red interior. Only 11 ever produced, if what I've read is true.

Not rare

I owned a Fiat Strada 130TC for a couple of years and it was a great car to drive, really responsive and engaging but getting parts for it was a complete pain in the arse - it was off the road for two months because I couldn't get hold of brake discs which were specific to that model only.

Yes my first car was a proton saga. Only 50 of them in New Zealand (none left in the U.K.) it was a good buy its just a 96 lancer with a different badge on it.

Do special editions of common cars count?

>not just swapping out the stock brakes and fitting in something else.

I can understand the appeal of keeping cars stock and purdy; but if it's a DD i'll jam whatever the car needs into place as long as it fits the mounts and is the same quality or better.

That said; if it had retarded dimensions and it could only take the pads it came with; i feel for you.

no

85 Corolla GTS. Best estimate I've seen for import numbers was 6000. Of those, I doubt 2k are left in any decent shape. Shitloads of sr5s though.

Yes, only 500 or so in my color/style/transmission

I have a 1/2500 limited edition focus, it has a dank color and a different bodykit on it. Looks like pic related.

I think my 71 hilux is p rare, only 1500 sold in the first year on the market

So why'd you get the 6.2?

Volvo 360 GLE S/R

19 left on the road in the uk, and this is the oldest one of them

>MR2
>Rare

kys

probably because he wanted to be a special snowflake.

If an appearance package makes a car rare
Then mine is rare

Those shitboxes are literally everywhere in malaysia

I have an old army jeep that's a 1/50, I don't know how many are left today, I've found evidence of just 6 while keeping an eye out for them over the past few years. Couple have been restored, couple more are in shit condition, I think I have the best looking unrestored model left of the few I have seen. Pretty rare I suppose when others are talking about 1/1000 or 1/5000.

>doesnt post any pics of the only somewhat rare car itt.

I saw a Sari edition Twingo for sale close to where I live for a couple hundred eurobucks. I should've taken it, I don't think the seller knew what they had.

>the only somewhat rare car itt
maybe you should learn to read

Why does your car have sideburns?

More manly

Manual Chevy ss

Holy fuck, idk where or how you would get parts for it. If only I had more disposable income

Yep.

Not really into trailer queens. Some people are though.

Im digging the "old gross urinal" look

I had a Celica All-Trac for a while, was a fun $1900 car

>$1900
>celica all trac

What state are you in?

Any rust?

Is it hard to find parts for it?

First car was a 190E 2.3-16 with a 5sp

I'm not sure how many were brought to the US but I've only seen one other and it was automatic so I assume it's rare

IL/IN, the dude selling it wanted like $3k for it but I was able to talk him down a little bit

Driver fender was rusty on the bottom by the door and the driver side skirt was broken but I was able to piece it back together with some fiberglass

yes

I traded it for a notchback fox mustang because I couldnt find a source for parts other than dead forums

It was ST185 swapped as well, if you're questioning the functionality of the scoop

>I traded it for a notchback fox mustang because I couldnt find a source for parts other than dead forums

god damn it that fucking blows.

I always wanted to import JDM ST165 since they are kinda cheap, but the fact that its hard to find parts kinda ruins it.

That seriously looks like a Dodge Challenger's son whose father does not recognize him as their son.

I have a white Integra GS-R, don't think they're common in leafland .

I think there was 4000 of these (88) and 3000 (87). Only made for those two years and I'm sure a lot of those didn't survive the years. I got it for a steal at 3500 in cash 7 years ago with 80k miles on it, now you can hardly find clean base model 944s for less than 5k with 120k+ miles.

Oh hey what's going on in this thread?

Sup fellow rustbelter, IN here

>focus with shitty subwoofer
>rare

I want an XR4Ti, but every single example I find is a rusted out POS. Shame, because they're really neat cars if you're into Cosworth heritage.

Suzuki Swift DOHC, can't find sales figures, but I have to assune they're not all that common. Parked next to a Geo Storm Hatchback which also seems pretty rare.

That is awesome. I've been eyeing IS300s for a while and have given up on finding a good sportcross.

They sell them as taxis don't they? Anyways it was a fucking awesome car, that I got for half the price of a lancer ($300). Ended up crashing into a goat after 3 years.

IS300 sport cross in Indiana get it the hell out of there my man.

I wish they made those in manual. I'd pay a premium price for one.

It was a stupid lucky find

That's the plan, soon. Hoping once I get the money to do a whole gte/5spd swap.

>IS300 sport cross
Holy shit that's awesome

We've never gotten a lexus wagon in aus.

Yeah, these things are EXTREMELY rare. Not sure why it's so cheap. Talked to the guy today and he said he's just had it since he got it back in the 90's. Has 120k on it, but I assume it's gotta share a platform with SOMETHING.

Sw20 Turbo automatic?
Or just SW20 auto? Because if you think that all North American SW20s were manual, I can assure you that is not true.

Kind of. There's supposedly only 1000 40th Anniversary edition RX-8s in North America or something.

I own an Audi a2, which is rare (doesnt mean its very valuable though)
>first major production car with a full aluminum chassis means rust can go fuck itself
>plus its super lightweight
>short gearing + low weight means you never feel underpowered in regular traffic
>only thing missing is a 6th gear for the autobahn because it really starts to scream in 5th at 160kmh, but that would be more weight

The JZX100 chaser tourer v isnt rare world wide but I have one of a handful in the US. At the time I got mine titled there were maybe 5 street driven jzx100s in the US. Now there are around 15 or so.

Funny how there are about six in my small city alone.

Tell me what it's like dding an RX-8, they're really cheap here because I assume no one knows how to take care of them, I'm so tempted desu

>F150
>Rare
Nobody cares about your unusual option list grandpa mcboomer. It is the most common car in the United States.

Not sure how rare it is, but our family used to own a 1987 Dodge Lancer, with a Turbo and a digital display. We since sold it, and I have been unable to find another one.

The RX8 is complete garbage. Not only is the renesis even less reliable than the FDs 13B, the car as whole has a lot of shitty design decisions that made the car feel like a shitty imitation. The RX8 alone tarnished the reputation of rotary engines.

Also MazdaRust™.

Pretty rare only due to the trim level.

It's pretty easy. The main thing I keep in mind is to wait about 6 minutes after I start it for the engine to heat up, before driving. Once I start driving, I make sure to redline it at least once before reaching my destination.

Other than that, it's just been regular maintenance; like oil changes no further than 3000 miles apart.

Since I dd mine, I don't really think about this one, but you also have to remember to drive it often; at least once a week.

I've had mine for a few years, and haven't had any problems out of it. Just normal wear like brake pads, fluids, tires, and air filters.

I assume it would be less easy if you got a shitty one or if you were retarded. Otherwise, it's pretty easy.

Yeah I have a super rare mustang with the 4.0

not rare

we got one of those from a girl scout camp, it was pretty nice, was going to be my first car

then my genius dad decided to clean the interior with dawn and a garden hose

I passed on that one.

I had an E30 325ix for a while. Great little bugger, but damn the thought of spending most of a grand and having to hunt down, say, a transfercase if I needed one really turned me off of it.

There's a beautiful imported iX wagon near me that I'm so very tempted to take out a loan for...

some kid bought it,

I saw it a few years ago with a lift and some superswampers

I ended up with pic related rare trim level, which met a tree in my dads hands

It's built on the GM R platform, so it shares parts with the Geo Storm and the Lotus Elan M100 (not even joking, the 80/90's were a strange time)

A friend of mine has a Turbo AWD version and he says parts wise it's okay, mostly because Isuzu is a giant recycling factory that likes to reuse parts for entirety.

are you that guy from /diy/ with the geodomes that thinks porsche 944 is worth anything

youtube.com/watch?v=rRJC--lFPS8

I own a second generation fiat uno turbo, probably rare in the US

Some guy over here in the Isle of Man has one. In white, and I weirdly like how it looks.

In a sea of blobcars, one made with lots of angles is nice

1989 Jeep MJ.
Don't fucking do it.

2004 S60R M66
1931 Made it to the US
446 with body kit
27 Black Sapphire Metallic
I guess it could be considered rare

I owned a Volvo 242 GT model in pretty bad condition once. Got it for 300, sold it for 1000. I loved it but man was it rusted out. Dropped it and grabbed a normal 242 that was mint.
ayy

>FPV F6 Typhoon
# 190 / 429

I loved how it looked, it was also the easiest fucking car in the world to panelbeat. The old toilet plunger trick just doesn't work with modern cars.

Simply rare by age
likely one of the last ones left in perfect rustless condition
read somewhere that of all the C10V there's less than 80 left in germany
fuck i need the proton hubcaps that had PROTON written across them
they are the best looking ones by far

I drove a 2000 Honda Insight for a couple of years, one of allegedly 396 sold in Canada.

It was weird, slow, and got 60mpg. It was also very well built, especially inside. Mine had common gearbox issues endemic to the Insight, like burnt out synchros (not really the synchro, it's a keyed part that wears out, but it acts and feels like a bad synchro) By the time I was finished with the car, I'd mastered rev-matching and double clutching.

It was a polarizing car stylistically, but I liked how it looked. My previous car had been an '86 CRX, so I thought it rode well enough and was quiet inside. Everyone else thought it rode terribly and was loud.

The only real downside to the car was the fact there's zero parts availability within Canada. Honda Canada essentially tells you to fuck off and talk to Honda USA if you're a Canadian Insight owner. Certain parts were simply unavailable or were there but insanely expensive (for what they were).

I ended up putting 110,000km on it before the dreaded Input Shaft bearing unexpectedly let go and took out a chunk of the gearbox. By that point it had 380K on it.

Overall, an interesting car that I enjoyed owning, even though it was kind of boring.

Does my '94 300ZX slicktop count? Out 80,000+ units made total, only about 2600 are slicktops in North America.

It's my project, so sorry it's in it's total shitbox form.

I do currently

17 Mini r53 JCWs registered with the checkmate kit.

Mine is possibly the last one left with the LSD, big brake package, JCW sound kit exhaust and suspension upgrade

Shit, that's a damn shame on both accounts.
Chop up all of the SE's and Sports, but leave the Wagoneers and Briarwoods for those who like 'em stock.

Also, your father needs to learn to drive, user.

Cott beach?

Please give me the story on how you came to own this. Always loved 1st and 2nd generation explorers. Born in 1991 my whole childhood everyone I knew seemed to have a 2nd gen explorer. These Saleens inteigue me but ya just aesthetic only? Suspension and engine different from stock?

Does an NSX count as rare?

Yes?