VW: Downsizing is Over

telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/age-engine-downsizing-says-volkswagen/

8.4L V10 hatchbacks when?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HCz7sHRrYI4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just because they arent going to downsize anymore it doesnt really mean that they are going to install v8's now

It's... a gift from God.

They've just been replaced by Honda. Everything is now a high-strung, fragile 1.5L turbo. Bet that'll go over well knowing their customer base that neglects cars as hard as possible, never changing the oil until the maintenance light caps out at -999, and definitely never doing any repairs more in depth than replacing the air filter, if at all.

I hate people.

Other companies are still on their way to ditch their V6 options for shitboxes in favor of a turbo i4 option.

>t. actually read the article

they basically said there's no point in going under 1.0l because of fuel efficiency so they will continue making small engines but won't continue trying to make them smaller. vee ates are still dead pham.

>news
Audi stated the same a year or two ago, they called it "right-sizing" when revealing that the new a4 will still have the 2.0l i4

>He says the popularity of diesel engines, which in some European countries take more than 50 per cent of the market, "has not been a customer choice, but a result of favourable tax regimes. Once you have a price advantage, people will play along", he says.

Absolute fucking bullshit.
>diesel is cheaper and more economic but it's actually because of taxes durrrrr

Friendly reminder that 1.8 and 1.9 A4's have been a thing since it's first generation in the 90's.

diesel is cheaper for yuropoors to lease because of the favorable tax regime

unless you do hypermiles the extra cost of a diesel car (~10% more) doesn't make sense.

Fuel is expensive as shit in Europe and diesels are seen as/are more economical.

The taxes thing is garbage, at-least in the UK. An early 2000's 2.5 A4 diesel is in the same tax category as a Ferrari Enzo.

In my experience, while polluting the environment and pissing everyone off with NOx fumes and your car sounding like a bus is fun, the repair costs of diesel isn't worth it.

such delightful bottoms.
would inject them all with sperm
and i'm a married man

Not in shithole Eastern European countries where diesel is only so popular because everyone drives 10-15 year old diesels bought used in Germany.

Its predecessor (the 80) even had 1.6l options.

Diesels may sound like shit and be terrible for urban air quality, but dat towing doe.

Americans need to go all the way up to school bus sized trucks with 13 mpg ship anchor petrols to finally find vehicles that can tow themselves.

VAG -

>we love diesels!
>get caught cheating on emissions
>we love gas!

This
>trusting VAG
>ever

This is great seeing as Germany is probably going to be the first country that outlaws fossil fuel cars anyway

>We love gas!

No, it's

>We love electricity!

VAG will be concentrating on hybrids and EVs going forward since they can't really market diesel anymore.

I wouldnt haul that combo. Tiny trailer,weight up high,and tow vehicle is a car. Pic is my school bus

And I would. American tow ratings are failproof and account for the driver being moronic in every possible way, but Europeans are generally trained quite well for towing. You need to take additional lessons if you want your combination to exceed a certain weight, also the permissible speeds for tow combinations are slightly lower than in the US so they don't have to compensate for as much instability with a bigger tow vehicle.

he's a yuro, don't try to use any logic with him

Thats a better car hauler trailer,sits lower. Does it have brakes? Of Course it should. DESU I rarely see a car towing in the US. Bigger wheelbase,footprint help with control. I like the aluminum trailers.

Of course it does, I think it's mandated by law above 750kg/1650lbs total trailer weight. Also the full trailer mustn't weigh more than the empty tow vehicle on a regular license here even if your tow rating is higher. Need the additional tow license to go higher.

i've seen that fucker. Way home from mantorp park?

Good pics, love seeing cars haul their own. Gas or diesel? What size hitch?

With deep regret it is that I have to tell you I don't know the backstory to every single photo on the internet.

Just give me a goddamn 3 litre straight 6 N/A or variable-vane tarbu and Im sending all my sheckels.
It appears though that Audi is going rather more electric+tarbopetrol, but hey, good enough for me. Low torks, high torks, no nasty diesel chemicals, glorious sound. Delicious. The future is bright.

youtu.be/HCz7sHRrYI4

Cars bought with towing in mind will usually be diesels because even though the petrols are usually rated for the same tow weight you'd need a considerably bigger (if even available) and more uneconomical petrol to achieve the same torque.

Don't know what you mean by hitch size. Maybe other areas of Europe or other vehicle classes use different systems, but the central European bumper dildos for cars are standardized at 50mm or ~2in ball diameter.

Bumper hitches on larger vehicles like Euro pickups and Land Rovers seem to look like this usually. Sturdier, height adjustable mount adapter, but still the same ball. These have the highest passenger vehicle ratings at 3500kg or ~7700lbs because it's the cutoff for a small trailering license. The big trailering license is basically equivalent to a semi truck license. Cars and midsize SUVs to up to 2500 kg or ~5500lbs towing. My Corolla equivalent with a diesel is rated for 1300 kg or ~2900lbs, never towed with it though because I don't have a hitch equipped and have gotten by with the trunk space and roof rails so far.

Yes that's what I wanted to know. Used to have some MkVIII I thought about putting a receiver on. I remember seeing those ball hitches in NL. TY

in straya for example there is a luxury car tax and it's higer for cars wil low mpg, so diesel cars which do more mpg pay less even thought they actually pollute more.
Same with registration etc and it's the same in yurop.

This. Gas is inferior to electric anyways.
This. 300 HP gas with 200 HP electric motor assists are the future.

Still not nearly as much torque as a turbodiesel of the same size. All these faggot tuned petrols can do is make a lot of noise and get pubescent boys to orgasm.

>saw an Audi the other day
>huge 2 LITER IS A SOFT DRINK, NOT AN ENGINE SIZE sticker on the side
>it was a 2.5 TDI

>muh torks
If you REALLY need torque, you should go diesel until electric gets their shit together and produces viable battery technology.

For everyday driving, even highway, 350Nm+ from a 2L turbopetrol is enough. That said, Im not at all for limiting anyone. If I had burgeristani gas prices, Id drive a 4 litre V8 minimum.

In other news Donald Trump is actually a contender to win the presidency

I want Diesels to die and never come back except in a trucc or a semi. I fucking hate the constant tractor drone and terrible smell in every town center because of TDI VWs.

Basically this. Diesel in europe is cheaper than gasoline, and diesel cars get more mileage.

Tax wise, I pay the same for a 1.9 tdi that for a 2.0 gasoline engine.

I'd actually say that, in countries that tax according to displacement, diesel was at a disadvantage until the introduction of turbocharging.
It was only the economy of operation (remember, we're talking about understressed boat anchors, slow and hard as rocks) and diesel predisposition to low-rev driving that made it popular.

>repair costs

What repair costs?

>modern diesels

Ohhhh...

are you talking about Honda or VW customers

Why not both?

Towing isn't just about pull, it's also about stop. Having enough pull, doesn't mean you'll be able to stop.

>So while the next generation Polo, due this year, will be offered with a diesel engine, Diess isn't as sure that its replacement will have an oil-burning option.
lol, it's a volkswagen motor. its going to burn oil regardless.