What are some examples of historical figures openly admitting they fucked up?

What are some examples of historical figures openly admitting they fucked up?

Other urls found in this thread:

cdc.gov/tuskegee/clintonp.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvNLTWNMM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

did you actually see fog of war, McNamara was more disturbed by that one vietnamese dude who burned himself on his lawn than the hundreds of thousands killed by the firebombing of japan

U.s. always says it fuckedd up. Vietnam, korea, ww2, both persian gulf wars, syria, mogadishu.

Usa is a masochist slut, whereas other nations say they never failed in history.

It was a white Quaker but yes. McNamara never admitted responsibility or blame for the course of the Vietnam War, he was more candid about the WWII firebombings because he was personally less culpable and therefore could blame larger systems at play. McNamara's inability to seriously confront his role in Vietnam is something that he never resolved before he died.

It was 1944, 100,00 was a meaningless number by then.

>muh k/d ratio
Was it autism?

American individuals say they fucked up, but I don't think the American state has ever officially apologized or admitted wrongdoing or fault in any of those cases.

The important thing is we were able to forgive ourselves

>U.S.

The public? Eventually, most do.
The government? Hell no.

Eh, occasionally it does...

cdc.gov/tuskegee/clintonp.htm

feels

it only admits it fucked up when it comes to their own citizens.

Kennedy in the Bay of Pigs

>Mcnamara wanted to lauch the nukes and said that the civilian deaths of New York would not be that bad since civilian deaths are natural of war
So was McNamara the good guy or the bad guy?

>NYC
no biggie desu

>"Yet Stalin talked about their acquaintances murdered during the thirties 'with the calm detachment of a historian, showing neither sorrow nor rage, just a light humour.' Once he wandered up to one of his marshals who had been arrested and released: 'I heard you were recently in confinement?'
>'Yes, Comrade Stalin, I was, but they figured out my case and released me. But how many good and remarkable people perished there.'

>'Yes,' mused Stalin thoughtfully, 'we've lost a lot of good and remarkable people.' Then he walked out of the room into the garden. The courtiers turned on the Marshal. 'What did you say to Comrade Stalin?' demanded Malenkov who always behaved like the school prefect. 'Why?' Then Stalin reappeared holding a bouquet of roses which he presented to the Marshal as a weird sort of apology."

>You ask about Yakov in particular, and that's referenced in the first two pages of the 40th chapter:

>"After the war, a Georgian confidant plucked up the courage to ask Stalin if the Paulus offer was a myth.

>"He 'hung his head,' answering 'in a sad, piercing voice': 'Not a myth ... just think how many sons ended in camps! Who would swap them for Paulus? Were they worse than Yakov? I had to refuse ... what would they have said of me, our millions of Party fathers, if having forgotten about them, I had agreed to swapping Yakov? No, I had no right ...' Then he again showed the struggle between the nervy, angry, tormented man within and the persona he had become: 'Otherwise I'd no longer be "Stalin."' He added: 'I so pitied Yasha!'"

From Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar, by Montefiore

>Japanese firebombings
>fucked up
Jesus, even McNamara stated otherwise in Fog of War. He quoted LeMay as saying they would all be tried as war criminals if they lost, but ultimately concluded that the bombings were more than justified. Either way, that "quote" is a fucking mess.

>I may have gone too far in a few places

Japs are literal animals and mcnamara was a faggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvNLTWNMM

It's time to invade

Some of the American Generals who charged the Japanese with war crimes want to bring the same precedents to charge Westmoreland with war crimes.

Why did the CIA have such a hate boner for communism and Castro?
America didn't change in the ideology war in the end so what does it matter.
How can you fail to kill a man after 600 times?

Is bush the kennedy of the 2000's?
He seems like his whole time serving as CiC is filled with such mystery and he just disappeared.
He gives off that aura that he's signed off on a ton of covert missions and the like.
Its really weird.

>Why did the CIA have such a hate boner for communism and Castro?
Cuba is only 90 miles off our coast, fool. Remember the Cuban missile crisis? All that matters is that Cuba was a potential base for Soviet operations and it was too close for comfort.

Bush historiography will be so fun once shit gets declassified.

My guess is that Bush really was a figurehead for Rove and Cheney, and had always been intended to be so.

Isn't that kinda obvious?

>ywn get freshly-picked flowers from Stalin