ITT: useless and obsolete tech still coming standard

ITT: useless and obsolete tech still coming standard

They only come with the most basic trim in most cars now. Mine only has usb and Bluetooth, no cd.

Mine has only CD, no AUX, USB or Blutooth.

And the headunit isn't standard sized.

analog speedometer
manual transmission
handbrake

>he doesn't still make mixtapes

I'm an Asian from Asia. What is a mixtape that you people always say about?

Bro your jokes are funny to 3 year olds.

>easier to read
>STILL faster than the equivalent auto...but manufacturers give you a street-oriented 5/6 speed and an 8 speed auto geared for track use as well as it is geared for MPGees, with no option for a track-geared sequential manual unless you buy a motorcycle
>essential for doriftos

lol wtf is your car from the 90s?

No, it's a Corolla from 2008.

So, that'd be a yes?

>manual is faster than automatic
>manual
>faster

CDs are my preferred format for buying music and I have still never used my headunit's CD player.

Yes. A good manual is faster.

Just not a shitty street gearbox because nobody seems to want to daily some race spec shit except for motorcyclists.

>a good manual is faster
its not the 80s anymore, bus rider

>lighter
>simpler
>changes gears just as fast, no clutch needed
yeah, i wonder why racers are using 6 speed sequential dogboxes instead of slushbox autos, BMW said their 10 speed slushbox was better for laptimes than their 5 speed synchromesh H pattern clunkbox, surely they would use those

but oh well
>the gearing itself matters more

I wonder why every super car has an automatic

If manuals were faster, im pretty sure they would use that

>backup cameras
>electronic stability control
>airbags
>crumple zones

Becasue supercars are mass produced shit for the mass market, not racecars.

They could easily be made faster, lighter, and better handling but then nobody would want to drive them to show off to their friends, abdul al sharif and wanaffi al gadaffi because they would be uncomfortable and they wouldn't know how to shift

My GF won't buy a car unless it has a CD player. She doesn't like to have to stream from her phone.

>changes gears just as fast
Absolutely false. Unless you're talking about an econobox garbage from 1995. Modern autos change gear faster than humans can, it's not even close dude.

Modern autos select gears faster than humans can, but it's almost never the right gear on the track given what the driver is doing with the throttle, steering, and brakes, which is why they still have a gear selector

The actual gear change and moment without power is matched by modern sequentials for half the weight.

I have a bunch of mix CD's from the early 2000's I'm not willing to part with so yeah I like having a CD player.

but

what comes on your car as part of the price: the modern auto or the dated stick
$10,000 (sans install) aftermarket option: the super kewl zeroshfit transmission

>buy miata
>the manual is faster because the auto is a six speed slushbox
>"but auto is faster when you buy a BMW with 31 speeds and a sealed for life three clutch transmission with more moving parts than a swiss watch factory"

ever wondered why automatic transmissions are BANNED in racing competitions?
because it is faster, reduces weight and eliminates human error in gear shifting.
True, they can be improved, but y'know.. capitalism.
they have to plant a flaw here and there and fix in the next version.
TCU takes care of that, better than a human in fact.

Probably because no matter how much slower they are, they're still faster than the worst driver?

Racing is supposed to be about skill. A technology that lets you get okay laptimes when you would have gotten horrible ones does not fly. It turns an interesting, fun sport into a bore where everyone gets third and two really amazing people get first and second.

>everyone who got third: "but our machines are better than humans! the fuck man!?"

Then rip them to a dap or your phone and use your aux you fucking Luddite

A luddit is a worker who is opposed to automation because he fears it may cost him his job, not someone who has yet to adopt the latest gizmo whether they need the added functionality or not.

I'm a manual enthusiast through and through but let me tell you kid you can not shift faster than a well built auto. I have a vehicle with a shift kitted 700R4 and fuck does it ever shift neck snappingly hard and fast. There's no way I'd ever be able to shift that fast in my manual cars.

But then my phone loses battery

>CD
>Obsolete
>sure just drain you phone/Ipod batteries when you don't even have to

I wish. My new car doesn't come with one... it's bullshit

CDs shit over everything else for sound quality.
You're not going to carry around lossless audio files on your phone

>This.

Having to go out and buy a new phone battery every time mine dies is a major pain in the ass

Idiot, buy 10 next time you run out that way you won't have to keep going to the store

Riddle me this, What fucking phone has a battery that you need to replace every time it dies

The kind that wears out if left on the charger for too long

I can't tell the difference between raw and 320mp3 through my car speakers, but for some reason most of the stuff on my phone sounds like absolute garbage when put through an aux cable to the car despite sounding just fine on its own (again, 320kbps mp3, sounds fine on the computer before putting it on the card, too).

That's why I never stream music from my phone, user.

Exactly what it sounds like. When audio cassette takes were standard, serious music junkies with disposable income, or garage band music mixers, would have these huge magnetic tape editing machines. They would record music at home, copy tracks off of popular tapes, and create remixes at home. These three types of music tracks were then transferred to blank music cassettes and given freely or sold for cheap to friends and lovers.
They're called mixtapes because they mix up tracks from disparate sources.

For a time, creating and giving a mix tape was shorthand for "let's fuck" or "road trip time."

My Zune HD still gets 10 hours non-stop playtime.

This just raises more questions

>implying music playback drains your battery
Nigga, it aint 2004 anymore wtf

Autofagics are not lighter than a conventional manual transmission. Not possible.

>having to change CDs manually
>if you're lucky, you get 6 that change themselves
or
>nearly limitless music in a solid state that is shufflable, all you have to do is press a button
I think I'll keep streaming Spotify from my phone, thanks. Battery isn't an issue anyway since there's these cool new things called 12v DC outlets you can plug a phone charger into now.

Combustion engines.

How do you get spotify to play without using your hands (ie "manually)?
Also, are you aware that listening to shuffled music instead of whole albums makes you a total pleb?

Are you aware that you are a huge faggot?

Respect the artist's vision.

It automatically starts playing a second or two after I turn the engine on.

I can also listen to full albums if I desire. Most car stereos can't shuffle a CD if that's what you're feeling that day.

manuals get so fucking annoying after a while, especially in city/traffic driving

>hurr durr I put a racing clutch in my STI even though I never track it and I live in LA

What questions?

Or you could, you know not modify the clutch at all and keep it stock leaving the vehicle still daily drive-able?

Dude you are delusional. I love manuals. But there is no person or manual that can shift as fast as modern double clutch transmissions.

Modern cars with double clutch shift faster but that makes them as enjoyable as riding a bus.

The most obsolete thing right now is CVT with fixed ratios.

>Racing with auto transmitió
>Car doesn't know if it wans to hold gear or go down at a curve
>It holds it, now the acceleration tanks
>Or
>Shifts down, now as the driver put ever so slightly pressure on the gas pedal the car starts spinning.

Manual or DCT transmitions are optimal for racing, automatic is trash because of the varying conditions at the track.

Not that guy but for the upteenth time, faster shifting =/= faster acceleration. Automatics that aren't DCTS impose more parasitic loss on the engine than do manuals meaning you put less power to the ground, this is how the automatic FRS/BRZ is over a second slower to 60 than the manual version despite "shifting faster". Of course automakers can mask this by giving the autobox a gearing advantage or gimping the manual with worse than optimal gear ratios but it still doesn't change the fact that manuals can put more power to the wheels. CVTs of course are even worse than traditional slush boxes in this department but I don't think anyone who frequents Veeky Forums will claim CVTs are "sporty" or "fun" in any way.

Maybe 20 years ago but automatics today change faster and more precisely than a human can do manually.

>why automatic transmissions are BANNED in racing competitions?

Because the damned things could shift right in the middle of a curve when you don't expect it. You spin out and kill yourself and maybe a few other drivers.

Poorfag
LMAO

manual transmissions

Literally this. Unless you have full control over the amount of power being delivered through the transmission and the shift points.

...Which would mean you're using a manual transmission.

Rockist faggot redditor.