/rlg/ - Roguelike general

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>PosChengBand is for autists
Also Caves of Quck

>Infra Arcana on Windows:
pastebin.com/S761eT4B

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/qw/morgue-qw-20170405-112044.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rotten, Slashed, Burned, Frozen overall Deceased Rogue:

Previous thread
OpAs of who?

First for Chei

GAOGAIGAR

>PosChengBand is for autists
>Also Caves of Quck

All roguelikes are for autists.

If you want to melee with Octopodes, then Dithmenos is by far the best choice.
Dith will easily allow you to tab through most of the game until you manage to find Statue Form. Then you switch for Mak and proceed to tab against everything.
I just prefer starting as a fighter for the shield, it helps a lot during the early game. Of course you can just find one, but then you are at the mercy of rng when you are at your weakest.
Anyways, just worship Dith and proceed to stab everything and anything.
It's rather simple really, with the ridiculous stealth boost and enemy accuracy penalty, you just have to tab and not get surrounded.
I have perfected the melee Octopode formula so if you have any questions just ask

Do you go for 15 runes? Why shields?

Also, do you switch to UC, or keep on stabbing? Dagger or rapier/quick blade?

>Do you go for 15 runes?
Yes. However, by that point I also spam Tornado and other spells to easily clear whatever extended trash there is. Tornado kinda trivializes about everything.
Because 'podes have average aptitudes in almost everything but stealth, raising skills is pretty easy, especially when you only need about 10-12 shortblades, ~10-15 Shield, high stealth but you have +4, ~10 Fighting, 12~ Dodging rest goes into spells.
You'll remain mostly melee/stabber until you find Statue Form, then you train Spellcasting/Transmutation/Earth to get it castable.
Be sure to learn Repel/Deflect Missiles. Regeneration is nice too.
Once you get SF castable, I recommend switching to Mak, as hp on kills is amazing and will let you easily complete ziggs and 15 runes. Dith's wrath is doable, the only dangerous part is Tzitzimitls (shadow fiends), so be sure to kill those fast by punching them in SF or just teleporting away.

After the basics, start dumping everything into Air magic if you find Tornado, or into Evocations for Disc of Storms.
This is to prepare you for Ziggurats if you want to find amazing rings to complete your collection. Fo ziggs you also want Necromutation, however just Mak and Tornado with SF is enough to clear the first zigg, hopefully you'll find the necronomicon there if you haven't found it before.

>Why shields?
Because Octopodes have trash defenses until Statue Form and just EV doesn't cut it, the shield adds another layer of defense which helps a lot during most of the game.
Between the shield and the Dith accuracy penalty you'll only take a few hits from the few enemies that avoid your stabs of doom, provided you don't let yourself get surrounded of course.

Depends on what you find. Any shortblade of venom/draining is a great find and will support you through most of 3 runes.
After you get SF castable, you can train UC and switch to unarmed combat when stealth fails if you wish.

The only roguelike I have played so far is DOOM roguelike, which i discovered in this thread and made me fall in love with this genre.

What is the next step? Im reading through the pastebin trying to decide on the next game to play.

Adom, DCSS and Caves of Quck are generally the entry level ones

I just downloaded infraarcana, gonna check it out and then check these you suggested.

Dith/oka/gozag

I didn't notice the old thread was dead so I'm attention whoring/crossposting/shitposting here too
That's a lie, I've 15 runed with Sif before and I suck
Go Sif so she'll give you Singulo
Worked for me

>there are actually goyims here who don't worship the one, true God until you forsake him during late/extended after you jewed him as much as you could
thanks mr gozag

I've had it drop in about 2 of my 12ish endgame scenarios, both by Sauron. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can pull the percentage out of their butts, but it's probably 1/6 or something chance to drop from him.

And if you really like to scum, Smeagol drops it 1/666 of the time!

rather than rings of power being more common than vanilla angband, it's just that PCB characters spend 10x as much time grindan' so they're more likely to see one

hell it's relatively common for highish xp-modifier races like HE to win before hitting level 50, and their 190% is LOWER than most of the popular PCB races

How much bullshit happens on a 666 chance in pcb?

if you roll 666 on a 1d888, death ray will instantly kill uniques
there's a 1 in 666 chance for a rune-sword to get *sharpness*
and i think a 1 in 66 chance to get sharpness or slay evil

>rune sword with *sharpness*
What are the odds for mana brand and vamp

>if you roll 666 on a 1d888, death ray will instantly kill uniques

So can you just
keep recall-spamming a death-ray spell using class and shoot the serpent owhen he's in LOS and then tele away
I mean it'd be an exercise in tedium but still

oh man i don't think i've ever seen a rune sword gain vamp after killing something, that one must be extremely rare

no because deathray still only affects living and J is nonliving

you could do it to oberon but it'd take way longer than just spamming darkness or nether storm which are in the same realm

There's a rune sword with Vampirism in the last thread

rune swords start with vamp
you dink

Oh yeah? Did it have permacurse as well? that property is about as rare as vamp is.

Is it better for a GrFi or GrGl early game to have lighter armor and let his natural AC make up for it? Or is it better to wear that plate mail and get really high AC but worse accuracy/speed (unless that's not how it works, really new to this game)

Do you only get brands after you kill uniques or can normal monsters give you brands as well?

Because 1/666 seems exceedingly rare, considering there's less than 300 uniques even in PCB-R

do whatever gives you the highest ac+ev combined

new players sometimes fall into the dumb trap of thinking they should either train dodging OR armour and ignore the other one entirely, but because of the way crawl skills increase in cost as they get higher level, it's much more effective to split your xp between two or three defensive skills rather than focusing on one

permacurse is much much much rarer than vamp you dingus

Also, remind me how a runesword works again
Is there a help file I can read about it

I remember it goes something like: If you kill monsters with higher level than the enchantment combined, plus the weapon's dice

So if I were to fight a horde of unmakers which are around level 80, I couldn't get a sword that's higher than 10d10 +30 +30

But brands only work when you kill a unique I think, but does it work against all uniques?

Can I get *sharpness* out of a lucky grip or farmer maggot kill?
Is the brand-acquisition tied to the level of the unique too?

actually it's rarer than that

you kill a unique and it compares 1d150 to the unique's level. if the monster level is higher, it ATTEMPTS to gain a brand
it picks a random brand from the list of possible ones and then it only has a chance to actually gain it (otherwise it gets no brand): the chance is as high as 1/6 for things like acelfico and as low as 1/666 for *sharp*

thank you, and raise STR right? To minimize armor penalties?

So what you're saying is that there's a 1 in 3 chance of getting *sharpness* on a rune sword

AC is way better than EV early game, although gargs already have good innate ac that makes up for it.
You should wear whatever you find that comes with a good enchantment provided it's not a fucking robe or animal skin.
So long as your AC is 20-30 you can easily do D1-15 and Lair, that AC is pretty easy to achieve with gargs.
Also note that you don't need a stupid high EV to actually dodge a lot of shit
Even around 15 will already have you dodge lots of ranged stuff
Once again, try to wear whatever armor you find that comes with a good enchantment, I'd rather use scrolls of enchant armor on gloves,boots,helmet,cloak first.
Ring mail, scale mail, chain mail are all fine.
Plate if it's a really good one. If you find a Crystal Plate there's no point in using it early unless it's highly enchanted.
Note that Dragon armor tends to have a lower EV/casting penalty.
If you want to have amazing gear just worship Gozag.

You don't need much STR unless wearing plate or crystal plate.
If you start as a fighter, the starting STR is more than enough, it's better to spend points in DEX as it has a nice synergy with EV and as I said even ~15-20 EV is already pretty nice

enchantment and dice are considered separately

tohit + todam + 15 is capped at (monster level)
damage dice * damage sides is capped at (monster level) as well

Played some DCSS back when, been playing DoomRL lately, this genre seems interesting but I really can't stomach non-tiles (hopefully for now, maybe I'll grow to like them) - any roguelikes with tiles anyone can recommend? Most of the entry level ones in the bin are non-tiles.

games with tiles are not real roguelikes

Can Weaponsmiths improve runeswords?

Games without them aren't real roguelikes either.
Unless you can name a single non-modal ASCII game.

weaponsmiths should be able to add 1 property to anything that isn't an artifact
they can't smith things that are currently equipped though so you'd have to add what you want BEFORE equipping the permacursed sword

I've never played PCB and am simply masturbating to numbers pls no bully

You know, it's crazy.
But farming unmakers in arena 79 really is a good idea since they're trash and they can't eat through permawalls, so you just get them in a 1x1 corridor and conga them and they give out a shitton of xp and good items too.

Also since they're level 77 they look like perfect targets for rune sword beefing!

Yesss
Yessssss

rekt

They have 50 AC and 400 HP
Their only ranged offense is breathing chaos for 60 damage (just get Rchaos)
They melee to disenchant, so just get Rdisenchant
These guys are chums

But it might be a problem since they destroy everything they land on so you could only farm artifacts out of them

Oh wait, they do 10d10 damage AND it also has that effect
So they basically can hit up to 400 per turn

Also they're nonliving so you don't get hp out of the vamp brand
Hmmm

and the blows with bonus effects like drain charges/mana/reduce stats aren't reduced by AC

Also they drain food

"drain charges" drains food instead if you are protected from charge draining

Oh that makes sense

Would you look at that, the unmaker is a level 77 breeder. The only other breeder that's over level 40 is the greater wall monster. Again, nonliving.
The only thing you can safely farm is the spawn of ubbo. And that's level 40.

Reminder: If you haven't beaten crawl, you can't say X game is harder, X game is better etc.

If you haven't beaten crawl how are you getting past the captcha?

Has qw beaten crawl yet

I'm sorry mr. hydra...

Nethack, idiot

In fact, qw recently 15 runed it.

>nethack
>nonmodal
Has statdeath been removed? If not, how are you not dead with that int?

crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/qw/morgue-qw-20170405-112044.txt

qw's a bot?

Can we create a mumo bot?

Are there any roguelikes with monsters that take up more than one tile?

Was that one of the robot assisted runs or was it a pure bot run

Nethack has long worms, IVAN and POWDER have 2x2 monsters.

FLEEEING

POWDER

Some tentacled monsters in DCSS, with the tentacles being the extra tiles.

Whoopsie, meant for I think it was pure bot. That's what elliptic said in crawl-dev, IIRC.

Incursions dragons and giants take up to 5x5, maybe more, dont quite remember.

is PCB-R okay for a beginner?

>pure bot 15 rune win
Hot fuck, I remember back when N78291 was experimenting with FeBe runs trying to improve the situation awareness of xw
Have you been paying attention to crawl playing lua-robots long enough to remember "FLEEEING!"?
That might have been xw. Where's N7 gone off to anyway?

When will bots start replacing crawldevs?

qw has a 15% winrate as DD, making it better than most crawl players

get this spoilery roguelite out of the premises

Why didn't you tell me nagas were so overpowered

>89 AC

how

It's actually 76.
The extra is from Cigotuvi's Embrace which makes it pretty easy to break 100 on Zigs.

>skilling UC and offensive magic
fault
if you go statue UC you skill UC to 27, you don't have enough xp to go "lol just get uc then start learning air magic"

>you don't have enough xp to go "lol just get uc then start learning air magic"
You don't have to skill UC to 27. Mid 10s is more than enough to clear 3 rune trash that you fail to stab. Also Octo air aptitude is average which means it increases pretty fast, not to mention rings of int, wizardry to help the casting/no armor penalty at all
And fuck, SF with even a fucking dagger will clear 3 rune trash with little to no worry assuming Mak.
Besides, Tornado is far more useful than punching.
And xp is literally free on ziggurats which you're bound to do as an Octopode to get bling, with Tornado demolishing everything there
What I do is just get a bit of UC then start with Air for Tornado since I always do ziggs before Zot/extended

Also I had no idea you could find fucking randarts on D1

that sounds like you're spreading yourself really thin, no wonder you do zigs before zot this is some hyper hybrid shit lad. if you've already got high stealth, sb, and tm just go full uc and oneshot draconians

Not really, user.
As I said getting UC to like 15 is very fast on an Octopode. You can just dump everything on Air magic and have Tornado ready for Zot/zigg/extended easily, sometimes even Depth depending on rings.
The reason I save Zot for last is because I can't be bothered to get mutated by the eventual orb of fire you don't stab, sometimes if I have enough cure mut pots I clear Zot besides the last floor and then zigg > extended.
I get that you'd be one shotting draconians with 27 UC but you also destroy them all at once with Tornado. which also has the advantage of letting you basically destroy anything in the game besides uh... Eresh when she uses silence. And the amazing synergy it has with Mak.

Because its early game is beyond terrible. Literally worse than mumo

especially now that you can find retarded shit like moccasin or double ogre on d:3, just straight stupid ood spawns will force consumables that you may not even have identified/available and you can only train stealth and hope you get the chance to walk away else you're fucked

Just spit poison, user.
Just go Gozag, user.
If you start as a fighter the shield helps a lot.
You just have to explore with some care starting from D:3.

Well that would be a death trap for about anyone that's not a Berserker or evoke feet race

>or evoke feet race
So everyone except Naga and Frogs

>So everyone except Naga and Frogs
Well, that would depend on where you saw them
>corner_ogre.gif
>energy_randomization.png
or fucking fast moccasins and killer bee packs on D3

>spit poison

it does jackshit to offset the terrible D:1 AC+EV of a naga

>spit poison
>msises
>misses
>barely hurts the rat

Eh it's only annoying on D3 against the same shit that's annoying to about everyone, orc priests and polearms gnolls, ogres or the ocasional ood shit
If you explore cautiously instead of auto for some of D3,4,5~ until you have enough weapon skill/hp to tab most shit away
I started as naga fighter with axes and just tabbed through most shit, D1&2 is cake
Nagas have average weapon aptitude so it increases pretty fast.
Then you jew away with Gozag and drown in overpowered gear.

What was the last good dcss version before they started cutting everything fun?

You're five versions too late

thank you mr. ufetubus

I've done it, /rlg/

I thought even elliptic hasnt won everything yet

literally who

>D:1 +0 Chain Mail of the King (+Invis, +rPois rC+ Stealth+)
>D:2 demonic guardian mutation, kills Sigmund by itself
>D:6 Cloak of Invis +1, Troll Armor (Slay+6) from Gozag
>D:7 +3 ring of slaying
>D:8: Wand of Heal Wounds
>Lair 1 (Labyrinth) +1 Boots (Slay+5), Trog Necklace, Hat of the Alchemist
What is going on
Also being +0 the troll leather armor is pretty crappy despite the regen and +6 slaying, right

No, he's just won every race and every class^Chei
Not every combo

>the hat of winning
Congrats