Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
Test drove both of these today and I really don't understand the hype for the Focus RS. Other than the fact that nitrous blue is an amazing paint color and that the exterior is more interesting overall, I was kind of disappointed.

In the RS the feeling of everything was a little more direct and the cornering did feel a little less, artificial? maybe. I felt like the VW was pushing me to hold a specific line more. Overall though the driving dynamic difference between them was so small and the VW was so much better in every other way possible.

Am I missing something or did everyone just fall for the hype with the RS?

It also probably didn't help that the dealership experience with the RS was predictably shit. I had to work to convince them to let me try it and even then it was a boring test drive mostly around town. Salesman at VW offered to let me take the R out and we brought it on some nice backroads and really put it through its paces.

The RS is overhyped and overpriced.
That said, it's performance is respectable.

RS is overhyped.
Golf R is in a totally different league quality wise. Living with the Golf R every day is much better. Also simple mods will make the R faster than the RS (Tune + Downpipe = 330awhp)

Personally, it is over hyped, but it looks far better than the Golf R or Type R, has very respectable performance, sound great, and are pretty tuneable (430tq/340whp, though I've read the Focus can only be front-wheel dyno'd due to the advanced rear differential and torque vectoring). I saw one tonight, and they are cool in person, but the gray blended in pretty well. To me, they are probably the closest thing to what I remember seeing an STi was like in 2004-2005.

Also I'm just not that into Volkswagen as a brand in general, I'd much rather (and do) have a hot hatch Ford than a GTI that is just as much a normie vehicle as a modern corolla or whatever. To your average person the R is just another Golf, the Focus stands out more.

It just depends what you want I guess. Sounds like you didn't really get to put the RS through it's paces on your test drive, perhaps call the dealership back and tell them your purchase is pending a more spirited test drive since you liked the Golf R a bit more.

The Golf is essentially a luxury car. Of course it will be a more comfortable car to live with. They've been making it for decades now. Little touches like felt padding for all the storage spaces make the difference. The suspension being more buttoned-down is to be expected.

Cars like the RS and the WRX are more rudimentary, less luxurious, while some might interpret that as more raw and therefore more fun, but if you value more comfort, you're gonna go for the VW every time.

Just remember to dump it on some unsuspecting poorfag after the warranty ends and repeat.

Sounds like you're actually looking for an STI.

I went through the exact same thing. Drove an RS and an R and ended up with an STI instead.

Maybe you will do the same. Maybe not, you can't go wrong with any of them.

people mention how the STI's engine is dated but the infinite amount of aftermarket makes up for it, they can be very reliable with alot of power when built correctly

Didn't you shill this same shit in a thread about the RS yesterday also? Anyone buying an STI with that fossil of an engine for that price is an idiot, you're better off getting a regular WRX now if you just have to have a Subaru until they update the STI's engine.

I drove both, then I drove the Mustang GT I have now and realized how much better a V8 is lol. Sorry, but it's the truuuuth.

Yes

It's actually "Swedish Racing Green"
*mic drop*

Not a hatchback. Subaru fucked up by getting rid of the hatch because for this price there are way better options if you don't care about cargo space.
As someone that currently owns a CTS-V, yeah, V8s are better. If you can't own 2 cars though hot hatches are the best mix of practical and fun and they don't come with V8s.

I get that. I own an Elantra for the winter, I live in Canada. I just enjoy my Mustang too much to have a hot hatch lol.

>golf

>luxury car

wew lad

just because VW has a lot more experience in building cars and likes to include thoughtful little touches doesn't make it a luxury car.

No doubt it's more refined than the other two but at the end of the day, it's a performance variant of an entry level hatchback, just like the RS and WRX STI. Putting leather or sound deadening in it doesn't make that fact any less true.

Whether or not you consider the Focus RS a fun car depends on what you're coming from and why you want the car. If you can only have one car then many of the best drivers cars are immediately crossed out because they have zero storage space, 2 seats, and get shit gas mileage. If you're shopping for a 2nd car purely for fun and you're looking around $40k, you'd have to be a retard to get an RS or Golf R, because at the end of they day they drive like pimped out economy cars because that's what they are. But, compared to other practical cars, they're incredible.

Compared to the RS and STI it feels like a luxury car though.

It's a downmarket Audi S3 (or the S3 is an upmarket Golf, you choose). Not exactly a luxury car, but definitely a bit more towards "premium".

>c30
Fake volvo.
*mic drop*

When you have traction,

It turns out awd is boring.

Very boring.

I hate subarus

Stop wasting money on your go fast fantasies and get a Corolla.

>I really don't understand the hype for the Focus RS
It's going to get better since it will be a chinese made car in 2019. Ford is moving Focus production to China and in 2019 the cars will be imported from China to be sold in the USA.

Trump can't stop Ford moving since he's been hobbled by the democrats trying to keep his administration busy with scandal accusations to do anything else.

>The Golf is essentially a luxury car.
No, you have diminished impoverished expectations of life.