Cars that should never have been made?

Veeky Forums, are there some cars that are just automotive abortions?

Pic-related, I think Chrysler fucked up with the Plymouth Prowler. They didn't have the money to develop 2 custom American cars that were so drastically different from everything else they made at the same time, and it shows. So much of the Prowler is good ideas done badly, or bad ideas done well, like the front wheels. Chrysler should've spent all the money they spent on the Prowler making the PT Cruiser a real luxury wagon.

What cars do you think should've been killed on the drawing board?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Howler
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go fuck yourself you piece of shit. I'm so sick of people shitting on the Prowler.

that looks like a longboy pt cruiser

>prowler
>fucked up
Nah, I think you did by making this thread.

>make car with hot rod inspired looks
>Cut some corners
>Give it a weak V6 with a 4 speed automatic
They could have gotten away with it if it was offered in higher performance trims as well.

It's a piece of shit badly executed. A v6? crappy 4 speed automatic?? It looked like a kit car and it was built in a factory. That is not good. The car was and is hot garbage.

They tried to fix it with the concept Plymouth Howler. They gave it a V8 and 5 speed manual. Too bad it never reached production
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Howler

What if they had killed some of their shitty generic cars and gone all in on PTs and Prowlers and other retro-inspired vehicles?

I bet the ride quality would still be shit. look at that YouTube video with Doug Demuro. There's no way to get decent suspension at an affordable price on a wheel arrangement like that.

Literally you

Aren't all PT's long-body?

I remember reading that a guy traded in an original Challenger T/A for a Prowler when it came out.

wasn't the V6 have slightly less hp than a V8?

The V6 is the meme complain
What really is the problem with the prowler is the horrible 4 speed auto, a 5 or 6 speed auto would be fine, a 5 speed manual would be ideal, but the long as fuck ratios of the 4 speed we got killed any fun this car might have had

>FCA makes the Prowler Hellcat
>707hp meme engine with 9 speed auto
>good suspension
>a bit more expensive than the charger/challenger hellcat

Would you buy it Veeky Forums?

It was badly executed becuase it was pretty much a concept car put into production.

Chrysler did it less for the money and more as an experiment to see how well they could produce an all aluminum body.

Chrysler was shit then and still is now but you at least have to admit it looked like nothing else on the road at the time.

I want to find whoever thought this piece of shit was a good idea then execute them slowly in front of their family

it's supposed to be a hot rod throwback, not exactly designed for comfort or livability

It's beautiful.

The BMW Isetta. It's a shitty car, people just buy it because muh BMW. It's literally just a West German Trabant.

Anything Subaru.

There's this station wagon from the 70s, I can't be bothered to remember what it's called, that's been jacked up like 6 inches and has "4 wheel drive". Like a botched-up Subaru wannabe. The fact that I hardly ever see them and when I do they're rotten out and beat to hell tells me that whoever made that failed at emulating Subaru. Pieces of shit.

>It's beautiful.
It's not and if you've ever driven one or ridden in one you'd know that every single one is a lemon

It should/would be much LESS expensive otherwise literally no one would buy it.

If you understood what Plymouth was going through you'd understand. Plymouth was gearing itself up to become an independent brand again, their entire lineup was rebadges. The Prowler and PT Cruiser were two concepts they made. Suddenly, Mercedes, who owned Chrysler at the time, announced they're axing Plymouth. The Prowler was rushed into production just for the sake of it. The PT Cruiser turned into a Chrysler but it was Plymouth's design. Chrysler hated the PT Cruiser under their name, it ruined any shimmer of luxury image they had left, but the damn thing was so good it was their best selling vehicle almost the whole time it was in production.

Slow it down butt stain. Your attitude is so Plymoth Prowler.

Thanks 2000 recession and 9/11

>A lemon
That doesn't make it an automotive abortion like the Prowler though.

Was it an AMC Scout?

Wait, the PT Cruiser was good? Everyone on Veeky Forums says it was shit.

I assume that user misspoke
It was good in terms of sales. Somehow, because it's a hateful piece of shit in every other way

But the PT Cruiser looks so beautiful.

For you and my grandma only.

Dream cruiser series 2 turbo 5speed only okay pt cruiser made.

Yes it's a decent car. They quickly became hand me downs and seconds hand really quick to poor people that don't maintain anything anyway and got the reputation of being bad.

>antenna sticks out of fender flare

Lol I tried a shorty antenna and got no tunes. Trust me I hate it too.

Why did american company made such horrid cars at the start of the millennia?

Chevy trying to copy Chrysler.

The Plymouth Prowler started the whole "retro-styling" craze of the early 2000s. It was parts bin engineering so that's what GM did too.

Anything that tries to be everything at once and ends up being nothing.

>It's a family car
No it's not because you tried too hard to make it fast which they're never going to use and now it's $60,000 base model

>It has the slightly faster engine in it so it's a sports car
No it has back seats for the family I don't have and is too heavy and also it's automatic to make it easier for the above and below

>It's a commuter car
With far too much in it to justify the price when you'll be driving it the same 10 miles every day and you struggle to get 20mpg due to weight

>It's a hatchback so you can carry a lot of stuff
Except I don't need to do that except once every year so now it's slow, less mpg. You know about these places where you can "rent a fucking trailer" so you don't have to constantly own a truck just for the one time you'd need it.

The correct answer to the problem of wife wanting a family car and husband wanting a fun sports car is not to make a shitty compromise between both. The correct answer is to tell them to fuck off because it can't be done. Now there are no more family cars, no more sports cars, just lots of "everything" nothings

Looks like I've got me a future project: Convert a Prowler into one of these

Just like that type chink car right?

that remembers me that boomer story from longpost guy. Anyone got the pdf?

Its not that it shouldn't have been made, it just should have stayed in Korea

>The correct answer to the problem of wife wanting a family car and husband wanting a fun sports car is not to make a shitty compromise between both. The correct answer is to tell them to fuck off because it can't be done. Now there are no more family cars, no more sports cars, just lots of "everything" nothings
succinctly put

no no, please let them keep on it.

I test drove one last summer, and I want one badly. The worse its rep, the better for me.
For what it is, the V6 is fine if you're over 5 inches. The auto sucks, but tolerable.

Problem is, they need bumper delete badly. And these cars really need to be kept 100% stock to retain their future value.

I bet people said the same about the FD2 Type R ten years ago.

To add, I agree with what you're saying though. As a distinction I think Type R versions should have been made in a coupe or hatch styles only.

How do you deal with fucking no headroom?

Put the top down?

How do you deal with not owning a unique car?

Nice bait

This

Wrong.

I'm a trap actually, but, I get it, memes.

Kek.

This guy gets it. I agree with you. Also, nice R33 dubs.

Eat shit OP. The prowler is overall not as fun as it should have been, but dammit is fucking cool to look at and drive around. Overall a nice car.

Its a meme car with the meme engine
It would be around the same price point as the other hellcats, just like the jeep hellcat FCA is making

Wasnt that in the movie 'The Island' ?

That was a sick movie

>automatic 4 speed only

This.

>no one has ever replaced the stock transmission of an automobile
>ever

>worth more stock
I would never consider buying one with the factory v6 and 4 speed auto. I might consider one with a veeate and 5 speed manual swapped in.

No sale < sale.

How much would it cost to swap a decent 5 or 6 speed manual into it?

Hey fuck you nigger, I drive a derivative of that