Car Keys

Why is this type of key going extinct? Push button starts are unnecessary.

Eh, I'm a switchblade key kinda guy myself.

Switchblade keys are alright, I was thinking of the ones that are just a small remote with a chip in it. No metal part that you insert.

>next generation of cars, even the cheapest econobox, will be push-button start standard
>millions of people will be locked out of their cars when their battery dies

The used car market in the ~10 years is going to suck so hard.

I still prefer my GM 2-key set, one for the doors&trunk, one for the ignition.

>panic

>next generation of cars, even the cheapest econobox, will be push-button start standard
Shit, didn't even think about that.

Why is this type of starter going extinct? Starter motors are unnecessary.

>buy a couple of batteries
>put them in the glovebox
wow this was really hard user

What good are batteries in your glovebox if you're locked out of your car?

Most cars with push button start have a key that slides/switchblades out of the fob, a traditional lock cylinder on the door, and a slot somewhere in the interior to put the dead key for exactly that reason.

Cars with smart entry have normal mechanical locks with key stashed inside the fob, retard. Battery is only crucial for button starter.

Except there's no way for most cars to start when your fancy $500 key kaputs

These things aren't analogous you mental midget

There's also no way for classical ignition cars to start if your key breaks.

Except for you know, the mechanical key in that fob

That's not how it works. My car is push button start and there is a switchblade key in the fob. Also once you get in the car you can insert it into a port in the glove box to start the car. So no battery required at all.

I'm not the retard who doesn't know about the hidden conventional key in fobs, but I just wonder why we bother with push button starters when we still put conventional ignitions in. Makes no sense

nu-tech

That's some serious stretch you've got there friend.

It's more convenient. If you have smart entry too, then you don't have to bother with the keyfob at all - just put it in your bag/pocket and forget.

It's convenient, keeps retards from cranking the starter when the engine is running or turning off the engine while on the highway, and is far less prone to wearing out and breaking since it's just a button and some basic solid state components

>no battery required for an electric starter motor

Re-read the post he was responding to

>starter motors are exclusive to push button start vehicles.
Wew lad

Maybe you should take your own advice.
>Also once you get in the car you can insert it into a port in the glove box to start the car. So no battery required at all.
>start the car
>no battery required at all

>keeps retards from cranking the starter when the engine is running or turning off the engine while on the highway
Things that never happen?

You would think so.

You dumb bus riding nigger all push to start cars have a key inside the remote that you can remove and insert into a lock cylinder to open the car.

People will pay more for things they think are expensive

I see what you did there.

It's so you don't have to take your keys out of your pockets to turn the car on.

Personally I wish they still kept ignition switches that you turn but would only do anything if the key was inside the car, but those probably cost more.

The idea of turning a key to start a car has now reached the point of it being unnecessary. With an automated computer controlled starter, turning a modern ignition is the same as pushing a button. Being less prone to mechanical failure and mechanical theft, keyless fobs are here to stay. My fob has a NFC chip in it also, so if the battery dies, I press it against the start button, and it will turn on, along with a standard key for unpowered entry. If the car battery dies, we will still need a way to access it, so I doubt keys will completely disappear. They will just have a more limited use.

I turned my car off on a secluded highway once to see what would happen.

>Bump start in 5th gear at 110km/h

I've done it once that I can remember. I was working (semi driver), normally turn my truck off during deliveries to save on fuel (don't get paid extra to fuel truck up, and had to go out of my way 15 minutes to do so)

Left truck running instead of shutting her down because it was cold as fuck out, and after not sleeping much for 3 days, once I got back in my truck and tried to start it, I sat there for about 15 seconds trying to figure out what the fuck was going on.

Not my proudest moment

push button is superior. All I do to unlock my car is pull the handle, no need to ever remove the fob from my pocket.

this is what I actually believe tho

desu I'm still buttflustered that streetbikes don't come with kickstarters anymore

>Live in London
>Very wealthy colleagues decides to buy M6 instead of R8
>Mkay, your choice
>Gets stolen (on camera) in ONE MINUTE
>Police investigate
>Used custom hardware and software to override keyless entry and keyless start
>Police say it happens a lot and only defense is old style key
>Irony that car firms invest hundreds of millions in tech defeated in less than 60 seconds

He had the BMW standard tracker, two aftermarket ones and the insurer specified tracker.

5 weeks later and still no sign of the car.

Neverthless, odds of a car company listening to us instead of blonde bimbo who wants keyless start as a gadget? Zero.

Because of the Tesla cars key fob

We are talking about keyless start not the engine itself retard.