FOXBODY VS SN95

Well Veeky Forums poorfag with a decision. Should I keep my 1997 Mustang GT (PI swapped heads and intake, EGR delete, Flowmasters) or trade it for a guys 1989 Mustang GT. Now i love Foxbodies as much as the next guy, but damn this 97 has been good to me. And yes, both are manuals. (Pic related, the 97)

The fox

Honestly it boils down to how you like the look. I prefer foxbodies over SN95's because I like how 80's retro styling is. Having OBDII is nice, but I've found the 5.0L a lot easier to take care of and fix as opposed to the 4.6L.

Did this person offer the trade?

If so, that is kinda sketchy and may imply that their fox has some expensive repairs that need done relatively soon.

My GT is probably making around 275 HP, the Fox has an e303 cam but that's all. The aftermarket for the 5.0 is huge though. So what i want to know is if im daily driving the car. Which do you guys think has the best potential for getting to work and back. While racing streetlight to streetlight occasionally?

Fuck no and that's coming from a fox body owner. Keep the car you're familiar with over the devil you don't know. There's not THAT much difference anyway. Fox has been going up in value lately but it's not enough to gamble on.

I offered the trade. He was asking 3,000 but i can't afford both vehicles. So I figured I'd see how interested he was and turns out hes very interested.

Sell it and buy a Cobra. Find them salvage title for around $5,000. It won't be as nice as an SS Camaro or a WS6 Trans Am, but they kept up with them and they haven't held their value as well as the GM line. In the end, you're getting something almost as good for half the price. A nice SS is usually about $10,000 and a WS6 is even more, because people love the aggressive body, even though the Camaro handles better on a track.

I wish. I was talking to a guy earlier who had a 96 cobra. He was interested, but i lost him at some point. Mechanically his car was amazing, but every panel on the inside and out was a different color. But hotdamn those DOHC are nice

>salvage title
Before I pull the retard claim, can you care to explain why the hell you would by a salvaged title car that isn't going to be used for parts?

Why downgrade?
T. Fox owner

OP here. So let's say I keep the car, well I need a diagnosis. So a tapping noise is coming from the drivers valve cover. Car is still making good power, but the sound increases in speed with rpm.i pulled the valve cover, checked everything out and it all seemed fine.i oiled up the cam and reassembled, still a noise. Could it be a stuck lifter? Or is there a possibility of something much worse?

Exhaust leaks also make the same type of sound, but I'm betting money it's just a stuck lifter.

That's what I'm hoping for. I have a friend at a shop and he recommended adding half a quart of ATF and drive another 100 miles, give a full oil change, and that ought to clear the sound if it's a lifter.

Foxbody owner:

Keep your car. You know what is wrong with it and what works, what doesn't. What has been replaced recently and what hasn't.

Foxes are nice, but you will have to start at square one again unless if it is in perfect condition. I would say the SN95s are even more reliable, without the looks of a foxbody. Otherwise same platform, albeit upgraded.

Fox tire size is pathetic unless if you upgrade to 5 lug or get larger 4 lug rims. Fox will be worth more money in the future, but is it worth it to give up a reliable daily driver for a project? At 25+ years old, stuff is going to be needing replacement ride after ride.

old fox owner

nope. I wouldn't do it again. Interior is just not good. At least my new edge was sorta comfy.

On top of the people telling you to keep your car (i am not a foxbody owner nor a former owner) i just think that the SN95 looks much better.

Fuck no, that foxbody has shoddy bodywork and a crap paint job.

>implying foxbody sport seats and that tilt wheel are not maximum comfy

Keep your gt and dont let the oil sludge up by being lazy.

Good choice on the PI heads, did you get the cams too?

Stick with what you have if its got no problems. Theres a lot of stuff to think about here. Like if you dont do hard launches, you know your rear end and clutch are good to go for a long time.

Transmission? If it always goes into gear (good syncros) and you havent goofed hard on powershifts, then that'll last forever. Not that the fox is any less reliable, but only you know how your car has been treated.

Both motors are reliable generally. The 4.6 2v had some years with intakr manifold cracks but got recalled. Theres stories of super high mileages with chain tensioners that get brittle. 5.0 is solid as well.

The 4.6 could be boosted 2v or 4v swapped, and given a built bottom end for a mean street build. But imo the sbf has more simplicity and even cheaper parts. If you just want a cammed stroker build, id go sbf.

Now on the flip side of what i was saying, if you have whining bearings in the rear end, clunky sounding ring and pinion, rear end leaks, weird feeling clutch from all the times you dropped it, syncros that are shot, and a sludged 200k+ motor, then trade immediately. Lol

My 97 doesn't have any issues at all minus the tapping sound I described earlier. I have some transfluid in the oil now and im gonna drive it and after about 100 miles I'll change the oil out and make sure it's fine. If the fluid doesn't clean the hopefully stuck lifter I dont know what else it could be. But like I said other than that the car is pretty much what I want. I do have the cams and the intake as well. So hopefully no cracking for me.

As a new edge driver, car is pretty comfy.

Can agree that both motors are generally reliable. Friend on mine sold off his 89 Foxbody with 250k on stock motor and trans. I have a 98 Crown Victoria with the 4.6L 2v and I'm at 189k same engine. Haven't had to replace timing chain tensioner yet but the only major things I had to replace on it were the water pump and alternator, other then that just normal oil changes, coolant changes, occasional cleaning EGR passages ect.

5.0L on the other hand is damn solid for an engine. Iron everything, can take a beating, metal intake ect.

the foxbody is one of the few cars i dislike
its shit, dont waste your money
/thread