Opinion? Im not a car guy, don't come here often. What do you guys think of the VW golf GTI...

Opinion? Im not a car guy, don't come here often. What do you guys think of the VW golf GTI? I think im falling in love with this sexy car

unreliable but comfy.
not terrible but worse than a focus st

Sexy? eeeh
Practical and not slow? I guess

I haven't had any problems with mine. Care to share your experiences? Just make sure if you get the DSG to take good care to get it serviced when needed. Supposed to be every 40k miles.

How? Lol, Ford focus ST is basically a copy of the GTI.. Might get a half second faster 0 to 60 time, but worse interior, and not nearly as friendly to mods. Both stock, its a toss up. But stage 1, GTI wins every time m8.

VW tech here; the engines are uber sensitive, parts are uber expensive, and the Ford focus and fiesta ST are better in most quantifiable ways.

I am a die-hard old school volkswagen person, but i can't really recommend one. If your boner is already set on one, don't buy anyone that's older than a 2013. They have timing chain issues that will cause the engine to jump time and bend all 16 valves. 2013 and newer ones have a revised tensioner that fixes the problem.

If your looking at an auto (DSG), it is critical they have the fluid changed every 40k, as indicated in the manual. They use wet clutches which deposit clutch material into the transmission, so if the fluid isn't serviced, they shift horribly.

That's about all the catastrophic stuff you have to worry about. But yeah. I'd really recommend a Ford product over it.

Damn, OP here. A lot of mention of the Ford focus. Cant get over the interior of the car though :/ not nearly as nice looking to me.

my experience was the dealer failing to fix the oil consumption, and a broken headlight adjuster just past warranty.

the problem was a turbo, which im not in financial position to upgrade.

>unreliable
buzzword

GTI's ARE oil hogs, usually cuts back at 20k miles. No clue why a car would be considered unreliable just because its a oil hog. Light issue sounds very simple. The turbo that comes with the MK7 is small, I doubt that had anything to do with your issues.

make a date with your mechanic.

Almost every single TSI I've seen uses oil to some degree. Turbo failures are common, but be aware that may not be the end of it. I've seen a lot of cars where the oil simply blows by the piston rings under load; they use low-friction piston rings that are on the knifes edge of sealing properly to begin with, and the factory now claims that break in isn't required; they fill it with synthetic and tell you to just drive it 10,000 miles. I can't help but think its related to the issue, personally.

A lot of Ford nerds here. IF you're gonna buy American, get something with Muscle. I like the GTI, very tune friendly. The focus is only better MARGINALLY if you plan to keep your car stock forever.

Test drove both recently, would get the GTI 0/10 times. It was a limp cuckwagon compared to hothatch BBC.

Ford fag detected. Lol, the amount of troll within this post is heinous. Enjoy your little grey plastic hot wheels car

Oil leaks on TSI's can cause them to run lean and mis-fire. So yeah, being an oil hog can literally mean the car is unreliable.

Oil leakage and oil hogging are two different things lol...

should add to this, when I was getting the post test drive spiel I was 'yeah, I just started looking so I'm not making a purchase next week, this is thet first one I drove' he guy asked what else was I going to test drive and when I said FoST his face sprung up from some paper work and literally said "no, don't do that"

He knew.

>your little grey plastic hot wheels car
This speaks volume about Vagwagon buyers. You think you're car is "adulty" or someshit. For one, it isn't, and two
>buying your car based off of what you think other people will think

I hear you OP, that's always been the biggest drawback for the Focus in general for me.

The GTI also has that understated exterior which helps divert potential attention you would otherwise get if you were zipping around at law-fringing speeds.

As others have said, keep up on maintenance and you should be rewarded well. Forgo maintenance though...

So the cars salesman wanted you to buy the car you test drove instead of something else?

he knew if I went there I wasn't coming back and he was right. He knew its a better car for a better value. When I said mazda 3 and impresa sport he had no reaction, when I said FoST he shit his pants

It's not what others will think, it's what you will think when you hop in a car made for 16 year old girls lol.

Sounds like a likely story. He was only worried when you mention ONE car in particular lol

>s others have said, keep up on maintenance and you should be rewarded well. Forgo maintenance though...
VW tech here. I obviously hate these cars, but basically this.

If your boner dies for one, that's fine. Just get a 2013+, and be RELIGIOUS about service.

I'm not a hot hatch guy myself, but Golf definitely looks more grown up than vape-Ford.

that's exactly the point. It was comical how he had a shitty poker face he didn't sweat at all when I said I wanted to test drive this, that...no reaction. I said focus st and it was instant "no, don't do that"

again, nothing more beta and balless than buying a car (or anyhting that costs 30k) based off of what you think others will think. You can have an S class people will still pick up on your virgin walk towards it

Virgin walk? Haven't heard that term before, the Ford Focus is a tampon. Only thing gayer is a Prius.

If you're buying it new, I'd do an oil change at 1000 miles as well. Volkswagen saying break-in doesn't exist is a bunch of horseshit.

Ford fags everywhere. Notice how the only ones who say nay to the gti drive it's copy the Ford Focus lol..

Its a thing. It's what people who want a fun car but pick the one that looks 'most adult' look like when they get out of it

Oh lol, sorry I like my car to look slightly nice. Like I said, enjoy your toy

>enjoy your toy
now you're starting to understand

Since when is Ford considered reliable? VW hasn't had a crips clean record, but Fords record is basically a half used piece of toilet paper

>do nearly all of these things

fucking shit user

Lol. I bet you play with fidget spinners too.

It's about what I think, not other people, my contrarian friend.
>beta
>ballless
This site is 18+. Please, leave.

People who want the ultimate fun hatchback get Golf R. Focus is a nice budget option for teenagers.

not op but what about base model golfs with a manual? how do they stack up in terms of not breaing down and being a constant problem?

lol if this judgmental 'lack of adultness' comment was a joke based on the subject matter of VW owners choosing their car based on what looks more mature very well played but I think that's giving you far too much credit.

would instead of alpha/beta would I sound more adult like if I used terms like type A or type B personality? Please tell me you aren't too retarded to realize that those are literally exactly the same thing

Guy, go back to whatever ford forum you came from. Nobody likes the focus st except for dudes who own it.

40k car vs 22. Comparing the two just lends credence to how good the latter is

What kind of Basic Gestalt can you give me about the MKV golf (2008)? Non-DSG autotragic transmission. I'm a big boy, I can handle bad news.

My gf has one. Mark 6, 45,000km, burning about a liter of oil per 3000km

>a car made for 16 year old girls lol
that doesn't even come in autotragic? Makes sense. Especially considering VW is literally one of the most girly brands on the market

>dude who cares what other people think lmao
>dude VWs are a "girly brand"
5/10 only because you got people to reply up until this point. Your trolling is hella transparent though, my dude

>oil leakage and the term I just made up are 2 different things lol...

>this autistic word salad
Are you having a stroke? Golf has a more reserved styling than ST/RS, that's all. Enjoy whatever car (bus) you like and stop being retarded.

What a great response

Honda Civic.

What's your idea of sexy then??

>the car that is objectively most widely known for the beetle
>the car that comes with a flower holder next to the steering wheel
>not girly
How can you even?

Hitler drove a VW, And anyways, a stock mk7 GTI with DSG will walk a stock ford fuckus ST.. Faster shifting. Your shitbox was Fords abortion.

Good info m8, cheers

when did ferd fags become this insufferable? This isn't an isolated incidence

Does it come in mens?

Yea, thats the only size it comes in..

>dude who cares what other people think about your car, buy what you want
>dude this car brand is girly lmao
Cognitive dissonance. Your mom must have drank when she was pregnant with you.

this is what you get for trying to shill volkswagen on a focus st circlejerk forum

I only said it because he said the fost is a car made me 16 year old girls, to point out how tht doesn't makes sense I said how can the car be made for girls if its not made in automatic, and btw VW makes beetles that come with flower holders so how can you call something else girly?

Not contradictory. I never said don't buy the GTi because VW is girly I said its a limp cuckwagon., wholly unrelated to anyone's perception it is entirely based off how it made me feel behind the wheel

But the fuckus is made for girls lol. Why do you keep bringing up the beetle? We're talking about the GTI.

holy shit are you guys rping to make VW guys look this stupidly pretentious?
>GTI looks mature
>ford looks girly
I'm not buying my car that I'll drive around daily for years and years to come based off of what I think normies who don't know anything about cars think about it...why would you ever do that?

>car that only comes in manual is made for girls

just get a v6 accord faggot.

You keep trying to justify your purchase of the fuckus to me. I don't need your justifications. sorry I prefer other cars to yours. Its also slow.

I've driven both (can you honestly say the same...)and I cannot comprehend someone enjoying the driving experience of a GTI more. When GTI owners start justifying buying a less-fun fun car because it looks more mature I have to inform them how much of a spineless person they have become. I like to think I have awoken at least one person, and if so, then all of the anonymous arguments were worth bringing one man out of his VW cuckshed

You keep saying that. Cool, but a GTI would smoke your ford. End of story.

And before you ask "how?" Lol, the ford is 300 Ib's heavier, with worse handling, never mind the fact that DSG will shift faster 100% of the time. Sorry you bought the ford meme.

autotragic drivers have no clue that shifting IS the fun part along with choosing what gear to shift into i.e. down-shift and pass, heel-toe break around a jug handle.

truly is tragic.

This thread is cancer. Has dudes trashing perfectly fine cars because of bias. The GTI is a fine car, doubt OP is around anymore anyways.

Yea, keep thinking that lol, children in Germany learn to drive manual, and could probably smoke the shit out of you anyday. Either way, DSG is still faster.

this. I don't get it for auto drivers, if you're at a red light at you wanna take off when it hits green, you literally just stomp your foot on the gas? even if your car has great acceleration that doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

3k civic.

I have a mk7 with dsg. Launch control is plenty fun, thanks!