Why are there no affordable small-displacement V8's?

Why are there no affordable small-displacement V8's?

because there aren't many in the first place so the novelty makes them valuable. My best guess desu

Every automaker has a 2.0L I4, doesn't that make the process of building a 4.0L V8 simpler? I'd love a Honda K40.

jews

really all there is to it

Because the "small displacement" V8's are large in physical size due to overhead cams. Want a small V8? Get a LS

As an engineering student I can talk to you all day about how that doesn't work.

Long story short just cuz you have a good power ratio X liter I4 doesn't mean that building a 2X liter V8 implies just doubling the amount of cylinders on that engine.

Remember I and V are different engine configurations. This requires everything under the hood to be moved around. Thus it is not the same.

A small-displacement V8 doesn't make much sense to build on a large scale because there are more moving parts and more internal friction to overcome. As displacement increases it starts to make more sense to start adding cylinders as opposed to making the cylinders bigger for other reasons such as engine balance, packaging constraints, etc.

How small counts as small? The Ford 4.6 is only 281cu which is pretty small in V8 terms.

It's also physically gigantic.

Increases smoothness and torque.

because the ls has huge displacement while being as compact and light as a japshit 4banger

Yeah but I like revving to 8000 instead of 6000

Even gen1 SBCs can rev to 10k reliably. I have a neighbor that has one

The M60B30 can be had quite cheap plus its a 3L v8 which is pretty cool.

You need to compare dyno graphs, not RPM numbers.
With the LS, power starts early, so you can get away with low gears in your final, and wider gearing because of its massive range of said power. You may get an advantage by not having to shift as much to stay in power.

Unless you literally are in it for the sound

tis better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all

Bread on neighbor.

NOOOOO
STOP
YOU CAN"T HAVE THE POWERFUL V8 ANNNNND REVS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEE

6300rmp is shitbox tier dude

because if you want an affordable V8 you can just get a LS crate motor

>6500

Who cares

The sound is pretty much it. Engines really start to sing around the 8.5/9k mark.

>anything less than v8 is shitbox tier
fixt

That's fine because they only put it in physically gigantic cars.

>Work truck tier gauge cluster in Cadillac V car

Why am I not surprised.

Displacement makes torque, not cylinder count.

Let's see you take it to redline

there are loads of automakers who have produced 3-4l V8s tho

Looks like you need gas user

Mainly because nobody wants small V8s. Consider all the Rover V8s, 3.5, 4.2, 4.6 liter. Now realize this engine is the same length, width and height as a small block chevy, which can _starts_ at 4.3L and can, with severe aftermarket work, hit 7.0L. And if you build the SBC all aluminum, you're at roughly the same weight.

Honestly SN95s are a lot smaller in person.
>clearly visible gauges, function over form
>HURR NOT FANCY ENOUGH

>only 7500

sad

true

/thread
Audi's """"compact"""" DOHC V8 is heavier, longer, wider and taller than an LS and is already at the limits of the block at a measly 4.2 liters.
Meanwhile the LS series came in capacities of up to 7 liters, and on top of that it's simpler and infinitely more reliable as a result. I don't even know how Audi managed to make something so inferior to what's essentially a truck engine that's been around for over 50 years.