I've never been one to be into modding cars and stuff but I think I am going through a quarter life crisis

I've never been one to be into modding cars and stuff but I think I am going through a quarter life crisis.

I drive a stock 2004 wrx and out of boredom I want to do a few mods.

what do you think of adding a cold air intake system and a turbo back exhaust? those are common mods I see come up. how would they change the feel of my car?

Would either of those affect reliability and if not, what brands etc would you recommend as I really don't know much about mods and stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FZCn3RAqUy0
youtube.com/watch?v=dorRQ0YM-0Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You need to add a hot air intake first, for when it's warm outside and the air is hot.

Hot air intakes actually increase mileage.
It's a common mod for hypermilers.

youtube.com/watch?v=FZCn3RAqUy0

Dont listen to these faggots.
Get some grippy tyres, tune the ecu to run 95, run 95 and remove the wastegate

If you get a turbo back exhaust you need to get a blinker fluid catch can as well. The high pressure will make the blinker fluid overflow into the engine. (Not needed if you had a bugeye wrx)

You need to tune the engine after any mod.

>intake
>exhaust

pleb tier trash upgrades that do very little to improve power
you'd be better off getting some high-end tires and good brake pads rather than adding 5-10hp via bolt ons.

if you want to get more power, add higher lift cams and tune the ecu, if possible.
I think Cobb have the required equipment to allow u to do that.

You need to decide what your end goals are. Downpipe and a tune does alot for these. But if you want to make big boy power you need to spend big boy money to build the engine.

This.

If OPs crisis runs deep though, look into even lighter, wider forged wheels as well.

Then I would look at reducing the flywheel weight as much as practical.

Fuck that shit.

OP you need to understand that Subarus have very fragile engines and are very sensitive to any tuning changes.
Even an exhaust or air filter will require a remap.

If you are serious about making more power an STI is the model you need as the stock parts are more better. But if you want more power (above 350hp) you'll need to put better components in the engine (not cams like the retard above suggested).

>Telling him to rebuild the engine

Yeah let's spend 10k on 400hp :)

Not my money

hmm. yeah I may start off with nicer tires and brake pads.

any certain brands or models?

So you reckon I'm better of starting with stuff relating more to handling and suspension? I guess for daily driving safety would a major bonus

desu I just want the exhaust for a nicer rumble. nothing obnoxious or too vapey. but yeah you know what I mean

would a catback exhaust be enough?

ProjectMu pads are like $200 a set, Type NS seem to be a good street level performance pad. They have all sorts for different applications.

As for tires, any premium high performance summer tires will be good and provide nice grip.

>Continental ExtremeContact $400 a set
>Michelin Pilot Sport 3 $700
>Potenza RE71-R $565 (very good dry grip)

all good options, with the latter being more of a track-based tire

Forgot to add, as for exhaust, yes a cat-back or even just a muffler is decent if you want to change the sound.
Personally, I'd always start with the handling as it's better than adding a few % of power.

youtube.com/watch?v=dorRQ0YM-0Y

This exhaust, plus the pads, tires, and stiffer roll bars for better handling, will put you less than $2000 down.

If you have more money to spend, then a full coilover upgrade will provide considerable improvement, albeit for a stiffer ride.

Buddy Club Racing Spec, HKS Hipermax, KW V2/V3, Feal 441, all good options in the suspension department.

>yes a cat-back or even just a muffler is decent if you want to change the sound.

do these need ecu tuning? would most places where will would get it installed have ecu tuning come with it?

Parts shops sell parts.
They don't care if it's right for you end goal or project etc.
They are going to sell you the product they stock. Its likey that if they can remap they sell you a generic flash tune sent to them via email by some guy with a laptop 1000 miles away.

Cobb and a Downpipe. done, go check out unabomber's manifesto on NASIOC

There's literally no reason to do a cold air intake on those cars. Lancers and WRXs a like. Installing one makes the engine run leaner due to the increased flow and will disrupt your timing potentially causing a misfire or something of the like because the ECU won't know how to correct. You likely will get a check engine light if you're not tuned for it. Even then it produces no noticeable gains

>turbo back exhaust
Nothing wrong with this in my opinion, as long as you do it right and don't make it insanely loud (ie straight piped). There are ok gains to be made with one as the factory system is surprisingly restrictive. You will need a retune though

Personally I'd recommend putting money into the brakes/suspension/wheels/tyres first. There's literally no reason to touch the engine with modifications outside of an AP or exhaust if you consider that a part of the engine

>Even an air filter will require a remap.
I'm inclined to disagree with you; if it's a drop in aftermarket the effects would be negligible. Out of curiosity I've read around on NASIOC and other sites and that's what the general consensus is. If you have a source proving otherwise I'd be interested in seeing it. If it's a cold air intake or a short ram, w/e you want to call it then definitely; it needs a retune.

a catback will not require a retune, but also won't do much aside from change the noise of the car. The only point you need to start considering a retune is when you mess with the 02 sensors or other engine components.

with brakes is it just the brake pads that are changed?

>Even an air filter will require a remap.
I'm inclined to disagree with you;
>Installing one makes the engine run leaner due to the increased flow

Fuck you talking about?

Turbo cars are the smog-era V8s of the current age. Improving airflow and increasing mechanical boost with an exhaust DOES let you get 50+ horses easy. Because the engine internals are already built with boost in mind, most stock turbo cars can safely handle this extra oomph without new pistons and rods. The main issue with adding power is your new limitations are everything else... axles, clutch, flywheel, fuel...

N/A cars are the cucked shit that cannot be modded easily or cheaply.

You can change the discs, calipers, brake lines, master cylinder, fluid, etc, but don't bother yourself with all that.
On the street all you need is pads, they provide the friction, and even with a weak caliper you can put in a race-spec pad so hard it'll grind down your discs in weeks.
It doesn't take long either so it won't cost much for labor, same with the exhaust.

>increasing mechanical boost
>with an exhaust
>50 horses

no chance

Also, the NA market WRX has cast pistons, which are weaker than the japanese 2L forged engine. Bolt ons are car dependent too, and rarely ever provide the gains of a good ECU tune for higher octane.

>Remove the wastegate

I can't begin to tell you how terrible an idea this is

Re build the engine with speed parts

>add better exhaust
>tune to take advantage of better airflow and boost potential

What part of this isn't 50+ horsepower exactly? A wrx already requires high octane fuel, there is no tuning it for higher unless you want your daily to require race gas, or you're running e85/dumping gallons of toluene or some other method of knock mitigation like methanol injection