/domg/ - Dominions General

Why do I have to make a new thread?-edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin (NEEDS UPDATING NERDS)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nábrók
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stale bread

Second for aboleth traps

So I hear ya nerds are getting BULLIED?

LMAO losers

i am not getting bullied, i am being attacked by 2 people at once that said "i can't win my game and i have no idea how to stop that guy who is sieging my capital, therefore i attack a random guy just for the fun of it".
that while being attacked by an AI and a player who thinks i am too uncontested to being left alone.

i guess afterall it is bullying.

LMAO NERD

Agartha, you there?
I would would be willing to trade the full amount of gems you have suggested.

Just say the word and we can do the trade this turn.

Mictlan has an A9 bless and not much else.

Yes, send me the gems.

Asphodel is eating mictlan.

Sending them over, don't forget your end of the bargain.

You have some earth gems for trade friend?

If is safe to have Dwarven Hammers and Copper Arms held by UW mages? Would those items rust and eventually disappear?

They're magical, they don't rust.

Copper wouldn't rust in water even if it wasn't magical, anyway.

How does copper oxydation work?

Hey /domg/, what is the best bless for tengu?

W9 for survival/attack power, S9 for survival, F9 for attack power.

Probably W9 is your best bet.

Dont think copper rusts

How do I deal with Kalaisa (Apsaras/Cleansing Water) as an undead nation?

Of course it does, you never used a copper pan before?

What is the difference between enfeeble and weaken?

Niefelbro, got your message.
I'm fine with you taking 49.
Would you mind compensating me for it ? I'm just asking for 51 gold, one turn of income from the province, since I didn't lose any soldiers taking the province. I'll leave it with 0 PD.

If I remember right, that only affects the very outside. While it will technically rust, copper doesn't experience the destructive rusting all the way through iron does.

I was actually talking about dominions logic, though, copper equipment in dominions doesn't rust underwater

Undead are actually a good counter to Asparas, because they ignore awe. Asparas without awe have to rely on their defense only.

Cleansing Water is a lot more annoying to deal with.Could you try positioning defensively and forcing the enemy to come to you? Cleansing Water is only range 25. If your enemy positions their mages near the back and their troops advance you could end up fighting outside their range.

>Undead are actually a good counter to Asparas, because they ignore awe
Well, mindless undead are.

Most undead are mindless, but I just realized you might be talking about Therodos whose spectres are not mindless.

How do I win games?

Luck mostly.

Sure thing.

Is that you, Lukas? Great taste in doujin

I'm Kailasa fighting an undead nation currently so hopefully you don't mean me,
but I don't have any Asparas so I think I'm good

But it depends on your undead, if you have skeleton hordes I would be more worried about an Earthquake trap, and would constantly move a unit in the magic phase ahead of your stacks to clear out traps.

If you have tougher Undead I would take anti mage blob counters as they can Light of the Northern Star some Yogis and spam AN on your precious high prot/hp guys.

Really depends on a lot of factors especially your research, but you could in theory divide your undead up and use some bait at first to tire out their Yakshinis a bit. A W3 minimum mage spamming a W2 -20 fatigue spell will be super hard to tire out unless you cast Rigor Mortis. Then move in some mindless undead to hit their asparas. Also undead archers/javelin throwers would make quick work of asparas with their low prot.

Roll your snow ball faster and further. Same as most strategy games I suppose, Star Craft, Civilization, chess, Risk...

Not always. Often its better to not be the clear leader.

Eh. If you can deflect to bats/undead/birds then you can snowball safely.

T. Nick

t. Malakal

This needs to be an item.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nábrók

I would agree more if Dom players weren't so fucking irrational. I'm not usually good enough to put myself in the lead, so I generally try to aim for that, and I'll worry about being deposed once I can make it to top dog.

After watching someone run away with a game countless times, I've decided that strength is power. The challenges of getting perfect information and playing your hand as well as you can are such that most players can't stop a good player in a strong position. Just look at what the fuck is happening in Fourth Turning.

I think you legitimately killed yourself in 4th with your obnoxious diplo

You mean Ur is about to win the game because people spent the first 50 turns pointing at, variously, bats, elves, and atlanteans?

That may be the case anyways, but I'm not elves.
Yes, this pretty much. Though Atlantis told me they only put Ur at 3-4 thrones. I don't think Atlantis would sell their main rival short.

but who are you then?

>I'm not usually good enough to put myself in the lead, so I generally try to aim for that, and I'll worry about being deposed once I can make it to top dog.
This is my winning strategy. Also why I advise finding an expansion strat that gets you 20 provinces or more year 1

>tfw easily the biggest in a game and have a good lategame plan
M-maybe I'll finally win one.

unfortunately, I have a plan to stop you.

Isn't that pretty much impossible with some nations? For example EA C'tis and LA Ulm.

who am I?

I was meming

Earth snake, maneater

Sauro

Ah, but I've been waiting for somebody to stop him and I have a plan to stop them and take the win!

Some nations really need a different kind of pretender to manage late game. LA Ulm absolutely needs blood and death on their pretender for instance.

New player here. What makes Earth Snake so special and how should one build him and why should one build him that way?

Arco. VH would have you believe that the Atlantis-Arco axis is too much for them, but if taking 5 provs was all it took for me to defeat them, they never had a chance. Also, Atlantis reports they haven't defeated any armies, only raiders and thugs, so VH is very much still alive.

>LA Ulm absolutely needs blood and death on their pretender for instance.
E4B3D3 maneater.

there's no way I'm going to win in Fast, I literally don't hold any thrones, I don't have a mobile pretender, nor recruitable H3, and my prophet is a scout

Oh man I totally forgot fast existed thanks to Lukas
22:31 GMT on Wednesday March 8th Hosting delayed by -24 hours.
20:47 GMT on Sunday March 12th Hosting delayed by 24 hours.
19:42 GMT on Wednesday March 15th Changed e-mail address for Marverni.
06:50 GMT on Friday March 17th Hosting delayed by 4 hours.
13:42 GMT on Saturday March 18th Hosting delayed by 24 hours.
18:16 GMT on Sunday March 19th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.
18:20 GMT on Wednesday March 22nd Hosting delayed by 6 hours.
00:47 GMT on Thursday March 23rd Hosting delayed by 72 hours.
16:01 GMT on Sunday March 26th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.
03:00 GMT on Wednesday March 29th Hosting delayed by 3 hours.
15:05 GMT on Thursday March 30th Hosting delayed by 8 hours.
15:38 GMT on Saturday April 1st Hosting delayed by 4 hours.
21:16 GMT on Thursday April 6th Hosting delayed by 24 hours.
02:03 GMT on Monday April 10th Hosting delayed by 24 hours.
05:33 GMT on Monday April 10th Hosting delayed by 24 hours.
00:31 GMT on Wednesday April 12th Hosting delayed by 24 hours.
14:39 GMT on Wednesday April 12th Hosting delayed by 144 hours.
22:02 GMT on Wednesday April 12th Changed e-mail address for Mictlan.
00:04 GMT on Thursday April 13th Hosting delayed by 144 hours.

>Hosting delayed by 144 hours.
Jesus Christ, find a sub if you need that long

You don't need to throne rush if you can just snowball. I definitely don't think you have it in the bag, though. Furries aren't far behind, and bats can never be counted out especially Sy.

post score graphs

You just give Erf Snek loads of E and make him awake maybe with dom9. He recuperates so does just fine.

My standard awakensake is dom5, e5 if I literally just want expansion and scales. If my nation has native earth, I'll take E6 for EBDW

LA Ulm doesn't have Maneater, they do have Earth Serpent though, it's not very good for them.

LA Ulm absolutely has Man-Eater, what are you talking about?

Hey guys I'm curious about a couple of global spells. Like mechanically. How does BoT and Foul air work? What conditions trigger their effect and what are the exact effects? I always hear about them being super powers, but I never can figure out how exactly they work.

Burden of time is more of a pain in the ass then a game winner.

Whens dominions5

Just a confirmation that the game won't end while there are players who want to keep playing.

Sorry for the ones who don't want to.

Buy the thrones/get people to give you their thrones.

No biggie, i'm going AI on all 3 of my malakals.

>bloodhunting with popkill 100
downright epic. youd be ebtter off with pic related than that

Burden of Time
Causes a small amount of unrest and popkill
Every month all units age a few years
Causes afflictions depending on age?
Maybe something else?

Foul Air
Any damage a unit takes inflicts disease

You use it as an awake expander and then a count summoner, retard. The poop kill is negligible. Maneater can actually expand in LA. Doggo dies like a bitch to any remotely difficult province.

>using pretender to bloodhunt

There's no need to be that rude to the differently abled, user.

So for BoT do we know if it's % popkill/month or a static number or a special secret recipe? Do we know how much each unit ages by? Same for all units or a static number or a ratio? Affliction is already dependent on old age, does BoT increase the likelihood or keep it the same?

For Foul air does preexisting afflictions affect disease chance? How about long range spells like seeking arrow? If seeking arrow doesn't kill a commander does it "inflict" disease triggering damage?

Thanks guys. I couldn't really find any specific details about these spells (goddamn illwinter you would think he could at least post some formulas).

Oh, Atlantis finally killed one army. I wasn't angry because it was an 'oh no, Atlantis is gonna kill' moment, but more because it was an 'oh no, you have to understand this is going to be a big stupid fight we both wind up losing because of'.

Hell, maybe I even beat Atlantis 40 turns after the game already ended because Ur (or even someone else like Kailasa) claims all the thrones - since Atlantis elected to fight one of the other big powers with the least thrones, himself being another big power with scant few thrones.

As for Arco, sum1won has been *very* careful in avoiding the horror spamming golem, so would be nice to have a good use for that. As an aside, I learned that pocket lich > dual wielding smashers in a golem fight.

No clue about any of the formulas.

For Foul Air I think all sources of damage inflict disease which includes stuff like seeking arrow

>Atlantis killed an army

Post pics. I like seeing battles.

Can we get a tips for beginners + things everyone should know kind of thing going on in this thread? I would like to learn hiw to play this game properly but don't really know all that much where to begin.

Lol this actually needed to be delayed because someone was out of town and no one would sub a major power if I recall correctly.

>144 hours
This is baby shit. Try 7 weeks. Kichikou didn't get a turn in for 7 weeks. Olathe is averaging a turn every 4 weeks right now.

IT

DEPENDS

Play multiplayer, notice how someone kicks your ass. Learn lesson. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Can a non-commander unit return from another dimension? Say, if I enslave mind a void creature and it doesn't come back with the commander?

Let's do it.

This isn't me.

S̵͇̳̠͈͚ͬͩ͒ͦ̾͛̅͟ȩ͚̹͖̿͆̌͋ͫ̇n̼̪͙̲̳͊ͣ̓̊̐̌̎͌͜d̰̟̿ͭ̽ͪ̽̎ͮ͝ ̰̞̖̦͖͛ͧ͂̈̈͌͆m̟̙̘͓̠̤͍͇͒͟ĕ̵̛̟̰̝̼͓̪̤͖̃̒ͮ͢ ̦̪͆͋͑͂͝ṯ͙͙̠̺͕ͭ͋̋̿h̸̩̹̜̹̯̭͕ͪ̓̑ͤ̂ͬ̇͂ͨe̱͕͉͈̲͖ͭ͐̈́ͅ ̣͓̼̩̬͙̗̄̑̋͒̒̈͜͟g̤̟͚̺͊͛ͦͪ̍̀͟͢e͍͙͙ͬ͆́͞ͅm̶̧̨͓̜̮̻̤̜͎͎͊ͮͪ̓́ͯ͑̚ş̧̺͖͎̘͖͇̮͍͇ͤ̓̍̾͠

>falseflagging
>getting todger flashbacks
please no.

>This isn't me.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Oh well, enjoy those death gems. I don't need those earth gems immediately, just make sure they arrive next turn.

Forgot my stupid nametag.

based on the mistakes i most frequently see newbies committing these are my tips:

-Dominions 4 is a multiplayer game.Stop playing single player, just test the first 15 turns of expansion
-before joining a game you should have tested expansion up to completion of the first fort, asked the thread for god design and know what is the very first spell you are going to research. you can make up the rest along the ride.
-after building armies for expansion 90% of your gold will go into recruiting mages to research; still have more gold? build another fort and lab and recruit more mages.every turn. for the entire game.This game is about magic.
-you should almost never buy Province Defense. just 1 point everywhere and 15 where you are building forts. it's not a good investment.
-put 1 single armored unit alone isolated upfront to catch all the enemy arrows. works only against indipendents provinces or undisciplined archers.
-start sitesearching in the first 12 turns, unless you want to rush/fear being rushed and need good magic spells.you'll want all the gems you can.
-against an equally powerful player eventually ( after you are done taking minor provinces with just armies) you will need to field all or almost all your mages and use all your gems. he's gonna do it, what makes you think you can get away with any less than that?
-battle magic is the real deal.you can't keep using your mages just to summon permanent troops, craft items or cast battle enchantments. go cast 40 fireballs each turn and summon 6 earth elementals, you'll see how scary it gets.mouse over commander scripts in the battle screen and use ctrl+number to copy and just the number to paste scripts.

Toppest time to declare your war with Agartha there Ulm.

How is it going?

They are coming. I was in the process of changing my turn to send you them last turn when the new turn came in.

No ge̶ms for b͝ulli͢es̀

And to add onto this while Dominions is a multiplayer game and you should get into PBEM as soon as possible, it's ok to take single player a little past turn 15 to play around with battle magic. When I was starting off I would go a little past expansion and kill my closet neighbor to see what kind of battle magic worked with my nation.

So who is worried about those vampires he recently summoned

I'm not

-never trust a throne. always assume there are hidden mages summoning 3 giant elementals and 80 skeletons. use a scout attack on retreat to see.
-never trust a fort.always assume the mages inside will summon shit and slow down the battle while you get arrowed down and lose all your men.or even worst mass earthquake. use a scout attack on retreat to see or come prepared
-do the above when you can.
-immobile pretenders are fucking invincible. respect them, you need the right sacreds or dedicated thugs with smashers.
-try to branch out to all the magic paths after midgame.you can live without a couple but why would you? there was a nice reference guide to boosting and breaking into magical paths. but Desura has been shut down.shame.
-putting all your dudes in one gigantic army rarely works.take lands and take back lands with few medium armies that can threaten to gather up and do a joint attack.
-DUDE.SUPPLIES.LMAO.(solved with Nature items)
-the first war is stronglings vs weaklings who failed to expand OR people doing diplomacy against someone who think (have been convinced to think) is scary.Don't be the weak one, expect backstabs to happen in alliances.
-take the thrones later, but always build a fort on them.
-As the game start look at throne requirements. how many thrones do you need to win assuming you get the good ones? if it's 3-4 thrones expect a lame and quick end, hopefully with your victory.
-stop letting me recruit all the mercenaries for cheap.most of them are good for expansion with pretty much all the nations but xibalba and pangea.
-recruits scouts, information is a coin.
-setting up the army for a fight is hard and there are many things to learn. but please, do not get your good/summoned troops stuck behind your crappy troops. don't let your mages be picked off by archers or birds and stop burning your people with missplaced fire elementals.
-thugs need to be fatigue neutral in almost all cases.

What do you think about a mod that gives certain pretenders specific automatically casted battlefield spells? Like Solar disk or Lord of the summer plague getting #onebattlespell "heat from hell", or Linnormr getting foul vapors.

>inb4 "that's overpowered"
I know. Its only intended as a curiosity.

Thelkines or whatever you call them already cast foul vapors dont they? I dont think it would be that bad, gods are supposed to be strong.

do they? Huh,so they do.

I would be ok with this if there was a point increase. It would make a lot of sense lore wise. Though I suppose it would be even more OP for expansion.

>Bitch Queen casts Howl
>Son of Fenrer casts how with Jotun Wolves
>Dagon casts Earthwuake

What I want is a mod that gives everyone a 5 thousand pretender points so we could have a game filled with fully blessed sacreds, maximum scales and awake SCs.

that sounds completely fine IF properly costed and doesn't ruin viable pretenders.Keep an eye on how much it is oppressive a turn 15 war or if it enables the pretender to expand alone ( which may or may not be a good thing).

the game does need more ways to make pretenders interesting and different.

That who recently summoned. You need to be more specific here. We're all blood nations here (okay, almost all).

is fountain of blood causing rain to fall too silly?

the lowest the cost can be set to is 0. best way I can think of is to manually set #pathcost 0 and #startdom 10 for every pretender. On that note, has a new modding manual been released yet?