/rlg/ - Roguelike general

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34 (embed)
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f (embed)

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu (embed)

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>PosChengBand is for autists
And yet it's still better than Dungeon OTab: Removal Soup

>Infra Arcana on Windows:
pastebin.com/S761eT4B (embed)

Old thread: יי

first for chei

First.

>cheifriend
>being the fastest one to post
we all know the god you're REALLY posting for, user

never change /rlg/

only 3 types of players play online

>people who hate the game and want all features removed (trunk players)
>people with no self control who have to play online to prevent themselves from cheating
>PCB fans who miss Yig Father of Serpents too much and want to recreate the one-turn breathening (instead of nether breathers this time it's dead draconian ghosts that nobody bothered cleaning up)

Why do I always get "rare" things in consecutive games and then never again?

>Pan portals in Orc:2 like 3 games in a row
>Desolation of Salt portals in 2 good games in a row, after never seeing them despite only playing trunk
>corrupted Ecumenical Temple (Lugonu) 2 games in a row

so goddamn weird

because humans are stupid, don't understand randomness, and constantly try to see patterns where there are none

I legitimately feel like enemies drop less corpses when you're hungry

>(instead of nether breathers this time it's dead draconian ghosts that nobody bothered cleaning up)

actually, this was fixed in trunk. Ghost Draconians no longer get Bolt of Draining breaths.

Crawl devs actually making a good removal ????? Colour me surprised. Did they veto lasty's idiotic bezotting yet?

Nope, that's still getting tested, although apparently even Tavernposters are giving Lasty and dpeg a hard time about it. Very good chance it won't make it into 0.20 at all.

What is bezotting anyway?

I think it is time to retreat a few levels.

random increasing chance that a monster that chases you too long eventually goes on permanent mini-berserk mode, gaining 2 speed, some HP, some stats for no extra XP. Basically there to shit on pillar dancing and sometimes just randomly ruin your day because energy randomization wasn't enough. Presented to you by 2/3 of the unholy trinity of tavern.

you forgot

>people who only play tumnaments
>people who only play for tumrates
>people who only care about tumcount speeenchrunning

>tumcount speeenchrunning
you got me this time you bastard

tales of maj'eyal is pretty good owo

is this anime a roguelike?

-clearly named after a spellbook from crawl
-involves tummies
-the ultimate form of magic is I CAST FIST

How do you exit the abyss?

kill enough dudes

Run around, exit portals are randomly generated. Just watch close that you don't accidentally go deeper into the abyss, if you don't know how to exit the abyss yet you will increase the probability to die massively

a) run. Every tile has a chance of randomly generating a portal. Stick to corners and angles, don't go through open spaces. Put on rings of stealth if you have any. One of the few places where potion of ambrosia is good. Not worth staying in place to heal.

b) fight (only if you are THAT strong). Eventually killing enough abyss thingies forces an exit to spawn.

press the > key while standing on an abyss exit

*Rod* of Heroic Speed? I didn't even know Rods of regular Speed existed.

They don't.
Also buy that if you haven't already.

-HeroicSpeed and -AngelicHealing are pretty good. They take rather a lot of device skill to get to a good fail rate, though.

At low levels, the fastest/safest way is just running around in Abyss:1 (or Abyss:2 if you're unlucky).

At high levels, finding the Abyss rune might be faster, although not necessarily safer. But exits spawn *much* faster if you have the rune with you.

I think the Akashic Record is some sort of mythological book that records the life and death of every person though

>-clearly named after a spellbook from crawl

u got me

This post concerns RL developers more than players, but in the past weeks I've been working on some sprites and fonts (pic related), especially designed to play roguelikes.

- Square tiles instead of vertical.
- Letters are proportioned instead of clumpy and deformed.
- Focus on negative space = light and readable
- 16x16 pixels allow for easy editing or swapping in other tiles.

I'll post more assets / wip if anyone is interested :^)

i mean if they're actual fonts then players can use them as well, at least for RLs that run in a real console/terminal

the problem is roguelikes that aren't designed for square fonts end up with really awkward proportions with the 80x24 terminals
plus square fonts tend to be ugly for actual text, unless the game has a display engine like cogmind's that lets it use a square font for displaying the dungeon but a half-width rectangular font for text

Post the fonts.

roguelikes use rectangles because the games are at a 3/4s perspective rather than strictly top-down

Pretty good font tbqh.

slow down user you're blowing my fucking mind here

Angband already has the perfect roguelike font. Everything else is reinventing the wheel.

The worst part is that roguelike engines usually assume the developer wants to use console technology, so they assume a single font, even though it's trivial to develop a system that uses multiple fonts.

So, you're either stuck with square text (which looks awful), or non-square tiles that don't reflect the game's reality.

Here's a previous iteration of some of the fonts.

I know most classics aren't designed with tiles in mind. But I'm looking for some middle ground. For example: when I play games made with libtcod, everything is so clumped together that it gets tiresome to look at.

Square tiles arent't perfect for reading line to line, but they feel more comfortable when it comes to play.

I want to be Xom's plaything

Some character sprites you could swap in.

CoQ or Cogmind bridged the gap quite elegantly.

Items n shieeet.

After all the removals and nerfs OpFi of Hep emerges as the power combo in trunk.

Gamechanger: Constricting bats means they can't run away

Beside X@COM,what RL has ayliums in it?

ZAPM has aliens that use anal probes against you.

AlienRL

It's always a good day.

I liked the one, except for the sound fx. Hard as balls.

I can't wait for Jupiter Hell!!!!! /shill
but in all seriousness I'll but it and share it maybe if I can

Is caves of qud still buggy and unfinished

does it still end your game and kill your character at level 18

>The worst part is that roguelike engines usually assume the developer wants to use console technology, so they assume a single font, even though it's trivial to develop a system that uses multiple fonts.
What the hell are you even talking about?

and they inflict the "sore" status

only if you pirate it

looking good

>80x24 terminals

grandpa pls

normal roguelikes only use 1 font
if you use a square font your text is fucked up
if you use a rectangular font your grid isn't square

he's saying it'd be nice if more roguelikes did the shit that cogmind does, where it uses an e.g. 18x18 font for the map but 9x18 for text

Ah, I see.

has anybody ever made a real-time roguelike

>thinking about how nice it would be to have Arga
>ask Gozag for a shop
>choose weapon shop
>Arga's in
Truly the one and only, best God

That is impossible by definition.

>80x24 terminals

But it's 2017! :-O

Arga?

just imagine a roguelike where you take turns as fast as you can enter commands, while the other entities in the game all take a turn each single second

Arga is a meme.

honestly I find that the basic damage of that weapon is too low to be desirable in extended

Oh that axe, fucking broken yeah

Youre retarded

>Youre retarded
express yourself with numbers shitlord

y0ur3 r374rd3d

>open 6 antique armor shops so far expecting at least one of CPA/barding/randart gloves
>jack fucking shit but 300000 randart ringmails of rcorr mr mp+9

thanks gozag

darksouls

The ring mail is the mightiest armour in the game, especially for naga.

Zigg dipping>Gozag

PDA is the best randart, while OCPA is the best unrand.

I love you user

I prefer 1H + shield
Frankly I could always tab through the entire game with a 1H axe easily enough, besides f bosses/uniques against which you'll have quaffed might/haste pots or spammed spells(extended) anyways

>antique shops
Your own mistake

Enjoy waiting until >Depths instead of having preoposterous gear before D10

>not wanting to have more ac as naga than garg

the mighty rink trumps all inferior forms of coverage

he only offers food shops, scroll shops, antique armor and general stores. Seen 1 weapon shop so far (had garbage drops) and fuck all else.

>natm of chei
>arga and shield of gong
>working on necromutation

What else do I need for webtiles, /rlg/? Maxwell's?

i love you too

FDA

Just give more gold, goyim

>reposting the same 2 images 3
times in a row
do not for the gozag jew

I only want what's best for you, user.
Sacrifice all your gold to Gozag and surely good things will happen!

>this wannabe doesn't even know goyim is plural

gozag is a mighty god but his strongest ability isn't the shops but hidden tech #16; do not pick up the gold while enemies are nearby!

I really miss when the gold actually had a shiny effect
Why did they fucking removed that
Then again it was also when the shops randomly spawned on an unexplored floor, fuck that shit

Gold aura is separate from gold piles.

All this talk is making gozag happy

N-NANI?!

is Sniper worth it? I vaguely remember having it once but it sucked, though I didn't have high crossbows. It sounds like it'd be super useful against panlords and hell lords and shit

>PDA is the best randart
So, we've come full circle.

idk if you can still dumbfire at shit that's off your screen it probably doesn't matter what you're using

W-WHAT?!!!!!!

>>>>>>>Gold aura is separate from gold piles.
>>>>>Gold aura is separate from gold piles.
>>>Gold aura is separate from gold piles.
>>Gold aura is separate from gold piles.
>Gold aura is separate from gold piles.

Nice.

will they ever add back death knight?

I DO NOT COMPREHEND

>non-tile DCSS

>phasing
It didn't have to end like this.