Wargames General /wgg/

>What is this?
A general for all strategic, operational, and tactical wargames that can't generate enough traffic to sustain their own generals. ARMA need not apply.

>Old thread
>Attention Grabbing tags:
/wgg/ /sdg/ /rtt/ /rts/ /rtsg/ /tsg/ /mowg/ /mowassg/ /ctag/

>Example welcome games:
Steel Division: Normandy 44
Wargame: Red Dragon
Combat Mission
Call to Arms
Flashpoint Campaigns
Graviteam Tactics
Theatre of War
Men of War
Command: Modern Air Naval Operations
Armored Brigade
Close Combat
Steel Panthers MBT
CMANO

>Introduction to Steel Division:
paradoxplaza.com/steel-division-player-guide/

>Graviteam Tactics Downloads:
pastebin.com/TwMLZQ6h
pastebin.com/cgWbuPSS

>Interesting history links:
Cold War military technology ads:
vintageadbrowser.com/military-ads-1980s
/wgg/ misc Cold War literature:
mediafire.com/download/zfm69f0k91pmf0y/wgg-lit-v1.3.rar
The Soviet Army: troops, organization & equipment
fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf
USMC intelligence North Korea handbook:
fas.org/nuke/guide/dprk/nkor.pdf
Everything there is to know about the T-62:
thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.my/2015/12/t-62.html

>Steamgroups:
We should really make a new steamgroup, the old ones were bloated and far too WG focused.

>Teamspeak server
ts3.nogf.moe

>Legacy Wargame General pasta and game-info repository:
pastebin.com/70Nwcb5m
dropbox.com/s/lon0cgmjfqwq1oi/WargameRD_Hidden_Knowledge_Spreadsheet.xlsx?dl=0
docs.google.com/document/d/1UvBiH3lrCFzLYnRzNzF49yVtaNHYLfi7dgMpNE517RM/

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/watM75d
lmgtfy.com/?q=define whinge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cuckchan sucks

2nd for 1 strength Fs-Jagers killing your halftracks

3rd for rifle-grenades when?

MoW/SD discord
discord.gg/watM75d

>mfw running out of units and the match is lasting the full timer

Is Yugoslavia +Czechnology the best REDFOR deck?

I don't think I've lost with them yet. Great infantry, fucking amazing tanks, God like AA.

The only thing they are missing is good SEAD (The Su-7s upvetted have done well for me so far) and top tier helis.

Can't wait for SD matchmaking. None of these lads are patient enough just to sit in one lobby for even 5 minutes to get into a 40 minute game. If you try to get a 2v2 or 3v3, you'll have like 8 people join and leave your match before settling for a 1v1.

Why would anyone ever play a 1v1?

NK is without a doubt the best redfor deck, I love me some nuke bombers and the t80

People still play wargame?
Looked it up: No

because they're not shitters who hide behind their teammates?

How 2 git gud as Japan in Rule the Waves?
>shit budget
>shit starting navy
>shit shipbuilding industry
Do I just bully Russia for their colonies to get more funding?

It's maintained a decent player base for a couple of years now. 900-800 players daily.

It will stay that way because its a better game than Steel Division.

Does the AI literally maphack in RD?
>playing single-player for shits and giggles, pearl of the orient
>have about 3 squads of MAW in the middle of dense woods in a fairly remote part of the map
>from across the map, 8 artillery shells land right on top of them, destroying 2 squads.
I'm not a shitter I swear.

Yes, AI cheats in all Eugen games.

It's fun and it is what i can get right now.

>10v10
>Spamming my units as fast as possible
>taking horrible losses, but pushing the germans back
>Gain control of like 2/3 of my sector by end of game
>Minor victory
>It was destruction

Yup, all Eugen games have that
It's stupid

from my experience, the best way of dealing with the AI in red dragon is ATGM helis and FOBs. And in the ship battle you can literally beat the entire soviet navy with one kongo and supply ships

You will probably end the game as shit, your goal is to become not the worst

>playing 10v10
>playing destruction

Why does the 3rd Armored get no 76mm Shermans? When facing the 12th SS they can field more panther's (because its the only unit they are buying)

I bet you know what every window in your house tastes like.

They do, you probably don't notice because the AP value is abysmal

Torpedoes and going full Jeune Ecole.

They were uncommon in Normandy.

But then why doesn't 3rd get any TD support?

wouldn't a TD Battalion be attached to the 3rd Armored?

>play the Scottish Infantry
>overwhelm an armoured deck in phase A with a 20AV supertank, and one-per-minute stuarts
>infantry so cheap I can spam them to fill the gaps
hehehehe

The AVRE can't really kill tanks though so if you see a firefly it's fucked

It should. It had 2 TD battalions (703rd, 803rd) attached near the end of June 44.

Eugen can't into historical accuracy.

how is it even possible to be THIS PASSIVE

this is a new level of wehraboo "can't scratch ze zimmerit or command vill kill me"

this is a really nice feature for once eugene genuine thanks

>wouldn't a TD Battalion be attached to the 3rd Armored?
They only got one attached in late june/early july

>when you realize the Luftlande player is in your way
>he simply can't stop you

*fires a panzershreck into your flank while the HS slams into the other*

It is, to the point where I think most of the community sees it as OP. They released the last DLC and then didn't stick around to fully balance it with more patches. It makes NSWP redundant.

Did you also look up SD numbers?

>t. shitter

A decent player won't let either get near the AVRE

>stopping a plane from getting near anything

Yeah, tri polstens and spits

Hs129 is piss easy to shoot down

>Spitfire costs 125
>Hs costs 200
really makes my PIAT pump

>play against the AI
>bring forth a firefly and a cromwell
>have recon and command vehicle
>spot a 6 pounder AT gun
>decide to take it out
>I get the first hit
>it's half way to routing
>6 pounder lets off one shot and my cromwell explodes
>okay
>the firefly I sent in to flank it is now close enough so it can actually fire
>6 pounder is one shot away from fleeing and it has two HP left
>it lets off one round
>boom firefly explodes
uninstalled right there.

The Firely can't use it's gun on a 6lbr, just the MGs and they won't suppress it or kill it right away.

Get fucking good.

Why did they give Phase A Luft multiple ground attack planes and yet no fighter?

What were they thinking?

>The Firely can't use it's gun on a 6lbr,
no shit, but the MG still works just fine. Still doesn't explain the one shot wonder you dipshit

they have bf 109s, far better than anything the allies have in phase A

>Rushes tanks head on into AT guns
>calls me the dipshit

>using tanks to take out AT guns

>he doesn't know the panther blob meta

Is that the meta where you feed kills to the brit players 17lbr by being a fucking idiot?

>AT gun gets off a single shot
>instantly panicked by a 6 gun counter barrage

wow really made me think

>firing a cromwell at maximum range is a tank rush

>Revealing AT gun before panicking the tanks with an airstrike or artillery barrage

>2v2 on Factory
>Both of us are Scotts v. Luft and 12.SS
>I have the SS guy on the field side, he's got the Luft in the factory
>Both of us start with AVREs
>Both of us completely clear our objectives
>Both Germans resign before phase B
lol

>Arty the tanks
>use more than 1 AT gun and supporting tanks to mop up the now immobile Panthers

That was hard

>AT guns
>moving

May I refer you to this

>17lber in AT section is 155 points
>17lber on Challenger is 150 points, has armour, can actually maneuver in combat, doesn't die to the first plane it sees

>implying i don't already have all your AT guns' locations mapped courtesy of my stealthy forward recon

keep up lad

Is it really too much for you to comprehend that I might be using 2 AT guns with intersecting fields of fire?

Or like has pointed out, challengers hiding until the Panthers are too panicked to fire at them?

This still doesn't explain how you expect to maneuver AT guns this decade

>Buying the 17pdr with the Stuart
>Not just the bedford

You're paying 35 points for transport m8.

except it's quite literally the only way of taking out an AT gun against AI

Okay, why do people unironically think Steel Division is better than Wargame?

Like I understand the like for the frontline instead of cap zone and a few other things. But every "problem" Wargame has, Steel Division "fixes"; just makes Steel Division sound hand-held.

So the retarded yank players are beginning to pick this up.

Nigga where did I say I was fucking moving them?

No it isn't

Artillery? Aircraft? Screen with some Halftracks first?

Pretty sure the veteran 17lbers only come with Stuarts, might be wrong tho

I too love units firing without revealing themselves

You're wrong.

You can get the in B with bedfords albeit 1 per card.

>1 per card
I'd rather take two expensive 17lbers in phase C and have an extra card of Wolverines

You might get the idea I prefer my AT on tracks, because I really hate arty killing it and really like mobile AT reserves

because they fixed all the big meta issues and smoothed out the gameplay. on one hand ww2 is a dead horse but on the other it actually works well

also there's gonna be a proper campaign, matchmaking, mod tools. basically the entire wishlist from wargame

That's nice dear.

Why don't you wait till the guards armoured appear before you play?

Because it works perfectly well with the Scotts, sweetie. Why don't you run back to the hole you crawled out of?

>MUH MOBILE ANTRY TANKIE GUN GUNS
>In a fucking infantry division
>Why don't you wait for, you know, the fucking armored division?
>ABLOO BLOO BLOO IDD WORKS FINE BUT IT DOESN'T AND I'LL COMPLAIN.

ok m8

Where did I complain? Why are you making shit up and being so incredibly hostile? Did you get rolled by a Scots player or are you just naturally butthurt? Questions abound where wehraboos and poor trolls tread.

What a cancerous discussion.

user. I'm not going to discriminate against you because of your obvious mental handicap. /wgg/ is an equal opportunities community and you're allowed to whinge about whatever you want and be an illogical, entitled little shit who demands everything to be tailored to his autistic desires.

Just, you know, give us a warning or something? Be considerate to the community before unleashing your autistic screeching.

Thanks.

Have a nice day now.

>try to act condescending
>can't spell whine

>A30 Challenger
>Armor

Armor relative to HE shells and rockets, not relative to actual guns. The Challenger should be in the anti-tank category next to the Wolverine.

lmgtfy.com/?q=define whinge

I was trying to communicate to your lack of dental hygiene in its native "language".

Forgive me.

Still going?

>a fucking CRUISER TANK
>in anti tank

Come the fuck on user. What next? Fireflies?

Challenger is a cruiser tank like Amy Schumer is a woman. In name only.

Do go on.

Why isn't it a cruiser tank? Would you class it as an infantry tank?

I'd class it as a tank destroyer because it's an absurd kludge to put a 17lber on a chassis where it really doesn't belong. The Firefly is a little more marginal because at least it still tries to look like a tank.

TDs are superior in every way

after firing the revealing shot they can fallback before return fire or when you are being overrun it can at least retreat, during the battle this would become apparent of tracked superiority

>At Anzio, a number of British towed anti-tank gun units were overrun and knocked out simply because they were unable to redeploy on short notice, while self-propelled guns were able to fall back and continue fighting.

>Once contact was made, the towed guns were unable to reposition themselves or withdraw, and were often overrun by the enemy advance, or simply outflanked by infantry. The gun crews, unlike their self-propelled counterparts, had no protection against small-arms fire, and could easily be driven back by a squad of infantry. This lack of mobility was aggravated by the cold wet weather, and the rough conditions, which tended to bog down wheeled vehicles and immobilize fixed guns. Throughout the 1st Army as a whole, three-quarters of the tank destroyers lost were towed rather than self-propelled. One battalion, the 801st, lost 17 towed guns in just two days, while the M10-equipped 644th, which fought alongside it, found ideal opportunities for close-range ambushes and claimed 17 tanks in the same time period. It was clear that the towed guns had proved ineffective and on 11 January 1945, the U.S. War Office approved Eisenhower's request to convert all remaining towed units in the theatre to self-propelled guns.

Good thing in Steel Memes TDs just behave like shitty tanks.

TDs behave like you tell them to behave. If you pull them back, they pull back. If you yolo them into infantry, they yolo. What the fuck do you want?

>The 705th, equipped with M18s, fought alongside the 101st Airborne at the siege of Bastogne, and played a key role in the defense of the town. Four M-18s and a platoon of infantry occupied Noville, just north of Bastogne, and stopped a German armored attack with flank fires, killing 30 heavy tanks (Panthers and Tigers). The battle was also the first major engagement of the M36, with its 90 mm gun; the three battalions employed[10] proved highly effective.
tfw no m36

>In effect, tank destroyers were used just like tanks in many cases. Study of ammunition expenditures shows that tank destroyers in Europe fired about 11 rounds of high-explosive (HE) ammunition for every round of armor-piercing (AP) ammunition, showing conclusively that they were used for general support duties far more often than as anti-tank assets.
Your right, they were used as shitty tanks irl too

I'm so glad your opinion doesn't matter.

So... lets see.

Mobile tank destroyers

Operated by the royal artillery
Used as mobile AT guns
Grouped in tank destroyer sections and attached to formations

Cruiser Tanks
Operated by the RAC
Deployed in squadrons
Concentrated in regiments

A30 Challenger
Operated by the RAC
Deployed in squadrons
Concentrated in armored regiments
Operated by the royal artillery
Used as mobile AT guns
Grouped in tank destroyer sections and attached to formations

I can't wait to see you argue against historical accuracy that Eugen wants to achieve as well as British doctrine and classification.

But you'd know better? right? Yeah, no. Fuck off

thanks to the russians for bringing this into the meta

>A30 Challenger
>Operated by the RAC
>Deployed in squadrons
>Concentrated in armored regiments
>Operated by the royal artillery
>Used as mobile AT guns
>Grouped in tank destroyer sections and attached to formations

not him what the fuck did you mean by this

>typing all that
I triggered you hard

But go on, use the Challenger as a cruiser tank instead of a tank destroyer. Exploit gaps in the line. Push it up. Get aggressive with it.Tell me how it goes.

Are you going to, with a straight face, tell me it's a better idea to use the Challenger as a cruiser tank than it is to use it in ambush and as a mobile anti-tank reserve?

>admit it's a mobile AT gun
>refuse to call it a tank destroyer because "muh historical classification"

The British did silly things like calling the Wolverine an anti-tank gun. That doesn't make the Wolverine not a tank destroyer, it makes the British silly.

not him but even if its used a TD its still a tank by design

if you call the challenger a TD then the firefly would also be a TD, and then nothing would make fucking sense because that would allow subhumans to take more cards of panthers and while allowing less 17pds for the Scots

>He doesn't know how to use cruiser tanks
>Blames others for his lack of ability
>Can only use his tanks as mobile camping tents

kek

>Armoured division theory emphasised using the speed of cruiser tanks for independent action to protect flanks, attacks on an opponent's flanks and rear, pursuit and counter-attack
Either the doctrine is wrong or you're wrong.

>Brits use Achilles as mobile AT guns
>They literally use them to hold a position until towed artillery is brought there
>Brits are silly for calling it SPA

k