/hhg/

This thread is going to fizzle edition.

Previous Thread:

With all the Hatch posts on Veeky Forums lately, why not get a containment thread for those who are interested in potentially buying a hot hatch, own a hot hatch, or want to talk shit about how we failed to purchase a FR V8 vehicle.

>What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; Hot Hatches have been a thing for the US since the 90s, took a dip in the mid 00s and are gaining momentum again.

Current star of the week:
Fuck it! It's the Abarth! I know you fuckers are buying these lately.

>a stripped out Volvo 244 weighs as much as a fiat 500
I really don't understand how a car that small can weigh that much, I don't fucking get it.

2,500lbs was more than I was expecting desu. I would have thought somewhere closer to 2,300 if I was guessing.

Italians are secretly the Americans of Europe. Also I imagine an archaic cast iron block doesn't help. Either way I enjoy mine and don't mind the weight, it still scratches my itch.

The Volvo is literally 4 feet longer and 3 inches wider, and it's the same weight
FOUR FEET LONGER

The Volvo is cast iron too though, and has a solid steel axle in the back, which the fiat does not, a fucking 300lb solid steel axle.

>customer asks me to check fuses on her Fiat 500
>we dont check fuses but fuck it, she looks like and has the same rocking tits as my old female bestie/FB
>wait for her dumb ass to find the hood latch
>pop hood
>...
>NOPE

Yeah, as much as I liked the idea of the 500 Abarth, I think I'd rather have a Fiesta ST

>comparing a brick from the 80s to a modern car with shitloads of safety equipment and amenities
Apart from being unable to drive at 50km/h you're also retarded.

Nobody's arguing with you dude, chill, we're all just as perplexed as you are.

Lol fiat fanboy from the last thread is back, does your mom know you're gay yet?

>does your mom know you're gay yet?
I thought being a degenerate furfag helped with those projections. Apparently not.

Get back to the driving school instead of shitposting, faggot.

Stay BTFO, stay made of lead

Post your hatches boys

At the end of the day, I'm not the one jerking off to BBC wildlife and driving an 80s shitbox. So yeah, I'm pretty good "staying BTFO."

Your car is just as slow and heavy as an 80s shitbox tho
>make the car fwd, it's lighter!
>still weighs as much as an 80 Swedish tank with a cast iron engine and a Dana 30 truck axle in the back that's literally four feet longer

Cute cute, postin'.

Can we please just have a fucking hot hatch thread without it turning into another
>gay
>no u
shitfest?

That's a great color and a great view. I'm guessing some fun roads to get there?

I miss the good old days of stripping the carpet and back seats out of a civic and getting that bitch down to 1500 pounds, throwing in some scuba tanks full of cheater gas and some underglow and calling it a day.

>that sign
fuckin keked, and nice car. Black?

Thanks m8, yeah, pretty fun roads up that way.

Yep.
The diner that sign is by is the only good thing about McCook.

Those small town diners always are. Almost seems like the cooks have been there as long as the restaurant too.
God damn living in Oklahoma is suffering. I'm the gray Abarth guy, and the only mildly fun roads around me are the few miles through the Wichita Mountains. Problem is they're generally crawling with rangers and tourists.

Bully me, senpais

Is that a golf or GTI?

Yeah, there are some highway patrol roaming the mountains, but mostly they just want you to stay safe.

Several points on that posted route have "proceed at safe speed" speed limits, which on state highways, unposted speed limits are 55mph.

It's a fun spot, but it's no comparison to the promised land.

I'm heading to 129 in August. How bad are the police? The advice I was given was drive 129 once, but there are better/less patrolled roads near by.

Golf. Its just got an aftermarket grill from ebay because I'm a special snowflake
>mfw I get asked that question more often than I'd like

A rabbit or the 2.slow? I know the 2.5 can make decent power with some mods

Actually, the cook is some 30 year old Mexican dude. Motherfucker knows how to make eggs though so I'm not complaining.

It's a 2.5 but it needs a looooooooot of bodywork. Like, embarrassingly so. Ive also found out that those 2.5 blocks can make some good power though, but I wanna get it looking less like a shitbox first before I try to get it to go Sanic Fast.

Dont know if I'd ever commit to a turbo, though.

Just don't cross the double yellow line, and don't be an idiot and you shouldn't have any problems.

They know enthusiasts are there to have fun, they just want you to be safe. If you get to a point in the road where you can hit over 50 or 60mph, there's likely a cop waiting nearby. There's just too many curves.

The other roads are fun, but a bit sketchier. Honestly, there isn't a bad drive in the area.

I should also mention I was there for a few weekdays in the late spring, so your experience in August may differ slightly.

I'm excited to check it out. Will be the first road trip in my car so we'll see how it goes.

Any rust? Or just cosmetic damage?

Cosmetic, thank god. I live in the southwest so my car's never seen salted roads. I'm 'mirin your R32, how is that AWD anyway? I always see anons memeing about haldex

Has there ever been a "sports hatch" that was built from the ground up as a fast car with a hatch, rather than a converted econobox with a turbo/badging/handling bits added on?

That's part of the whole hot hatch thing though, is making econoboxes more fun. As to a purpose built performance hatch, not really sure, aside from some shooting brakes, though I'm not sure that would count.

It really just feels like awd. I'd be lying if I said I could tell the fwd bias. It isn't like my GTI at all which really feels like it is pulling me along. I have the UM tune so it is a little more aggressive than stock.

I don't see why shooting brakes wouldn't count other than the rwd. The real shame is that there's almost no demand for 2 door hatches anymore when they're the only ones that look good.

wall

Only picture I have that doesn't show my pl8s. I like how other ST and abarth owners give the knowing thumbs up, though everyone else thinks we blow dudes.

That's because everyone who hates on them has masculinity issues because their cousin Cletus made them touch his weiner. But I love my FiST so much fun

I don't think I've ever actually taken a picture of my GTI... But it looks like this.

I'll have it paid off in 8 months... not sure what I want to get next.

Plaid or leather? Pls not leather.

It's the plaid. I wasn't thrilled with it at first, but I've come to like it.

What work have you done? Mk7 gti owner aswell.

2015 MK7

True. You dont buy these to impress people, that would be a mistake. You buy it for blasting through the twisties and listening to sweet sweet BOV sounds

Max fun, bottom dollar, too much brake dust. Just bought mine last week, absolutely love it.

Mk7

Sorry 2016. Been a little drinksie, so my reading comprehension isn't at its best.

The brake dust breaks my soul, ive stopped cleaning my wheels daily after 3 weeks

Oh sorry, you asked what work.

I haven't done anything, I'm not going to keep it forever.

It's fun, but, over time, it turned out not to be as comfortable to sit in as it felt when I test drove it. Not sure how I fucked that up...

hell yes I installed the boomba BOV adapter just for maximum noise, makes me smile everytime I hear it when riding through the corners
Yea the brake dust makes me wanna cry everytime I go out for work in the morning and my entire rotor is orange

>Brake dust blues
Super tempted to just throw different pads on.

Hawk sells ceramic pads that would cut down on dust.

Pray for me, /hhg/

Italians are the NIgerians of Europe

>not liking a car anymore based on the engine

Why doesn't Italy have migrant problems like the rest of Europe? They get to Italy and don't realize they've left the third world, so they keep going.
Amen. My Abarth was cheap, makes a good noise, is fun to drive, and it always puts a goofy smile on my face seeing another silly hatch going the other way.

That sucks bro. Super underrated chassis.

>almost bought one of these in high school
It hurts even from here user.

*fizz*

Would any older hatchbacks make a good project car? I want to try reviving something and learning more about wrenching.

Unironically an old civic or a Metro

Sure man, almost all old hatchbacks are pretty neat. The mk1 GTI is iconic, mk1 Fiesta's are pretty cool too. Civics, geo metros, whatever. Don't expect it to be very fast (though they are light on their feet) and also know if you crash you'll likely die lol.

Thread isn't fizzling on my watch.

Fuck me I want a Fiesta ST but it's hard to justify the purchase. I can afford it I just don't need it.

GTI reporting in. Not sure if keep it and fix it up or sell it and use the money for a Fiesta. It's such a fun car but it needs a lot of cosmetic work.

>metro
Why would you recommend a fucking metro, at least a civic is sporty, a metro is just shit.

metro isn't a hot hatch but it's a cheap hatch and they'll last for five hundred million miles. They're comfy smol boys, but every single one of them is in garbage condition with salvage titles so good luck finding a good one.

He just asked what would make a good project car, a civic would, a metro would not.

A 90's Civic hatchback or an early 2000's Civic Si. Or a Focus SVT. Good cars but most of them you'll find will have some poorfag ricing done to them. SVT's are kind of hard to find in general. I remember a while ago an user bought an Si from an old man for $2500 and that is a lucky find.

Also Mk4 VW GTI's are absolutely everywhere and they're usually pretty cheap but they fall in the meh range of GTI's. Mk5's are still too expensive to recommend.

True

Post hatchbacks that you a hot version of.

Fit Si never ;_;

I'm driving a 2nd gen Fit (2012).
If Honda made a Fit Si that doesn't look like a 16 year old boy's wet dream, I'd trade in on day 1.

I like the idea of a civic. I have a VW now and it would be fun to work on a Japanese car.

Just buy the FiST already.

knowing modern honda it would have that obnoxious body kit that the current Civic has.

MS3/MPS reporting

I've heard that a rear sway bar upgrade does wonders to handling performance. Is this true?

Dunno how much it'd count as a hot hatch cos it only has the standard 2.sl0w litre but yea

Atleast the engine is indestructible

>guy on Fiesta ST forum currently has 175000mi/281000km, almost half of it heavily modded
>never changed clutch, just spark plugs/coolant/tranny fluid

Gives me peace of mind. Why do people on Veeky Forums like to talk about this cars supposed unreliability and then never back it up?

The engine is the car.

It's how it's always been, people claiming melting turbos or other nonsense without ever citing a source. It's been that way for at least the past 2 years on this board lol.

The Fiesta just seems to rub some people the wrong way. It has minor-to-no issues, can be heavily modded while retaining stock reliability.

Good looking little car in any case. I had an old Jetta with the 2.5 before I got my Abarth, and that thing was a dog. Always started though.

even the worst GTI's are better than 75% of other hatchbacks

whyyyyy did Mazda stop making these?

Likely because Ford sold their interest in Mazda so they went the same way as the rest of the Japanese manufacturers.

Yeah everything I have heard is that the fiesta st is surprisingly reliable even modded. There are some bad stories out there, but that is true of every car and maker. Coming from the 90's Nissan golden age scene myself, there are just lots of jdm/euro fanboys that WANT Ford's to be shit, even though they are absolutely killing it with performance trims on lots of models. Fun reliable and cheap, it's hard to justifiably shit on it.

Yea Ford has really turned their shit around and I'm actually proud to be a Fiesta ST owner. Coming up on 44k miles and absolutely no problems besides having to do basic maintenance and had to change rotors and pads recently because of the torque vectoring. But overall even with modding it's very reliable. Veeky Forums is just a bunch of fags who can't handle that Ford is killing it.

Anyone have tyres other than Potenzas on the Fiesta ST? Any recommendations? Can get Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 2 for less than the Potenzas. Wet grip is important as it rains 364 days a year here in Ireland.

As a FoST owner, I'm happy that ford is killing it with these, but I am concerned about the future now that the ceo responsible for all this got the boot.

I like my Indy 500 tires, best UHP grip both wet and dry. Where you live they might be called Potenza RE003.

That being said, always better to melt your stock tires at a track than sell them. Less grippy tires teach car control better, and torque vectoring can kick the tail out during hard cornering with them.

They're already fucking with the Fiesta ST for the 2018 model. 3 cylinders. What's THAT going to be like

It will sound better.
That's about it.
It's a silly choice from an enthusiast standpoint, And that's what these cars are marketed at so...why?

Yea of course after they make great strides they kill off the man responsible for it. Although I wanna believe in Ford I think it'll be bad.

I agree, though there is a guy waiting in the wings over there that wants to really stick it to GM, so I'm slightly optimistic.
Not that being optimistic has ever worked out for me.