Why don't Euro displacement taxes consider forced induction?

Turbos and superchargers should add the equivalent of 1.0L to displacement taxes, so manufacturers have some sort of incentive to develop NA engines instead of making 1L 3cyl turbos with 5:1 compression and 40 psi of boost. Turbos are better at cheating EPA mileage tests but are no more efficient in daily driving where driver actually uses boost.

Because politicians are retarded

Because in many countries it's not the actual displacement that gets taxed. It's either emissions or fuel economy, and those stats are taken directly from official tests which are easier to "cheat" using small turbo engines.

You want more taxes and regulations? You think a tax and regulatory regime is the way to make people do what you want rather than just convince them by persuasive argument or marketplace demand?

You could never buy a turbo engine if it bothers you and convince others why they should not until you have changed consumer demand.

Or we do your thing and have piles of regulations and statutes falling out of our asses constantly.

Besides the point that taxes should have some kind of rational basis in what's reasonable and necessary for the operation of the state and based on those clear principles. Taxes should not be used for emotional reactionary social and market engineering to get whatever desired effect ivory tower wonks and power hungry politicians imagine they can achieve. Stop doing science experiments with peoples money and livelihoods.

Government requires x dollars to operate and collects x dollars to do so. It should not also collect y dollars because they decide they like or dislike something. Tyranny that is. Lords of old operated with that view of the public treasure.

Or we could do it the American way and

>make cars weighing 4000 pounds with 8L V8s making 100HP and getting 12 MPG
>suffer from oil shortages
>TWICE
>every car either has to be a 5000 pound landbarge, or has to have weight added to it in the form of safety features to prevent a fatality caused by a soccer mom driving said 5000 pound SUV
>every car is either an SUV, a truck, or a crossover, because women don't feel safe if they aren't in a giant slab of steel with no windows that towers over everything on the road

> Why don't Euro displacement taxes consider forced induction?

huh, who sells most turbocharged engines in the world ?

i think you are right, it should included in "displacement tax". because then you get some unnatural situations where optioned "EVO" (or anything else), costs less than korean luxobarge, despite having nearly the same power output (+- 7%).

IMO factory turbocharging is of the most lazy-ass trends in recent years, because you can reuse same engine block you've designed 15 years ago, lowering CR means that your fuel economy goes to fuck itself if you step harder, you literally do not care about cylinder airflow, fuel atomization, flame propagation, parasitic loses, sustaining higher rpms bit it doesn't really matter, "longer" gears will solve everything; and people will still be killing eachother to buy your "grand tourer" that will overheat after 5 minutes

NA motors are actually making a comeback in the EU for small cars. Seems some recent design improvements of engines are increasing milage with very high compression, making turbo models with this tech a bit less reliable

The world relies on America to keep the balance. For every 3rdworlder/eurocuck in a 1 liter 3 cylinder economy car, there must be one red-blooded american exercising his freedom to solo-commute 50 miles @ 85mph every day in his dually crew cab pickup. Some people say it is wasteful to live in excess, I say it is wasteful to not order bacon and cheese on your triple burger.

How do you come up with this 1.0L displacement equivalent BS? And like someone else mentioned, why would you want more government regulation?

FPBP
They don't consider anything other than displacement. A modern 5.7 V8 gets better milage than a 3.5 V6 from the mid 2000's.

Holy shit, this just made me come to the sudden realization of why the ecoboost mustang was really developed....Europe

>implying we drive large vehicles because muh safety
No, we drive large vehicles because it reduces the frequency with which we have to make two trips. Getting 20MPG@60MPH (actual numbers from my 4400lb curb, 5.2L V8 truck) as opposed to 35+ is worth it when you can combine three trips into one.

>Hur Durr Extra air=extra displacement guz!

No, just kill yourselves.

my old 90's Honda 4 banger got 21 highway 19 city EPA rating

>we have to make two trips
are all americans this dumb

>more air
>more fuel
>more fuel being burned
>more polution
pretty basic shit

Turbos let you burn more fuel per combustion cycle. That's why they let you make more power

Yes and? All they look for is fuel being burned at idle or cruising not at powerbands all the time. A larger displaced engine will have to have a greater amount of fuel spent per revolution then a smaller one with adjustable fuel injection and induced airflow. Now if engine emissions were not tested at maximum RPM all the time then it would not even be debatable.

Belgium is the only country in all of Europe to tax cars based on displacement.

>Holy shit, this just made me come to the sudden realization of why the ecoboost mustang was really developed....Europe

Why? As has been said displacement is not taxed in most of europe.

It takes two trips to carry your fatass to the office?

>tfw my 5000 lbs 4.7l site pickup gets 8mpg

I really wish we got Toyota Dynas in this country. 235hp is wasted when it spends most of its time pulling small implements.

Real world cruising speeds are on boost all over the world.

It was known in the late 90's and early 00's that you would get more mpg than the vehicles rating if you drove sensibly. Nowadays you cannot find a single vehicle that beats its own estimates.

Because German manufactures are world leading in forced induction technology. So the EU essentially ensure all cars are forced into this engine configuration to give the German manufactures an edge on their rivals.

A similar thing happened in the 90's with diesel technology where German manufactures had scale advantages in it so EU regulations encouraged it in more cars. The negative health and pollution effects were ignored to allow German manufactures to gain a dominant position in the automotive industry.

Yet another reason, among many, why the EU is cancer.

I always beat the estimate in all my cars, turbo, N/A or supercharged.

>So the EU essentially ensure all cars are forced into this engine configuration

How do they do that?

Easy solution: other EU countries could just build better cars

there is a tax in germany on emissions and one for displacement, so a bigger na engine that has less emissions then a smaller turbo one is still taxed more. However thats just Germany and not the EU afaik

The V8 far outsells the ecoboost here. People in Europe get mustangs for the V8, if you just wanted a turbo coupe there are other cheaper alternatives

in europe the split between V8 and ecoboost is like 70/30. In the usa is closer to 50/50, beacuse in europe you buy a mustang to get a badass v8, while americans buy them to have a mustang.

>there is a tax in germany on emissions
Yes
>and one for displacement,
No It's been almost a decade since displacement was taxed in Germany. Try again with actual facts this time.

What does an American do with muh Vee8? Go 80 mph on a "free"way? LOL

How old are your cars?

Too bad you are wrong

Drop 3 gears before a tunnel then hold it wide open the whole way thru deafening all the people you pass along the way.
At least thats what *I* do with my V8.

Between 1969 and 2016.

Do you read German? The displacement tax is pre 2009 was right if you class 8 years as "almost a decade" and it seams reasonable to me.

Is 2017 prior to 2009 in your mind? Keep digging.

Do you read german? the right collum is for cars registered after 2009 and still includes 2€ per 100ccm2 for gas and 9,50€ per 100ccm2 for diesels.

Wrong. Go and learn German.

what does it say in your opinion?

So that's for gas, per liter of engine displacement; 20€.
Even if that is per year, which i doubt, this is in no way an argument to consider while designing an engine. A 4L V8 would cost 80€, while a 1.6L would cost 32€. Relative to either the fuel consumption difference or manufacturing costs this is negligible. Even for Diesel, at 5 times these rates, this is not relevant.
For your information: VAT in most european countries is around 20%. on a 25K vehicle is is 5.000€. 50€ would be 1% of that.

How do you explain this

while it is true that it makes almost no difference, there is just no reason for it existing

Displacement, no.
Power, yes.

The mustang is also selling to several different markets and using the same car to do it. The ecoboost is meant to cater to the secretary, the regular V8 is meant to cater to the basic bro and the GT350(r) is meant to be the midlife crisis car.

Il have you know my barge is 6000 lbs and makes 190 hp from its 8l v8 and i get 10 mpg city 14 highway.

>What is Scale advantages