WA meet: /k/amp/out/ edition

Currently planning for the second weekend in August, (12-13) but the date is subject to revision

This will be a two day meet with an overnight camping stop. The current plan is to start somewhere in Granite Falls and drive the mountain loop over to Darrington. in Darrington we can pick up perishable supplies, ice, beer, w/e for the overnight stay.

Camping will be in the Sauk river valley, which is considered a primitive camping area. this means we will need to carry in either enough water or adequate water filtration for the second half of the day/following morning. the area could be quite hot and sunny, so bring pop up shades, umbrellas, sunscreen, etc, to help you keep cool. this is also an area of fairly high insect activity, so bring your favorite bug spray.

there is a shooting pit in the camp area, so feel free to bring something to plink with. please be smart with your firearm usage/storage

Day 2 will consist of following highway 530 up to highway 20, and then looping along the back side of the cascades back toward Monroe.

As of the last meet, it was decided that everyone needs to have a radio for communication. it helps a lot with general coordination as well as locating people in areas with no cell phone service. We recommend snagging a Baofeng UV-5R from amazon. they're dirt cheap, and surprisingly solid.

Radio link >amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A

Other urls found in this thread:

t.me/joinchat/AAAAAA5uVIU1GZuFNtpmrg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_triangle
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We should try to keep this one up for a while guys.

there was no after math thread for the last meet, what happened?

I'd like to know too, I wasn't able to make it because I damaged my car trying to avoid having my car damaged.

t. Portlandfag

We got split up and some people ended up going a different way or getting lost.

The town we met up in was really full because of a festival or something going on. Since a good number of people didn't have radios they couldn't communicate with the rest of the group to get back on track.

basically this a lot of us showed up kinda late and found that the local festival thing was taking up all the parking in town. so the group tried moving the initial meeting point to down the street, and that threw some people off.

then as we went back through town after finally assembling, a big portion of the group had a misunderstanding and missed a turn. the group with radios were able to communicate fairly effectively, and we posted a couple location updates on the kik. unfortunately for those without radios, all they saw were addresses posted without any context. so they drove from point to point getting increasingly lost.

my understanding is that we eventually wound up with two groups that more or less did the same route. so it was more like two mini meets. for the most part, people seemed to have a pretty good time. at least once we had climbed up out of the heat.

>Driving that close to seattle
>ever

eww gross!

Bump

we can't let the thread die

bump

>everyone just talks in the kik

ok but guys the thread

anyone have questions about the route? about the proposed camp site?

also, i recommend at least one of us heads up to the camp area to check it out a few weeks before hand. could make a shooting day out of it too if other people showed up.

the area has changed a bit over the years. there are a couple places that i think would be big enough for all of us, but it would be good to make sure they still exist and are accessible to the lower cars

this is why the kik should be demolished

then get on having cell networks unbanned so we can shitpost more.
there is some talk of trying telegram due to crossplatform compatibility and being less shitty than kik

If you guys stop in wenatchee for lunch or something then I'll swing over.
>Being condemned to eastern washington

you mean lucky enough?
>less traffic
>less tax
>less seattle populace
>less homeless crackheads
>more open space
>more camping, shooting and general freedom

Yes but also
>Meth
>Everything worth a damn is a million miles away
>1000 degree summer
>-1000 degree winter
But I agree, it's definitely better than living in seattle but I'm from the peninsula so I never really had to deal with that anyway.

ehh, meth is pretty bad everywhere now.

i feel ya on the temps though, but you dont get much of the endless drizzle

Yea rain is pretty rare but the thunderstorms in the summer get pretty crazy. Pretty good feel cruzing it night with a bunch of lightning and 80+ degrees.

>Since a good number of people didn't have radios they couldn't communicate with the rest of the group to get back on track.

By magic, the two car group of the MR2 and Mr Snacks didn't have radios and lost track of everyone, but they followed the published route and ended up with the group again. Credits go to the MR2 for having eagle eyes and memory at spotting the other cars.

As expected, late starts are bad. The Meet supposedly starts at 11AM with a take off time of 11:30AM. But people kept on straggling in long after that time, but they called ahead of time so people waited.

Eventually, everyone cruised over to Boise Park further down 410 from Wally's as that place was too crowded. Again, the late time in the day meant Boise Park parking was nearly full as well due to ongoing baseball games.

There were quite a few cars showing up. I didn't count since I assumed someone else did.

>what happened?
After regrouping, we went to park at the bridge with rapids just before you get to Paradise. There, we had a cookout along with snacks and lots of drinks.

The sun was interesting on the wires. There was a section of road that had telephone poles full of power lines. Not just the upper high voltage transmission ones, but lower 7200V ones as well. Because these were twisted cables, the sunlight had a dewy reflection off of them so it looked like a lot of linear cobwebs coated with dew on wooden poles. But unlike morning sun with dew, this was late afternoon ruddy sun, so the dewy effect was more surreal. It was worth a taking a picture.

There were scary places too. The snowpack is pretty strong, but underneath is a current of water. Not even by official drainage, there was a section near where people walked where a misstep would cause you to be sucked under the snowpack to be lost in the darkness.

After the cookout, we passed all the familar spots. The group was driving too fast for me to do so, but I was tempted to try to pretend my fuel pump wasn't working and cruise down the highway and see how far I could go. Pretty sure I could make it to the rest stop that had running water and even a water fountain and water spout to refill canteens and carriers.

On the way back down, one of the guys stopped to pick wildflowers to make a small souvenir Rainier Bouquet for his sweetie back home.

>As of the June 24th meet, it was decided that everyone needs to have a radio for communication.

So this is the mandatory rule from now on? I assume everyone will also use the "Abandon Everyone Without A Radio" rule then. It's too bad that WA meets are changing to be this way. Rather than traveling as a pack, it will be people traveling at their own speed using radios.

Anyone going to the eclipse? Califag here.

>there was no after math thread for the last meet
In the past, the aftermath comments continued in the same Meet thread. But the thread died since there were posters who hated seeing the Meet threads bumped. So it was agreed to stop bumping that thread. Thus that thread died.

traveling in a pack will still be a requirement. even the higher end baofeng's top out at around 1-1.5 miles in that terrain, and the next meet is planned to be just as mountainous.

i dont think we'll shun people who choose not to grab radios, but outside of one or two attempts to relocate them with kik, or the thread, i think we will probably just keep moving.

this upcoming route has a major stop over planned after the first "half" of the route. after that will be mostly straight forward rural highways where i think we'll have a better chance of sticking together

>i think we will probably just keep moving.
Seems like this encourages some of the more mischievious drivers to try to practice tricks to lose others.

If you have a radio, and you know the person following you doesn't, then open up a gap in front so that the people behind you don't see them when they make the turn off as mentioned on the radio. Then speed up super fast and put enough distance so they don't see you around the curve in the road when you make that right turn. Presto. Those dorks are lost and anyone following the guy without the radio becomes sort of lost too. Or they do make the turn because they have radios and the others just keep on going straight.

Coming up to a 4 way stop. Be sure to slow down so that all the other stop signs have cars at them. Now take off. The other 3 signs release their cars and hopefully some get between you and the cars following you. Now you can do your slow down speed up tricks to lose the followers with the help of those intervening cars.

Coming up to a stop light, touch your brakes to turn on the brake lights but don't slow down when it is yellow. A light touch on the pedal doesn't slow the car down. People behind will brake when they see your light. Now keep on going thru the light. You lost them good by breaking the chain.

All done in the name of competitive fun. This is WA after all and that's the way we roll.

you guys sound stupid as hell, but man, that looks like one awesome drive

>traveling in a pack will still be a requirement
It's not a requirement.
Those who lose the pack will stay lost if they don't have a radio.
If you call that abandonment, then so be it.

this isn't california, the goal is to have a fun drive as a group. a lot of us agreed that the speeds we moved at on the first meet this year werent a good idea.

myself and at least 2 others stated that they'd rather slow down a bit and enjoy the scenery

>tfw I have to move to Pullman on the 11th of August and have responsibilities once I get there
thought maybe I could make it to a meet this time

>the goal is to have a fun drive as a group
Those slowpokes don't know how to follow. I bet some of them can't even follow you going straight on a city street. In a short distance, you'll lose them not because you tried. But because some other more aggressive or skilled driver pushed their car in between you and the guy following you. Or they are too timid to change lanes with you. So a bunch of cars get in between and block their view. Now they are lost.

What do you do? The people without radios will be forced by the rest of the group to be at the end of the pack. If they are up front, when they get lost, they might lead the rest of the pack in the wrong direction.

So, it's settled. No radio. Be at the end of the pack.

Can't say I like unfriendly groups with pecking orders and radio requirements.

Well some people at these meets are shitty drivers who are afraid to do more than 20 mph in a gentle turn and slam on their brakes every time they see brake lights 20+ feet infront of them.

we're all adults here.
if they can't keep up, then they shouldn't come to any more meets.
their shitty driving slows the group down if we wait for them.

t.me/joinchat/AAAAAA5uVIU1GZuFNtpmrg

heres a telegram link, we're trying to get people in here instead of kik

That's not really a problem we've been having. Even the truck guys have been able to keep up through the twisties

bump

yeah, you sound like a fag
i drive a massive SUV with an iron block v8
just blipping the throttle costs 25cents lol

i drive slower than shit because you really don't know what its like to handle all this motherfucking ford steel on the road, fag
fucking crush your chinese shit

we may run a smaller meet or two in july to fill the void and keep things active
feel free to start organizing something if you have some ideas

July meet sounds good

I'd join but then everyone would know i'm a FURRY

just join, we'll only bully you a little bit

do not

just don't show up to the meet in a cum stained fursuit

i'll make sure its cum free

A couple mini meets would be great. I know there's still plenty of roads I haven't driven on yet.

Is the Chuckanut meme too normie filled? Looks really fun.

i always hear about normie car groups going up for it but i have no idea how traffic is up there

>we may run a smaller meet or two in july
I'll go to those.

I always liked having mini-meets paired with one of the non-driving car events. Non driving event means things like a cookout, visiting one of the car museums, or ending at a local dive restaurant to get an idea of how those are in that area.

>triggered

>Coming up to a stop light, touch your brakes to turn on the brake lights but don't slow down when it is yellow. A light touch on the pedal doesn't slow the car down. People behind will brake when they see your light. Now keep on going thru the light. You lost them good by breaking the chain.
I do this on roads to tailgaters but I switch the rear foglights on instead kek

Would anyone be down for an Veeky Forums PGP meet?

anyone have any good mini meet route or destination ideas for july?
i have to think theres going to be a million car shows going on through then, anything good like the chateau st michelle show?

Are the edges of that road lined with ditches?

we could do the 101 starting and ending in Olympia

that might be too long for a mini meet though

>mini meets
what a faggot lmfao
enjoy your woman car

>we could do the 101 starting and ending in Olympia
The car museum is also in Tacoma

>what is reading comprhension

loop the peninsula? thats a pretty long drive if its gonna be a filler meet.

no idea, i havent been on it for about 15 years

>what is posting b8 to get the thread bumped

>genx car culture

>Currently planning for the second weekend in August

It's a shame to skip July. The two months with least rain are July and August. Of course, if you don't have A/C, then maybe it is not so great.

Is there going to be a meet in September? Or do people give up because that month is just too busy for everyone PLUS it begins to rain again....

There was no meet last september.

Most of us are pretty normal

we dont have to skip july. if people want to do something between now and august, then by all means. we were just trying to get the planning out of the way for this overnight trip and figured we might as well post the details while we were at it.

>if you don't have A/C
>there's cars with no A/C in the burger market as we speak
wew lad
I thought that was a thing of the past by now

we could just have it as a full blown meet if enough people are interested

you do realize not all of us drive new cars right?
most new cars are shit

I agree, but I thought most American cars had A/C since at least the 80s, and since you guys usually drive midsize cars or bigger it sounded weird to me that they wouldn't have A/C

hammer out a route and get some details posted up and lets see what happens.
anyone is welcome to throw a meet together.

99% of burger cars have a.c. but some people drive shitboxes where the a.c. eventually stops working and sometimes the part costs almost as much as the car is worth

To fix my AC I'd need to be able to find somewhere that sells R-12, and I don't think that's happening.

>most
>usually

you even said it yourself, there are plenty of exeptions.

>but some people drive shitboxes where the a.c. eventually stops working
Yup, I see lots of cars like that. Even in the hottest july and august days in seattle, those drivers have their windows open. They're sweating like mad. Either they are sadists who don't care that everyone else smells their sweat when they go shopping or go back home, or they are trying to make their car seat wet with stinky butt crack juice.

When those sweaty people go into the store and walk past me, that sweat has gone thru their butt crack and soaked their back of their clothing with butt crack juice. So they smell stinky like feces.

>I thought that was a thing of the past by now
It's not even possible to buy the current generation of my car's make without A/C. The base model has it.

>a lot of us agreed that the speeds we moved at on the first meet this year werent a good idea
Lots of people also like speed and require radios as long as the slowpokes remain in range of the radio which might not be for long in hilly terrain.

>if they can't keep up, then they shouldn't come
Is this the changing nature of the WA meet group?

Norcal has more speed. Here's a pic of one result of their 2-day meet which ended today Sunday July 02, 2017.

I'm all for comfy meets. If the meets become all about hektik skids I'll probably start scheduling my own meets with blackjack and hookers.

and booze?
we're not trying to be cali 2.0 so getting hektik isnt a big deal if we get to the point that people want to we'll get two leaders so we all end up at the same end points

i have 401a which is a drop in replacement.

Isn't 401a highly flammable?

No, it just turns into phosgene gas when put through a flame.

>i have 401a which is a drop in replacement.
When I bought my new car, the A/C always seemed to be not as cold as all those other older cars I've ridden in as a kid or drove as an adult. Is it my imagination? But sometimes, I wonder if my A/C is defective. The driver manual isn't informative on that aspect of coldness and how "cold" it should be.

Should the air have a certain temperature? I could put a thermometer there to verify. When I called the dealership, the service writer said I could bring my in-warranty car in for an exam, but if there was no problem found, I would be charged the examination fee of roughly $200. I asked details, and of course they don't respond saying the details are with the technicians and if I was to find out, I'd have to pay the exam fee.

Is there a standard temperature for A/C air coming out the vent? 40 degrees Fahrenheit? Should it be colder than that? Warmer?

Did y'all ever use the baofengs in your meets?

Friends don't let friends drive their cars

yes, we used them quite a bit

>Did y'all ever use the baofengs in your meets?
Not in an organized way. People who had them used the radios for themselves. No one used them to lead groups of people who didn't have baofengs.

r12 is one of the most effective refrigerants we had.
now with 134a its less energy dense but can still run the same temps, im sure they limit it a little more than r12 in temp regulation with modern controls but 40f is pretty good cooling and about all you should expect.
newer cars seem pick up a lot of solar heat in the plastics and dont seem to be as direct with the cooling on you either so that may all contribute to it as well.
my work van is a new transit 250 and its ac blows about 40-44f and flat out doesnt keep up on 80+ days because of the heatload from the sun on the interior.

anyone following someone with a baofeng did fine. we ran word up the line that we lost guys at the start and stopped to wait for them but they never showed after almost half an hour and none of them had radios including the one that initially turned down the wrong road

>including the one that initially turned down the wrong road
Three cars went down the wrong road and lost everyone. One of the three turned around early but the other two kept on going in the wrong direction. Eventually they turned around and went to the park entrance where there was still no one. At the entrance, last year, people were separated due to the two delays in paying the entrance fee. But people parked and waited for others.

This worked for the two that were lost when they came back. One had the much slower line because the ranger in that booth was chatty and talked to most cars. The other booth simply took payment and handed out the printed materials. But at least the cars waited for each other to avoid separation. Eventually, this pair of cars spotted a third of the pack parked at the wide spot in an intersection and joined purely by chance. While not quite half of a pack, it was better than nothing. This group had the person with cookout gear and cookout food. It also had the person with drinks and snacks.

Where did the other half go? Their fate is unknown. But maybe they went to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_triangle

The driving style of this year's meets is distinctly different from last year.

This year, people usually kept going if people fell behind due to traffic. Most of the time, no one waited for those behind to pass other cars to catch up. Last year, the pack would slow down and the people behind would catch back up, pass any intervening cars, and people would continue. A zero loss rate despite a big lack of radios.

So, while there is talk of being in a pack, there is no pack solidarity. Last year, it was camaraderie that kept the pack together. This year, it seemed to be baofeng that kept half the pack together unless those others fell out of range. Then the baofeng were of no use.

It's the stop signs and traffic lights that fouled things up. Once people left the stop sign and got onto the road, they kept going instead of pulling onto the shoulder to wait for the pack to reform after the stop sign.

I lost sight of the pack in front and back of me due to this. I have a radio, but its range is shitty inside the car.

>At the entrance, last year, people were separated due to the two delays in paying the entrance fee. But people parked and waited for others.
There was also no other roads to take a wrong turn down up there.
and the driving style shifted because we have a distinctly different group of people with us now that aren't adhering to etiquette too well.
plus leaving from where we did for rainier, if you googled our destination it would run you the wrong way so that wasnt helping those that got separated

>This year, it seemed to be baofeng that kept half the pack together unless those others fell out of range. Then the baofeng were of no use.
i was running tail on the pack with the baofeng and radiod ahead and tried flagging and honking for the guys in the wrong turn lane to get out and only one did.
i didnt follow the others into town center since i didnt have any way to contact them outside of yelling at them and i was too far back to catch the lead of that group.

yeah this goes back to the etiquette issue which we will be changing the system for the next meet.
thatll end up with a set of waypoints on the route so everyone can navigate autonomously and probably enforcing the sight rule better.

sure would be fun, if I could afford 2 tanks of gas

work the streets for a couple nights

not gay tho

I'm not gay either but $20 is $20

Well, no time like the present to change that...

mouseposting

I don't suppose an autist has already written up a pdf of how to stay in a convoy according to modern security and military tactics?

anyone willing to haul some firewood for this meet since i wouldnt count on a whole lot being available where we camp

call up /k/, they've probably got a full manual on it

freedom day bump