I'm trying to learn to drift in my automatic shitbox, and apparently to do so I need to do the following:

I'm trying to learn to drift in my automatic shitbox, and apparently to do so I need to do the following:

>Drive forward and turn the steering wheel hard into your first turn, press the clutch down (for automatic cars: shift into and then out of "N")
>yank and release the e-brake quickly
>now release the clutch, floor the gas pedal, and let go of the steering wheel just enough to cause the rear of your car to slide.
>Clutch pedal down, e-brake on then off, clutch pedal released, floor the gas. Let steering wheel naturally return toward center. Easy.

What the fuck is this shit? How many fucking hands do they think I have? I have to put the car in and out of Neutral and then immediately yank and release the e-brake?

How the FUCK am I supposed to manage that?

>e-brake drifting

are you driving a FF car?

FF car?

All I know is that my car's engine is where it normally should be and that it's a RWD.

>shift in and out of "N"

obvious bait is obvious unless your car is 20 years old.

i can dorifto my autotragic by using inertia/weight transfer and putting it into """""(((((manual)))))""""" mode so it doesnt change gear by itself.

FF is Front engine, Front Wheel Drive.

You should not need the handbrake.

user, I'm just reading whatever is on this website. Also, my car is 19 years old, so close enough?

So do I just use the feint method, which looks to be what you do, and keep it in 1st or 2nd gear?

Have you tried buying a manual car?
Or at the very least not having a shitbox?

ok. what i mean is in most automatics made recently you can't switch between neutral and drive without being stopped and having your foot on the brake. my E34 you could slam it into neutral then back in to drive while on the move but it didnt have enough power to actually break loose.

if you are serious, start with the Power-Over section, it's not true "drifting" before the autists come raining down on me but it's a start. Otherwise keep it in D, engage any "sport mode" options you have so it holds the same gear for longer and either use the e-brake or the feint method.

good luck, dont die.

>Floor the gas and turn the steering wheel

That doesn't make any sense though, wouldn't I just turn normally? And if I do a hard left turn then quickly steer back to the right and control it to drift through a left turn corner, isn't that just the feint method?

It doesn't make sense desu

>That doesn't make any sense though, wouldn't I just turn normally?

the idea is that your car has enough power to spin the wheels when you floor it. In fact, that's a very good point. Can you, just by slamming your foot on the gas, do a wheelspin?

>Can you, just by slamming your foot on the gas, do a wheelspin?

Yes, I've unfortunately had to experience this issue multiple times because it's currently winter here so the roads are covered in either rain or mud. And because my tires are absolute dogshit, whenever I try to anymore than at a snail's pace, the wheels start skidding and if I don't let go immediately I will lose control and spin out like I did once before.

This all happens in front of traffic too so not only is it embarrassing it's also dangerous for me, cause if I'm skidding in the middle of the road and there's three lanes of cars coming at me at 80kmh I'm fucked.

Good. Turn the wheel, slam the gas, countersteer and see if you can hold it.

what car is it?

Are you retarded?

Cool, thanks. I'll have to try that out whenever it rains next.

It's an ER34.

I haven't been diagnosed yet, I don't like hospitals.

>shift into and then out of "N"

How long do you think that trans will last?

Er34 as in the nissan skyline gtr? That's awd not rwd.
I'm assuming that you are
Drifting with awd isn't quite the same as rwd

Yep, Skyline R34, although the ER34 (25GT and the GTT) are RWD. The GT-R is AWD.

GTS-T is RWD i think.

OP in all honesty find a skid pan or a track near you doing drifting days and practice if you're serious, otherwise stick to power-over coming out of corners.

also remember to turn off traction control.

There's a nice race track sort of near me, I'll have to visit it someday and see how I can try my car out there.

I don't think my car even has traction control desu.

Just fucking do it. You'll know you're doing it wrong when you slam sideways into a tree.

ER34 is RWD. BNR34 is the GT-R which is the only AWD R34 just shortened to R34 most of the time with ER being used to refer to non GT-R models. (Unless there was a GTS4 but IDK if there was for the R34 off the top of my head)

lol reading a lot of advice from ppl that either dont drift or want you to crash your car.

first of all you can drift anything and anyone that says it has to be rwd or manual probably just watch drift competitions or play videogames because there is absolutely no reason to hate on stuff like handbrake powerslides except in terms of style and technique.

if you're new to drifting you need handbrake practice. powering over is the easiest way to drift but most shitbox cars that you're willing to crash will either be front wheel or low horsepower

since you're driving automatic youre gonna be limited to braking drifts at safe speeds. in a manual car you can kick the clutch while turning to initiate a drift. you can also keep it in 2nd gear to keep it sliding. An automatic car will be prone to upshifting or downshifting when you dont want it to and you will lose wheelspin in low hp cars at low speed.

Horsepower is a crutch though. weight transfer is the real trick to drifting and suspension setup will let you drift nearly anything.

Technique wise, in a lot of economic shitboxes even pulling the handbrake wont lock the back wheels while driving. This is for a number of reasons. The best thing to do is learn to use the foot pedal brake WITH the handbrake as a double aasist to ensure it locks up. Also braking before a turn then letting off the brakes and THEN handbraking will work wonders. You will spin a lot of 180s and 270s until you figure out the timing and finesse of it all. With automatic cars you general have to floor it after initiating a drift.

Also look up scandanavian flicks. This will teach you how to use your weight and momentum to in a sense slingshot you car.

Anyway practice all of this in a safe place like an open parking lot or track. Also be ready to pay for dented wheels and fucked up tires. They're cheap used at the junkyard. Don't die. Don't exemplify mustang drivers and hit something or someone and give us a bad name.

>for automatic cars: shift into and then out of "N

>not knowing how to drive an automatic

nigger what the fuck its called a torque converter

>
>An automatic car will be prone to upshifting or downshifting when you dont want it to and you will lose wheelspin in low hp cars at low speed.

>drift my AUTO LS1 V8 trans am at wide open throttle, 1st to 2nd gear 50-70mph, lighting up 275/40r17 tires the whole way

is this a "safe" speed? kek

>feint method

if you actually knew how to drive fast drifting comes naturally

if you can't drive fast you aren't going to be a good drifter because you lack basic car control

is this a "safe" speed? kek

3rd and 4th gear drifting in a manual rwd car is extremely dangerous if you're still learning, even at the track

Are you 10?

>lol reading a lot of advice from ppl that either dont drift or want you to crash your car.

such as? you've just repeated everything in this thread.

Drifting is the absolute slowest way to clear a corner, if you do it you're a fucking loser.

To initiate in an FF, you need to get as little weight on the rear as possible, so trailbraking is a must. If you do it correctly, the rear will give out without even using the handbrake, unless the car is very understeer-y. This is useful for any FF, and under steering FR cars, like the S13 or AE86. In an FR, you can use the throttle to keep the slide perpetual, but this works the opposite way in an FF. Applying throttle will pull the car out of the drift when counter steering. Theoretically, you could keep throttle on if you went in with little to no counter steer, but I've never tried it myself.

With an automatic transmission like you have, this could be very difficult. No need for this D>N>D stuff, that will only serve to ruin your transmission. Use the L to lock it in a low gear, or use the individual gear selectors if you have them. Approach the turn from the outside, a little slower than you normally would. Brake late, and release as soon as you turn in, or risk under steer. Turn sharp into the apex, throttle a little to bring up momentum, cut it, and use the hand brake to lock the rear tires. You may need to pull it a few times. Counter steer as the mass of the car shifts, and apply throttle when you are near the turns exit. Straighten the steering with throttle, and proceed.

Try it yourself, and modify it to your best results.

Have fun spending 5k on a new tranny you retard

this is legit

the thing about rwd drifting is there is WAY more room for error.

you have to be way more committed to really get a fwd car sideways then floor it to straighten the car out. itll feel like driving an AWD car except shitty lol

Well to be fair user, I like to stick to the speed limit of 80kmh.