Why exactly is Carter considered a bad president?

Why exactly is Carter considered a bad president?

Other urls found in this thread:

americanthinker.com/articles/2008/02/americas_three_worst_president.html
huppi.com/kangaroo/L-carterreagan.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because he god stereotyped as weak manlet.

In fact, Reagan receives credit for Carter's achievements like putting an end to stagflation or making the sharp turn in the Cold War.

>god

got

Because when Americans have an accurate self-image, are governed soberly, and aren't murdering anyone overseas, they call it 'malaise'.

>Le Human Rights Man

>carter as a weak manlet
>a stereotype
He was definitely the weakest president of the Cold War.

>making the sharp turn in the Cold War
What? Communists gained more ground under Carter than any other President. He seriously fucked our diplomatic situation in many countries deemed allies (Argentina, Chile, Israel, South Africa) or outright caused their shift toward marches of Moscow (Nicaragua, Angola, Ethiopia). This doesn't even take into account Iran or how fucking awful he handled Afghanistan. Carter was not a very good Cold Warrior and most realists shun him because of it. You can talk about his alteration of the domestic situation, both good or bad, all you like, but Carter absolutely ruined American Cold War foreign policy.

Not bad.

The worst, prior to being displaced by Obama.

There again we have 'malaise', which means 'possessing a memory and a conscience'. All mature nations are pessimistic.

Sort of this. I don't know how common it is to perceive him as a bad president, but most people seem to think he was at least ineffectual.

But, he was handed a shitty plate and had bad luck when it came to things happening overseas when he was in office. He tried, but his time in office was marked by "malaise" and other things that weren't his fault and cause people to have a bad impression of him. But like said, Reagan gets credit for many of his policies that ended up working.

There was actually a "Misery Index" created to describe his presidency.

Imagine you can only buy 5 gallons of gas every Tuesday, according to your license number.

Still happy?

52 hostages 444 days in Iran with nothing but a horrific failure of an attempt to rescue them that ended up crashing and burning in a sandstorm.

Faggots and commies don't like Reagan. Which one are you? Both?

What precisely should he have done differently about it?

Oh hey, I'm the "prick" that called out Washington and Lincoln as being overblown heroes in that thread. AMA

Yes, I don't have any problems with living in the real world.

I don't think you are.

One absurd decision, considered "controversial" by even his ardent supporters, was the final negotiation and signature of the "Panama Canal Treaties" in September 1977. Those treaties, which essentially would transfer control of the American-built Panama Canal to the nation of Panama, were bitterly opposed by a majority of the American public. The treaties transferred a great strategic American asset - one that nearly 30,000 men died while constructing it over a decade -- to a corrupt third-world military dictatorship. Mr. Carter could not care less.

America's worst president also terminated the Russian wheat deal, which was intended to establish trade with USSR and lessen Cold War tensions. Even as a former farmer, Carter didn't value the grain exports, which would have been beneficial to many people employed in agriculture. This embargo marked the beginning of terrible hardship for American farmers.

If all that were not tragic enough, the main conflict between human rights and U.S. interests came in Carter's dealings with the Shah of Iran. Though Carter's presidency was marked by several major crises, the final year of his term arguably was his worst. It was dominated by the Iran Hostage Crisis, during which the United States struggled to rescue diplomats and American citizens held hostage in Tehran, paving the way for the rise of Radical Islam now threatening the free world.

americanthinker.com/articles/2008/02/americas_three_worst_president.html

>That's the point. He couldn't do anything because he's a fucking awful president.

>Carter was okay with letting a foreign government control something that exists within its own borders

>He stopped the "Great Grain Robbery" that was basically ripping off taxpayers to support grain trade we didn't need

>He couldn't control a revolution that happen in fucking Iran during the last year of his presidency.

Yeah, those are real failures.

You realize Torrijos was about to blow up the canal.

Why the fuck would you use an incredibly biased editorial on a Republican's view of his least favorite Democrats as a source for why you're right? Just because you found something on the internet that you agree with doesn't mean it's correct.

top kek silly user

Jimmy Carter is who I consider the genuine president. I think he really did want to see the world change for the better and wanted the American people to prosper. But economic downfall was happening. A lot of people saw him as weak which I think is what made people see him as being too weak.

He did get out shined by reagan because reagan took credit for a lot of things Carter worked very hard to end such as the hostage situation but reagan took all the credit similar to Obama when he got Osama after Clinton and Bush spent a shit ton of resources and time to find him. I think Carter himself was just a good guy who found himself in a position he couldn't handle.

Fuck right of with your revisionist sCarter gave up his last year, and hid from the worldhe helped create.
Betray the Shaw.
Fuck with the Soviets over Trashcanistan.
Run fuck all inflation, and fuck high interest rates.
Be full of malaise and sorry shit.
He was shit, and Regan saved us.

>You realize Torrijos was about to blow up the canal.

The Panamanians were incapable of doing jack shit and were only able to make those threats because Carter was obviously a pussy.

>Panamanians send sappers to blow up canal gates
>US goes to war against Panama
>Panamanians overwhelming opposed to US occupation
>another rumble in the jungle
>two years after Vietnam

or

>agree to give up the canal, in another 20 years

Out of all the things to complain about, this is one of the stupidest.

"Words had to change their ordinary meaning and to take that which was now given them. Reckless audacity came to be considered the courage of a loyal ally; prudent hesitation, specious cowardice; moderation was held to be a cloak for unmanliness; ability to see all sides of a question, inaptness to act on any. Frantic violence became the attribute of manliness; cautious plotting, a justifiable means of self-defence. The advocate of extreme measures was always trustworthy; his opponent a man to be suspected. To succeed in a plot was to have a shrewd head, to divine a plot a still shrewder; but to try to provide against having to do either was to break up your party and to be afraid of your adversaries."
-Thucydides on experienced civil strife.

Let's see, wrecked economy and the debt went through the roof.

>but as le leftypol le government will magic all our problems

Government is made up of people who are as prone to making mistakes as you and I.

>Panamanians send sappers to blow up canal gates
>U.S. forces shoot them
>U.S. deposes Torrijos
>Panamanians welcome the U.S. with open arms
>a Golden Age is inaugurated

>Let's see, wrecked economy and the debt went through the roof.
huppi.com/kangaroo/L-carterreagan.htm

>Panamanians welcome the U.S. with open arms
>when the US invaded them in order to screw them out of their clay

doubt.jpg

>who defeated it by putting the country into an artificial recession

So did the same thing but it wasn't out of his control so it was somehow better for the economy.

Are you retarded?

>So did the same thing but it wasn't out of his control so it was somehow better for the economy.
What fucking point are you trying to make?

History's greatest monster

Told Americans to live within their means but they didn't want to.

>implying Obama was the worst and not Warren G. Harding

Surely James Buchanan deserves the worst spot.

He's a nice guy, and nice guys give away stuff for free. That's a bad thing when you're the US President.

The same reason Reagan is considered a good president, memes.

I would really love for a presidential candidate or even a talking head to come out and say that Reagan was a bad president. But even the Democrats are afraid to do it. They will criticize all of his policies (especially trickle down economics) but never mention him by name. He's become canonized as an American saint alongside the founding fathers.

In his defense, he took down The Evil Empire with his tag team buddy Jan Pawel II. Hating the man that killed the Soviet Union is like hating the man that killed the Third Reich. No one talks shit about Truman either really.

>Implying the Soviets weren't going to collapse no matter what and Reagan just happened to be in office at the right time to claim credit for it.

That goes against academic consensus. Most academics use Reagan forcing the Soviets into more defense spending and John Paul furthering national dissent for collapsing Soyuz when it did. Without the defense spending, the dissent would have been manageable. Without the Catholics spreading dissent into Poland which spread from there, the Soviets could have kept up with defense spending more easily without internal backlash. I'm not giving the man full credit, but I'm definitely giving him half.

You might as well give credit to the butterfly flapping its wings too.

Not an argument.

A peanut farmer? Really? Probably the last decent US prez, just that whole oil embargo shock thing and the wear your sweaters thing scared people.

Plus the whole foreign policy debacles in the middle of the Cold fucking War.

It was Carter's appointments and policies that brought an end to stagflation, chief of which was Volcker.

They worked in spite of Reagan fucking everything up, not because of him. But he gets the credit because memes.

Reagan was a shit tier president and a large part of the reason why America is currently in the shitter.

He's a Democrat so naturally people will be unfairly biased against him, it's just the way of the world.
Look at poor Obama despite his list of Great of accomplishments people still give him a hard time.

>giving Obama credit for things he literally didn't do

He literally beheaded Bin Laden with his own sword.

Truman has little to do with it, and FDR gets plenty of hate.

non american here.
Tell me more about mr Carter.

Um then how do we credit presidents before and after then

Told americans the hard truth that they were too indulgent. Because of that he will forever be unpopular.

>little political experience but people were sick of politicians due to the scandals of Nixon
>President during OPEC's oil embargo
>President during Iranian Revolution
>to reduce fuel consumption, set speed limits at 55 because it saves gas and lives
>tried to get the metric system adopted
>agreed to give the Panama Canal back
>expected a lot of trouble with Soviets, but instead it was the Middle East
>secured release of Iranian hostages but they were released the day of Reagan's inauguration as a fuck you
>most successful post-presidency still going today

>he was a good guy in a bad place
>tried to do the best thing
>will forever be hated for it.
so he was batman?

He was an American who was actually moderately left wing.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

52 hostages.

444 days.

Daily reminder that cuck Reagan stole Jimmy's thunder when Carter was busy fucking negotiating for the Iranian-embassy hostage release, but Reagan claimed credit

>secures the release of the hostages
>released on the day reagan is swearing his oath.
>this means reagan freed them.

Stagflation, aka "the death of Keynesian economic", had been in effect since Nixon turned the US dollar into a fiat reserve currency. Carter's Fed Chair Paul Volcker eventually, under Reagan, fixed Stagflation.

The 79 Oil Crisis was caused by market speculation because of drop in production by Iran. In reality there was no shortage. As Saudi Arabia had increased production. Carter also deregulated domestic prices on oil. Which greatly increased domestic exploration, drilling, and pumping of oil. Which made a lot of americans rich, during Reagan. It also lead to the Oil Glut in the late 80s. Which greatly harmed Soviet exports and economy.

The Iran Hostage Crisis. Carter sent a military rescue misison. The problem was the Generals and Admirals fucked things up. The Muhreens wanted to be invovled but they couldn't do mid air refueling. So they came up with this plan to land the helicopters and some cargo planes in the Iranian desert, to refuel. This caused helicopters to crash into planes, scrubbing the mission. Carter probably could have got the hostages back if he handed over the Shah. Yet Carter, for what ever reason didn't want to hand of an already dying man over to be executed. Reagan committed treason with the Iranians to get the hostages back.

Though what probably really did Carter in was the "crisis of confidence" speech. Where Carter said things are going to suck and we need to work hard. He told Americans to turn the heater down and put on a sweater.

I forgot he also negotiated the Camp David Accords, establishing peace between Israel and Egypt

>exists within it's own borders
EXECPT IT FUCKING DIDN'T YOU KEK IT WAS OUR PROPERTY.
Their borders ended at the boundaries of OUR property therefore pur property could not possibly exist within their borders.

I bet you think our embassy in Iran was within Iran's "borders" and therefore fair game too right?
Why the fuck do you left cucks have such a hard time grasping the concept of national sovereignty and property rights? If I park my car in your garage you do not suddenly gain ownership of my car.

Yes I am fucking mad.
I'm sick to death of you spineless people with no sense of pride or self-respect.

Election in November.
Inauguration in January.
Hostages released in January.

Yeah, that was totally Carter. Not fear of Reagan at all.

They rewrite history to make their idiotic and asinine fools the hero of the story. It's all they have.

>the iranians were so scared of reagan that they released the hostages the same day he came to power.

Well, he fucking GAVE AWAY the Panama Canal....

Correct.

>b-but user the Panamanians threatened to blow it up...
THEN WE SHOULD HAVE CALLED THEIR BLUFF AND CARPET BOMBED THEIR CAPITAL IF THEY DID.

Better it winds up ruined beyond repair than our enemies get to steal from us without consequence.

>international crises are not solved by diplomatic actions over a period of time, but by strongmen who are so effective that they solve major problems the day they come to power.

>cannot restrain themselves from using CAPSLOCK or name calling in their weak counter argument

You can credit Jimmy Carter's foreign policy fuck ups to Jimmy Carter because he did that. You can't give credit to Obama for the stock market (speculation), the job market (hasn't actually recovered), gas prices(OPEC fuckery), insurance (more Americans are insured yes, but are less financially secure because of absurd insurance prices that they don't need), the deficit (the deficit was lowered IN SPITE OF HIM, had congress not be house controlled, it would have continued to spiral out of control), or ending the wars (both troop pull outs were ordered by W., Obama had nothing to do with them). It's one thing to give a President credit or slam them for something they did or let happen. It's another to give them credit for something they didn't do.

>National sovereignty
>weak counterargument
I bet when you get mugged by a hoodlum you justify surrendering your property by saying "well I WAS in his hood so I guess my wallet really is his rightful property, I should check my privilege".

explain reagan then.

>lets murder thousands of people at the height of the cold war in a country that is right next door to the US and destroy the panama canal which is important for trade because we have got to show off our big military benis.

Reagan killed Soyuz. You can give him credit for that. Reagan was not the jobs savior that the right makes him out to be and actively hurt the economy in the long term. You can slam him for that. See how this works?

The more sure the country became that Obama would be nominated, and then elected, the lower the stock market went. It crashed because Obama was going to be the president.

It recovered because Obama threw $10,000,000,000,000 at it.

The "2008" crisis began in 2007.

>It recovered because Obama threw $10,000,000,000,000 at it.
No, it didn't.

>It's bad if America destroys the Panama canal because it's important for global trade
>It's OK though for Panama to threaten to blow up the Panama canal even though it's important for global trade because Panamanians are brown people and my Marxist professor told me brown people can never be wrong.

Killing people who try to steal from you isn't murder.
:^)

>burgers literally give weapons to the people who invaded their sovereign territory and took their people hostage.

Iran into some trouble.

Let's not confuse the issue here we're talking about Carter.

>being this reasonable on Veeky Forums

This guy raises a good point.

Americans living above their standard is what caused the 2008 crisis.

Nuclear weapons, now.

you don't because it's literally a meme position

>literally
Stop misusing that word, cunt.

>HURRRRRR EMBASIES ARE NOT TRRRITORY OF HOST NATION DURRR
This board has the worst bait

>Chile
Chilean intelligence carried out assassinations on american allies and killed a US citizen. They also killed moderate centrists like Frei Montalva who were sympathetic to the US and got involved with italian terrorists that tried to undermine NATO. Giving them the finger and supporting the democratic movement was the only option, otherwise it would be basically flushing resources into a banana republic.

>ended two wars

Hmmmmmmm

t. Redneck

Be fair user. You are basically right but Reagan made it happen a few years earlier by starting a new arms race and trippling national debt in the process.

>No sense of pride or self respect

Jeezuz. American exceptionalism really fucked with your head. This dimwitted Muh we restart stronk attitude is the reason for muricas fucked up foreign policy.

>Occupy Democrats
That's literally one of the worst partisan hack pages I've seen around

>You are basically right but Reagan made it happen a few years earlier by starting a new arms race and trippling national debt in the process.

It's funny because its true.

He gave North Korea nuclear technology.

A disastrous idiot,

Reagan gave pakistan nuclear weapons.
One has actual delivery systems and is a country overrun by fundamentalist mujahids, and the other is full of starving gooks.