Can you use any liquids other than water in a water to air intercooler for improved cooling?

Can you use any liquids other than water in a water to air intercooler for improved cooling?

I.e. methanol or liquid nitrogen?

Inb4 piss or cum

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/z_mmmXTbLP0
guru3d.com/news-story/danamics-lmx-superleggera-(liquid-metal)-cpu-cooler-review.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Piss..... AND cum

It's like the air/fuel balance OP

You could probably use some sort of water wetter to improve heat transmission but surely manufacturers would have already done it if it were advantageous.
Setting up a water spray on the radiator might make a difference.
Going to water/meth injection would be the next step in keeping charge air cool

Freon

>I.e. methanol or liquid nitrogen?
no thats dumb
water has a very high specific heat or heat density so it can absorb lots of energy before it gets hot, which is good for cooling

methanol has a lower specific heat, and is flammable on top of that so it wouldn't be a very good coolant

liquid nitrogen wouldn't be any good either since it wouldn't stay liquid, the thing that makes liquid nitrogen so cold is the phase change from a liquid to a gas (just like freon in an air-conditioner) so in order to make it work you'd need to compress it back to a liquid which isn't easy

and on top of this, it doesn't even address the flaws with water to air heat exchangers

this looks incredibly inefficient.

I know some boiracers spray water on the intercooler, to take advantage of evaporative cooling to squeeze a little more performance out of it. Does it work any better than painting your intercooler black? Who knows.

>painting your intercooler black
this actually worsens cooling

No. Water has a breddy good heat capacity. The only thing better would probably be an ammonia solution of some kind and that has a lot of problems on its own (super poisonous).

Yes but it adds 5hp

No. For several reasons:
1. Most of the intercoolers emission isn't in the visible spectrum.
2. Painting it adds contact resistance as well as insulation. It now performance worse regardless.

Which are?

>Rattlecanning the intercooler

Here's why that's wrong

youtu.be/z_mmmXTbLP0

the big one is that you have less distance to remove the heat, and less surface area on the actual intake cooler than a conventional intercooler, on top of that it's often heavier than a simpler air to air set up since you now have two heat exchangers and a bunch of water to lug around

there's plenty of stuff out there. go look up NaK (sodium+potassium metal) its used on some more extreme nuclear reactors
its just that water is cheap, not dangerous like 2 alkali metals at the same time, and really, really good at its job.

>NaK
the NaK would probably erode away the coolers from the inside out, and then burst into flames when it hit the open air

it wouldnt erode the cooler, given that neither of those bond with copper.
there are cpu coolers with NaK inside their heatpipes, and they're going strong with a 0% failure rate.
although youre just asking for trouble, and that water is much, much more stable, its doable and not a problem.

especially for a cpu, it works more as a fad than anything else, but it works, i guess
this is the cooler btw guru3d.com/news-story/danamics-lmx-superleggera-(liquid-metal)-cpu-cooler-review.html

Guys... Can I I have clear coolant hoses with led in them in my engine bay to look cool?

Aren't air to water much more efficient and effective at cooling though?

yeah, its the modern form of herpes, surprised cars havent caught it yet
or actually they have, show cars at the very least.
looks hideous 2bh.

No, they have more heat capacity though.