What kind of afterlife do modern christians believe in?

What kind of afterlife do modern christians believe in?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblehub.com/leviticus/12-8.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Same as ancient Christians

I think OP is referring to new agent Rob Bell-esque nonliteralists.

In that case, they rely heavily on the God of Gaps theory to explain unknown things. This is a regression in the theistic tradition (that is an actual thing, not sarcasm) and a disappointment to their mothers and fathers who actually stood for something regardless of being wrong.

Modern Christians are too scared to commit to something genuinely spiritual openly and confidently. They believe in their feelings and notions but amongst their young liberal allies (there are no old or nonliberal modern christians), they confess to "not really knowing" what's real (meaning literally true) except that Jesus died in crucifixion and rose again.

Speaking to the afterlife, Rob Bell wrote a whole book about Hell. But let me save you a bunch of silly, silly hours. He typifies the Modern Christian (who are agnostic superhero lovers, really) as someone who understands using their big logical brains that Hell is not a literal place but a metaphorical condition of torment that we endure by not achieving everything he can on earth. That would be actually somewhat insightful if not for the prison of disclaimers that the insight is buried within; namely, still believing in the crucifixion and god/superheroes.

Reincarnation

*Resurrection

It's not resurrection if you can come back as a pretty butterfly or a spooky ghost.

Yeah, the Buddhist part of Christianity which is about 1/3, the other thirds being Roman Paganism and of course Judaism.

The Buddhas ultimate goal is to not reincarnate as the Christians ultimate goal is not go to hell, they go about these things in completely different ways though because Christianity reinforces the feudal aspect of life - respecting your lord and all that while the Buddhist seeks enlightenment to the point of letting go.

That's not what Christians believe.

OP said Modern Christians

The one where you get your wishes granted if your good and the one where get tortured for eternity for being naughty.

>Repent and stuff: pretty good afterlife
>Don't repent: bad times

I'm sure someone's got it more thought out than this.

I was thinking more about things like if you float to heaven immediately when you croak or sit in your grave until judgement day.

...is judgement day even canon?

come on can I get a reply

there's a tradition that prior to the last judgment the souls of the righteous rest in a place called 'abraham's bosom' until they are ultimately physically resurrected.

in terms of how you experience it, i imagine that you die and then immediately experience the last judgment/resurrection. the resurrected then get to experience all the joys of the new heavens and new earth which haven't been corrupted by sin so it's basically living in eden but even better because there's no sneaky serpent to trick you.

and yes judgment day is canon (matthew 25:31-46)

It's sort of cute to look back at pre and early medieval thinkers within the Judaist and Christian faith pretty much rejecting the idea of an afterlife and bodily resurrection as a naive interpretation of what the good books have to say, yet come to the conclusion that it's better to maintain that front for the simple folk that can't read or write, let alone interpret nuanced allegories and symbolism.

the bodily resurrection is LITERALLY part of the creeds...

This but with clouds and angels playing harps

Doesn't Jesus/God destroy all the unbelievers' souls once he creates the kingdom of God on Earth?

>Dude it's all a metaphor lmao!
>Heaven and hell are rich symbols that really mean x and y (whatever we can think of)!
>Christ's resurrection was just a metaphor lmao silly fedoras!
>everything that science debunk is a metaphor lmao!

so what kind of resurrection did they believe in then

you realize all that is way too unfalsifiable to debunk

they believed in a physical bodily resurrection:

>σαρkὸς ἀνάστασιν, ζωὴν αἰώνιον.

that user is baiting

Are you German? I'm obviously parodying christards and their favorite tactic of saying everything that is proven wrong about the bible is just a metaphor and we are the silly ones for not getting it.

Biblical literalists are a minority within the church.

Yeah after modern science has BTFO the bible. I understand that from Galileo onwards the only way to remain a Christian is playing pretend (that or being an educated country bumpkin or a low IQ nigger).

>educated
I meant uneducated. Damn it.

>It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation

- (The Literal Interpretation of Genesis 1:19–20 [A.D. 408]).

A mix of pop-culture ideas, with Dante as a big influence. Literal fanfiction, basically.
Yeah right, everyone knows your spirit is aware while bound to your body until Judgment Day.
>upon death, the spirit is buried with the deceased body, forever trapped inside the rotting flesh and rancid bones of the corpse, until it is released into the afterlife.
Lev 12:8
Now you're just being silly, user.

Forgot my cool map

biblehub.com/leviticus/12-8.htm

Das awesome doe.

Christian fanfic is better than the religion.

Most modern Christans are agnostic/disinterested/uninformed enough to not even hold a coherent absolute view.
Those who still hold onto the end times resurrection model tend to be the more fundamental minority, the average modern Christian buys into the medieval fan fiction model of heaven or hell, or some vague notions of re-incarnation (latched on to Christianity by scholars attempting to merge its tenets with other eastern philosophies and ideas), or shift between the two, often latching on some sort of spirit belief when they loose loved ones as a way to comfort themselves with their still lingering presence.

Fuck off, proddy. What I said is black on white in the REAL Bible.

Aquinas' God is better than Yahweh. Christian philosophy is better than Paul's anti philosophical epistles. And so on. Christianity, to the extent and inasmuch as it is European, is good. Christianity, to the extent and inasmuch as it is Judaic, is bad. Make positive Christianity great again.

Yahweh is literally a desert jinn, delighting in the smell of burnt offerings and on babies' foreskins. As far removed from Plato's Good God and Aristotle's Unmoved Mover as conceivably possible.

Jesus cult was a Hellenistic mystery religion.

Probably some protestant heresy.

Yes but christianity is essentially greek despite that. Christians claim their god is yahweh, but the god they actually worship is Plato's.

The imaginary kind

Jehova in bible refers to both demiurge and Eternal Unmoved Mover.

>What unto me is the multitude of your sacrifices? saith Jehovah: I have had enough of the burnt-offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he-goats.

This God Yhwh does not delight in burnt offerings, as the Demiurge Yhwh "does".

>למה־לי רב־זבחיכם יאמר יהוה שבעתי עלות אילים וחלב מריאים ודם פרים וכבשים ועתודים לא חפצתי׃

>יהוה

The names of the Lord do represent dual nature of the demiurge (which is not all evil and all good) and also the God who is One, the Spirit of Truth mentioned through the prophets.

>Judea was desolate, and their cities burned. This awakened them to bring sacrifices and offerings, as if they would bribe God to remove the punishment, and give them leave to go on in their sin

Not an argument

Memes

How do we know he wasn't divinely inspired, user?

Either way, Dante's version is absolutely based and completely compatible with the dogma, and it's a hell of a good set of lessons.

>Either way, Dante's version is absolutely based and completely compatible with the dogma
No, it isn't. The Bible is clear about what Hell is, and it looks nothing like Dante's. Dante's Hell is actually way closer to various versions of Vedic Hell (Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.)

t. Protestant cuckold

I'm talking about his views on sin, how its forgiven, how its punished, and why it's a sin in the first place.