Timing chain on my audi rs4 just went bye byes. how hard is this going to be to diy?

timing chain on my audi rs4 just went bye byes. how hard is this going to be to diy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OpCJzdWxEbQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Google it, you dumb nigger.
You can't do it with the engine in the engine bay.

it's gone

Depends if your engine is interference or not. If it's an interference engine, your engine is bricked.

this. Although since Audi is VW it's interference and the engine is fuckin toast. Guy down my street had his timing chain go out on his R32, thing hasn't ran in over 2 years. It's done.

>buy an RS4
>be too much of a poorfag not to be able to properly maintain it (i.e. take it to a proper shop to fix

Kill yourself my man.

>Not wanting to work on your own car

Fuck off back to your cuckshed

How many miles?

Have an rs5 but trying to sell it atm

Post your tools and car.

Post a picture of your mothers asshole faggot and then i'll post my pictures. What are you a detective? Kill yourself.

These are the words of a teenager who has neither owned or worked on an automobile.

Whatever gave that away? The fact that he's edgelord McInsults or damage control after the fact?

To pull the engine and swap my crankshaft out, I decided it would be cheaper to buy my own tools and parts because I'd save so much on labour.
2k quote drive in drive out 3 days
Took me $350 in parts, $800 in tools (Engine stand, engine crane, torque wrench, tap and die blah blah but it took me about a whole month off and on to get it done, then while I was in there I spent another $400 on parts for things 'that may as well be done'.

Alright, OP. Here's what you'll be dealing with.
Even if your engine isn't completely fucked, that is to say pistons haven't met valves, you'll be pulling the engine and replacing every single timing component visible here. It's literally not possible to do this job with the engine in the car, because this is the flywheel/gearbox side of the engine.

lol engine HAS to come out. timing chain is at the BACK of the engine and its a cunt to do. no its not a do in a afternoon job.

Put an LS in it and never have to deal with VW's retarded """"""""engineering"""""""" again.

Youd be better off with a whole new chassis at this point, instead of some understeer Audi barge.

I've seen this image a bunch here, and i still dont understand why it was built like this. I'm sure there is some justification but it seems totally over engineered.

True, OP should just sell his German hunk of junk and get a CTS-V.

I can sort of see why they did it that way. In Audis, the transmission is positioned between the front wheels, and the engine hangs out in front of it. This means if they want the car to be even remotely able to turn they have to make the engine as short (front to back) as possible.
Notice how there's only two layers of chains on the back. Almost every accessory is drive from there. Running the chains directly to the cams would've taken up two layers already, then another for the accessories would've resulted in at least 3 layers of chains on the crank.
Basically in their pursuit to make the engine as compact as possible they threw common sense out the window, all that mattered was to get the length down as far as they could.

And yet, the final product ended up larger and heavier in every single way than an LS, while only having 2/3rds the displacement, having next to no additional power potential, and being orders of magnitude less reliable. It's almost fascinating how bad they fucked up, like a train wreck you can't look away from.

you forgot to calculate in the time you used, you could have worked for minimal pay in that time, don't forget to include the time you were researching and looking up stuff online / in books.

He wouldn't have done it if he didn't derive some pleasure and satisfaction from the work.

The R32 isn't even that hard to change the timing chain on if you are mechanically inclined. You do have to drop the transmission, but you don't have to pull the engine. And there are a lot of warning signs before it goes. Most audis you need to pull the engine though.

Is that the speshul engine with the timing chain on the back of the engine?

>tfw still using the stock timing belt on my 29 year old shit box
>never had any problems

kek. how does a timing chain even go "bye bye"? those shits are supposed to be invincible. this is probably just bait trying to get someone to post that meme shot of audi's engine

Yes. All their 4.2 V8s from the early 2000s share the same basic (retarded) design.

Plastic tensioners and even chains can break. Your belt must be full of cracks by now.

Everything breaks eventually. It's just that most of the time, timing chains last much longer than timing belts.

On those Audis it's usually not the chain itself that snaps, it's the tensioners and guides that crack/break, causing the chain to skip teeth and as a result introducing 8 pistons to 40 (or 32, depending on the version of the engine) valves.

Well bricked is such a harsh word. Probably have bent the valves and damaged the cylinder head. Will probably need to be replaced or repaired at a machine shop. Depending on the resale value of the car, you may want to sell it to the scrapyard and get something else.

I think the engineers were high when they were at their CAD stations.

Say what you will about the Northstar, at least the timing chain is on the front...

>sell it to the scrapyard
Part it out yourself for and get much more money. The customer does all the work.

"""""""German Engineering""""""""

Audi tech here sorry about your loss you have to take the engine out with the transmission and subframe/chassis it can also be done by removing the complete front end and and hood still a pain in the ass obviously easier with a lift and the engine/transmission table
And your ok Rs5s don't have this issue the only time Rs5s are in is for Evap/emission problems and services. I did have one however that the owner somehow managed to break some theet off the flywheel cracked and destroy bits form the bell housing and starter pretty rare I'll post a pic. I knew the guy personally I was the only one to work on his car when he bought it until he moved out of state. He was a fucking maniac on the road

>how hard is this going to be to diy?
Because you have to take so many things apart to get to it, the engine has to come out of the car. You sound unfamiliar, so you can imagine already how many hoses there are. You'll have to drain fluids of course before you remove the engine

And if you remove the engine, there are probably some other things you might as well take care of while you're at it. If you don't have an engine hoist and an engine stand, that is more expense.

From the picture, you can see the various chain guides. If your timing chain broke, the guides for it might also need replacement. Now don't put the chains back on with the gears in the incorrect position. Someone else in another thread last year posted about a DIY error which trashed his engine again because the timing chain was incorrectly positioned due to misunderstanding.

German engineering is fucking retarded. I hope they are proud of their HP/L because that's all they have.

I don't believe that an LS engine can even fit in the RS4's engine bay.

Can find the Rs5 pics but to OP this is the proper way to take out engines at the stearliship of course this a Hydrolocked 3.0 from a Q7 with chains on the back as well

Can't

It's smaller in every dimension than the boat anchor 4.2, how would it not?

OP will also need to know what torque the various bolts need to be re-fastened. In other past threads, people replacing bolts would use new ones for certain locations. Are stealerships and independent shops too cheap to do that?

For some reason I can't help but think of this song:

youtube.com/watch?v=OpCJzdWxEbQ

Pic related

How stupid am I for looking at an 06 S4 with 78k miles and it hasn't had the timing guides replaced? I've read that it doesn't necessarily detonate on every engine but just the possibility is making me hesitatant to buy it.

I'm just in need of an AWD fun sedan or wagon. My other targets were S60Rs and V70Rs, but those are stupid rare, nevermind finding one with a manual.

Pls gib advice Veeky Forums

>'m just in need of an AWD fun sedan or wagon

Do you live in fucking Fargo or some shit?

Don't buy a goddamn V8 S4. Timing chain is not a meme.

I just thought I heard somewhere that the 4.2 was specially designed to fit into that engine bay.

Of course, I enjoyed most minutes of it. Lining up the clutch/gearbox spline by myself, however, was not fun.
Learned a bunch along the way, so hard to price that up.

I live in Tahoe. Summers are fine, but this last winter we had a night when 10 feet of snow fell

So yeah, AWD is a must sadly.

Guess I better hope I can find an S60R or V70R before November

>owning a high-end (or formerly high-end) car without comprehensive insurance

ISHYGDDT

inb4 "I want to work on my car"
Fine, knock don't make an insurance claim and go nuts. But those times when you can't afford to do the work or don't have the time to, you'll be happy you have insurance.

topkek, probably the edgiest comment ive seen on here ever

get a memebaru

Leave summer fag